Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Canadian Shipment Confirmed!

GPSAT

• Premium Member

From what I gathered, there are 150 customers who will not be served with this shipment, ie 150 units short of the full Canadian pre-order total. 

How to tell what your place # is?  no idea.  
Its April 25th, and I have not heard from the dealer I pre-ordered my bike from.  Last time I spoke with them, there were no updates.
Looking at their web-site, un-surprisingly they are closed to the public due to Covid 19, so I'm going to assume I'll see my bike sometime in the future and is not part of this shipment (I pre-ordered fairly late)....

It would be interesting to know how many pre-orderes there were in Canada, and how many people will actually follow through their purchase (especially given the current economic state) 

But, at any rate, this is a surprise!
I thought Yamaha was delaying production by 2+ months?   not be actually ahead of schedule. 

Tazmool

Congratulations to you lucky Canadians who receive their T7s! Please let the rest of us know if there are any significant changes from the 2020 European and Australian models we have been reading about.  ☕

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey, is that original Stage 5 page down?  

The link no longer goes to it and I can't find it again....
Maybe it was Yamaha's late April Fools joke? 

Tazmool

• Like 1

Interesting. And the landing page does still have the Tenere 700 banner near the top to the link. But just redirects back to the landing page.

The YT vid is still up.

• Like 1

Wow this is great news.  When I ordered my dealer confirmed I was in the first 100 for Canada so maybe ...

Unexpected news.  I just purchased 4 oil change kits and a motocross shirt today because they were on sale.   Funny thing - 6 months ago I asked my dealer if you can buy bulk oil and save money and he said Yamaha never puts their oil on sale.  It is a different world.

On that note I hope everyone is keeping sane as the days grow warmer during lockdown.

cheers

-Bob

• Like 1

can't confirm,Yamaha only dealers usually get new bikes first over multi-line dealerships

I wonder if bikes ordered thru Yamaha only dealership will get priority

Ordered mine 29 nov,the Yamaha rep said there ~ 200 bikes ordered already through out Canada

cant remember the exact number  

Edited by vilageidgit62
correction

I was going to post a question about this when I found this one. I ordered mine in December and that dealership had already taken 20 orders before me. I reached out to them last week as I hadn't heard a thing since I put my money down in December. They had no idea where the bikes were and he mentioned that the plants had been closed for a few weeks due to COVID and may be behind. I was expecting to pick it up mid May. Any updates on this will be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member

I was able to speak with the dealer I pre-ordered the bike from (via phone, shop is not open to the public) 
They were not aware of any T7s being shipped to Canada and had no updates from Yamaha Canada at all. 
They did say that over the next few days they will reach out to Yamaha Canada and see what is going on.

So.... nothing new so far.

Tazmool

• Like 1

Here is the landing page.  Very surprised they would fire up the assy line for only 200 bikes.   2-3 days production at the most.  It would seem likely (to me) that a few hundred bikes for the states early deposits would be added to make up for a week long run.

It is what it is.  Congrats to our Canadian brothers.

7AAD3402-7D68-4EF0-A75E-082158CBC7C2.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

Shortly after buying my XT660Z Tenere I found out through a forum there was a potential recall/ check on some 660's for a gearbox fault...when I checked with my dealership they had no knowledge of any recall !  I contacted Yamaha who confirmed it...I then passed all the details on to the dealership! Luckily my bike was ok....but it highlights the sometimes amazing lack of communication between dealerships and manufacturers.   Cheers,  Steve 

I asked my dealer to confirm if I am in the first wave, or second one ... not holding my breath.

So the first few hundred will get them and some 150 will get them later this summer.

Does anyone have the total numbers of actual EDP orders?

The actual message changed on the Yamaha Stage5 page ... now it says () :

The time has come. Your Next Horizon is here!

The first 2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 units produced for the Canadian market have been crated and shipped from our factory in Iwata, Japan! These first few hundred units are slated to arrive in dealerships during the month of May – earlier than the original ‘Summer 2020’ timing we communicated last year.

Unit deliveries will be made in the same order as when deposits were placed during the Early Deposit Program (EDP), underscoring the importance of the priority delivery incentive. However, due to production limitations related to COVID-19, there are approximately 150 early deposit customers required to wait for a second shipment later this summer to receive their Ténéré 700.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There is a good amount of info in Yamaha's communication, its not 100% clear cut, but there are numbers there. 

Right in that message from Yamaha, it appears that  "these first few hundred units are slated to arrive in dealerships" 
So 200 units shipped?
Followed by
"there are approximately 150 early deposit customers required to wait for a second shipment" 

So ~150 units outstanding.

We can conclude that there were at least 350 pre-order units in Canada. 
The unknown is what # pre-order were you?

I think I was north of 220 (yamaha rep at the dealer back then said there were 220 pre-orders by this point, this was early December)  so I should be in the second batch of bikes produced. 

However, another unknown, is how many people will giveup their $500 deposit due to the hard economic times and cancel their pre-order.  
It would be a choice you would have to make, depending on your economic condition.  Give up $500 to save the $12,500+ you would have to spend on the bike.  If you've been off work, quarantined at home, no income and bills are still coming in.....  its not much of a choice really. 

Motorcycles are a luxury good in North America.  In virtually all of Canada, you can't use one year round, not unless you're really determined.  And, its far cheaper (vs buying a brand new T7) and safer to have a used car kicking around for your year round transportation needs.

Having said all that, I would not be surprised if all pre-orders that follow through, will be fulfilled by this first batch of bikes going to Canada, ie cancelled order bikes going to the next person in line,  and possibly have a few units kicking around dealers with no takers.  

I'm sure Yamaha knows this, and planned for it accordingly by having 200 of the 350 pre-orders shipped out, and allocate the rest to other regions with pre-orders as well.  Spreading the love as best as they can, hitting up the largest amount of actual buyers. 

Thoughts anyone? 

Tazmool

2 hours ago, Tazmool said:

There is a good amount of info in Yamaha's communication, its not 100% clear cut, but there are numbers there. 

Right in that message from Yamaha, it appears that  "these first few hundred units are slated to arrive in dealerships" 
So 200 units shipped?
Followed by
"there are approximately 150 early deposit customers required to wait for a second shipment" 

So ~150 units outstanding.

We can conclude that there were at least 350 pre-order units in Canada. 
The unknown is what # pre-order were you?

I think I was north of 220 (yamaha rep at the dealer back then said there were 220 pre-orders by this point, this was early December)  so I should be in the second batch of bikes produced. 

However, another unknown, is how many people will giveup their $500 deposit due to the hard economic times and cancel their pre-order.  
It would be a choice you would have to make, depending on your economic condition.  Give up $500 to save the $12,500+ you would have to spend on the bike.  If you've been off work, quarantined at home, no income and bills are still coming in.....  its not much of a choice really. 

Motorcycles are a luxury good in North America.  In virtually all of Canada, you can't use one year round, not unless you're really determined.  And, its far cheaper (vs buying a brand new T7) and safer to have a used car kicking around for your year round transportation needs.

Having said all that, I would not be surprised if all pre-orders that follow through, will be fulfilled by this first batch of bikes going to Canada, ie cancelled order bikes going to the next person in line,  and possibly have a few units kicking around dealers with no takers.  

I'm sure Yamaha knows this, and planned for it accordingly by having 200 of the 350 pre-orders shipped out, and allocate the rest to other regions with pre-orders as well.  Spreading the love as best as they can, hitting up the largest amount of actual buyers. 

Thoughts anyone? 

Tazmool

I might be giving you false hope, but a few normally refers to 3 or more and a couple refers to two. The dictionary might disagree but I have never heard a few being used to mean 2. So there may be 300+ in the first batch, which gives you even better odds! Good luck.

• Premium Member

Heh, very good point!

Yamaha did use some vague language in their announcement, not sure why, but they did.  
It may be overly pessimistic to interpret few as ~2+ where it should be ~3+ 

At any rate, with everything going on it the world, these are all but small details, and we are very fortunate to mull these trivial things. 

😄

Tazmool

• Like 1

Dropped into my dealer (Daytona Motorsports) in Vancouver today.  I told them I had recieved an email as an early deposit costomer telling me that 200 Canada destined T7 had been shipped from Japan and that later in the summer the remainder of the Early Deposit Program (150  units) would be delivered.  My dealer took 12 Early deposits.  He says  he will receive only 4 or five units.  He said there were no black in the first shipment.  I ordered Black.  Hey, but didn't I see a black go into the box at the end of that video?IRMED

T

Unit deliveries will be made in the same order as when deposits were placed during the Early Deposit Program (EDP), underscoring the importance of the priority delivery incentive. However, due to production limitations related to COVID-19, there are approximately 150 early deposit customers required to wait for a second shipment later this summer to receive their Ténéré 700.

Made in Japan Tenwhere 700 is already available in Thailand,but will be available later sometime in the summer for Japan !!!

we are lucky Yam Ass Hat is allowing us to have a few bikes,Yam Ass Hat should have produced the Tenwhere at the same time in Japan and France considering the Tenwhere has a longer jestation period than a frilled shark

Edited by vilageidgit62
  • Confused 1

may be as long as three and a half years, the longest of any vertebrate

interesting. So true that vilageidgit62

My dealer, said they just started making the Canadian ones last week. But they would be here in just a few weeks?. And everyone who pre-ordered gets them?

whole lotta miss information 

though he did end by saying. Mine will be on the first shipment!

I cant believe anything until it happens...

and a 2008 XR650R just came up for sale for $2500 in good shape. Which is sort of the bike I was wanting until the T7 was introduced...

well. Maybe I need more bikes.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, vilageidgit62 said:

YAMAssHAt Tenwhere 700 is finally here
now the death match begins to see who will get theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4gOjdc5-0

thanks for GA Checkpoint Yamaha & Marine for posting

Damn! The BC boys look days away from the final paperwork!

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

And this weekend is supposed to be 27C the whole weekend...wonder who will be lucky enough to get the bike JUST in time for the wonderful weather!

gawd I am jealous...

• Like 2