Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Skid Plates

tenerecanada

I really like this Camel ADV business. I got my bike Saturday and ordered a bunch of his stuff that night. I held off on the plate because of all this compatibility issues. But just starting there and getting the rest to go with it is a good option!

My research is making me pause though. It is starting to seem like all the front end stuff. Crash bars and plates, are sacrificial on a bike this heavy. Like whatever I get will end up getting abused and replaced. Which is a good argument for not spending too much…

• 2 weeks later...

It's down to the AXP or Camel for me. I love Camel ADV products and would like to stick with them but the AXP has those side extensions that give some protection to the water pump and clutch cover, it would probably run quieter, it is less expensive, and I'm pretty wimpy (old too) when it comes to riding over tall obstacles, so if I end up skidding over something on the plate I made a mistake and it won't happen again! But we have lots of sharp rocks where I ride so I don't trust the stock "cowl".

Looks may be a factor too, the newest versions of both of these Euro 5 compliant guards are just big. The AXP is huge but seems to look more normal than the Camel which someone described as looking like a steam shovel! It does project way out and look that way, LOL. They both protect the CAT which is important. But I'd love to hear from owners about that look.

I went for the AXP. I like the appearance, quiet, don't need additional case protection, light duty. If I was really aggressive I would have gone for the Camel.

Edited by Husafreak
I went for the AXP.
  • Like 1

I ordered my AXP from them directly, shipping via DHL was fast and affordable. I installed it today without too much trouble. The hardware included wasn’t quite the same as in the instructions and video but a bolts a bolt in the end. On my bike five of the bolts lined up perfectly but the front left was at an odd angle. I mean the threaded receiver on the bike and the hole in the plate were at different angles. Being plastic that was easy to fix with a moto tool. It looks good and I like it. All the Euro 5 spec skid plates are going to hang way out front.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 5:35 AM, tenerecanada said:

SW Motech

4mm Aluminum

Mounting Instructions

76F53E32-3A8F-4B45-A199-A64B03FA5AEC.jpeg

930116BA-5355-47FC-8173-27734E6175D4.jpeg

63DEF926-ADD1-4B5C-8489-8973C5000132.png

No heat issues with this SW-Motech skid plate, due to the slightly less airing in the middle of the front? Otherwise looks mighty sturdy. 👍

If no issues, I think I'll get one, as it in addition to its sturdiness also appears to protect well against any gunk.

Thanks for comments, anyone. 🤔

Edited by Chev.

• Moderators
On 7/22/2023 at 6:26 AM, Chev. said:

The thread hasn't been updated in a while, and a few newer models have hit the market. Personally if you are looking into getting a metal skid plate I would recommend Camel ADV's offering.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Been liking the Acerbis skid plate. Molded really well to the bike and it offers some extra side protection. Not going rock smashing with it, however it seems very durable for most situations.

May be worth a look.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, Chev. said:

No heat issues with this SW-Motech skid plate, due to the slightly less airing in the middle of the front? Otherwise looks mighty sturdy. 👍

If no issues, I think I'll get one, as it in addition to its sturdiness also appears to protect well against any gunk.

Be careful if you want this to fit a Euro 4 bike. I ordered one for my decat euro 5 as the OE rally bash plate stuck out too far. Imagine my surprise when I fitted it and realized the brackets had been modified to accommodate euro 5 bikes. This resulted in the new bash plate looking worse than the original (sticking out enough to put a clenched fist in the gap). I was told by the vendor that the design had been modified, that the euro 4 version had been superseded and all sw motech bash plates going forward would be euro 5 compliant. 😞

In the end I returned it and managed to pick up a used yamaha euro 4 rally bash plate for a decent price.

I'm running a touratech rallye skidplate with GB racing engine, waterpump, and water pipe covers. 

I liked the Rallye plate for how high it is at the front which protects as much of the front of the engine as possible from road spray01_632_5135_0_01_a015.jpg.bf8b09740194578b768502dd355229c8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @tenerecanada and @neil_ for your comments! 👍

In fact I mounted the SW-Motech bashplate (the black version) on my Euro 5 today - and to me it appears all good 🙂 I like that it's quite high in the front, but at the same time more airy than the Touratech Rallye.

But, what do I know, really 🤔 - Time will tell how happy I'm going to be with it. 🙂

Edited by Chev.

9 hours ago, Chev. said:

Thanks @tenerecanada and @neil_ for your comments! 👍

In fact I mounted the SW-Motech bashplate (the black version) on my Euro 5 today - and to me it appears all good 🙂 I like that it's quite high in the front, but at the same time more airy than the Touratech Rallye.

But, what do I know, really 🤔 - Time will tell how happy I'm going to be with it. 🙂

I worried about air flow with the touratech rallye until I noticed Adam raiman flogging his t7 through western Australia deserts with one fitted  

4 hours ago, sunndog said:

I worried about air flow with the touratech rallye until I noticed Adam raiman flogging his t7 through western Australia deserts with one fitted  

Thanks @sunndog! 👍 Well noted.

The SW-Motech on the bike:

20230806_164733207_iOS.jpg.0316014637af6ec943818d58f05c2e6c.jpg

20230806_164719407_iOS.jpg.19693318a87c47bae6ca76fcf029bd4f.jpg

Solid iron adapter behind the three bolts in the front. Doesn't cover the shock linkage or the sidestand  kill-swith. The priority is to protect against all things thrown up by the front wheel, ability (hopefully) to slide over obstacles without hooking up up things.

20230806_164719407_iOS-02.jpg.fa254ba109e67c59831384e056afb767.jpg

20230806_164646506_iOS.jpg.e6550ceb82526373d163dd43ea028d48.jpg

Since they just barely touched, I grinded off the a adapters for the cat's heat protection (Euro 5):

Inked20230806_164823672_iOS.jpg.965c03ade8f22dbbd1b5dd84b167af8e.jpg

We'll see how it's going to work out 🙂

Edited by Chev.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:22 AM, pgeldz said:

How about the uprated Yamaha Accessory one?  Haven't seen it mentioned.  It's way beefier than the standard one, and it looks to flow with the lines of the bike real nice.  It even has an option for a tool kit!  Comes in machine finish and also Black!

BW3-F84R0-00-00-SKID-PLATE-Studio-001_Tablet.thumb.jpg.a814684b780d633a57396d53c314cfc3.jpg

BW3-F83P0-00-00-SKID-PLATE-TOOLBOX-Studio-001_Tablet.thumb.jpg.67e6733c0acc8909be90737f0cf26a4e.jpg

That toolbox is an eyesore when fitted. Check a video out before you buy one.

Think that Yorkshire? Lad living in Australia on here had one in a vid

*edit

Rider guider 

Throwing my vote in for the Camel, as it's one of the few on the market that I'm aware of that utilizes the center stand bracket as a mount point.   Fitment is great.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if the Yamaha part # BW3-F84R0-V0-00 will fit a 2023 USA model? I'm finding mixed answers when I search.

s-l960.png