Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Added helibars risers, seat concepts comfort seat and have happy-trail.com highway pegs coming this week. Going to do an all day ride Saturday to confirm my “touring” setup. 

FDE08F2C-B6DB-449F-B4FE-0880BC615E7B.jpeg

• Like 2

did an oil change on my front forks over the w/e and found the original oil was like glue ...f'orrible. now much better fork action.

checking the bike out ,its done about 13,000 mls, i found play (not side to side)in the lower rear shock linkage....so another job to done.

Swapped Acerbis handguards for BarkBusters in order to fit new Puig short levers and happy with everything.

Ordered a Garmin Zumo XT and a mounting solution from Twalcom, so that's the last thing to fit along with Oxford heated grips and I've a tracker somewhere, so will do all at once when ethe nav mount lands.

27 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

Swapped Acerbis handguards for BarkBusters in order to fit new Puig short levers and happy with everything.

Ordered a Garmin Zumo XT and a mounting solution from Twalcom, so that's the last thing to fit along with Oxford heated grips and I've a tracker somewhere, so will do all at once when ethe nav mount lands.

Make sure you use the Garmin power cord on the Zumo otherwise you will only get 40% brightness. I was able to use the zumo for almost a year on just the USB and then one day the brightness dropped. I called Garmin and they told me they didn't understand how I got 100% brightness from the USB power at all.  If  the USB power gets you 100% now, it will stop giving y ou 100% at just the wrong time and place so start with the Garmin mount power cord. Word to the wise.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Make sure you use the Garmin power cord on the Zumo otherwise you will only get 40% brightness. I was able to use the zumo for almost a year on just the USB and then one day the brightness dropped. I called Garmin and they told me they didn't understand how I got 100% brightness from the USB power at all.  If  the USB power gets you 100% now, it will stop giving y ou 100% at just the wrong time and place so start with the Garmin mount power cord. Word to the wise.

Yes, fully wired in solution for all the electricals is planned.

The mounting bracket is coming from Italy, so if it even arrives, it'll be a week or so and then will do all in one go.

Then I'll be selling brackets, adapters, Quadlock kit etc. I basically messed around and tried allsorts to eventually find what works for me.

• Like 1

Managed to go out for a long ride after getting having the seat shaved by a local upholstery shop a couple days ago. Gotta say they did a good job, gave me a bit more reach while not impacting the comfort too much. The bigger concern right now is that I've noticed that the handlebars vibrate A LOT when I go up the rev range. Not sure if it's because the bar end weights had to be removed to fit my hand guards. It's still manageable but damn if it isn't a bit scary. Maybe I should try putting the weights back and see if that fixes the issue.

• Like 1

Had to replace a blown fuse so i swapped the air filter for the K&N i ordered in a Black Friday sale.
OEM filter was not due but i had to be under the seat anyway.
With all my bikes i always changed to an K&N at the first service.

IMG_20211130_175256.thumb.jpg.cf9056ef59f19be200646fd62861d138.jpg

Was not happy with the legstraps from the Mosko Moto R40 and these where off also to get under the seat so looked for and found a better way using the cleets that came with the bags, some parts i had left after removing the OEM licence plate holder a.k.a. pie scoop and some bolts i had around.
No idea what those holes with rubber caps are for but now they are for the cleets.
IMG_20211130_184358.thumb.jpg.e5bab90ac91a5c879f7d97e34978f09c.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob-T7 said:

What kind of bags do you have on your bike @Ray Ride4life

I have for daily use the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 and for long trips the Reckless 80 with the Scout 30L duffel.
But for that i have to make something to strap the back straps to. The tailracks that are on the market are too ugly, too heavy or too expensive.
I bought a set of cheap passenger grips i will use as a base to weld my own rack together.
Until they're in i can think of what i want, just a tube at the back or also some tubes down or i make it up as i go .

Je woont niet ver bij me vandaan, ik woon in Brunssum.

Removed the swingarm to grease the pivot and the linkage bearings.

They all looked perfect except the bottom shock mount where the solid grease bearing is showing a loss of solid grease.  It should be fine for a while but better to order a spare or two for the future.

Shock was dropped off  Saturday for service and a revalve.  Call came Monday afternoon it was ready, so I put it back on as well.  Lots of valuable info from him including it was low on pressure.  Only 80psi where it should have been approx 180psi which probably explains a good portion of the wallowing issue I was having all summer.

Now to decide what changes I will do to the forks.  

033F3E11-EAA8-4C4F-A523-66B66BAB87DD_1_201_a.jpeg

5C760DCD-81EC-494D-9D83-324FF367F07B_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gone2seed said:

Put her up for the winter.

Wish I was in Oz

Pshaw!

Mounted up my (studded) Motoz Tractionator Adventure for the front, and drilled some studs into the stock Pirelli Scorpion STR rear.  Not putting up for the winter here!

20211130_154903.thumb.jpg.6a1f5063c8e8241ac27de5974ed913d4.jpg20211130_161323.thumb.jpg.68547ad62ef894a432a5abb6291d5a02.jpg

Sadly, turns out I was four studs short of my planned pattern.  Not a big deal for now, the front (the important wheel) is well studded, and when another pack arrives I'll toss more into the rear.  

• Like 3

Black Friday bonus brought a black tank  to the back of a black bike. As with all things Camel, fit & finish are top shelf & a treat to install. 100km range upgrade, ✔️
    That process inspired deletion of the charcoal canister to make way for the new trail cooker 🍗

While the tank was off, easy(ish) access to the plugs inspired dropping in fresh iridium sparks. 🧨

Next; that new engine oven for piping hot trail snacks!

827A409A-605C-471D-BC73-295A47C3773C.jpeg

A5C4B450-1CEC-4C5B-ACF4-14534B8ACAF2.jpeg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Man, those Camel auxiliary tanks are so cool.  Looks awesome!

Top quality addition, really like it. Was long on radar, now on the bike!

Added some cheap no-name handlebars for added leverage. They're good enough for the price, some minor imperfections here and there, but as long as they hold up and not rust over in the future I'd be pretty happy with them.

IMG_20211203_161516.thumb.jpg.224ff20215243640e35ea3986a046ad8.jpgIMG_20211203_162209.thumb.jpg.3b68e43ab8e640f8785c53a564c9a12c.jpgIMG_20211203_162222.thumb.jpg.4f79b43fe84bf63bda111400db9efeaf.jpg

Also tried putting back the stock bar end weights to see if that helps with the handlebar vibration issue, but my Zeta hand guards unfortunately don't fit with them. Or to be more precise, the left-hand side manages to fit by a hair, but the right-hand side clamps would hit the front brake reservoir with the added length of the bar end weights. If any of you fine folks have any bright ideas that might help, please do share.

Edited by DonaNobisPacem
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Only thing I can think of is to change to the BarkBuster hand guards. The bar end weights need to be in there.

Hey mate, I didn't compare when fitting, but the BarkBusters weights seem smaller/lighter than the OEM weights - do you happen to know if they are actually like for like, or does weight not matter?

Edited by Burnsey

1 minute ago, DuncMan said:

I'm not sure if they're like for like. It may be they're smaller to compensate for the added weight of the BB hardware that's going on there. AFAIK, the factory weights are specifically "tuned" to the handlebars for the purpose of eradicating vibration.

So, if specifically 'tuned' any replacement isn't going to be perfect I guess?

My bike was great with the Acerbis (weights on) but not ridden since swapping out for BarkBusters.

3 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

@Burnsey Of course, if you then change handlebars I guess you’re on your own. BB and other manufacturers will only be testing with the stock bars, right..?

Well, I rounded off one of the fixing end bolts 😂 and have heated grips to install,so all fun and games at my place this weekend.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Oh no, that sucks. Try using a Torx socket instead of a Hex. I often find those will still grip a rounded hex bolt.

I've watched videos 😂

To be fair, my mate is a mechanic and we are installing grips, nav bracket and wiring in the Zumu XT, so just a general day farting around.

He said, don't worry, I'll weld on a bolt and whip it off 😬

• Like 1

I've gone through the same thing with a KLR.  I even tried silicone inside the bar end with a heavy bolt but to no avail.  I'm sure you'll have to rig something up as the vibration is hand numbing without the weights.  Is there no way to install the original weights with all the other stuff you have or will install?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

I've gone through the same thing with a KLR.  I even tried silicone inside the bar end with a heavy bolt but to no avail.  I'm sure you'll have to rig something up as the vibration is hand numbing without the weights.  Is there no way to install the original weights with all the other stuff you have or will install?

I've tried, but it just wont work for the right hand side. My hand guards came with this little insert for the backbone to thread into, but it weighs almost nothing so it's not really a replacement.

IMG_20211203_212936.thumb.jpg.ce7bb6387fc7aef478aa81d12417a64c.jpg

Replacing it with with the stock bar end adds around an inch more to the length of the handlebar, and with the current clearance I have it's just not gonna work.

IMG_20211203_212944.thumb.jpg.5aecd78b6a056ffc0ca288d7ac767e8f.jpgIMG_20211203_212926.thumb.jpg.88db5e043b768d2e2404512db0ab1c1b.jpg

I've read about filling up the entire bar with silicone sealant as a solution, but I'm afraid that it will be a giant pain to clean up if it doesn't work out. Another alternative I'm looking at is filling it up with something like steel ball bearings, and hope it doesn't make a giant racket with all of them rattling inside instead.

Edited by DonaNobisPacem

I would get rid of the insert and bolt set up that came with the hand guard and just reuse the original stuff.  Use the spacer if required.  Put the weight on the out side of the back bone and see how it fits.  Unless I'm understanding this incorrectly.