Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Camel ADV T7 High Mount Exhaust

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

Thanks for all the feedback guys! This forum is my favorite place to post. I get good feedback (positive or negative) but without ... attitude for lack of a better word.

I'm really happy with how the project has turned out and it seems like most of you are as well.

In no particular order:

@MikeCMP @365moto.eu @GreatDistances The Adventure Spec soft luggage racks do fit with. I haven't seen the Rally Raid set-up in person but I'm hopeful based on the photos. It may simply be a situation where some short spacers and longer bolts are required to make it fit.

@Insane rider The muffler comes with a baffle/db killer. It is noticeably quieter. The insert is here somewhere. I'll try to get it installed and get a sound byte posted for you.

@MileHighTenere We'll get pricing up on our site (and here shortly).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Being completely ignorant about aftermarket exhausts, is the DB killer just a baffle inside you can remove? What makes the DB killer protect the turn signals with it in as opposed to it out? 

This will be my first aftermarket exhaust on a bike, so just curious. 

And yes, the project looks pretty sweet! You put more thought into it than Yamaha did. Or maybe all their test riders are just way better than all of us and never dropped a bike. I can give their riders some pointers on dropping bikes...... And Im not allowed to do water crossings anymore 🙂

Mike

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Camel ADV

Cory,

Not that you have anything else to do ;), but when able, could you please post pics with the oem pillion pegs for a visual reference?   I know you stated early on that this kit is pillion peg compatible,  but I've got Tusk hard panniers racks installed and want to size that up. 

Thanks!

John

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor

@AZJW The only reason I crash is to test for you guys, it's 100% on purpose 🤣

@Vtamb81 Most people don't have a TIG welder, plasma cutter and a 50 ton press but almost everyone has a hacksaw. It was very important that the kit was easy to install for everyone and it had to work on bikes that already had damaged hangers.

I've got a quote printed out and hung up in my office and another out in the shop area: 

"Sorry for the long note, I didn't have time to write a short one".

The quote is attributed to several different writers, I'm not sure who actually said it.  It sums up the Camel design philosophy. Complicated solutions are easy to come up with, simple ones are not.

@pgeldz I knew the clamp option was the way to go as soon as it popped into my head, it solves so many issues. 

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
10 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Being completely ignorant about aftermarket exhausts, is the DB killer just a baffle inside you can remove? What makes the DB killer protect the turn signals with it in as opposed to it out? 

This will be my first aftermarket exhaust on a bike, so just curious. 

And yes, the project looks pretty sweet! You put more thought into it than Yamaha did. Or maybe all their test riders are just way better than all of us and never dropped a bike. I can give their riders some pointers on dropping bikes...... And Im not allowed to do water crossings anymore 🙂

Mike

A db Killer (decibel killer) is an insert that reduces the size of the exhaust opening and they really cut down on the volume of the  exhaust. The one for this pipe is very effective. It helps with the signal lights because the wide open exhaust is like a shotgun with no choke but with the insert installed, it's far more focused and it misses the signal light.

I'm not a loud bike fan. One of my friends rides a 990 and he's got HMF pipes... it drives me crazy. He loves it, I think it's cringe worthy.

This muffler sounds really good IMO. I was a bit too close with the audio recorder so the sound was "clipping". I'll have to redo the sound byte with and without the db Killer insert installed.

You can just see the insert in the pic:

IMG_4801.jpeg

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
19 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Camel ADV

Cory,

Not that you have anything else to do ;), but when able, could you please post pics with the oem pillion pegs for a visual reference?   I know you stated early on that this kit is pillion peg compatible,  but I've got Tusk hard panniers racks installed and want to size that up. 

Thanks!

John

I'll try to get that for you when I get back to the shop this afternoon.

• Like 1

do you have a picture from behind. just soo i could see how wide it is. how high the exaust is.

just so know if it will fit with my rack's

30 minutes ago, CoreCass said:

do you have a picture from behind. just soo i could see how wide it is. how high the exaust is.

just so know if it will fit with my rack's

Here’s a pic he posted before. 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1829-t7-high-mount-exhaust/?do=findComment&comment=27469

My pension check is burning a hole in my pocket, looking forward to purchasing the high exhaust and the auxiliary tank.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Vendor
4 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

The thing I really want to know form @Camel ADV is why he has so many zip ties holding the back of his bike together 🙂

All about function. I run the Mosko Moto Reckless 10 usually. There's nowhere to attach the back of the bag on the T7. I loop HD zipties around the Tail Tidy (in the gap between the LED wiring and the underside of the bracket). I do the same at the front near the pillion pegs. The heavy duty zip ties are strong enough to hold the bag on but in the event of a crash or if I hook the bag on a tree similar, the zip ties break before the bag rips. I just carry extra zipties incase I break one.

The zip ties in the pics aren't heavy duty but I needed to mount the bags to get the photos a few pages back. I simply haven't cut them off yet.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

The Pre-Sale is UP! Expected shipping January 15th.

$499.

IMG_5557_medium.jpg?v=1607426658

There are so many things to love about the Yamaha 700 Tenere! Unfortunately, the exhaust is a bit of a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde situation. It looks and sounds amazing but it has a dark side. It's located low and wide and is mounted on a very long exhaust hanger that's welded to the...

• Like 2

Cheers, just ordered. Been waiting for a  proper exhaust system to finish the T7. 🥳 Happy New Year 

• Like 1

European issue - exhaust homologation. Especially when you would like to travel across the Europe. Thats the issue and the reason why many people crying just for the solution for OEM or AKRAP exhaust...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Veider said:

European issue - exhaust homologation. Especially when you would like to travel across the Europe. Thats the issue and the reason why many people crying just for the solution for OEM or AKRAP exhaust...

I am wondering how big an issue this is? I live in Belgium and plan to do some travelling with the T7.
If the exhaust is not excessively loud, I would guess noone will take issue? Or would they?

I have never been stopped and asked to prove homologation in Germany, Italy, or France with my other bike which has a (slightly louder than stock) aftermarket exhaust. Or was I just lucky?

Edited by simonr

11 minutes ago, simonr said:

I am wondering how big an issue this is? I live in Belgium and plan to do some travelling with the T7.
If the exhaust is not excessively loud, I would guess noone will take issue? Or would they?

I have never been stopped and asked to prove homologation in Germany, Italy, or France with my other bike which has a (slightly louder than stock) aftermarket exhaust. Or was I just lucky?

Just make it short. You were just lucky. Esp Germany and Austria, Italy. Without homologation they can stop you and forbid you to continue the journey

Just ordered - thanks Cory for developing a practical upgrade to this misdesigned can placement.  As always I know the products you make will stand up to much more abuse then I will ever give them.  Cheers 

• Like 1

Ok I will be the test dummy for the high exhaust + rally raid racks. I'm sure between Camel and Rally Raid we can figure it out.

Mike. 

• Like 2

Will there be the possibility of selling a pipe & bracket only option in the future so if someone wanted to run a different muffler they could? 

3 hours ago, simonr said:

I'm also from Belgium. Some regions in Germany and Luxemburg (especially the ones popular with bikers) have become a lot stricter. Pulling over groups of bikers and checking everyone and everything. It used to be that they would only care if you were excessively fast or loud, and leave the rest of us in peace. That is no longer the case. In the past year I've heard of friends being checked for: carrying a hi-viz jacket, E-stamp on the exhaust, tyre load and speed ratings being in line with the bike paperwork, ...

This is one of the reasons I've not yet pulled the trigger on a Huzar high mount exhaust.

Even though the CamelADV solution looks really nice I also fear that this will limit sales in Europe (combined with extra cost for shipping, duties and taxes).

• Like 2

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Truth. Cops are very strict now. I really like Camel Adv solution, but defo I cannot go for. Now I have certified Acrap and I can travel across the Europe without any fear.  And I will bet on that many European T7 owners will be in the same situation.

Edited by Veider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoganC135 said:

Will there be the possibility of selling a pipe & bracket only option in the future so if someone wanted to run a different muffler they could? 

Watch the video on Cory's page-He clearly says "MAYBE" and explains why it is not as simple as it seems

IMG_5557_medium.jpg?v=1607426658

There are so many things to love about the Yamaha 700 Tenere! Unfortunately, the exhaust is a bit of a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde situation. It looks and sounds amazing but it has a dark side. It's located low and wide and is mounted on a very long exhaust hanger that's welded to the subframe. When the bike is dropped on the...

• Like 1