Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing lately?

Cruizin

3 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm looking for a new cold weather helmet, want a flip up with peak this time.

The Arai is not the finest in cold and/or rain and the Nolan is 6 years old so up for change.

Hope i found something before my trip to North Cape.

I'm happy with my scorpion ADX-1 (not crash tested ;). Fully featured for a very reasonable price - probably not so suited for really hot weather. And I hear they have an updated version (ADX-2); so you might find a ADX-1 on a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the Scorpion AT950 with a Sena 50r. It's been a great combination. 

20220228_175935.thumb.jpg.966f32852a0e34960db74019b3822ec6.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris1974 said:

I have a Caberg Tourmax modular helmet. It has a peak, sunvisor, flip up chin (lockable)and pinlock and it is cheap! Perfect helmet for me!

caberg-tourmax-matt-gunmetal.jpg

caberg-tourmax-matt-gunmetal (2).jpg

caberg-tourmax-matt-gunmetal (1).jpg

oooo this looks pretty decent...might check it out!

this thread is awesome as I am in the mix of hunting new lid...

2 hours ago, Kingsize said:

I use the Scorpion AT950 with a Sena 50r. It's been a great combination. 

20220228_175935.thumb.jpg.966f32852a0e34960db74019b3822ec6.jpg

If you don't mind, how large is your head (in cm or inch) as well as what size you wear?

I am in between sizes for a lot of lids, so hard to say I am an L or XL...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

If you don't mind, how large is your head (in cm or inch) as well as what size you wear?

It's not only size, the shape of your dome is a big factor.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

It's not only size, the shape of your dome is a big factor.

ya, I got a huge noggin and not so intermedium oval comparing to some of my fellow Asian friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmyTheHog said:

oooo this looks pretty decent...might check it out!

this thread is awesome as I am in the mix of hunting new lid...

I reccomend it. If I would buy a new one right now it would be this one again.

I'm not sure of the measurements as I just go locally and try them on. But I'm normally an XL in everything, and due to the fitment at the cheeks and base of the skull, I went with XXL on this one. My current Fly racing for offroad only, as well as my Shoei are both XL. I'd say if I were you I'd lean a tad bigger on this one, as the cheeks are a bit tighter and the wrap over the head at the base of the skull is tighter than anything else I've used before it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kingsize said:

I'm not sure of the measurements as I just go locally and try them on. But I'm normally an XL in everything, and due to the fitment at the cheeks and base of the skull, I went with XXL on this one. My current Fly racing for offroad only, as well as my Shoei are both XL. I'd say if I were you I'd lean a tad bigger on this one, as the cheeks are a bit tighter and the wrap over the head at the base of the skull is tighter than anything else I've used before it. 

ya, local stores are all out of them...I guess I can try Scorpion's other line to see how the head shape fits...but so hard to shop without actually have them on....

• Like 1

ya, local stores are all out of them...I guess I can try Scorpion's other line to see how the head shape fits...but so hard to shop without actually have them on....

You can always purchase a Scorpion XL online at someplace like RM ATV/MC that offers an exchange program. Get to try it on,  and then decide if you want smaller or if it fits well. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a klim krios thats the most comfortable helmet Ive ever owned. I just recently bought an airoh commander which has some nice graphics but fit tighter than the klim. Im looking for a street helmet now for my bonneville and considering another klim. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, TimmyTheHog said:

I’d only get a helmet after trying it on. Too many variables for fit and comfort etc. Plus a lot of fakes out there too online. I like to go in as the new colours are coming out so I can buy last years’ at a discount. Couldn’t give a f**k if it’s knobjockey’s new colour scheme and he’s number one😁. And £500+ for a helmet is a rip off. I think I paid around £300 for my tour x4 in the dealers, After they shamed me into buying one when they checked up my old helmet for a new visor and realised it was 19 years old😳😂. (Tight bastard😞)

• Like 3

Totally agreed.
That's for all gear, not only the helmet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I’d only get a helmet after trying it on. Too many variables for fit and comfort etc. Plus a lot of fakes out there too online. I like to go in as the new colours are coming out so I can buy last years’ at a discount. Couldn’t give a f**k if it’s knobjockey’s new colour scheme and he’s number one😁. And £500+ for a helmet is a rip off. I think I paid around £300 for my tour x4 in the dealers, After they shamed me into buying one when they checked up my old helmet for a new visor and realised it was 19 years old😳😂. (Tight bastard😞)

ya, totally agree...in all front...

between covid and no supply shortage (god i hate typing those 2 now), I just don't have a good way trying stuff on...

also having a huge head doesn't help LOL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meh~ I must have nothing but good luck then. I never have all these online issues some speak of. Always buy from quality vendors, and I always get quality results. If I don't like the size, exchange it. But I do my research first, and and always end up with the results I'm looking for. Just my experiences. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Am wearing Klim Krios Pro. Love the light weight, airflow through the helmet is good and easily configured for adv / road / touring. Very comfortable and washable innards. My head is 58 cm, and the medium fits well. 

Edited by TRT7

On 3/28/2022 at 4:25 PM, S.Ga.Rider said:

I have a klim krios thats the most comfortable helmet Ive ever owned. I just recently bought an airoh commander which has some nice graphics but fit tighter than the klim. Im looking for a street helmet now for my bonneville and considering another klim. 

Ditto. Have the Krios Pro and love it! Super light and comfortable all day. 

• 1 month later...

I have the Klim Krios Pro.  Previous ADV helmet was Arai XD.  I relly like the plush interior and the light weight.  Like the Aria XD, you can wear goggles with the face shield without any issues.

Did I mention the weight?  😉  She's easy on the neck for sure.

Great thread, thank you all! I was in Cycle Gear yesterday and my god, they had a whole giant wall of helmets on display, maybe 200? I thought I would just cool it and do my research here first. Now I can go back with a laundry list of the features I need and try to find one that fits. 

For me the main reason to buy another helmet is to have the option of goggles or visor and speaker holes for a radio thingy. Then comes all the rest, lightweight, washable pads, pinlock, and on and on 😉

A wile ago i changed my Nolan N104 for a Nolan N70 2-X.
The Arai is not great in wet and cold weather and de N104 was already 5,5 years old and used wel over 100.000km. For the Trip i did last month i wanted a mix between the Arai and the 104 and i'm quite happy with it.
IMG_20220706_192424.jpg.236f15540ad4028656e443aa2eec6aa0.jpg

I went back to my local Cycle Gear to check out the wall of 200+ helmets and they had exactly one ADV helmet in my size medium to try on, one! LOL Guess I’ll be shopping online…

FWIW it was a flat black Bell MX-9 and it fit OK, but no accessories like tinted visor or photochromatic visor. They don’t carry com gear either. Come to think of it it looked like a clothing store.

I went for the Krios... Fingers crossed.

Edited by Husafreak
Made up my mind!

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the Krios (not the Pro) from Extreme Helmets. Super nice to deal with, talked to Lisa. I originally ordered a small and had to exchange it for a medium, no charge. My head measurement was exactly between SM and MD and reviews say the helmet runs large. Lisa explained that the Krios is round inside, so if your head is round size is closer to correct, but I guess I have an oval head, long front to back but narrow, so the small was like a clamp on the forehead and back. The medium is snug  a  comfortable fit. First long ride yesterday was 5 1/2 hours in the helmet, still a bit of aft pressure noticeable at the end of the ride but not bad. Could have been the heat too. I like the helmet a lot. at $475 not cheap and not real expensive. I installed a Cardo 4X easily enough. I played around quite a bit with the different shields and the visor on or off. I think 90% of the time I'll be happy with the clear shield and visor on. There's less rotational buffeting with the visor off at highway speeds but the visor is really nice for blocking the sun and here where I live there is almost always full sun clear skies. The smoke shield is cool, no glasses required, but every time you lift the shield you are blinded by the sun and I don't feel comfortable riding with no eye protection even for short stints. I don't find swapping the shields and removing the visor difficult but it is fidly, it would be a pain on the roadside or trail and you need to carry the parts. I haven't ridden with the pin visor yet but it is easy to install. I'm glad I have it.

I had to adjust the shield attachment points on mine, these are the fixed posts on either side of the helmet secured with two slotted screws each. Mine were not the same and so when one side of the shield was in the detents the other side was out, the weird ratcheting was bugging me until I saw how it works and it was a pretty simple thing to match one to the other. Of course I matched to the "wrong" side so the visor wasn't going all the way down. Then I repositioned both sides and got it right. I was worried that there would not be enough ventilation (compared to the Pro) from other reviews but it is OK for me. Yesterday I rode from high 60's to well over 100 degrees and I was comfortable with the ventilation, never cold or too hot. I did remove the chin cover for this time of year, which snaps on with three snaps. There is a video saying it does not come off so either that changed or the reviewer didn't do his job. That's the review where he complains a lot about the lack of ventilation too but when I was riding up the coast at highway speeds in the 60's I was glad not to be wearing a motocross helmet.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Been pretty impressed with my LS2 Explorer Carbon! 

It's noisy on the highway and the front piece is high which makes it a little awkward to put goggles on. But neither of those things out weigh the amazing weight, features and sexy looks!

I should say the reason I bought it was it that its the only thing my lbs had in stock that fit my head shape, but no regrets 

images.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Arai XD-4, but it's my first ADV helmet. Coming from dirt bike helmets and being an Airoh fan boy. The comfort of the XD-4 is very nice in comparison. 

On 3/16/2022 at 3:22 PM, Pilomajajo said:

I'm happy with my scorpion ADX-1 (not crash tested ;). Fully featured for a very reasonable price - probably not so suited for really hot weather. And I hear they have an updated version (ADX-2); so you might find a ADX-1 on a bargain.

I indeed got one super-cheap about 6 months ago. A friend has got the ADX-2, even better.

It wasn't great this summer (we were easily above 35°C for a long time over here) - but removing the chin curtain (?) helped A LOT in improving air flow.

With goggles (only rather small ones fit well) it was pleasant even on low-speed rides.