Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New T7 Raid from Yamaha

James

Last they said june-july. The bike is on Yamaha official pages in Europe. Price is as said a bit over Rally. In the end you get a bigger tank and some details. Just bought a 2021 Rally and not sure I want to trade.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Firebolter and @williestreet make some good points, I concur on the fuel capacity increase being the only real interest for me. The increased pricing will likely push a lot of prospective buyers to the current iteration who will add a Camel tank or Rotopax for additional range. Personally I want to lose weight on my T7, not spend an additional $2K for around 30 lbs more weight and possibly gain another 100 miles of range, with the TFT and Stabilizer not necessary in my eyes. Still, the bike looks good and if I was looking for a new one, it definately would be on my radar.  I think the best take away from this is that Yamaha is continuing to innovate and  " improve" this platform that has been a great success so far.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Really interesting. Three ABS modes sound like a good idea, and they mention the lower fuel tanks compared to the T7.

I do like the advanced fork (PLA!), don't think the additional suspension travel is necessary, but it's nice. Rear linkage is said to be altered/improved as well.

I could not get any price info yet on yamaha-motor.eu, though.

And I am a bit sceptical regarding actual availability...

Edit:

2022-Yamaha-XTZ700D-EU-Icon_Blue-Action-

The official product page of the Ténéré 700 World Raid. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an...

1900 GBP more compared to standard model. Wow. Sounds like a good deal, I almost regret having ordered the standard model.

But then I'd still have to add stuff like crash bars, skid, hand guards, ...

And I really like the slimmer silouette of the original T7 better.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

Maybe just me, but the whole “world raid” label is somewhat of a sensationalist marketing turn off.  Is it supposed to make us feel like Genghis Khan on a motorcycle?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Maybe just me, but the whole “world raid” label is somewhat of a sensationalist marketing turn off.  Is it supposed to make us feel like Genghis Khan on a motorcycle?

Spot on, mate! 🤣

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

I think its a bit of a nod to the WR Dirt bikes... Like the WR250 etc... WR can be World Raid, even if it means Wide Ratio gearbox. Its consistent. 

I'd call it the WR700, T700, and R700. (World Raid, T7, and Rally edition)

I like the new bike, if the center of gravity with lower tanks and wind protection is good, alongside price, its a great bike alongside the regular versions. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

I think its a bit of a nod to the WR Dirt bikes... Like the WR250 etc... WR can be World Raid, even if it means Wide Ratio gearbox. Its consistent. 

I'd call it the WR700, T700, and R700. (World Raid, T7, and Rally edition)

I like the new bike, if the center of gravity with lower tanks and wind protection is good, alongside price, its a great bike alongside the regular versions. 

Oh no, It looks a great new bike & at a fair enough price. The name just does little for me. I’ve aspiration to ride the world maybe,  but “raid”?? Nah..

• Like 1

Since i'm only half as fast as pol tarres🤪, i don't need the better suspension ... Bike looks good though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Youtube commercial says something like "the world just got smaller" (due to the longer range, I guess).

Wrong direction, Yamaha!

16 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

Since i'm only half as fast as pol tarres🤪, i don't need the better suspension ... Bike looks good though.

On his day off i guess? :classic_cool:

Sad to say I think Yamaha have dropped a huge one with this bike. £11600 for what exactly, well you get 7 ltrs extra fuel, upgraded suspension, a colour tft, steering damper, wider foot pegs and a wider body and screen and they want £1900 for that, very disappointing tbh. 

The suspension is interesting, but unless Yamaha engineers have read the forums, it’ll probably have wholly under sprung springs for western sized riders and it remains to be seen what they’ve done to the damping settings with a small piston. 

The fuel tank increase will be welcomed by the adv touring riders, but the girth will be off putting for those wanting to ride it offroad. 

The colour tft is a welcome addition imho and the 3 abs modes is also appreciated, but if you can link your phone, why only allow text messages to be seen?

Wow, a Ohlins steering damper…………….. 

so the offroad gang will be put off by 220kgs wet weight and a wider bike, plus a higher seat that looks to be the same old uncomfortable bench with a flashy colour scheme, but its 15mm higher. 

The adv touring brigade will be looking elsewhere as theres no Cruise Control, no Tubeless wheels and the same old torture device of a seat. 

I think Yamaha have missed the point, the offroad guys want a lighter better suspended bike and the tourers want anything that makes covering mileage more comfortable. 

On the positive side, it looks great!

the Norden looks like a bargain compare to this, £750 more and you get, cruise control, tubeless wheels, adjustable abs, traction control, quick shifter, spot lights, mega comfortable seat (I’ve ridden one), luggage rack, great suspension and feels really light, plus 30 bhp more and weighs about 8kg’s less. Of course it doesn’t have the Yamaha reliability although I have to bet the Raid spokes will corrode within 3 months on the euro bikes. 

Shame really, I was really hoping that the Raid would be the replacement for my T7, but alas, sadly I will probably have to look elsewhere. 

5C252B2E-2177-4C3F-8B29-0C90D7A84ADA.jpeg

15248CB1-D8D0-450E-BF97-B1BCFFEDDC47.jpeg

309EBC36-4428-4E50-BDBF-66D2357BC27E.jpeg

D0B08B6D-7E50-4EA1-9618-11CDF2676294.jpeg

898897EF-D220-4804-A38E-BAA739D6045F.jpeg

083B60B3-4422-487B-8246-87E8704EFEFE.jpeg

879EEADF-08C5-4719-886A-71E8EA8E70D3.jpeg

Edited by Alf Meister
Photos
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

Sad to say I think Yamaha have dropped a huge one with this bike. £11600 for what exactly, well you get 7 ltrs extra fuel, upgraded suspension, a colour tft, steering damper, wider foot pegs and a wider body and screen and they want £1900 for that, very disappointing tbh. 

The suspension is interesting, but unless Yamaha engineers have read the forums, it’ll probably have wholly under sprung springs for western sized riders and it remains to be seen what they’ve done to the damping settings with a small piston. 

The fuel tank increase will be welcomed by the adv touring riders, but the girth will be off putting for those wanting to ride it offroad. 

The colour tft is a welcome addition imho and the 3 abs modes is also appreciated, but if you can link your phone, why only allow text messages to be seen?

Wow, a Ohlins steering damper…………….. 

so the offroad gang will be put off by 220kgs wet weight and a wider bike, plus a higher seat that looks to be the same old uncomfortable bench with a flashy colour scheme, but its 15mm higher. 

The adv touring brigade will be looking elsewhere as theres no Cruise Control, no Tubeless wheels and the same old torture device of a seat. 

I think Yamaha have missed the point, the offroad guys want a lighter better suspended bike and the tourers want anything that makes covering mileage more comfortable. 

On the positive side, it looks great!

the Norden looks like a bargain compare to this, £750 more and you get, cruise control, tubeless wheels, adjustable abs, traction control, quick shifter, spot lights, mega comfortable seat (I’ve ridden one), luggage rack, great suspension and feels really light, plus 30 bhp more and weighs about 8kg’s less. Of course it doesn’t have the Yamaha reliability although I have to bet the Raid spokes will corrode within 3 months on the euro bikes. 

Shame really, I was really hoping that the Raid would be the replacement for my T7, but alas, sadly I will probably have to look elsewhere. 

Have to agree with Alf Meister, somewhat disappointed as its now approaching high spec bike prices, but without the essentials a Adv tourer wants, and too expensive  and heavy for the back to basic light weight off road crowd.

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

I think "World Raid" was the name of the original T7 marketing campaign.  I could be wrong about this.  They had riders on each continent uncrate the bike and take it for a ride.  The crated bikes in the marketing campaign had a Tenere "world raid" decal on them.  Our production T7s lacked the marketing campaign decals.  I think you can buy replica Tenere World Raid Stickers like the ones on the marketing campaign bikes off of ebay.  I liked the idea so I have world raid on my wrap.  Once down a front fork leg and once over a rear number plate.  It is pretentious but I like the idea.  Interesting Yamaha is giving the new version of the T7 the name.

Raid on @Idarex ! To each their own,

mate.  Like I said, probably just one of my many quirks. 
   @Alf Meistermakes some fair points about the Norden being a better bargain for the price. It’s the one option that remotely appeals if I ever wanted to step into modern gadget land from early T7 simplicity. Which I’ve no inclination to do yet.

• Like 2

Rethinking it, I at least partially agree with Alf Meister and FredBasset. It reaches price regions (and weight, sadly) of "bigger" adv bikes (KTM/Husky, Honda?, Aprilia?) which all offer stuff like cruise control and varying other benefits.

Will its simplicity and reliability still convince people?

How does it perform offroad?

We won't know until we've ridden it.

• Like 1

Does look nice but thats not enough with so many good bikes to choose from. 

D8B104F8-8B62-411B-B257-20EDEA8B57BB.jpeg

A3530698-A4E9-4E0E-9756-A951E4A6E089.jpeg

Not sure why anyone would want a timer, unless you like the challenge of beating your best time to work each day 😀 . I’m not really sure why people are so miffed about the tft, its not likely to be anymore unreliable than the LCD screen and I dont see how it really adds to the complexity of the bike, its just a screen and a toggle switch on the handle bars. 

2017A52C-DB37-4CA5-BB76-7CE4067291AD.jpeg

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Like 1

Way too wide and the dreaded TFT with unwanted options that only can cause problems, what's not on cannot fail.
Very happy with the normal T7 i have and almost completed to my wishes and needs, wouldn't even trade it if i didn't need to pay extra.

Edited by Ray Ride4life
  • Like 3

I’m glad they are innovating. However i think they dropped the ball on this one. 
The suspension while improved is a let down. They could have rerouted the exhaust like HP Corse. 
The big one for me was the suspension.

I’ll just get my stock stuff revalved and I bet it’s just as good as the new stuff. Or I’ll spend the cash saved on the world raid and just do an SSS conversion or Ohlins swap.

I don’t get how they can justify Kashima but not standard SSS forks.

23 minutes ago, FredBasset said:

😂

E71803A7-FAF6-4E78-991C-80993FDE37DB.jpeg

Looks like you’ve got a double puncture and the tides coming in 😜

• Like 1

Oil capacity is up by 0.4 ltr, wonder if the have fitted an oil cooler like the Rally Raid? Looks like checking coolant level will be an easy job. 

4082BF10-974C-4F7B-AA8A-78F53F2B0907.jpeg

On 11/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, Kalle said:

Hi. Called the local dealer and reserved a Raid bike. Looks like they are coming around May. Price will be a bit over Rally but nothing crazy.

Hi Kalle. Congrats 👍. I’ll also reserved mine in November. Yesterday I’ll bought blue one. The estimated delivery time is in May. 
I kept my mouth shut until it was official 😂.

Edited by willy_79
  • Like 3