Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

30 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Yeah, but what's a beer drinker supposed to do? 

Exactly what i thought.
I guess bottle caps won't work.

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

Yeah, but what's a beer drinker supposed to do? 

send me your address...we  have plenty!

• Haha 1

Installed a new Shinko E804  on the front Sunday...they last about 4000 miles.  Today put  300 miles on it, about half on gravel/dirt. Rode some rocky/hilly stuff and was really impressed how the T7 worked on  that especially since I rode a decent amount of highway at 70+ on the way...and it performs there too!

Installed my LED bar.
Had it already for a while but with the Motea crashbars i couldn't mount it whee i wanted. Was already thinking about the Heavy Duty Enduro as i mentioned before and installed and this was one of the reasons from a few why i changed them.
Yesterday made a custom bracket and tonight i finally mounted him, it's switched on together with the high beam.
IMG_20220215_215939.thumb.jpg.b814ba5bb485ca5596440f9e9b6b857b.jpgIMG_20220215_221254.thumb.jpg.6edb41c1dc83a333d36806bd1ddb1543.jpg

More about how i executed it in my blog that will be up the upcoming weekend.

• Like 5

On 2/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, jdub53 said:

Also, as seen in the first pic below, I've found that pieces of old bicycle road tires and pieces of an old Frisbee's outer edge make excellent rim protectors for motorcycle tire changing. 

The corks are a nice solution. For rim protection I like to use a few short pieces of garden hose slit lengthwise.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

On 2/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

The blog for the updates from last week is live

Today i changed my Motea high crashbar for the Heavy Duty Enduro and changed the oil and filter, i put Kroon Expulsa RR 10W40 full synthetic in.
When i had both crashbars off i weighted me holding them and the difference is 1,7kg less for the HD Enduro.
Tomorrow i have to change the AS skidplate as expected to have that one working with the low mounted crashbars.
I also got an unexpected package from my tyre dealer, he should give me a quote for a Michelin Anakee Wild for the T7 and oil plus filter for the Crosstourer but he mixed some things up and he send me the order. When i called him about it he admitted his mistake and asked if i would accept the shipment if he gave me a 20% extra discount.
He already had a decent price for the Wild so i agreed and i can pay him next month so i also can fit a new rear tyre tomorrow also (did need a new rear tyre anyway).
The Motea high crashbar just before cleaning the bike.
IMG_20220212_111249.thumb.jpg.0833e063e9cb4dd7f83cf73e6ca70029.jpg

The HD Enduro without the skidplate.
IMG_20220212_183341.thumb.jpg.2c1376a39ed116f028324c9219892a0e.jpg

And the new tyre... As you can see not in the same order.

IMG_20220212_152921.thumb.jpg.9bf68d5bbcc86be9ef027a108d91d130.jpg

And the blog that goes with this work.

The LED bar install will come later, i thought it would be too long if i took it in in this one.

6 hours ago, nolman said:

Finished installing the Huzar 40cm .

IMG_20220216_154306389_HDR-2.thumb.jpg.ef4abe91fa9ae36745f503d5f0c142c4.jpg

That exhaust looks great. I like the way it is tucked in and away from getting damaged in a drop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muddy Thumper said:

That exhaust looks great. I like the way it is tucked in and away from getting damaged in a drop. 

I am always happy for other T7 owners when they do stuff to and for their T7 but I have never read a reason for ME to change my exhaust. I like the current sound, I have OEM luggage rack that protects it and I don’t need more power. Is they some reason I am missing for why I should change my exhaust out? Thanks for the clarification. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Is they some reason I am missing for why I should change my exhaust out? Thanks for the clarification. 

So you can lighten your wallet.  

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Initial mods while I wait for top rack and center stand.

I really like the 2022 blue color!

Koso heated grips

koso.jpg.7b2a29c7ea44100855fdd9ad212b6940.jpg

Replaced power outlet with a dual USB unit and volt meter

dual.jpg.77592b76425aa5a8e5189d95a97c7674.jpg

Perfect spot for the TPMS display 

tpms.jpg.d7055a5992e518dbd717a3caebe8c170.jpg

Fender extender, no a pic of my ugly dog is better (constant companion in the garage)

ferry.jpg.bb6110d7042642e0b5b6373d0b6a1658.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, NeilW said:

I am always happy for other T7 owners when they do stuff to and for their T7 but I have never read a reason for ME to change my exhaust. I like the current sound, I have OEM luggage rack that protects it and I don’t need more power. Is they some reason I am missing for why I should change my exhaust out? Thanks for the clarification. 

I think the 2 main reasons are getting it up and out of the way of the swing arm so it doesn’t damage it when the exhaust hanger bracket bends (as has been well documented on this and other forums that it does indeed do that), and dropping some of its massive weight. 

Personally Ive chosen to add swing arm protection instead of changing the exhaust.  God knows I’ve already spent so much money on this bike without having to do an exhaust and tune too! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT675 said:

I think the 2 main reasons are getting it up and out of the way of the swing arm so it doesn’t damage it when the exhaust hanger bracket bends (as has been well documented on this and other forums that it does indeed do that), and dropping some of its massive weight. 

Personally Ive chosen to add swing arm protection instead of changing the exhaust.  God knows I’ve already spent so much money on this bike without having to do an exhaust and tune too! 

Won’t the oem luggage rack protect it?  Am I safe because of the oem luggage rack?  I can’t recall seeing anyones replacement exhaust with a luggage rack covering it. 

19 hours ago, NeilW said:

Nope. If you’re happy with it, it’s the right one. 👍 some mud pluggas like it higher. Loads just like to personalise them. probably not two identical t7s  on this site. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

Won’t the oem luggage rack protect it?  Am I safe because of the oem luggage rack?  I can’t recall seeing anyones replacement exhaust with a luggage rack covering it. 

Yeah I think you should be good with the OEM luggage rack. I’m not sure how easy that is to bend but it should hold up in any slower tip over.  I certainly don't think there is any need for you to change your exhaust. 

On 2/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, NeilW said:

For you?  No reason really, unless you do deeper river crossings anyways.

The reality is with modern machines the power gain with an aftermarket exhaust are extremely minimal - and that's when you're removing the cat and tuning the bike for the new system.  2-3hp typically, and while people will claim they can feel the difference it's pretty much always BS.  You can feel the money you spent 🙂

Admittedly, you save several kilos switching to a Huzar muffler vs the stock one, but I don't really think saving a couple kilos is worth a lot of money.

But here, most people change the exhaust specifically to protect it.  That's why I changed mine: I'd already smashed the stock exhaust into the swingarm twice with right side crashes.   Will the OEM luggage rack protect it?  Uuuh, probably?  Lay it over on its side gently in the grass and see if the exhaust gets pressed into the ground/swingarm and you'll know.

For me, I have Heed rear crash bars, and they were mounted for both right side crashes and they did not protect the exhaust.  They're VERY strong and definitely protect the tail, but not the low and wide exhaust.

And as I alluded to above, the high mount systems like the Huzar get the exhaust outlet up very high, making it less likely to flood on an unexpectly deep river crossing.  That definitely doesn't apply to everyone though.

For me, given the Huzar system was $250 Canadian shipped (the price of just two regular basic name brand farkles) it was a pretty easy answer.

So, that's a valid approach too: just leave the stock exhaust, and if you smash it, replace it with a nice protected high mount exhaust.  

20220105_215711.thumb.jpg.36377d68c3c5b85b5fefd8ba72c887cc.jpg

Sits well inside the Heed bars.  Also, it stays very cool, making my soft bags a no brainer over the rack grab rails+crash bars. No danger of melty sadness.

The stock exhaust gets VERY hot.

20220128_170717.thumb.jpg.0946a2bcdd19f400f3d71d5a2d991cb2.jpg

• Like 4

Just replaced my steering head bearings 10000kms, my bike had a slight knock in the front end for some time, I couldn't nail it down, I thought it was the cluster making a noise on sharp hits, or even the side stand slap over rough roads, none of the above, recent 300km ride the noise got real bad about half way, I'm thinking the steering head was not torqued up correctly from new, could be a good thing to check and retorque.

IMG_20220214_074828130.jpg

IMG_20220214_074818307.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All the things. 150kms on it, the new suspension is amazing! Can't believe I did 10,000kms on the last one without it. What a difference it made🤙

Rally Raid open cartridge kit and rear spring, ktek rear valving. 

Camel high exhaust and fender, abh, rear rack and tail tidy. 

Cyclops LEDs 

Heated grips with real hand guards, a USB charging port, a rotopax and a little vinyl. This summer is going to be a good one!

IMG_20220216_175710.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Mike99 said:

Got some new shoes today, will put them on in a week or so 

20220218_145231.jpg

Let us know what they’re like on the road mike. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I put the Barkbusters handguard and Doubletake mirrors

IMG_8174.thumb.png.74a840b6034302291b32bd32a0af85e2.png

Before 

IMG_8178.thumb.png.2e2de90deb9880120d724a52849a1a18.png

After

• Like 5