Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What are the top five first upgrades that help the Tenere 700?


Cruizin

Recommended Posts

When the USA and Canada search "Top Upgrades for Yamaha Tenere 700" this coming summer, this thread will be ranked high in what pops up, we have some pages like that.

 

Anywho, this is the Tenere 700 forum so what do you early owners of the T7 consider to be the most needed/bang for buck/improvements? 

 

I would love for this thread to contain good advice, images, even vids. Especially links. 

 

Help us summer 2020 and beyond owners learn from your trail and shop findings, please.

 

Your posts will be seen by and help literally thousands of future Yamaha Tenere 700 owners, following your years of experiences shared on the forum.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bike as it is with more mods than the above..

 

These are. All Yamaha OEM unless stated: crash bars, heated grips, flashers plus F and R, R&G engine cases, uprated bash plate (definitely worth it if venturing off road), headlight protector, unbolted reflectors on front forks, Yamaha fork stickers from T7 rally, centre stand, tank and side stick on protectors.

 

 

IMG_20191229_142221.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Rich TT said:

The bike as it is with more mods than the above..

 

These are. All Yamaha OEM unless stated: crash bars, heated grips, flashers plus F and R, R&G engine cases, uprated bash plate (definitely worth it if venturing off road), headlight protector, unbolted reflectors on front forks, Yamaha fork stickers from T7 rally, centre stand, tank and side stick on protectors.

 

 

IMG_20191229_142221.jpg

Bike looks nice... I'm waiting for my tail tidy as well and need to decide on seat and exhaust soon... 

Thank you for sharing your mods..

My favourite mod with no money is to take the slack from the throttle cable down to 1.0 or 2.0mm.. Makes the bike so much smoother and better. 

I will tilt the handlebar forward and see if I like it. 

Oxford heated grips are good for me for winter rides and early mornings.

Is the exhaust the oval or tri oval one? 

Aleks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

 

My favourite mod with no money is to take the slack from the throttle cable down to 1.0 or 2.0mm.. Makes the bike so much smoother and better. 

 

Forgot that one and you're absolutely right. This is the BEST mod of all. I just re-checked and adjusted mine again at the weekend. I have it with no slack essentially (check lock to lock doesn't raise the revs) and it fuels perfect with great pick up.

 

Thanks for reminding me !

 

It's the oval - all carbon. £285 or £290 all in if I remember. It comes with baffle too (which does work), but I run mine without. Great build quality. I'd recommend.

 

Oxford grips - agreed. I have them on another bike and they're much warmer than the Yamaha ones, even when adjusted to max cc.

 

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2-finger folding clutch and brake levers

Tilted the handlebar up/forward (I'm 1,86/6'1, did not need risers)

Heated grips (Yamaha)

Crash bars (Yamaha)

DIY/printed GPS mount for TomTom 550

 

Planned/considering:

Adventure spec bash plate

Bigger foot rests

Knee pads for extra grip

Wrapping plastic parts (protection and personal styling)

Bark busters

 

And will check my throttle play 😉

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top 5:

Bar forward riser

Suspension re-spring and re-valve for my weight

Lowered foot pegs

Rally seat

Dunlop 908 rear/606 front

 

Next items:

ACD Racing skid plate (won in contest!)

Yamaha OEM rear rack

Off-The-Road - rear riser link

Shorty levers

Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag & Powerlet

Bar warmers

GPS Mount for GPSMap 478

RotoPax & mount

Pelican Box emergency kit and tire repair

Foam air filter

 

Winter Project (yr 1)

Build off-road wheels Excel A60 front (1.6x21) and Excel (2.5x18) rear

De-smog, and mail in re-flash (possible complete exhaust system)

 

Edited by GPSAT
  • Like 5

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My top ten modifications/updates with no particular order

1. Lighter exhaust (hpcorse or other)

2. Tail tidy (T7rally or rg racing)

3. Crashbars aluminium (outback motortek or adventure spec, but not compatible with high fender...alternarives Yamaha crashbars or rg racing)

4. Bashplate aluminium (adventure spec or ACD racing available in black or swmotech and waiting for T7rally carbon or axp racing plastic)

5. Suspension closed front cartridges with preload caps and rear shock with separate low and high compression damping (rallyraid products or touratech or T7rally still waiting)

6. Lithium battery (t7 rally or offtheroad or ruggedroads)

7. Single front disc with different front brake master cylinder and caliper

8. Slipper clutch (offtheroad.de)

9. High front fender (Acerbis supermoto black)

10. Remove passenger pegs

11. Tubeless front and rear (rallyraid-products)...

 My bike came with front headlight guard, adventure pegs, bar risers, side panel grips

 

 

Edited by al700
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, al700 said:

My top ten modifications/updates with no particular order

1. Lighter exhaust

2. Tail tidy 

3. Crashbars aluminium

4. Bashplate aluminium

5. Suspension closed front cartridges with preload caps and rear shock with separate low and high compression damping

6. Lithium battery

7. Single front disc with different front brake master cylinder and caliper

8. Slipper clutch

9. High front fender

10. Remove passenger pegs...

 My bike came with front headlight guard, adventure pegs, bar risers, side panel grips

 

 

I already got 1... akrapovic but thinking of the hpcorse short if it is considerably lighter than the akrapovic. The next additions will be crashbars bashplate tail tidy and high front fender...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Top mods for me

 

Free :

Adjust the Throttle slack as mentioned earlier. ( no 1 thing to do , best mod for this bike )

Adjust Gear lever to suit your riding and make gear changes smooth and fast.

 

Weight saving :

Soft luggage ( no racks ) ( in the process of purchasing blizzard saddle bags)

Remove passenger pegs ( if riding solo ) ( will produce blanking plates for the rear foot rest at work for myself ) 

Tail Tidy from T7 Rally ( still has not arrived yet)

Exhaust ( have not decided on brand yet 😄 ) 

 

Comfort

Adjustable levers ( second mod in my list as this has improved the use of the clutch and gear changes) 

Heated grips ( your choice, I have oxford , a must for temperatures below 10 degrees.)

 

Overall the T7 comes very good from factory as mentioned before and each individual will tailor the bike to his needs 😄 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Top mods for me

 

Free :

Adjust the Throttle slack as mentioned earlier. ( no 1 thing to do , best mod for this bike )

Adjust Gear lever to suit your riding and make gear changes smooth and fast.

 

Weight saving :

Soft luggage ( no racks ) ( in the process of purchasing blizzard saddle bags)

Remove passenger pegs ( if riding solo ) ( will produce blanking plates for the rear foot rest at work for myself ) 

Tail Tidy from T7 Rally ( still has not arrived yet)

Exhaust ( have not decided on brand yet 😄 ) 

 

Comfort

Adjustable levers ( second mod in my list as this has improved the use of the clutch and gear changes) 

Heated grips ( your choice, I have oxford , a must for temperatures below 10 degrees.)

 

Overall the T7 comes very good from factory as mentioned before and each individual will tailor the bike to his needs 😄 

 

How did you manage to modify erase the throttle slack?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, al700 said:

How did you manage to modify erase the throttle slack?

Follow this video as it is mainly the same adjustment ... I have left 2.0mm ..but be sure to check lock to lock with the bike started ... if it does not rev up while on full lock in either direction you are good to go..

This mod helps a lot from transition from braking to back on throttle on corner entry... 🙂 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my priority:
 

1. Anti scratch foil for dashboard,
 

2. rear suspension spring according to rider weight,

 

3. larger footpegs,

 

4. serious bashplate,

 

5. Yamaha OEM luggage rack for rear seat. Higher front seat but nothing available aftermarket at the moment. So I will ask local upholsterer. 


Cheers

Martin

 

Edited by bikeever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Follow this video as it is mainly the same adjustment ... I have left 2.0mm ..but be sure to check lock to lock with the bike started ... if it does not rev up while on full lock in either direction you are good to go..

This mod helps a lot from transition from braking to back on throttle on corner entry... 🙂

Thank you. Will it work with OEM heated grip?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 minute ago, al700 said:

Thank you. Will it work with OEM heated grip?

Yes .. this just takes the slack from the cable to give you a better response 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Offroad tires (Motoz Tractionator Desert HT, and still goes well on dry roads)

2. Stronger bashplate (Adventure Spec)

4. Lowered footpegs. The T7Rally.com pegs are really good but possibly a bit wide for some tracks and can scratch your legs if wearing short boots.

5. Oxford heated grips (not fitted yet).

Engine guards (GB Racing).

Rally seat. Good for my legs but a bit narrow for long trips. Getting better over time. Will look at Seat Concepts later when they offer a high seat.

Yamaha radiator guard to stop stones damaging the radiator 

Light weight saddle bags (Enduristan Large)

Lipo Battery.

HH pads (and later also better rotor) on rear so that the rear matches the front for braking power.

Vibration absorption pads wedged between dash and windscreen mount (works really well to quell the jiggle in the dash)

Smaller flush alloy bolt to mount the fork protectors. The nylon bolts I used snap on rough roads.

Remove pillion pegs and bolt on a shackle to allow the saddle bags somewhere to tie down.

Foam air filter with cut-down inner snorkel to match. My inner snorkel is 18mm long and now all the filter is being used.

Adjust the throttle cable.

Yamaha LED indicators, TST industry converter cables to Yamaha plugs, TST Industries LED flasher relay.

Dash screen protector

Quad lock phone mount

Garmin GPS mount

Double take adventure mirror

Sidestand kill-switch bypass

Protective tape on panels to avoid scratches from panniers 

 

Lots more to do:

3. Suspension for my weight / riding

Exhaust (love the sound of HPCorse, but maybe something lighter/cheaper with cat delete, tune)

Stronger spring for sidestand (it is a bit weak)

Extra LED lights

Narrower rims with Tubliss system

Stronger hand guards

Tail tidy

Fender extender

Stickers

Fuel filter

Secondary air filter

Extra USB outlets.

 

2038050519_20191223_155259Copy.thumb.jpg.40a6f4c19def30525d11fb4e7cd147c5.jpg1122750340_20200101_161607Small.thumb.jpg.650910a3779757ce71de7bea31bbbd87.jpg1788716028_20200102_085613Small.thumb.jpg.7ec81fef491e0d0294faefea40b45636.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2020 at 8:42 PM, hombacher said:

 

The funny thing is, the new Tenere 700 is complete and ready to ride from off the shop floor. Changes or adaptions are only needed or to be considered by personal will and interests. In my opinion there can not be a sensefull Top 5 list.

 

 

If you need a daily commuter, you may need the heated grips and a small rack to place your bag.

 

If you need a hardcore adventure bike, you may know best by yourself, what is needed.

 

If you need a bike for Starbucks, you may speak to your local Touratech dealer and order the full line of senseless attachments.

 

If you need more shine and bling bling, you should click through the China cheap, crap & copy stores.

 

If you are looking for the best riding buddy you can get for money, you already have found him, in that moment when you push your new Tenere 700 out of your dealer's store.

You seemed to have hit the nail.

 

Edited by shaneygrog
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

1. Offroad tires (Motoz Tractionator Desert HT, and still goes well on dry roads)

2. Stronger bashplate (Adventure Spec)

4. Lowered footpegs. The T7Rally.com pegs are really good but possibly a bit wide for some tracks and can scratch your legs if wearing short boots.

5. Oxford heated grips (not fitted yet).

Engine guards (GB Racing).

Rally seat. Good for my legs but a bit narrow for long trips. Getting better over time. Will look at Seat Concepts later when they offer a high seat.

Yamaha radiator guard to stop stones damaging the radiator 

Light weight saddle bags (Enduristan Large)

Lipo Battery.

HH pads (and later also better rotor) on rear so that the rear matches the front for braking power.

Vibration absorption pads wedged between dash and windscreen mount (works really well to quell the jiggle in the dash)

Smaller flush alloy bolt to mount the fork protectors. The nylon bolts I used snap on rough roads.

Remove pillion pegs and bolt on a shackle to allow the saddle bags somewhere to tie down.

Foam air filter with cut-down inner snorkel to match. My inner snorkel is 18mm long and now all the filter is being used.

Adjust the throttle cable.

Yamaha LED indicators, TST industry converter cables to Yamaha plugs, TST Industries LED flasher relay.

Dash screen protector

Quad lock phone mount

Garmin GPS mount

Double take adventure mirror

Sidestand kill-switch bypass

Protective tape on panels to avoid scratches from panniers 

 

Lots more to do:

3. Suspension for my weight / riding

Exhaust (love the sound of HPCorse, but maybe something lighter/cheaper with cat delete, tune)

Stronger spring for sidestand (it is a bit weak)

Extra LED lights

Narrower rims with Tubliss system

Stronger hand guards

Tail tidy

Fender extender

Stickers

Fuel filter

Secondary air filter

Extra USB outlets.

 

2038050519_20191223_155259Copy.thumb.jpg.40a6f4c19def30525d11fb4e7cd147c5.jpg1122750340_20200101_161607Small.thumb.jpg.650910a3779757ce71de7bea31bbbd87.jpg1788716028_20200102_085613Small.thumb.jpg.7ec81fef491e0d0294faefea40b45636.jpg

@TimeMachine I posted something similar a few posts earlier...now reading your post it sounds like we got the wrong bike...maybe we should go for KTM 790 Adventure R...if they had not proved so troublesome and unreliable though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me simply the Yamaha crash bars, Yamaha heated grips, USB outlet, rear seat interchange rack to carry my duffel/camp bag, quad lock phone/gps mount and with just these 5 mods I plan to do over 100k km’s and ride it everywhere and do everything, no need to do anything else if the bikes treated right.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, al700 said:

@TimeMachine I posted something similar a few posts earlier...now reading your post it sounds like we got the wrong bike...maybe we should go for KTM 790 Adventure R...if they had not proved so troublesome and unreliable though...

Completely the opposite for me. The T7 has the bones of what I really want and now I am just tuning it to be exactly what I want. There is nothing out there even close to the T7 for me. I want a very capable and reliable bike with legs that I can go anywhere and get myself out of trouble with even though I am a bit older, less fit and have less skill than the Dakar guys. 

The T7 is a great bike out of the box, and that fact should not be lost because some of us want to customise it to suit our specific needs.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Completely the opposite for me. The T7 has the bones of what I really want and now I am just tuning it to be exactly what I want. There is nothing out there even close to the T7 for me. I want a very capable and reliable bike with legs that I can go anywhere and get myself out of trouble with even though I am a bit older, less fit and have less skill than the Dakar guys. 

The T7 is a great bike out of the box, and that fact should not be lost because some of us want to customise it to suit our specific needs.

Agree 100%. Personalising your own bike to exactly how you want it (better) is sometimes just as rewarding as buying it in the first place. And to start with such a great bike, makes it even more fun. 

 

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is how I stopped the dash from a minor wobble. I got these anti-vibration squares and cut one in half to fit the blocks between dash and windscreen mount. I will likely make them smaller and tie or glue them in somehow, but they stay wedged in place and works well for now. I will put a couple on the inside of the bash plate to protect the oil filter and sump bolt.  

OMD10028.thumb.png.d3d1daedaa76604dfeaae69a656f2380.png

 OMD10029.thumb.png.60db2936e826cccbf97ddc4cd2c360b2.png

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Agree 100%. Personalising your own bike to exactly how you want it (better) is sometimes just as rewarding as buying it in the first place. And to start with such a great bike, makes it even more fun. 

 

Rich

Agreed, its quite personnel and different for what you want to do with it. I went for Michelin tires, hard luggage, protection, heated grips and all the yam stuff early doors as nothing else was available in August. Riding across France to the Pyrenees and into Spain we carried camping gear, parts tools food and cloths. So everything was specific to what I want. 

 

Cheers All the best Mick 

 

   

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.