Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

1 hour ago, random1781 said:

Finally finished up a few days worth of work on the bike. Forks and triples swapped out, Acerbis tank installed and remolded, and headlight assembly replaced with an XL80 and my tower. Also replaced the Adventure Spec crash bars with Hepco and Becker.

PXL_20230620_170821665.jpg.25a260ba08ffbe6e320a6d3c3e3602c4.jpg

PXL_20230620_170901392.jpg.5f96298bf88d3e3972ffa63aa1896fc9.jpg

Great stuff!

What forks did you choose?

58 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Great stuff!

What forks did you choose?

The lugs are for the KYB SSS forks and I managed to find a set from a YZ450 locally and at a good price, so it was more a matter of the stars aligning than choice!

PXL_20230617_180244459.jpg.392df634fe224493f4ee400e2c4c2ef6.jpg

• Like 4

advgoats.com

Kitted up the lady for Rendezvous 2023 up by Rocky Mountain House.  First time camping off a motorcycle, so it was a bit of a shock seeing just how bulky my old camping gear was.  

Didn't have cash to replace everything, so just Making Do this trip.  If I enjoy the process, I'll invest in more appropriate kit.  6 man tent (I can fit the bike inside it!), queen sized air mattress, etc 😉 Got it all onto the bike at least. Did spring for one of those ridiculously tiny little iso camp stoves & mess kit, primarily for coffee purposes; the old big green box Coleman camp stove was a bridge too far!

PXL_20230622_232619738.jpg.fe7cfdb56ad9b40291c0825903deb167.jpg

• Like 6

Got a Rally Raid upgraded spring installed this week.   I managed to get the old one out myself by cheesing it with straps and a car jack, but wasn't having a lot of success trying to get the new one on in this method, so brought it to a great local shop.

Initial ride was pretty great... hitting a few short powerline trails (one of which had a fairly small jump at the start), the bike just tracks so much better.   The front end comes up when you'd expect it to rather than the back end just squishing down, yet it's also more compliant.  If anything, it just exposes the forks as being undersprung for my weight, so that's the next fix on the way 🙂

Got new sneakers too, but haven't installed them just yet.  Maybe this week, if the weather is as miserable as the forecast says it's gonna be.

IMG-4208.jpg

sneakers.jpg

Edited by headwinded
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, headwinded said:

Got a Rally Raid upgraded spring installed this week.   I managed to get the old one out myself by cheesing it with straps and a car jack, but wasn't having a lot of success trying to get the new one on in this method, so brought it to a great local shop.

Initial ride was pretty great... hitting a few short powerline trails (one of which had a fairly small jump at the start), the bike just tracks so much better.   The front end comes up when you'd expect it to rather than the back end just squishing down, yet it's also more compliant.  If anything, it just exposes the forks as being undersprung for my weight, so that's the next fix on the way 🙂

Got new sneakers too, but haven't installed them just yet.  Maybe this week, if the weather is as miserable as the forecast says it's gonna be.

IMG-4208.jpg

@headwinded What spring rate did you get?

8 hours ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

@headwinded What spring rate did you get?

95.  I need to drop some weight myself 🙂

• Premium Member
On 6/24/2023 at 6:36 PM, headwinded said:

95.  I need to drop some weight myself 🙂

Ditto…. I went 90nm though. Fairly helps the bike. Cheers.

I too changed the rear spring today 👍

I went with this one from Off The Road:

SF-OTR-T700-WS-90-OTR-Austauschfeder-Fed

Linear Uprated Shock Spring for Yamaha Tenere 700 in white colour Most rider of the Tenere 700 will have found out that the OEM standard spring is…

I believe this is 5 mm longer than the oem. I am 95 kilo (209 Ibs) out of the shower. I have the oem rear rack, often rides with the Givi top-boks. Uses the bike for my grocery shopping, and frequently my 11 years old boy comes with me. Testing the bike today was fine with light cloths and without any luggage. No rebound needed. Suspension far better than with the stock spring. No rebound led to suspension feeling softer than stock with quite some rebound.

The extra 5 mm spring length was noticeable. Improves the geometry I think, but makes my Seat Concepts Comfort Tall even taller. Guess the spring will compress a little over time.

I used the car jack to get the oem spring off the shock, and that went well. More scary, and more difficult to put the 90 nm new spring on. Used three straps, and at a point one of the ratchet straps snapped! 🤪 Didn't cause any harm (but scary!), and after several more attempts, and after buying a set of stronger ratchet straps, it work out. (Afraid that I in the process would have damaged the plastic ring that comes with the Rally Raid version, If I had chosen that one.)

I'm happy I chose the 90 nm spring, and certainly glad I did not chose the 95 nm that I also considered 👍 😀

Edited by Chev.

Oh, and also put on a Chinese chain guide today.

With time, plan to replace the stock skidplate with the one from SW-Motech - protecting the engine from stones and crap. Also consider getting the oem rally version chain guard.

On 6/23/2023 at 1:46 AM, qInvention said:

@Wintersdark how'd you finally made the dog fit onto your bike ? 

Sadly I don't have a carrier for him yet but that is a stretch goal.  We've got one forum member who's doing that however with a YouTube channel too.

• Like 1

After a wildly fun weekend, lots of other T7's (Hey guys!) out around Nordegg and Rocky Mountain House, she's home and unloaded, but somewhat in need of a wash.  

PXL_20230624_183404953.jpg.9dc8d0e5a5e614337ba4ae231317688f.jpg

OHV trails, mud, hills, a convenient de-mudding river crossing, and a stop to help change another T7's flat, it was a great time.  Absolutely the perfect environment for the Tenere, easier than singletrack, but too narrow for Jeep's and their ilk, tighter technical sections to have some fun and bigger more open areas to really let the CP2 sing.  

My first big event, but I definitely want to go again.  What a great time.  

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Sadly I don't have a carrier for him yet but that is a stretch goal.  We've got one forum member who's doing that however with a YouTube channel too.

I am all for sharing the fun with your dog but be aware that some jurisdictions will consider it animal cruelty- really. There is a youtube video of a guy that travels the US with his dog and I think it was culver city, CA PD ticketed him and was threatening to take the dog.. The dog was not tied in but on a rack. 

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

I am all for sharing the fun with your dog but be aware that some jurisdictions will consider it animal cruelty- really. There is a youtube video of a guy that travels the US with his dog and I think it was culver city, CA PD ticketed him and was threatening to take the dog.. The dog was not tied in but on a rack. 

I'm not in the US, though.  I've known lots of people to take dogs on bikes here in Canada.  I'd definitely have him tied into a carrier, however. I forget the name of hand but there's a couple who custom build the carriers with a harness system that keeps the dog safe even in crashes, designed for off-road use.  It's not appreciably different than having your dog tied in, in the box of a pickup.  Or for that matter *not* tied in a car. 

And nobody complains about my kids on my bike.

Edited by Wintersdark

Treated it to some new tyres after a weekend of punishing the current ones.

IMG_4450.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 3:34 PM, Lewie said:

Literally a 10 min job - excellent condition from ebay too

Looks superb, same as mine, so much lighter, and I think I feel better running, although this could just be 'Sticker love'....

• Like 1

Not all strictly T7 work, but spent the afternoon preparing for a Week in France, leaving Friday from Dover.

Travelling with Buddy, also with T7, this is our Third Annual trip to Europe

Bike serviced, ready to go.

Checking Weather...

Transferred all GoPro old stuff to PC, charging batteries, finding Memory cards, getting bike luggage ( Oxford Aqua 50 Roll Bag ) out of closet, finding Roc Straps, throwing essentials into backpack..

First time using Zumo rather than Iphone, looking forward to not having texts from loved ones cluttering screen as I approach unknown junctions...

Fitted Touratech Alberra Sport Handlebar Bag, must say looks massive and no sure I like it, maybe after a few Autoroute Toll tickets stuffed in it, easily done with velcro lid, I may get used to it ?

Cant wait.

• Like 3

Added a motopumps gps mount to the bar and attached my Garmin 396 gps to it. One ride with it and it seems to be solid up there. It’s not touching the gauge top just looks that way in the picture. It sticks out good 3/4” from that. So the gauge bobble doesn’t even touch it when it’s dancing around. 

IMG_3019.jpeg

Edited by roy826
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spelldrummer said:

Not all strictly T7 work, but spent the afternoon preparing for a Week in France, leaving Friday from Dover.

Travelling with Buddy, also with T7, this is our Third Annual trip to Europe

Bike serviced, ready to go.

Checking Weather...

Transferred all GoPro old stuff to PC, charging batteries, finding Memory cards, getting bike luggage ( Oxford Aqua 50 Roll Bag ) out of closet, finding Roc Straps, throwing essentials into backpack..

First time using Zumo rather than Iphone, looking forward to not having texts from loved ones cluttering screen as I approach unknown junctions...

Fitted Touratech Alberra Sport Handlebar Bag, must say looks massive and no sure I like it, maybe after a few Autoroute Toll tickets stuffed in it, easily done with velcro lid, I may get used to it ?

Cant wait.

Not wanting to spoil the trip at all but don’t be disappointed when you can’t get a McDonalds milkshake on the continent- couldn’t believe it the other week when we pulled up at one and it was 33°- I had my heart seat on a banana one - had to make do with a McFlurry to cool us down - safe journey- the XT is perfect 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, roy826 said:

Added a motopumps gps mount to the bar and attached my Garmin 396 gps to it. One ride with it and it seems to be solid up there. It’s not touching the gauge top just looks that way in the picture. It sticks out good 3/4” from that. So the gauge bobble doesn’t even touch it when it’s dancing around. 

IMG_3019.jpeg

Should be solid.  I bought the same mount last year and my Zumo XT has not moved a bit over very rough terrain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Should be solid.  I bought the same mount last year and my Zumo XT has not moved a bit over very rough terrain.

I used the garmin mount and attached it tot he left corner where it is thicker- where the cross brace meets the Vertical brace. So my Xumo is off to the top left.

Had a great ride yesterday..

Today gave her some bigger fuel capacity,  charcoal canister delete, double checked torque on the spark plugs and corrected my detached radiator bracket...

16878205914983718708499876955475.jpg

20230626_155756.jpg

20230626_153718.jpg

20230625_152020.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 12:09 AM, Chev. said:

I too changed the rear spring today 👍

I went with this one from Off The Road:

SF-OTR-T700-WS-90-OTR-Austauschfeder-Fed

Linear Uprated Shock Spring for Yamaha Tenere 700 in white colour Most rider of the Tenere 700 will have found out that the OEM standard spring is…

I believe this is 5 mm longer than the oem. I am 95 kilo (209 Ibs) out of the shower. I have the oem rear rack, often rides with the Givi top-boks. Uses the bike for my grocery shopping, and frequently my 11 years old boy comes with me. Testing the bike today was fine with light cloths and without any luggage. No rebound needed. Suspension far better than with the stock spring. No rebound led to suspension feeling softer than stock with quite some rebound.

The extra 5 mm spring length was noticeable. Improves the geometry I think, but makes my Seat Concepts Comfort Tall even taller. Guess the spring will compress a little over time.

I used the car jack to get the oem spring off the shock, and that went well. More scary, and more difficult to put the 90 nm new spring on. Used three straps, and at a point one of the ratchet straps snapped! 🤪 Didn't cause any harm (but scary!), and after several more attempts, and after buying a set of stronger ratchet straps, it work out. (Afraid that I in the process would have damaged the plastic ring that comes with the Rally Raid version, If I had chosen that one.)

I'm happy I chose the 90 nm spring, and certainly glad I did not chose the 95 nm that I also considered 👍 😀

Now, already after two days the new spring has compressed/softened a bit so I can again just flat-foot with my Seat Concepts Comfort Tall 👍

But I also have a better experience with my oem seat with 'air-cooling' cover with the new spring being softer since much less rebound 🙂

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 1

After having issues with buffeting (I'm 197cm tall) I got a WRS sport screen. Installed it and promptly figured the GPS is now obstructing air flow on the GPS bar (Zumo 390). So I just finished rerouting the power cable to the left side of the handle bar (mount is now on LH mirror). It's 2AM now so will see if this fixes the buffeting tomorrow 😉

Edited by leclerq
  • Like 1