Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Pulled the rear suspension linkage to check the bearings. They were packed with grease which didn't surprise me since the dealership claimed to have done a thorough service being a used bike. Steering head checked ok too. Oil filter change done today too..... and ordered heed basic bars and a powerbronze sport screen 👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Finally installed my Huzar exhaust. Used DEI Titanium for the exhaust wraps. You can also see that I still haven't installed the support bracket for the exhaust itself, I'm still in the middle of trying to work out something with that. I still managed to take it out for a ride like that without too much issue, though I must admit that it probably isn't the smartest idea to keep it that way in the long run.

IMG_20211224_121955.thumb.jpg.9443970245a8d8f70e65634c4a0311f4.jpg

Ooooh you went all the way with the wrap!  I just did the bottom bit and ended at the passenger pegs:

20211111_122306.thumb.jpg.b65cca9f26e5d26bc70eee445216b15d.jpg

Though I guess given you don't have your passenger pegs on, the link pipe is much more exposed and could end up with a really, really unpleasant time should you get your leg trapped between that and the ground.

What I wanted to suggest, though, is if you look where I have my hanger attached to a bracket on my Heed bars, just behind that is where they mount under the tail.  If you have anything else you're planning to attach there (rear rack, tail tidy, said Heed rear bars, etc) they all come with spacers and longer screws which have the side effect of getting what could be a straight run for a strip of steel bent into an L - attached to two of those screws, come out to the hanger and bend down with a hole drilled to attach the hanger to.

I dunno how clear I was with that, but, yeah.  I mean, the stock kit assumes you'll cut the lower black plastic and hang it off the rear right cargo bobbin (from the inside), but... I was deeply reluctant to start cutting up plastics if it wasn't necessary.  I like all my mods to be completely reversible.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, pgeldz said:

I finally got started on the build!

Screenshot_20211221-083408.thumb.png.b77ee81d033fda8be02b8d5652e8911d.png

More to come!!! 🙂

- Paul

So what direct are you taking this bike? On-road? Off-road? Something else all together?

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Ooooh you went all the way with the wrap!  I just did the bottom bit and ended at the passenger pegs:

20211111_122306.thumb.jpg.b65cca9f26e5d26bc70eee445216b15d.jpg

Though I guess given you don't have your passenger pegs on, the link pipe is much more exposed and could end up with a really, really unpleasant time should you get your leg trapped between that and the ground.

What I wanted to suggest, though, is if you look where I have my hanger attached to a bracket on my Heed bars, just behind that is where they mount under the tail.  If you have anything else you're planning to attach there (rear rack, tail tidy, said Heed rear bars, etc) they all come with spacers and longer screws which have the side effect of getting what could be a straight run for a strip of steel bent into an L - attached to two of those screws, come out to the hanger and bend down with a hole drilled to attach the hanger to.

I dunno how clear I was with that, but, yeah.  I mean, the stock kit assumes you'll cut the lower black plastic and hang it off the rear right cargo bobbin (from the inside), but... I was deeply reluctant to start cutting up plastics if it wasn't necessary.  I like all my mods to be completely reversible.

Not doing a full wrap seemed like such a waste when I had a fair amount of it on hand. I also wasn't planning on ditching the passenger pegs, it just so happened that they were in the way during the install so I took them off. I might just put them back since they provide additional tie-down points if needed, as well as some protection in the case of a fall. I am more or less set to getting a B&B compact rack too, after looking at pictures and videos from different angles I'm convinced that not only are they the best option for a minimalist rear rack, but that mounting point on the side is also a perfect combination for where to mount the Huzar bracket. It's just that the fact that they're on vacation right now plus the lead time on production puts me at around 2 months of waiting.

B&B Rear Compact Tail Rack to suit Yamaha XT690/ T700 TENERE | Adventure  Moto Australia

My plan of action in the meanwhile was actually quite close to what you described, a custom bracket attached to where the HEED rear crash bars would, and a sideways/diagonal bracket for attaching to it. I would most likely need some spacers and longer bolts as well to make it work, I just need to search up the size and length needed. The local fabricator shop is closed for the holidays though, so I'll have to wait on them to reopen again.

IMG_20211225_135052.thumb.jpg.16aa05a0d410588a8412fef40149f92d.jpg

Edited by DonaNobisPacem
  • Like 2

Test fitted my AXP plate yesterday. A bit of fiddling to do before I'm satisfied. The new headers come awfully close to the front of the plate so I plan on grinding away some plastic to buy a bit more space and throwing on some heat resistant tape for good measure. I kinda anticipated this problem which was one reason why I went with AXP so I can make it work with my setup.

20211225_132250.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, X Plane said:

A (Useful Popular Topic)  

Theme Copied from other forums.... were folk update and or mod their bikes etc.

For Example: I've fitted a (Tutoro) auto chain oiler on to my bike; see video & pics below: 

EC75D76E-CF64-4828-A0A0-9DDD3DB4162A.jpeg

9D698AAF-E909-42C1-BFA6-00F2FCCDD886.jpeg

6C88A71C-BC85-4B9A-96A9-6FFE564C2302.jpeg

I like this oiler. Hope video helps 👍

Nice..

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, Burnsey said:

Started to enjoy it...

A couple of months in and I've fiddled, farkled and run the bike in. Today, I went out with the same bunch I always do and kept up (a mixture of 1,000cc plus bikes).

The Tenere is great.

So, pretty much done what I wanted to do:

• Got the ride height perfect (OEM lowering links, low seat with Cool Cover)
  • Improved comfort (Oxford heated grips, Puig short levers, BarkBusters, Camel anti-bobble bars)
  • Settled on gadgets (Garmin Zumo XT on crossbar with MotoPumps bracket, mounted the GoPro and remote, added an InReach Mini device, PackTalk Bold for comms, ScottOiler)
  • Tricked it up - (OEM crash bars, Rallye bash guard, radiator cover and tail tidy, LED indicators, Akrapovic end can, Double Take mirrors, headlight guard, knee and tank pads, Crispy Designs speed blocks)
  • Sorted luggage (Kriega Base Pack, plus range of OS bags for all scenarios and Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag)
  • Plus a few bits I've probably forgotten and do intend to pick up a side stand enlarger and probably some aux lights as I find the headlight crap in the dark.

So all there is left to do is ride it and today was all back roads - about 120 miles and I'm still smiling.

Unknown.jpeg

Very nice...

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, wardog327 said:

That's some serious setup..

Cheers. Straightforward to do if have know how and the parts though.

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, wardog327 said:

Nice..

Cheers!

On 12/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, DT675 said:

So what direct are you taking this bike? On-road? Off-road? Something else all together?

I'm trying to make the ultimate Rally Bike - for the real word.  I'm sure a really Rally Bike for Dakar would not make a great daily ADV bike, with suspension probably too stiff for light off road, and probably not super comfy for longer ADV touring rides either (on or off road).

I want to have a bike that can easily be at home on ADV touring rides or a full out desert race.  Since my off road chops are basic, I won't be going at break neck speeds off road, so I don't need full on 48 mil Dakar forks, etc, but I want it to be way more capable than your typical ADV bike, as in, it wouldn't be out of place on a real navigational rally, if that makes sense.

My street builds normally consist of a very calculated and curated list of parts, with just enough fabrication thrown in to make it different than the rest, while still being fully capable and credible for it's intended purpose.

There's a lot of eyes on this one because it's way out of my element, and I really want to get it right.  Time will tell 🙂

• Like 5

That makes great sense and sounds like a build id like to follow! I’ve often daydreamed about what it would take to drop some serious weight, up the power and make a great suspension for this bike to be more desert-racer like. But, I don't really have many areas to ride a bike like that to its intended potential, nor anyone to ride with (in that fashion) and where I do, it would be a matter of time before i’d hit a pedestrian, other off-road vehicle or deer at speed.  So I’ll happily follow your build thread instead! 

Edited by DT675

2 hours ago, DT675 said:

That makes great sense and sounds like a build id like to follow! I’ve often daydreamed about what it would take to drop some serious weight, up the power and make a great suspension for this bike to more desert-racer like. But, I don't really have may areas to ride a bike like that to its intended potential, nor anyone to ride with (in that fashion) and where I do, it would be a mater of time before id hit a pedestrian, other off-road vehicle or deer at speed.  So Ill happily follow your build thread instead! 

LoL!

On 9/18/2020 at 2:59 AM, OU812 said:

Installed some Flush Mount Signals or as we call them Blinkers 😃

IMG_20200917_141607_resized_20200918_072459911.jpg

IMG_20200917_141543.jpg

Been over a year since this was posted, but mmm.  Looked all over for a set of those. Hard to find.

Can you say how bright they are.  And where they can be found?

:

12 minutes ago, one wheel drive said:

Been over a year since this was posted, but mmm.  Looked all over for a set of those. Hard to find.

:

The good ones: 

Replace your bulky stock Yamaha front signals with low profile superbright LED Flushmounts from TST Industries.

The ones I have: https://www.amazon.ca/Indicator-Blinker-Universal-Motorcycle-2006-2009/dp/B07DN894V6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3VLQEDCSCEAF4&keywords=flush%2Bmount%2Bsignals&qid=1641172427&sprefix=heated%2Bjacket%2Bliner%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-5&th=1

The amazon ones are bright - no problems there - but to make them work I had to cut down the flange around the nut (bit white plastic disk) and use the OEM plastic inserts on the inside of the nut.  They clamped on front and back really well that way.  You need the clear ones, not smoke - the smoke ones end up kind of dim.  

I also got a random amazon flasher to correct the flash rate, but it turned out the signals came with optional inline load resistors which I could have used instead.

If you're getting the TST ones, you can get them with the correct signal harnesses and a flasher relay as well.  I'd have done this, if not for the insane cost once you add shipping to Canada and the exchange rate.  TST's prices themselves are very reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, one wheel drive said:

:

They are pretty bright, I found them on amazon...   https://www.amazon.ca/Indicator-Blinker-Universal-Motorcycle-2006-2009/dp/B06XSXRGX1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=MGKG6S98CG8Q&keywords=flush+mount+signals&qid=1641173351&sprefix=flush+mount+signals%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-5

• Like 1

Installed a 3D printed flexible fuel cap hinge. Works great!

(one photo is upside down, cant get this corrected for some reason. It is automatically)

16410548287058285691770593617680.thumb.jpg.2170a65ef0e0a90415c603992e8dc6cf.jpg

16410547974432153257694820439662.thumb.jpg.f551972a595586bda85857895b5bafee.jpg

• Like 4

The GCAG kit I ordered during their Christmas sale finally arrived here. It's a pretty nice kit I'd say, a cheaper and still solid alternative to other rackless setups from companies such as Giant Loop and Mosko Moto. With the situation in my country being what it is, I don't think it'd see use anytime soon, but here's to hoping.

The contents of the kit (minus the two 20L bags):

IMG_20220104_173722.thumb.jpg.d96f56db8766c5837d9e1e60d47b80a2.jpg

The soft rack fitted on the bike (rear straps running under the tail, the addition of a tail rack would probably tidy up the rear nicely):

IMG_20220104_173441.thumb.jpg.77471db961b535074fbfccc7f4b2b09c.jpgIMG_20220104_173450.thumb.jpg.01de08330dbbea17161c52a2799a1d43.jpgIMG_20220104_173457.thumb.jpg.faebb9fdfdd5b56db95c22af833e425d.jpg

Fitted with the 2x 20L dry bags:

IMG_20220104_172556.thumb.jpg.6cb1d25452813acedbb013eeed120e9e.jpg

And with my 50L bag for a total of 90L of stuff (most definitely should've bought their heat shield as well, hindsight is 20/20 as they say):

IMG_20220104_172321.thumb.jpg.5aaf3035ec8b768a89301277e73e4ad6.jpgIMG_20220104_172331.thumb.jpg.7c36fce678238dbc23940b24cc0a6773.jpgIMG_20220104_172339.thumb.jpg.be9484723ed465093942059b6bc6c023.jpg

And all of that stuff stored into one of the bags for storage:

IMG_20220104_174116.thumb.jpg.45cf7831fa2da08926a8c723aef3169a.jpg

• Like 4

@DonaNobisPacem If it makes you feel better, I've checked mine extensively.  The outside of the Huzar muffler - the black part - doesn't heat up.  Even after extensive, hard riding, it's still cool to the touch.  The outlet itself gets hot, of course, but even the outer "HUZAR" ring doesn't get to melting-stuff temps while riding.

I had a lot of issues with the stock pipe and how hot it got, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with the huzar.

Edit: Also, probably obviously: The link pipe leading into the muffler gets EXTREMELY hot.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 1

Well, this bike has got me all ‘do it yourself’.

Wasn't happy with the messy wiring under the seat, nor the routing of cables, plus I’ve a set of Denali S4’s arriving tomorrow, so set about stripping the bike.

Not being naturally technical, I usually leave things to others, but, with the help of a mate on here and of course YouTube, I removed panels and released the tank today, disconnected wiring for the heated grips and nav and pulled it all back through. Once the lights land, I’ll reroute, get them all back working and show the results.

Very basic for some of you, but all new to me.

This is me ‘checking’ on the bike just now 😂

97F5B456-82E3-4050-B847-B5E4D97E983E.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

@DonaNobisPacem If it makes you feel better, I've checked mine extensively.  The outside of the Huzar muffler - the black part - doesn't heat up.  Even after extensive, hard riding, it's still cool to the touch.  The outlet itself gets hot, of course, but even the outer "HUZAR" ring doesn't get to melting-stuff temps while riding.

I had a lot of issues with the stock pipe and how hot it got, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with the huzar.

Edit: Also, probably obviously: The link pipe leading into the muffler gets EXTREMELY hot.

I've had pretty much the same experience. Hell, my turn signals are still completely fine even though they're kinda touching the exit. It's just that there's one isolated case I've had where I went for a long ride and the can was not just warm, but actually hot. Not sure if it's plastic melting hot, but hot enough to be painful if you touch it for a couple of seconds. And I'd rather not risk it when I can just buy a heat shield and not worry about that potential disaster at all.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 6:50 PM, NeilW said:

Just mounted the Touratech Pro Adjustable Windscreen adjustment bracket.  Easily adjusts 2.4” up or down to 1/2” above stock. In the up position it definitely quiets the wind noise for me. 19D17F97-A83E-4A06-AA27-E5F8EE133790.thumb.gif.f997113476ca346e74cc3b8c6d8007f3.gif

seems like a functional piece of kit, thinking about ordering one. Are you still happy with it, any downsides?

8 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

I've had pretty much the same experience. Hell, my turn signals are still completely fine even though they're kinda touching the exit. It's just that there's one isolated case I've had where I went for a long ride and the can was not just warm, but actually hot. Not sure if it's plastic melting hot, but hot enough to be painful if you touch it for a couple of seconds. And I'd rather not risk it when I can just buy a heat shield and not worry about that potential disaster at all.

I've only gotten in one ride so far after my Huzar exhaust installation, and based upon all the comments I'd read about the muffler not getting hot I checked mine immediately after getting off the bike. I was just able to hold my bare hand against the can for a second, as it was more than just warm which is what I'd expect from a muffler. I'll definitely be adding a heat shield to it if I have any soft luggage that may contact the can.  

7 hours ago, kocaali said:

seems like a functional piece of kit, thinking about ordering one. Are you still happy with it, any downsides

Very happy with it. No down sides. My review still stands 100 percent. 

• Like 1