Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

6 hours ago, leclerq said:

After having issues with buffeting (I'm 197cm tall) I got a WRS sport screen. Installed it and promptly figured the GPS is now obstructing air flow on the GPS bar (Zumo 390). So I just finished rerouting the power cable to the left side of the handle bar (mount is now on LH mirror). It's 2AM now so will see if this fixes the buffeting tomorrow 😉

I am also tall and had issues. It helped heaps for me, definitely a top mod on my bike.

IMG_4443.jpeg

1 hour ago, DanDoesStunts said:

I am also tall and had issues. It helped heaps for me, definitely a top mod on my bike.

IMG_4443.jpeg

Nice setup! One day I'll save up for a new Zumo and a motology mount too 😉

What kind of seat do you have? I hear the rally seat is a bit taller and helps buffeting even more.

Added a graphics kit by Crispydesigns, acerbis hand guards, acerbis chain guide and some double take trail bar mirrors. 😁

20230517_102426.jpg

Screenshot_20230519_174645_Gallery.jpg

• Like 9

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, muzza said:

Added a graphics kit by Crispydesigns, acerbis hand guards, acerbis chain guide and some double take trail bar mirrors. 😁

20230517_102426.jpg

Looks good, is gravity less at your place or did you put the right hand grip against the wall for photos? 😉

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 minute ago, AZJW said:

Looks good, is gravity less at your place or did you put the right hand grip against the wall for photos? 😉

It's definitely a lack of gravity....👀

• Haha 4

Ram mount quick grip fast wireless charger. Rear master cylinder guard, rad guard, and shift lever from nicecnc. Puig headlight guard. 

Edited by Kluthage421
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

That's the Tenere's steering head bearings regressed and it’s fork oil and coolant changed. And fitted 4mm fork spring plastic spaces, from DIY plumbing store. All good bike is nearly 12000 miles on it now. 4 years old in August. Its earned it and deserved it after all ☺️.

• Premium Member

B&Q plumbing section has 2mm thick plastic washers; which are perfect as they’re the right diameters for fitting on top of the fork springs to add some extra pre load. I added 4mm. T7 refinements 👍

Wrestled the rear stock Pirelli off, and a new Dunlop 908RR onto the rear with the help of a Max2h Tire portable tire changing tool.

The good is that the bead breaker on the tool is really helpful, and probably worth the price of admission on its own  What's not great is the mounting head apparatus... even when you get the bead hooked over it, good luck getting enough torque to move the arm on it w/o the assistance of another person (or if you have the tool bolted down to something rather heavy, as the entire tool will just slide on the ground.   Once the bead was broken, it was far easier to just use spoons to get the rest done.

For others that have done this themselves, how much PSI do you need to get the tire to seat?  I heard it softly 'pop' around 40psi, but I'm not sure if it's all truly where it needs to be.   The tire calls for a max of 36psi.  

Front will go on this week, along with a set of upgraded fork springs.   Hopefully that's an easier time 🙂

Edited by headwinded
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, headwinded said:

Wrestled the rear stock Pirelli off, and a new Dunlop 908RR onto the rear with the help of a Max2h Tire portable tire changing tool.

The good is that the bead breaker on the tool is really helpful, and probably worth the price of admission on its own  What's not great is the mounting head apparatus... even when you get the bead hooked over it, good luck getting enough torque to move the arm on it w/o the assistance of another person (or if you have the tool bolted down to something rather heavy, as the entire tool will just slide on the ground.   Once the bead was broken, it was far easier to just use spoons to get the rest done.

For others that have done this themselves, how much PSI do you need to get the tire to seat?  I heard it softly 'pop' around 40psi, but I'm not sure if it's all truly where it needs to be.   The tire calls for a max of 36psi.  

Front will go on this week, along with a set of upgraded fork springs.   Hopefully that's an easier time 🙂

I have a Rabaconda street tire changer. $600 but makes quick work of any tire change. Last tire I did was the stiff sidewall Heidenau k60 sport. I am not exaggerating at 3 minutes to mount it. The machine is incredible once you learn the technique. I also went tubeless front and rear with Outex. I think about 45 pounds to POP the bead. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, headwinded said:

Take the opportunity to change the 5w Fork Oil, 85mm air gap with the spring out and fork tube and damper rod fully compressed. 

I added 4mm plastic washers on top of the spring at the cap to increase the springs pre load a bit and that with new fork oil works well and is good for 100kg me. 

The Fork springs can be replaced easy enough, without special tools, with open ended 17mm & 19mm ring spanner’s. a Spring damper rod holding tool is handy but rod can be lifted and held by other means to screw the cap back on and the 17mm spanner will go in between the spring coils easily.

15 hours ago, headwinded said:

The pressure to seat a bead varies greatly depending on the tire being mounted, the lube used (if any), the rim design, and tire temp. I've had tire beads fully seat at below 20PSI,  and one or two in my life that refused to seat on the first try at 60 PSI. 

Rest assured tubed tires don't always *Pop*.  On tubeless tires I want to hear that double pop but on tubed tires I don't sweat it, if I hear it great, if not and it looks right I ride on it. 

• Like 3

On 6/29/2023 at 5:01 AM, muzza said:

20230517_102426.jpg

Is your bike lowered or is that an optical illusion?  Looks great btw

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vagrant318 said:

Is your bike lowered or is that an optical illusion?  Looks great btw

Na, must just be the camera angle. And cheers 🍻 

• Premium Member

Fitted Adventure Spec (AS) Rack and Side plates. Ditched removed the Yamaha rack as it weighed 12kg.

IMG_6962.jpeg

AS one Great Quality as has nice smoothed off rounded edges all over for tying 💼 bags to, that won’t end up slicing through the straps.

IMG_6965.jpeg

On 6/5/2023 at 12:25 AM, Lewie said:

Next stop france

A2FECC82-68E0-48B8-81DF-FEC929F9DAB9.jpeg

What are those bags you've got mounted to the crash bars?

2 minutes ago, TenerEH said:

What are those bags you've got mounted to the crash bars?

Lomo crash bar bags - no sure if there available on ‘an island ‘ good for the price 

Twin-Crash-Bar-Dry-Bags-1.jpg

Waterproof motorbike crash bar dry bags for attaching to motorcycle engine guard bars. Watertight roll top dry bags, sold as a pair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I already had a Scott’s Damper on the Yz250FX which just sits since I bought the T7.  Bought the Triple Clamp Moto steering damper mount and installed it today.   Will report back how the damper does off-road when I get a chance to test.  

71079569104__95710247-154E-4C51-A020-C6A54DBF606B.jpeg

• Like 3

I've had my Motoz Adventure front back on as I wanted a more aggressive tire for the Rendevous trip at the end of June.  I've never been particularly fond of the tire because at higher speeds (130kph+) it tended to wobble and get very light feeling.  Was going to pull it off again in favour of the more stable GPS front, then decided to test some stuff.  

Turns out, just increasing the compression on the front forks a bit completely resolved the headshake at speed.  I feel dumb.  Never occurred to me to try changing suspension settings to combat that, as the front was 100% stable with the stock Pirelli STR and the Motoz GPS.  Seemed to just be the tire.

I mean, it certainly was the tire, but I didn't stop to think maybe tire+suspension setting.  Well, you live and learn.  Still, it seems very strange to me that increasing the compression damping fixed it; if anything, I'd expect the opposite to be true, that making it more soft would fix it.  *shrugs*

It's repeatable though.  If I soften the compression damping, headshake comes back.  Increase, it goes away.  All only with this tire. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I've had my Motoz Adventure front back on as I wanted a more aggressive tire for the Rendevous trip at the end of June.  I've never been particularly fond of the tire because at higher speeds (130kph+) it tended to wobble and get very light feeling.  Was going to pull it off again in favour of the more stable GPS front, then decided to test some stuff.  

Turns out, just increasing the compression on the front forks a bit completely resolved the headshake at speed.  I feel dumb.  Never occurred to me to try changing suspension settings to combat that, as the front was 100% stable with the stock Pirelli STR and the Motoz GPS.  Seemed to just be the tire.

I mean, it certainly was the tire, but I didn't stop to think maybe tire+suspension setting.  Well, you live and learn.  Still, it seems very strange to me that increasing the compression damping fixed it; if anything, I'd expect the opposite to be true, that making it more soft would fix it.  *shrugs*

It's repeatable though.  If I soften the compression damping, headshake comes back.  Increase, it goes away.  All only with this tire. 

Thanks mate - I'm experiencing similar behaviour since I've switched to Anakee Wilds. I'm gonna test it and then might just give the comp adjuster one or two clicks more when I'm doing highway passages.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I already had a Scott’s Damper on the Yz250FX which just sits since I bought the T7.  Bought the Triple Clamp Moto steering damper mount and installed it today.   Will report back how the damper does off-road when I get a chance to test.  

71079569104__95710247-154E-4C51-A020-C6A54DBF606B.jpeg

I have the MSC Moto RM3 Steering Damper and really appreciate having it.

• Like 1

I moved to another city 😉 to revive 40 years of Tenere history...

IMG_20230611_131308256a.jpg

P1000641.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

I moved to another city 😉 to revive 40 years of Tenere history...

IMG_20230611_131308256a.jpg

P1000641.JPG

How cool is that! Some Yamaha event? Have lots of fun there!

• Premium Member

Swapped out the (heavy Yamaha) rear rack to an Alloy Adventure Spec rack and side plates.

IMG_6965.jpeg.fdc489ef73c7f7577fede264773ac4f5.jpeg

Refitted my FZ/MT-09 Soft Saddle bags (made by and available from SW Motec Blaze) Panniers.

IMG_7008.jpeg.66e70d992008dc165540579aee474d40.jpeg

U-Lock neatly fits in under the rear rack.

71093234604__B839D021-2FCD-49B4-BDEE-1B9A235368CE.jpeg.e74e2475e9a90164c057b607f9ef68c9.jpeg

And I wired a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket that sits in the left pannier so can charge iPad. Used 22awg wire and 10 amp inline fuse straight to battery so can run an air compressor too.