Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Skid Plates

tenerecanada

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Matt88-8 said:

Good man! Appreciate that. 

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. Anybody knows if the SW-Motech centrestand is compatible with the Touratech bash plate (Engine Guard ”Expedition” for Yamaha Tenere 700)?

• 3 months later...

Does anybody know if the linkage guard on something like the AXP skid plate would work on a bike fitted with lowering links? I might be imagining this wrong but wouldn't it touch since the linkage got lowered?

• 2 months later...

Just got my Camel Gut Guard in the mail. Beautiful craftsmanship. Attractive looking guard enhances the look of the bike. Lighter than I expected. 10/10.

IMG_5637_medium.jpg?v=1616433299

2021.5 and newer European T7's are equipped with EURO 5 emissions compliant exhaust. For 2022 model year, ALL Yamaha T7's will have this new exhaust which places the catalytic convertor ahead of the engine instead of...

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I have the optional Yamaha Skid Plate 

I'm planning to paint it in black but I'm not sure about the method. Do you know if it is anodized ? Yam website doesn't mention it it just says it in reinforced aluminium. 

If not can I go straight with sanding and standard spray painting for aluminium ?

BEH-F84R0-00-00-Skid-Plate-Tenere7-EU-Studio-001_Tablet.jpg

Edited by Quant

The OEM rally skidplate form the old XT660Z was bare aluminium but if i look closer at the picture it looks anodized. Never heard of reinforced aluminium, there are different types of aluminium but people are very quickly offended and it's apparently very offending to tell some people that they call things wrong so even professionals start calling things wrong so people who are not familiar with things think we call them stupid for not knowing.

But you can sand it with an 180 grid sandpaper and scotschpad after that. Then clean it and apply an epoxy primer (best within halve an hour), when that's dry you can paint it with a 2K paint in the preferred colour.

Aluminium gets rolled, for armour, but wouldn’t be sure they’d bother for this. Never know. It cost enough. Only problem with painting is it would scratch back to ally fairly quickly in use. 

45 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Aluminium gets rolled, for armour, but wouldn’t be sure they’d bother for this. Never know. It cost enough. Only problem with painting is it would scratch back to ally fairly quickly in use. 

painted mine.  not even a primer on it.. hammerite is paint that incapsules rust and all that junk.. 

not that i dont have blank spots.. but its just 1 or 2 places.. have it for about a year now.  and even if it gets scratched up a bit more.. ill just repaint it.

must say that it grew on me quite fast.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yamaha Tenere 700 (2019 – 2022) P3’s legendary carbon composite skid plates are now available for the popular Yamaha Tenere 700! Perhaps the only thing these bikes are lacking from the factory is a proper lower...

Wondering if anyone has any feed back with this skid plate?

TIA

I just can tell you this one definitely doesn't fit with the Heavy Duty Enduro crashbars.

I just got my T7 three days ago and bought the skid plate from yamaha, was about to install but was wondering all the torque values. The instructions that come with yamahas parts are pretty vague as I found out when installing rear rack

1 hour ago, ItsAlbynoRyno said:

torque values

Loctite and old fashion "feel". It's just a bash plate. 

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Went with @camel-adv gut guard. Solid and linkage slider. Can also see the billet aluminum water pump guard from Alt Rider. 7EDBA3A0-BF22-4025-901F-251E4783B272.jpeg.be06bfaf0e6cba45f68f394d100c1f69.jpeg

23D67C4E-0066-4C1B-A8D7-A54622EA6A21.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, TRT7 said:

Went with @camel-adv gut guard. Solid and linkage slider. Can also see the billet aluminum water pump guard from Alt Rider. 

Great choice!  Cory @Camel ADVmakes bullet proof stuff.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 6/26/2022 at 7:28 PM, ItsAlbynoRyno said:

I just got my T7 three days ago and bought the skid plate from yamaha, was about to install but was wondering all the torque values. The instructions that come with yamahas parts are pretty vague as I found out when installing rear rack

Yeah, hand tight. Might take a bit of fiddling if you’re working in a small space, but easy enough otherwise. Just put copper slip on all the threads etc for future ease. And put screws in the toolbox nuts to keep them good too. 

5 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Just put copper slip on all the threads

Step into the 21st century and use ceramic paste.
Copper grease was from the time when there was just steel to steel but when you get to mixing metals like on modern bikes you don't want to add another metal, it might make the thing you want to prevent even worse.

27 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Step into the 21st century 

That’s what everyone keeps telling me. Apart from bikes, I’d happily go back a century. 🍺

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You guys can use anti-seize if you want, I still stand by loctite on the bash plate.

The bash plate bolts look like the perfect things to come loose and fall out.

Does Loctite protect against rust?

Image result for Loctite 242 rust
Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 protects threads and prevents from leaks, rusting, and corrosion and eliminates the need to stock up on expensive lock nuts and washers.

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

59 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

You guys can use anti-seize if you want, I still stand by loctite on the bash plate.

The bash plate bolts look like the perfect things to come loose and fall out.

Does Loctite protect against rust?

Image result for Loctite 242 rust
Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 protects threads and prevents from leaks, rusting, and corrosion and eliminates the need to stock up on expensive lock nuts and washers.

Used 242for years professionally. Good stuff. 
270 on brakes etc. 601 for bearing fit. 620 for stuff you don’t plan on taking off. 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, AZJW said:

Great choice!  Cory @Camel ADVmakes bullet proof stuff.

@AZJW completely agree! He and his team are also very customer focused and responsive. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 2:16 PM, Dirtbandit said:

Yamaha Tenere 700 (2019 – 2022) P3’s legendary carbon composite skid plates are now available for the popular Yamaha Tenere 700! Perhaps the only thing these bikes are lacking from the factory is a proper lower...

TIA

I have ordered one due to arrive on the 5th August I will post pictures and feedback.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:16 AM, Dirtbandit said:

TIA

I bought one and returned it immediately.  My impression was it was quite thick and heavy, and it felt like mostly resin.  A flashlight shines through it, there only seems like a couple layers of carbon (4 max) but it's 1/4" thick and weighs 4 lbs.  My best guess is it would crack hard with the first rock impact.  It looked nothing like a carbon bike frame etc with a well developed layup, more like a center console from a cheap show car.

I went with an acerbis and couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

There's a ridiculous number of different bash plates here! I'm going to need a compatibility, features and specs spreadsheet. Bueler? Anyone?

• Like 1

@Husafreak

Rucoy Highlander GIF - Rucoy Highlander Bees Knees GIFs

Does your T7 have Euro 5 exhaust? The Euro 5 exhaust has the catalytic converter on the upper left side of the exhaust pipe. The bad news is that it requires a slightly different skid plate, but the good news is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~