Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing lately?

Cruizin

For street only, I use the Bell RS-2, i'd post a link but it's recently discontinued. Still a great helmet and I have the Bell Transitions shield that turns dark in sunlight, turns clear on sunny days. Once you ride with a transitions shield, you'll never want to ride without one. 

What are you guys using for ADV Helmets? Im looking at the Bell MX9 , because I can also order the transitions shield for it. In fact, this one comes with it already.

bell_mx9_adventure_dlx_helmet_matte_blac

The MX-9 ADV MIPS DLX has all the same features of the MX-9 ADV with a Transitions face shield included and MIPS rotational protection.

• Like 1

I have a Shoei Hornet DS,when it got redesign to the X2,they must have change the shape coz when I tried the same size it was squeezing my head,the larger size was too big

Was hoping Arai would redesign their 8 yr old XD4,all they could come up with was an aerodynamic spoiler for RX-7X helmet!

Looks like they share the same incompetance with YAMAssHAt.

These helmet looks perfect for virus filled environment we now live in,hope they are not made in China

https://www.matrixhelmets.com/helmets/streetfighter-helmets

• Like 1

I have a shoei RF-1200 for street. Got an Arai XD-4 for touring/off-road. Honestly, since getting the Arai I haven't touched the shoei. It's so comfortable and well designed, fits goggles with the visor on, nice shade from the sun that can be adjusted n the fly, lightweight, whole interior can be washed, and vents well. It's no wonder it's still the king of ADV lids, and not much to change in the design. 

I've also crashed in it, and it saved my head and survived with just a few scratches, Arai looked it over, still good to go. 

EDIT: the XD-4 is the lid in my avatar, the Dakar logo is a reflective logo placed on the back 🙂

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Helmets are one area where I tend to stick to buying one good one and just keeping it for a long time.
I'm still sporting my Shoei Neotec, and at least for now, see no reason to change it for another lid, even once my T7 arrives. 

So... the original Neotec it is .... even for "adv" riding. 
Pluse I'm not 100% convinced that an actual "adv" helmet is anything more than a gimmick.  I could be wrong, maybe time will tell. 

Tazmool

4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I guess the other guys here don't wear helmets? 

I'm wearing a shoei Ryd and I'm happy with the helmet... Got the lid for £260 and its 5 star rated. Has brilliant venting and love the shoei visor mechanism. 

One small complaint the vents on the top get louder when you turn your head sideways, but I'm not bothered wear earplugs. 

Aleks

IMG_20200410_153821-01.jpeg

• Like 1

Using the Arai Tour X myself. Bought it in Feb and before that had been sporting Shark for almost 12 years. In fact this lid is my first one outside the Shark range. 

it’s a great lid, after my research for an adventure helmet it seems to be the best out there and after buying it I can’t say I find one fault with it. Ventilation is great, field of view great (can wear goggles too and remove the visor) and one of the big ones which is noise is good too. It’s also easily one of the most comfortable helmets I’ve owned. Very happy with my purchase 👌🏼

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tazmool said:

Pluse I'm not 100% convinced that an actual "adv" helmet is anything more than a gimmick.  I could be wrong, maybe time will tell. 

Tazmool

Most decent Adventure helmets allow goggles to be used if required, i've got a Shoei RF1100 at the moment and I don't think I can use goggles with that. I suppose it all depends on how you use your bike and to what level of "Adventure Riding" you are doing.

I like the look of the Bell MX-9 that cruisin listed and really like the idea of the transitional shield, but I really like the look of the XD-4 in this colour that will go with my blue and black T7.  The XD-4 is about twice the price of the MX-9 so if it offers better protection i'll probably get that. You only get one head so you may as well look after it no matter how rough it is 😆  

Arai XD-4 Helmet Vision Grey/Blue/Black - Arai Helmet

• Premium Member

I'm using Shoei Hornet X2 or ADV not sure what the correct name is. Got it when it was discounted. I have it for years, its beaten up a bit but still seems to do it's job. I recently washed the insets and it made a whole lot of difference 🙂

As it reaches end of its life (as most of my gear) I'm looking for options, something lighter would be nice as mine is 1600g and one can feel it after whole day.

I was looking into Arai but the price tag...

---

https://farandfurther.org

https://instagram.com/farandfurther

https://facebook.com/farandfurther

• Like 1

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• Premium Member

Arai Tour-X4

E61888E4-0F00-436F-8599-0B83E0A424AD.png

A real good adventure bike helmet.

• Like 4

The last 15 years I have been using Arai TX2, TX3 and TX4.

The next helmet is the Arai TX4😎

Easily the best helmet I've owned, for long distance. It has SOOOO many features. Incredibly versatile. Comes with mounts to put a quick release goggle strap on it for when riding offload. Couple that with the integrated blue tooth X-Com and it works great for calls and listening to music. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 1

The price of the Arai Tour x is painful...but it's worth it I think.  It's beautifully made and finished,  super comfortable all day long.  Works fine with goggles too . I just wish Arai offered a better range of coloured/ iridium visors for the Tour X! 

Cheers, Steve 

Screenshot_20200516-145758_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Another thumbs up for the Scorpion 950 modular. It is replacing a Shoei multitec. The scorpion fits my skull better. The Shoei gave me pressure in the middle of my forehead. I like the beak on the Scorpion, too. I worried it would catch wind too much, but it is fine. Worth it when riding into the setting sun. The function of the  flip up button is smooother and placed better as well.

And I love the internal sun visor. 

Edited by ahamay
  • Like 1

This ones are arriving Monday i expect...

I have a shoei hornet ds since 2013 and the liners are dead... They cost 120 € this Helmet cost 239€...

Screenshot_20200505-233956~2.png

Screenshot_20200503-095519~2.png

• Like 5

Schuberth C3 Basic

Bought it when signed up in driving school.

Didn't want to put my head where other heads have been 😄

I'm not going to spend 400 € ou 500 € in a Helmet to 7 8 years, i prefer to spend 200 € 250 € and last 5 years... Never fell with this shoei and have the liner all damaged...

9 hours ago, CGras said:

My favourite is also the Arai tour X4. Such a comfortable and nice fitting helmet. 

I also have a Shoei GT-Air 2 in bright yellow which I use for commuting. 😄 It's also very comfortable but not as well ventilated as the Arai. 

Have you worn other Shoei helmets? How does the venting compare? I have an older X-Twelve that is long overdue for replacement and I was seriously considering the GT-Air2 because of the internal sun visor. And do you like the sun visor?

On 5/17/2020 at 5:50 AM, Lupan said:

This ones are arriving Monday i expect...

I have a shoei hornet ds since 2013 and the liners are dead... They cost 120 € this Helmet cost 239€...

Screenshot_20200505-233956~2.png

Screenshot_20200503-095519~2.png

I will be very interested to hear what you think of this helmet. I have an XD4 ( second time ) in orange and white. It is now close to 5 years old and time for retirement.

Please post up a review when you get your new helmet.

• Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Unfortunatly it seems that my order is "lost" in the road from Madrid to Lisbon... Since 14 this month i'm waiting for the order, probably i can't speak anything abaut the helmet for my bad 😭

I switch between a Schuberth E1 and a Klim Krios.   The Krios is very lightweight and flows a lot of air but is also noisy while the Schuberth is great  for general road driving and when flip up is needed.  It's a lot hotter than the Klim and less noisy.  I think when both helmets expire I'm going to go for the Krios Pro next and only keep one helmet. 

Just ordered a new Bell MX 9 Adventure on sale from Revzilla. I have ridden Bell's for a long time, great helmets. 

bell_mx9_adventure_mips_helmet.jpg

The rider-acclaimed MX-9 Adventure dual sport helmet has been upgraded with MIPS technology for greater protection from angled impact at speed.

• Like 1