Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

SuperMoto T7?

Rich TT

10 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you for this... Would it be possible to swap the ring from MT07 and thats going to solve the issue ?

You'd need to compare the amount of slots in the MT07 rotor to the T7 rotor as well as the rolling circumference of both tyres.

You then need to check if the 2 bikes use the same ABS module and speedo PPK's (pulses per kilometre).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

You'd need to compare the amount of slots in the MT07 rotor to the T7 rotor as well as the rolling circumference of both tyres.

You then need to check if the 2 bikes use the same ABS module and speedo PPK's (pulses per kilometre).

I will try and find out a bit more about this.. I presume the holes are going to ok as it has been calibrated for 17 inch wheels and if I swap 17/18 inch wheels we could be there . Just need to know if they are interchangeable .

Thank you

10 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

Called my friendly dealer and explained what I'm going to do.. He is going to check if I can use the same amount of holes on the abs ring from mt07 for the t7... If this is the case, I'll laser cut at work the disc with same amount of holes for 17 inch wheel and patter for our hubs, PPC finish and this could work... He did mention that it could be the back wheel but he will get an answer to me ASAP. 

Meeting tomorrow with wheel builder to discuss options😅👍

Anybody used high fender and ditched the one we have at the moment? 

3 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Called my friendly dealer and explained what I'm going to do.. He is going to check if I can use the same amount of holes on the abs ring from mt07 for the t7... If this is the case, I'll laser cut at work the disc with same amount of holes for 17 inch wheel and patter for our hubs, PPC finish and this could work... He did mention that it could be the back wheel but he will get an answer to me ASAP. 

Meeting tomorrow with wheel builder to discuss options😅👍

Anybody used high fender and ditched the one we have at the moment? 

It's definitely the front wheel sensor, you obviously haven't spent much time on the back wheel only 😉.

I just checked the workshop manual and this confirms it 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

It's definitely the front wheel sensor, you obviously haven't spent much time on the back wheel only 😉.

I just checked the workshop manual and this confirms it 👍

Thank you for this..

I have got a call from the dealer saying that changing the ring from the ABS will not have such a big effect on the speedo...he mentioned Speedo healer and Heal Tech make one for the tracer and Mt07 and it could be the best solution out there...

Just need to ring them up and see if it will fit the T7 😄 

I am getting close to striking a deal with smpro this week. 

Hubs are not easy to find so I'll sacrifice the original ones for now 🤔😅

To keep things interesting and true to supermoto style I've decided to go all in on it... We only live once they say. 

Spec of wheels : 17x 5.0 back and 17x 3.5 front. Stainless spokes and black anodised rim on original hubs.

Tyres to keep things a bit low cost mitas sport force plus 160 60 17 /120 70 17.

@Rich TT you have done some measuring on the front and I should be good with just trimming the fork protectors for the 120 tyre?

The back looks plenty of room for 160. 

Exciting times are coming 🏍️💨😁😄

8 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I am getting close to striking a deal with smpro this week. 

Hubs are not easy to find so I'll sacrifice the original ones for now 🤔😅

To keep things interesting and true to supermoto style I've decided to go all in on it... We only live once they say. 

Spec of wheels : 17x 5.0 back and 17x 3.5 front. Stainless spokes and black anodised rim on original hubs.

Tyres to keep things a bit low cost mitas sport force plus 160 60 17 /120 70 17.

@Rich TT you have done some measuring on the front and I should be good with just trimming the fork protectors for the 120 tyre?

The back looks plenty of room for 160. 

Exciting times are coming 🏍️💨😁😄

Great stuff.

I did a quick measure with my own 120 supermoto cut-slick tyre from my KTM and it looked like it would fit fine when I measured up.

If not, it will be easy to trim off the little bit needed from the fork guards with a dremmel or file (just as I had to do with the KTM ones!).

Rich

PS you can buy original hubs from Yamaha as they list them as an item. But then you'd need discs, cush-drive, abs rings 

Be also interested in your ball-park cost once you've done this to give us all an idea, if you don't mind sharing.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich TT said:

Be also interested in your ball-park cost once you've done this to give us all an idea, if you don't mind sharing.

Cheers

Rich

Once I've got all sorted I will let you guys know. 

The original hubs are very expensive at yamaha 320 front and 360 back if I remember correctly so that's out for me as I think it will drive the cost to something ridiculous. 

Thanks.

You can buy the whole shebang from bartubless with their fancy hubs and tubeless conversion (you'd have to ask for 17 inch rims mind), and they're ~£1219 and that's minus discs, sprocket, abs rims and cush-drive. eeek!

They do look the business mind

Tenere-700-wheelset.jpg

tubeless spoked wheelset for Yamaha Ténéré 700

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Great stuff.

I did a quick measure with my own 120 supermoto cut-slick tyre from my KTM and it looked like it would fit fine when I measured up.

If not, it will be easy to trim off the little bit needed from the fork guards with a dremmel or file (just as I had to do with the KTM ones!).

Rich

PS you can buy original hubs from Yamaha as they list them as an item. But then you'd need discs, cush-drive, abs rings 

Man have a look at this render from YouTube... I always thought the fender needs to go and high one in... 

Seems to look decent in this picture. 

What you think? 

Screenshot_20200309-200751.jpg

Small update, wheels ordered today. The company is awaiting hubs from me on Tuesday. 

Plan is to get the wheels of Saturday morning, tyres off and start taking the spokes and rims apart, wash the hubs and Monday ship them. 

And then the wait begins. 🙂

• Like 1

This bike super moto it's gona be amaizing, my last one was this, and it's was realy fun bike...

IMG_20191112_152103.jpg

IMG_20191112_151718.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lupan said:

This bike super moto it's gona be amaizing, my last one was this, and it's was realy fun bike...

IMG_20191112_152103.jpg

IMG_20191112_151718.jpg

That bike looks nice... I bet it was a blast to ride.. Look forward to getting mine set up and trying it out..wonder how much is it going to weigh, with lighter exhaust , no passenger pegs and tail tidy ( -2kg ) and different wheel set up... 😄 

Should be below 200kg fully fuelled 😄 

Wheels and hubs removed from bike.. Cleaned up and ready to ship on Monday. 

A bit unfortunate with back wheel as the disc bolt was a bit stubborn and I've rounded the bloody head 😅

Ordered  new one from yamaha and will remove the bolt at work with some welding... 

Tomorrow I'll remove the side stand and create a new one at work. 

Monday order tyres that will be fitted by the company who makes the wheels. 

No more riding until the SM wheels are here. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200314_110824-01-01.jpeg

• Like 1

With the smaller rolling circumference of the new wheels, how do you intend to correct the ABS ring sensors and also the speedometer?

38 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

With the smaller rolling circumference of the new wheels, how do you intend to correct the ABS ring sensors and also the speedometer?

I've been in touch with the dealer and there is no option to use mt07 abs ring as this will not make the speedo work properly... The difference will be around 10 miles per h more than the actual speed... 

Solution is to get healtech speedo healer and install it. 

Screenshot_20200314-182548.jpg

Edited by Aleksandar13

Will you then have to run with ABS disabled all the time, because the ECU will not calibrate to the new wheel diameters, it is looking for 21" and 18"

2 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

Will you then have to run with ABS disabled all the time, because the ECU will not calibrate to the new wheel diameters, it is looking for 21" and 18"

The dealer didn't mention this to me and only said about the speedo difference.. Could you please explain where you have the information from? 

I've done many of these wheel size conversions, and you always have to make new slotted ABS rings, with a different number of slots to match the new wheel circumference, luckily the T7 does not have traction control, which works off the same rings.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

I've done many of these wheel size conversions, and you always have to make new slotted ABS rings, with a different number of slots to match the new wheel circumference, luckily the T7 does not have traction control, which works off the same rings.

Ah that sounds good to me... I work in engineering and can replicate a ring from mt07 easily.. Laser cut with the bolt pattern from the t7 and number of holes from mt07 🤔👍

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Ah that sounds good to me... I work in engineering and can replicate a ring from mt07 easily.. Laser cut with the bolt pattern from the t7 and number of holes from mt07 🤔👍

Good stuff. You’ll have a 1st T7-SM.  
Good on sharing the info.
Can the head of the bad disc bolt be banged bashed / pended over and bang in an Allen key bit of an impact driver in to it ? (I’ve had success that way, the hammering is a bit of an art and it think helps loosen the screw, even though it probably has some loctite on it. 

11 minutes ago, X Plane said:

Good stuff. You’ll have a 1st T7-SM.  
Good on sharing the info.
Can the head of the bad disc bolt be banged bashed / pended over and bang in an Allen key bit of an impact driver in to it ? (I’ve had success that way, the hammering is a bit of an art and it think helps loosen the screw, even though it probably has some loctite on it. 

I've tried that on all the rear disc bolts and it worked... Except for one... This might be the case of heating up and then trying it but I don't have facility at home to do it..

Would be nice to have the first SM in the world... Could do with some stickers like with 700SM on the rear section where the white sticker is missing from factory 🙂

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Would be nice to have the first SM in the world... Could do with some stickers like with 700SM on the rear section where the white sticker is missing from factory 🙂

Or at least definitely the 1st SM one on this forum anyway.

Consider Investigating if deeper front brake pads that sweep the whole area of discs can be got. I don’t know if MT-07 pads are any deeper or if they’d fit.

1 hour ago, X Plane said:

Or at least definitely the 1st SM one on this forum anyway.

Consider Investigating if deeper front brake pads that sweep the whole area of discs can be got. I don’t know if MT-07 pads are any deeper or if they’d fit.

Parts are ready for action tomorrow.

I'm rethinking to make a whole new side stand and keep this one as standard... I've got laser cutter, benders and welders at work who could make one for me... 🤔

I was thinking to use Ebc HH pads as a lot of people say they are good. Haven't had a change to think about other options yet maybe mt07  forum can get me some more information. 

ABS disc gets the same hole pattern but with mt07 number of slots ( I'll make 2 as the front and rear are the same)... 

Aleks 

IMG_20200315_120607.jpg