Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Camel ADV T7 High Mount Exhaust

Camel ADV

46 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

Watch the video on Cory's page-He clearly says "MAYBE" and explains why it is not as simple as it seems

IMG_5557_medium.jpg?v=1607426658

There are so many things to love about the Yamaha 700 Tenere! Unfortunately, the exhaust is a bit of a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde situation. It looks and sounds amazing but it has a dark side. It's located low and wide and is mounted on a very long exhaust hanger that's welded to the subframe. When the bike is dropped on the...

Thanks. I was able to watch about 3/4 of the video yesterday while at work & didn't get to that part! 

• Supporting Vendor
9 hours ago, Veider said:

European issue - exhaust homologation. Especially when you would like to travel across the Europe. Thats the issue and the reason why many people crying just for the solution for OEM or AKRAP exhaust...

2 hours ago, duibhceK said:

I'm also from Belgium. Some regions in Germany and Luxemburg (especially the ones popular with bikers) have become a lot stricter. Pulling over groups of bikers and checking everyone and everything. It used to be that they would only care if you were excessively fast or loud, and leave the rest of us in peace. That is no longer the case. In the past year I've heard of friends being checked for: carrying a hi-viz jacket, E-stamp on the exhaust, tyre load and speed ratings being in line with the bike paperwork, ...

This is one of the reasons I've not yet pulled the trigger on a Huzar high mount exhaust.

Even though the CamelADV solution looks really nice I also fear that this will limit sales in Europe (combined with extra cost for shipping, duties and taxes).

The fact is that most aftermarket mufflers simply will not work. Anything with a welded/fixed mounting bracket is likely out as the odds of it being the right length and in the proper location is very low. Anything that has a vertical measurement between the inlet centerline and the mounting tab bolt centerline more that what we are using is out.

There is no universal option. The geometry of the link pipe needs the muffler inlet to be at X location or nothing lines up properly. This isn't a failure of creativity, it just physics. Short of using a corrugated flex hose, I see no way of getting around it other than making multiple link pipes which has its own challenges.

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

1 minute ago, Camel ADV said:

The fact is that most aftermarket mufflers simply will not work. Anything with a welded/fixed mounting bracket is likely out as the odds of it being the right length and in the proper location is very low. Anything that has a vertical measurement between the inlet centerline and the mounting tab bolt centerline more that what we are using is out.

There is no universal option. The geometry of the link pipe needs the muffler inlet to be at X location or nothing lines up properly. This isn't a failure of creativity, it just physics. Short of using a corrugated flex hose, I see no way of getting around it other than making multiple link pipes which has its own challenges.

And what about the version just for the exhausts comming from Yamaha factory (OEM and Akrap)?

What you could do is aim for the oem market as we can be and have been knobbled for a noisy pipe.

so are you able to make a link pipe that connects to the oem pipe and WE cut down the oem extended pipe to suit.?

It should be easy enough as part of the conversion is to cut the pipe 3 inchies from the can side.

ive got the oem akra and wont swap it to an aftermarket unit as looks awesome.

Seems to me that what Cory did with his bracket is fix the OEM frame design issue - and provided a can/connecting pipe solution - from here, the ideal would be for the can aftermarket (ie - Akrapovich, Yoshimura etc.) to design systems which will allow their can to be installed on Cory's bracket (which looks really really sharp!) and connect to the OEM header....  

This being said - all the discussion I have ever seen on cans is that it's mostly weight savings and some aesthetics...and Cory has delivered on both...  I will be putting in my order in for the Camel kit 🙂

Edited by Miamimotoboy
  • Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Veider said:

And what about the version just for the exhausts comming from Yamaha factory (OEM and Akrap)?

They both have link pipes welded to the muffler. The stock link pipes are not reusable, the geometry simply doesn't work.

We've got an Akrapovic and Wings mufflers on order. We'll see what we can do with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe an option for à la carte or everything but the exhaust muffler kit?

Edited by REDHORSECA

33 minutes ago, REDHORSECA said:

Maybe an option for à la carte or everything but the exhaust muffler kit?

The problem does not go away is what Corey is saying - he built it for this specific muffler and its dimensions. It will likely not work with any other muffler. So selling you a link pipe would require you to mod "something" either the pipe or the muffler to make things line up.  Past a certain point it's like starting from scratch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCMP said:

The problem does not go away is what Corey is saying - he built it for this specific muffler and its dimensions. It will likely not work with any other muffler. So selling you a link pipe would require you to mod "something" either the pipe or the muffler to make things line up.  Past a certain point it's like starting from scratch.

I buying a full kit anyways from Cory.

I have connections in the motorcycle performance industry.

I’ve got family, friends, and I used to work for a top motocross/street/ the race teams performance exhaust, air filters, and suspension racing company.

I’m in Southern California where many are located.

My other motorcycles and performance cars have been used as the test mules for production performance exhaust, suspensions, air filters. 

They’ll do a custom exhaust for me from scratch. They’ve done it before many times.  Lots of custom fabricators in Southern California. 

Just now, REDHORSECA said:

I buying a full kit anyways from Cory.

I have connections in the motorcycle performance industry.

I’ve got family, friends, and I used to work for a top motocross/street/ the race teams performance exhaust, air filters, and suspension racing company.

I’m in Southern California where many are located.

My other motorcycles and performance cars have been used as the test mules for production performance exhaust, suspensions, air filters. 

They’ll do a custom exhaust for me from scratch. They’ve done it before many times.  Lots of custom fabricators in Southern California. 

Cool!

I have connections to no one like that sadly. But I can crappily weld stuff 🙂 

Mike

• Like 1

How many custom manufacturers actually involve their clientele in product development? This is an interesting  approach, Cory. 

Rather than simply cranking it out & announcing to market "here it is", you're actually involving your market in your process occasionally. 

I've been saying for years we're going full circle back to where bespoke craftsmanship will gain a renewed grip on the market share.

This may well be a fine example of how that unfolds. Where there's demand, create supply & get their help designing it!?!

• Like 4

• Supporting Vendor
48 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

How many custom manufacturers actually involve their clientele in product development? This is an interesting  approach, Cory. 

Rather than simply cranking it out & announcing to market "here it is", you're actually involving your market in your process occasionally. 

I've been saying for years we're going full circle back to where bespoke craftsmanship will gain a renewed grip on the market share.

This may well be a fine example of how that unfolds. Where there's demand, create supply & get their help designing it!?!

It doesn't do any good to make products that kind of work for people. Somethings have to be done in secrecy for obvious reasons but input from the people who will actually be using the products is invaluable. I always think I have a good handle on what people need then I get an email with a question that is weird at the time but it turns out to be not so weird. I'm always surprised at how people use our products in the real world... it's often very different that I do.

A big thanks to @Cruizin for opportunity to have our own sub-forum rather than just a thread mixed in with all the other vendor's threads. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

It doesn't do any good to make products that kind of work for people. Somethings have to be done in secrecy for obvious reasons but input from the people who will actually be using the products is invaluable. I always think I have a good handle on what people need then I get an email with a question that is weird at the time but it turns out to be not so weird. I'm always surprised at how people use our products in the real world... it's often very different that I do.

A big thanks to @Cruizin for opportunity to have our own sub-forum rather than just a thread mixed in with all the other vendor's threads. 

It an honor to have someone of your level of quality and customer service  here on the forum as a vendor.  

• Like 3

On 12/8/2020 at 9:09 AM, MikeCMP said:

Watched the video also. Curious if the Rally Raid racks I literally just put on the bike would clear your exhaust. I took some pictures in my messy barn, I could do some measuring if that would help.

image.png.df9f6a2881ecdf31a77dc7cf51906cc5.png

image.thumb.png.7f814cfd1c4c1222e4d474aa097a0b55.png

image.thumb.png.566830973e3dd2d7cf7d1a9c172f0a54.png

image.thumb.png.42ed41ffe06c68041fc85aa69ce4ee79.png

Do you have any full pics of your bike? Ive actually been debating between these and the adventure spec. Knowing for sure the adventure spec rack fits is leaning me to them simply because ive not seen the rally raid racks on a red bike yet.

36 minutes ago, NateTheGreat89 said:

Do you have any full pics of your bike? Ive actually been debating between these and the adventure spec. Knowing for sure the adventure spec rack fits is leaning me to them simply because ive not seen the rally raid racks on a red bike yet.

I'll PM you to not take this too far off topic 🙂

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

@MikeCMP You asked about pillion peg compatibility. Here's a pic, better late than never!

IMG_5574.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor

The Wings muffler showed up today. Some minor mods and we're good to go! Still waiting on the Akrapovic  to arrive.

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The Wings exhaust is a game changer for me.  I held off ordering the high exhaust set up because I really didn't care for the exhaust can, particularly the noise.  Please keep us posted how to proceed with this.  I listened to the video but the dialog was difficult to make out.  

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, ArkMark said:

The Wings exhaust is a game changer for me.  I held off ordering the high exhaust set up because I really didn't care for the exhaust can, particularly the noise.  Please keep us posted how to proceed with this.  I listened to the video but the dialog was difficult to make out.  

It was a spur of the moment video, just shot on my phone. I didn't get bust out the external audio equipment like I normally do.

• Like 1