Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Finally got around to mounting my KEDO lowering brackets for the steps and changing out the ABS rings for better ones.

The steps kit is amazing! It improves my position on the bike dramatically. I am now in a more active position and my legs are not so bent anymore (I am 1,90m tall). Also standing up I feel a lot more connected to the bike. I love it!

The ABS rings now give me the correct speed on the dash. When the dash says 80km/h the GPS says 81km/h.

Very happy with these small updates!

Edited by Chris1974
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

Finally got around to mounting my KEDO lowering brackets for the steps and changing out the ABS rings for better ones.

The steps kit is amazing! It improves my position on the bike dramatically. I am now in a more active position and my legs are not so bent anymore (I am 1,90m tall). Als o standing up I feel a lot more connected to the bike. I love it!

Aso the ABS rings now give me the correct speed on the dash. When the dash sais 80km/h the GPS sais 81km/h.

I'm thinking about the lowering brackets for quite some time. Sounds really good, I think I'll give them a try!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Lewie said:

Popped up to see a mate today - he’s got what I thinks a pretty rare Yoshimura DRZ 

he’s doing some work on it at the moment

IMG_5124.jpeg

Syringing it ☺️.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:42 PM, motonap said:

Most recent of the lot, new rear tyre - Mitas E07+ and prior to that the R&G paddock stand spools

20230603_010105393_iOS-min.jpg.4f4e41762d3b299c0a76135478762071.jpg

Black Widow exhaust (my favourite of the whole lot)

20230603_005802683_iOS-min.jpg.f9e9968a15adadd846fcdef51a4a144e.jpg

Stedi sequential LED blinks20230603_010055863_iOS-min.jpg.7ef0ffd3861fe30cc7ac22fa364d56b3.jpg

ProTaper Evo Adventure handle bar

20230603_005829344_iOS-min.jpg.ab25cb0213161b4ac29c913f364c8140.jpg

Windscreen riser + custom made lower wind screen

20230603_005843691_iOS-min.jpg.cd96737d1dc4b2fe5e62956033a7d881.jpg

Kriega front haul loop for the times you need to haul this beast out of a difficult spot

20230603_005852435_iOS-min.jpg.153d0ee1d10b9f7603d20e217cb74bd2.jpg

And painted the OEM engine guard black 🙂

Did you tap the bars for the bar end weights?

Lowered footpegs are *awesome* on the T7.  So much more comfortable if you're taller - I'm also 6'4"/193cm and man, the 30mm lowered pegs where without a doubt the single most impactful mod I've installed on any motorcycle, ever.  More comfortable seated, lower COG standing, better leg grab of the bike, higher handlebars relative to your shoulders, easier seated/standing transitions.  

Phenomenon upgrade for tall riders.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Lowered footpegs are *awesome* on the T7.  So much more comfortable if you're taller - I'm also 6'4"/193cm and man, the 30mm lowered pegs where without a doubt the single most impactful mod I've installed on any motorcycle, ever.  More comfortable seated, lower COG standing, better leg grab of the bike, higher handlebars relative to your shoulders, easier seated/standing transitions.  

That COG myth needs to die, but anyway these are enough advantages for me 😂 Thanks bud!

38 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Was there no problem with adjusting brake and shifter with 30 mm lower pegs? I have 15 mn lower and want maybe more.

6 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Was there no problem with adjusting brake and shifter with 30 mm lower pegs? I have 15 mn lower and want maybe more.

To get the shifter low enough you need to remove the small nub on the inside of the bracket the peg mounts to.    This allows the shifter to get more downward movement.

I also rotated the shift arm down 1-spline.  You can adjust the shift rod longer and make it work for the lowered position, but I felt there was not enough threads still engaged on the shift rod.  Rotating the shift arm one spline was enough to keep lots of thread engaged on the upper and lower shift rod connections.

I had no issues getting the stock brake pedal adjusted for the 30mm lowered pegs. 

F20072B5-1C3C-4A4C-B9B4-FD05A5934479_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

With -30mm pegs, I have had to make some modifications to the shifter and brake. 

The brake was OK lowered until I switched to the CamelADV "the Fix" pedal.  The geometry of that pedal led me to add a plate to lower the pedal. 

-30mmPedal.jpg.ce3a154129a39a79e2796c9adf10a766.jpg

The shifter has proved to be more of an issue.  After grinding off the nub on the back of the footpeg mount, I still cannot get the pedal as low as I would like - the ball end on the linkage hits the footpeg mount and I had to adjust the lever up until it does not hit when upshifting.   You can see this on the photo in williestreet's post just below the white arrow. 

I have a spare lever and plan to weld up a lowered version.  In the meantime, I have a piece of tubing zip-tied to the bottom of the shifter.  This gives me a fairly good position that compromises between street and MX boots. 

Edited by Hollybrook

18 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

With -30mm pegs, I have had to make some modifications to the shifter and brake. 

The brake was OK lowered until I switched to the CamelADV "the Fix" pedal.  The geometry of that pedal led me to add a plate to lower the pedal. 

-30mmPedal.jpg.ce3a154129a39a79e2796c9adf10a766.jpg

The shifter has proved to be more of an issue.  After grinding off the nub on the back of the footpeg mount, I still cannot get the pedal as low as I would like - the ball end on the linkage hits the footpeg mount and I had to adjust the lever up until it does not hit when upshifting.   You can see this on the photo in williestreet's post just below the white arrow. 

I have a spare lever and plan to weld up a lowered version.  In the meantime, I have a piece of tubing zip-tied to the bottom of the shifter.  This gives me a fairly good position that compromises between street and MX boots. 

I did the same in regards to the shift pedal.

To get the perfect position for me I think another 5mm lower would be perfect.   Tubing zip-tied  to the lever was the short term fix.  

Ran it like this for the past 2 years and honestly forgot about it being an issue.  I will continue to run it like this  until I get rid of the bike.

3C3ED366-4612-4A14-8407-EE57D9092C62.jpeg

003CBA30-33E6-42A8-B93F-50B65AA2D101.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:25 PM, Chris1974 said:

The steps kit is amazing! It improves my position on the bike dramatically. I am now in a more active position and my legs are not so bent anymore (I am 1,90m tall). Also standing up I feel a lot more connected to the bike. I love it!

The ABS rings now give me the correct speed on the dash. When the dash says 80km/h the GPS says 81km/h.

Got a link to the better abs rings buddy?

Accurate speedo would be nice!

12 minutes ago, sunndog said:

Got a link to the better abs rings buddy?

Accurate speedo would be nice!

I bought these... You need 2.

SR-OTR-T700-SW-ABS-Impulsgeber-Ring-zur-

Modifizierter ABS Impulsgeberring für Tachoangleichung Yamaha Tenere 700   Der Tacho der Tenere 700 eilt leider stark vor. Das bedeutet,…

Finally swapped out the mash potato

pedal for the real deal. No wonder they’re such a hot item, hardly comparable. 

IMG_4354.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Finally swapped out the mash potato

pedal for the real deal. No wonder they’re such a hot item, hardly comparable. 

IMG_4354.jpeg

Agreed. Your " neighbor" really knocked it out of the park with that mod. He has asked for those us happy customers to post a review on his website to help spread the love. 😀

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 7/21/2023 at 12:15 AM, BikeBrother said:

The shifter was an issue.  On the aluminum bracket it attaches to, there's a pin that pokes out and interferes with its ability to downshift.   I just ground that pin off, and I was able to sufficiently adjust the shifter. 

It is a bit higher than the footpeg, but that's desirable for shifting while wearing offroad boots. 

On 7/20/2023 at 11:52 PM, Tenerider said:

That COG myth needs to die, but anyway these are enough advantages for me 😂 Thanks bud!

It's not lower because of where you're pressing on the bike - I know the myth you're referring to - standing on the bike puts the center of gravity lower, because the weight is on the pegs instead of the seat, which is false - standing actually raises your COG and the combined COG, however, it also decouples your mass from that of the bike via the suspension in your legs.

Combined center of gravity is the center of mass, right?  I'm a 300lb guy, 6'4" guy.  Say stock pegs are 12".  Bikes COG is not changing, so we'll ignore it. My COG is going to be 3'2" + say 12" stock peg height so 4'2" up from the ground.  Drop the footpegs an inch, and my COG is now 4'1" up from the ground.

That's just physics. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It's not lower because of where you're pressing on the bike - I know the myth you're referring to - standing on the bike puts the center of gravity lower, because the weight is on the pegs instead of the seat, which is false - standing actually raises your COG and the combined COG, however, it also decouples your mass from that of the bike via the suspension in your legs.

Combined center of gravity is the center of mass, right?  I'm a 300lb guy, 6'4" guy.  Say stock pegs are 12".  Bikes COG is not changing, so we'll ignore it. My COG is going to be 3'2" + say 12" stock peg height so 4'2" up from the ground.  Drop the footpegs an inch, and my COG is now 4'1" up from the ground.

That's just physics. 

Completely right!

Imho a lower cog (of the bike-rider system,letting decoupled masses aside) is not really desirable. A higher COG leads to increased stability (and that's imho the second benefit of standing up, the first being the decoupled masses you've mentioned).

Anyways - in our case (long legs) the lowered pegs should work better, just because we can grip the bike better with our calves, stand up relaxed (less bent over/down). And so on.

• Like 1

A higher COG is the optimal setup for pretty girls....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 7/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, vagrant318 said:

Did you tap the bars for the bar end weights?

The Evo ProTaper are hollow bars, so no option to tap them. Instead I used the BarkBuster Bar end inserts instead and they have held solid since.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

Did my first oil / filter change.  So easy...  until I over - filled it 🙄😐

• Haha 1

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

36 minutes ago, chadio said:

Did my first oil / filter change.  So easy...  until I over - filled it 🙄😐

oops....

Wellness treatment at the garage spa - she's got her annual ACF-50 treatment.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 9:03 AM, motonap said:

The Evo ProTaper are hollow bars, so no option to tap them. Instead I used the BarkBuster Bar end inserts instead and they have held solid since.

They can be tapped to the appropriate size.