Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

SuperMoto T7?


Rich TT
 Share

Recommended Posts

So folks, I've been thinking...

 

The MT-07 front discs are exactly the same size as the T7's (no surprise in terms of money saving etc.). So it got me thinking if MT-07 wheels would fit? What a supermoto that would be (and keep the off road wheels/tyres for a quick swap). Two bikes in one😎

 

The swinging arm will take a 180 rear tyre of the MT-07 I'm sure no problem. So does anyone have any idea if they would fit? If not, I'll get my tape measure out at my Yamaha dealers...

 

The front mudguard might look a bit weird with the smaller 17 inch front wheel, but I'll worry about that after I know they fit.

 

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

Good SuperMoto Idea / point.... Yep, I to thought 17” wheels would be awesome... I haven noticed that the front brake pads don’t sweep all the down the whole depth of the discs so I reckon that a mod of deeper brake pad would be an easy increase in front brake power for 17” road wheels / tyres to 😉.

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...think this is what you have observed:

 

BremseBremse_kl.jpg.af62cf93dec3c8400c45640e4705a6be.jpg

 

My concern is in regard to the ground clearance.  In tight curves it happened that my outer foot scratched the street, even when it was placed correctly on the pegs. Maybe the Pirellis are much too good for onroad riding.

 

The foot pegs shall be installed higher by adapters or a rotating plate for onroad/offroad use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, hombacher said:

...think this is what you have observed:

 

BremseBremse_kl.jpg.af62cf93dec3c8400c45640e4705a6be.jpg

 

My concern is in regard to the ground clearance.  In tight curves it happened that my outer foot scratched the street, even when it was placed correctly on the pegs. Maybe the Pirellis are much too good for onroad riding.

 

The foot pegs shall be installed higher by adapters or a rotating plate for onroad/offroad use.

I've not seen that or anything, just had an idea. What bike is that, as obviously not a T7 with normal forks?

 

Do you know if they'll fit a T7?

 

Thanks

Rich

Link to comment
Share on other sites

why add a 17" wheel to the bike instead of just just throwing on some street tires, or better yet just get an MT-07 rather than go through all the effort?

Edited by ScorpionT16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

why add a 17" wheel to the bike instead of just just throwing on some street tires, or better yet just get an MT-07 rather than go through all the effort?

Sorry, I think you're missing my point. I don't want to have to swap tyres as I will be off roading and roading. The idea was to have a cheap two bikes in one. MT-07 wheels are pretty cheap on eBay. I have a KTM and do exactly that and they make it genuinely two bikes in one.  Both are just as much fun. I don't want an MT-07 at all as I'm into true dual sport and love Supermoto. Wheels can be swapped in less than 30 minutes, so no effort at all and I like working on bikes.

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

okay, in which case why not just get a second set of T7 Rims, does the 21>17" front fro street make that much of a diff, to go through the hassle of changing the brakes, plus ergonomics as the bike front gets lower? Just wondering cause I have a CB500X now, 17/17 wheels, and use it for 80% on road commuting, put a deposit down on a T7 for the 21" front in off road, on road if anything its better for pot holes and getting more adv tire options

Edited by ScorpionT16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

okay, in which case why not just get a second set of T7 Rims, does the 21>17" front fro street make that much of a diff, to go through the hassle of changing the brakes, plus ergonomics as the bike front gets lower? Just wondering cause I have a CB500X now, 17/17 wheels, and use it for 80% on road commuting, put a deposit down on a T7 for the 21" front in off road, on road if anything its better for pot holes and getting more adv tire options

Yes, huge difference. I've been riding Supermoto for years and don't just want road tyres on the standard rims. If they fit, they'll be nothing to change brake-wise or gearing. A dead simple in and out.

 

Hoping someone might know if they fit. If not, I'll measure up an MT-07 and share with the forum.

 

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rich TT said:

I've not seen that or anything, just had an idea. What bike is that, as obviously not a T7 with normal forks?

 

Do you know if they'll fit a T7?

 

Thanks

Rich

 

These are our two CP2s, my wife' new Tenere 700 and my old XSR700. After visiting a bike show end of last year, in the beginning of this year, I was as well wondering, if there is a chance of easy swapping the wheels.

 

So I did some quick measuring, after this topic came up again. My first impression, everything looks so very similar, but it is not:

 

Front wheel, outside front disc to disc XSR/T7 - 126/116 mm,

between the fork legs, weidth XSR/T7 - 152/160 mm,

axle diameter according parts catalogue front wheel bearings XSR/T7 - ø17/20 mm

 

Rear wheel, outside disc to middle chain - XSR/T7 - 190/201

 

 

Conclusion: having measured this, I see no chance for a quick & dirty easy swap with a set of MT/XSR wheels. The adaption to be made need a little efforts, but are not impossible.

The MT/XSR wheels are very lightweight, that's fine, on the bad site, the rear is for a tire of 180 width, a little fat for a Supermoto in my opinion.

 

BR

hombacher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, hombacher said:

 

These are our two CP2s, my wife' new Tenere 700 and my old XSR700. After visiting a bike show end of last year, in the beginning of this year, I was as well wondering, if there is a chance of easy swapping the wheels.

 

So I did some quick measuring, after this topic came up again. My first impression, everything looks so very similar, but it is not:

 

Front wheel, outside front disc to disc XSR/T7 - 126/116 mm,

between the fork legs, weidth XSR/T7 - 152/160 mm,

axle diameter according parts catalogue front wheel bearings XSR/T7 - ø17/20 mm

 

Rear wheel, outside disc to middle chain - XSR/T7 - 190/201

 

 

Conclusion: having measured this, I see no chance for a quick & dirty easy swap with a set of MT/XSR wheels. The adaption to be made need a little efforts, but are not impossible.

The MT/XSR wheels are very lightweight, that's fine, on the bad site, the rear is for a tire of 180 width, a little fat for a Supermoto in my opinion.

 

BR

hombacher

Really helpful thanks and exactly what I was after. Not super straightforward then. A bit of machining and spacers would sort some things out, but the spindle differences is a bit more difficult.

 

I assume an XSR and MT-07 have exactly the same dimensions for wheels.

 

Cheers

Rich

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hombacher said:

 

👍 Correct, MT, XSR and Tracer 700 are all same same...

 

Brilliant and thanks again for your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Was wondering today about the following scenario... 

Bring wheels to wheel manufacturing company in UK.. Use original hubs.. Re-spoke and use 17 front and back outer rim...

Would this be possible and the cheaper way? 

If obviously you didn't want two sets of wheels 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been in touch with Central Wheel Components about the above suggestion and ... here are the results.. 

 

To use the original hubs of the t7 and create 17 inch wheels with stainless spokes and rims in black finish it will be around £640 , no shipping included.

 

He did mention that the limiting factor on the front might be the distance between the forks...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I have been in touch with Central Wheel Components about the above suggestion and ... here are the results.. 

 

To use the original hubs of the t7 and create 17 inch wheels with stainless spokes and rims in black finish it will be around £640 , no shipping included.

 

He did mention that the limiting factor on the front might be the distance between the forks...

 

Very interesting and a good price indeed. Now all I need are some wheels to appear on eBay as I need my off road wheels ! Or save up and buy some bartubeless from rally raid......

 

I think I measured the front mudguard and clearance from my KTM supermoto wheel and it looked OK or just minor cutting of the front mudguard. It would look great with a supermoto front mudguard and twin brakelines and trash the original fender as would look daft I recokon with a much smaller 17 inch front and the OEM mudguard.

 

Nice research and thanks again.

 

Rich

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

I fitted 17” wheels to my DRZ-400 E enduro. I put Different wheel bearings in to Accommodate the axle diameter and some spacers sorted the rest. Result brilliant. So 17” T7  be fantastic. It will happen somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, X Plane said:

I fitted 17” wheels to my DRZ-400 E enduro. I put Different wheel bearings in to Accommodate the axle diameter and some spacers sorted the rest. Result brilliant. So 17” T7  be fantastic. It will happen somewhere.

Me too and happy memories of my DRZ400E. Did a track day at Rockingham on it and surprised a few sports bikes.

 

I'd like to try it with the Tenere, funds permitting.

 

Rich

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
logo.png

Wire Spoke Wheel Building Find out more Precision Mechanical Engineering Find out more Wire Spoke Wheel Building & Precision...

I will be in touch with these guys and another one from epping soon. They seem to have a good reputation and will report back.. 

What size rims would be needed for the front and back width wise? And they should be aluminium with ppc finish I presume 🤔

Let's presume I use the original hubs as stated before then I would need : high fender to make it look decent but I could keep the brakes as they are at the moment... 

Anything else I need to consider? 

Regards Aleks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, Rich TT said:

Very interesting and a good price indeed. Now all I need are some wheels to appear on eBay as I need my off road wheels ! Or save up and buy some bartubeless from rally raid......

 

I think I measured the front mudguard and clearance from my KTM supermoto wheel and it looked OK or just minor cutting of the front mudguard. It would look great with a supermoto front mudguard and twin brakelines and trash the original fender as would look daft I recokon with a much smaller 17 inch front and the OEM mudguard.

 

Nice research and thanks again.

 

Rich

Rich,

 

What is your opinion on going 18/18 wheels on the bike... The tyre choice now for 18 inch front seems to be good and this would mean just changing the front and the back stays as it is... 🙂 

 

This will dramatically decrease the cost of the build and as the bike turns in ok with 21 inch it would probably be a nice motard with 18 and 18 setup.

 

Look forward to your opinion.

 

Aleks 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Rich,

 

What is your opinion on going 18/18 wheels on the bike... The tyre choice now for 18 inch front seems to be good and this would mean just changing the front and the back stays as it is... 🙂 

 

This will dramatically decrease the cost of the build and as the bike turns in ok with 21 inch it would probably be a nice motard with 18 and 18 setup.

 

Look forward to your opinion.

 

Aleks 

 

Hi Aleks,

 

I think that's a great idea. Plus it will have the added advantage of being slightly more stable as the bike won't be so steep with the big jump from 21 to 17inch front.

 

This way you're only "dropping the front" (21-18)/2 which is 1.5 inch or 3.8cm.

 

Please keep us posted.

 

Rich

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Hi Aleks,

 

I think that's a great idea. Plus it will have the added advantage of being slightly more stable as the bike won't be so steep with the big jump from 21 to 17inch front.

 

This way you're only "dropping the front" (21-18)/2 which is 1.5 inch or 3.8cm.

 

Please keep us posted.

 

Rich

I have got myself a proper quote written in stone... 🙂 

 

£175 for the rim 18 inch 2.5 wide ( no ppc finish in aluminium)

£75 for 36 spokes in stainless 

£55 labour to get the hub and the new rim together 

= £275 with no PPC finish ( £40 for PPC , I will do this for free but I am concerned the colour is not going to be the same unless I can get my hands on the RAL number)

 

Now I need to research tyres and fenders.. ( wonder if the stock one will look badly on 18 inch ) 

 

Aleks 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2020 at 1:35 PM, Rich TT said:

Hi Aleks,

 

I think that's a great idea. Plus it will have the added advantage of being slightly more stable as the bike won't be so steep with the big jump from 21 to 17inch front.

 

This way you're only "dropping the front" (21-18)/2 which is 1.5 inch or 3.8cm.

 

Please keep us posted.

 

Rich

Rich, is the speedo going to be affected?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would guess, but no idea where it's picked up from. If rear wheel or gearbox, you should be fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

I would guess, but no idea where it's picked up from. If rear wheel or gearbox, you should be fine.

It gets the speed signal from the front wheel sensor and rotor.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

It gets the speed signal from the front wheel sensor and rotor.

Thank you for this... Would it be possible to swap the ring from MT07 and thats going to solve the issue ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tenerecanada featured and unfeatured this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.