Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

The exhaust is compatible with the ADV Spec soft bag racks 🙂

IMG_5481.thumb.JPG.4ca80b8a055177d499ed248a2f186bfc.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Looking good! Looks like a Ebay $100 Chinese muffler, and ebay shields. It seems like a good way of keeping it simple and ultimately not a high cost upgrade. Fellow inmates have utilised cheaper exhaust options, I can’t see myself investing in a $1000 plus muffler like  an Akrapovic. Removing the muffler from the  drop zone and reducing weight at an affordable price is the most important factors for choosing an muffler upgrade for the T7.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Louis said:

Looking good! Looks like a Ebay $100 Chinese muffler, and ebay shields. It seems like a good way of keeping it simple and ultimately not a high cost upgrade. Fellow inmates have utilised cheaper exhaust options, I can’t see myself investing in a $1000 plus muffler like  an Akrapovic. Removing the muffler from the  drop zone and reducing weight at an affordable price is the most important factors for choosing an muffler upgrade for the T7.

I completely agree with you: cost, weight and secure the muffler.

Is the  muffler out of the drop zone? The huzar muffle has the link pipe brought in closer where the swing arm gets narrow and then goes right behind the passenger foot pegs, with the muffler tucked up high. The only issue I see with a setup like this is dropping it still could bend it in... but I’ll admit it’s hard to tell, and Corey is smarter at designing things for the T7 than I am 😀

if it ticks behind the adventure spec racks I’d imagine it would be compatible with a lot or most other systems  out there. Looks good. I’m just worried about dropping it and bending it is all, and the subsequent damage to the swing arm. 

Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

I found some carbon fibre heat shields that fit (surprisingly well actually) but they make the pipe look like an Armadillo... or a Ninja Turtle.

IMG_5452.JPG

Those don't look too bad for sure, and yes they fit great. Maybe as an option for those who plan on carrying a passenger. I still like the wire look better.

Seems like the carbon guards would get cracked pretty easily when the bike goes down on the right side in rocky terrain. Maybe not. I'm sure Cory has tested the results of multiple fall on this pipe. 

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, Louis said:

Absolutely correct. No need to reinvent the wheel. I'm not a slip-on designer or composites expert so I'll leave that to the people who are.

We needed to standardize the mounting, pipe ID, distance from pipe center-line to mounting center-line, offering a new connector pipe and mount without a muffler isn't an option as a mail out product. If you have a shop and do one-off fabrication projects, you can make anything work. I've been down the custom fabrication road and it's a tough way to make a living.

We had to pick a muffler that was the right size, fit well, looked good and sounded good too. We didn't want this kit to be a $1000 and that wasn't going to happen if we were supplying an $800 brand name muffler with it. I went through several no-name offerings before I settled on this one. The great part about this is that customers can order replacements off ebay, AliExpress, Amazon etc and they are likely stocked in a local warehouse. 

• Like 8

Glad that I got that right, and you are travelling down a sensible path (and I didn't insult you). I'm in engineering myself and  totally understand and agree with you. I can  manufacture a standard size bolt,  but  why would I when they're cheap and easy to procure! Indeed mufflers are mostly sheet metal/ shaped tube filled with packing. I recently upgraded my F700GS with  a sub $150 fake  Akrapovic/Akrapoverty mid pipe and muffler.  I'm very happy with the product. The  real deal was almost $1500AUD !! For that much, better have a happy ending ! Keep up the good work! 

• Like 1

So this will be a kit similar to the high mount fender? Is it just a bracket and mid pipe? Where we buy our own muffler? I think it's a pretty cool idea. 

1 hour ago, Xtina said:

So this will be a kit similar to the high mount fender? Is it just a bracket and mid pipe? Where we buy our own muffler? I think it's a pretty cool idea. 

Scroll up.

You'll find CamelADV has used his crystal ball to answer to your question about 2hrs before you asked it! 😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CReamflourish said:

Scroll up.

You'll find CamelADV has used his crystal ball to answer to your question about 2hrs before you asked it! 😉

Ah yes I see.  My reading comprehension is subpar lol. Glad it's a single kit. My wallet is not excited lol

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
19 hours ago, Farway said:

Looks good but I have my reservations about the indicator resisting that heat.... 

As mentioned previously, with the DB killer insert, the regular signal lights are OK. Without the DB killer, low profile lights will be best. 

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, NeverMetThePope said:

I see the latest mock up has a painted black link pipe. As amazing as that does look, I'd definitely be keen for stainless.

The material we ordered was supposed to be 180 grit polished but they delivered mill finish... 3 weeks to get the proper stuff in and we don't want to delay the project that long. We wanted to see what they'd look like in ceramic coat and had a batch of KTM 790 heat-shields going in for black ceramic so I tossed a link pipe in with them just to see... I'm not a big fan of it either as it turns out. We'll do one with the same with the, "Matte VR Titanium", ceramic we do for the other 790 heat shield color. It'll be very close to the finish on the muffler. We'll compare that to the bare stainless and make a decision... or offer the ceramic as an upgrade.

IMG_2824_1296x.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 5:08 AM, Camel ADV said:

The exhaust is compatible with the ADV Spec soft bag racks 🙂

IMG_5481.thumb.JPG.4ca80b8a055177d499ed248a2f186bfc.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

Hi, is this an aux tank on the left side? Do you have some more information about this? I did not find it on your website..

Thanks in advance

Olli

20 hours ago, TonyB said:

Those don't look too bad for sure, and yes they fit great. Maybe as an option for those who plan on carrying a passenger. I still like the wire look better.

The carbon heat shields are not my first choice......😬

On 11/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, Camel ADV said:

Our fabricator Matt managed to get a bunch pipe welded today. He's a 30yr journeyman and a master of aluminum and stainless TIG. I'm very happy to have him on the team!

The big question that remains is what to do for the heat shield/heel guard. We have a few options that we can go with and they can be done in house or be sourced quickly. There needs to be something on the pipe.

Our first though was to use one of the universal back bone type protector but I'm not a fan of look. The next idea was one of the smaller slotted heat shields. Effective I'm sure but again, I'm not a huge fan of the look.

Our shop 790 was sitting on the bike lift next to the T7 and I noticed the stainless wire guard bars on it. We added them to our T7 link pipe and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_4711.jpeg

62794961935__B78FC3C8-07B3-4A0B-B46D-A49BAEB1B436.jpeg

5aa8cc622293183e0b1a9764-4-large.jpg

58bfdcaab6db6558ea887336-13-large.jpg

IMG_5433.jpeg

Elegant

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, Sigi said:

The carbon heat shields are not my first choice......😬

Agreed.

Process of elimination is a huge part of any R&D project. I try hard not to get tunnel vision (which is easy to do).

I like being able to answer questions of, "Why did you do it that way? It would have been better if you had ...". Being able to say that we tried A, B and C before settling on D is important to me. Now if someone asks why we didn't use carbon heat-shields like the big names in exhaust, I can simply post the pic and not even leave a comment as it speaks for itself 😉 

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, Alpenschrauber said:

Hi, is this an aux tank on the left side? Do you have some more information about this? I did not find it on your website..

Thanks in advance

Olli

Lots of info here. I need to get a product page up on our site as the tanks are very close to market. I like to post on here first as it's a great sounding board without all the background noise of FaceBook groups or other huge ADV websites. 

• Like 6

Does your muffler have a spark arrestor? It apparently not all mufflers do which surprised me. 

Looking at the pics you muffler is definitely in tighter, do you think its still safer from falls? The link pipe still looks to be in a dangerous place. At least if I am riding.

Mike

14 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Lots of info here. I need to get a product page up on our site as the tanks are very close to market. I like to post on here first as it's a great sounding board without all the background noise of FaceBook groups or other huge ADV websites. 

Thanks, perfect! 

btw. I am following you e.g. on youtube, this forum, etc.: Great ideas and products, perfect presentation and great attitude!

Bon weekend

Olli 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Agreed.

Process of elimination is a huge part of any R&D project. I try hard not to get tunnel vision (which is easy to do).

I like being able to answer questions of, "Why did you do it that way? It would have been better if you had ...". Being able to say that we tried A, B and C before settling on D is important to me. Now if someone asks why we didn't use carbon heat-shields like the big names in exhaust, I can simply post the pic and not even leave a comment as it speaks for itself 😉 

Hi,

I don't want to offend anyone....

Your construction is a really hot part for me. It's a perfect rally part for the T7. I think, that the carbon parts disturbs the design of the exhaust. If a protection is really necessary, it should look just as rough as the exhaust.

Hope, you understand what I mean....

Cheers

Sigi