Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

New Indicators front and back plus tailtidy. Akrapovic is on its way and the first bigger tour for the year, still pretty cold though 🥶

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 3/8/2022 at 9:01 AM, multimile said:

I can't see from the pics, what's the type and size of those? Thanks!

They are Motoz Tractionator GPS. The rear should be stock and front likely 90/90 21. 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2022 at 5:42 AM, winddown said:

They look trick alright.  What's the side effect for highway use if you mount them full offroad, Noisier?  Less traction?

There are a few reviews on them here on this forum. In short,  full off- road mount they are plenty good on the highway above 30 MPH. Below that they have a vibration many of us have noted. Braking is good on the highway. 

Off the highway they have better traction but less braking. Noticeably less braking. Turned around they “should” (I have not ridden them turned around from full off road direction) have less acceleration traction but better braking.  They might even loose the vibration around 20-30 MPH turned around too but that I’m not sure. 

• Like 3

Got my Rotweiler mirrors in from Rally Motor. Yes, my XTZ660 is sold but i still have a VFR1200 engine in my living room.
IMG_20220309_170528.thumb.jpg.d73b4b8bc853a8a6b5cb93830731d773.jpg

And of course they had to be installed right away... well after changing the riding gear for something more comfortable.
IMG_20220309_175741.thumb.jpg.1b5a65762d3cc675d761feb616253053.jpgIMG_20220309_175750.thumb.jpg.73a9c9af823355fc9dcb23053aedb5c2.jpg

I put them on about the same way as @NomadSweden
Sadly i didn't won them at their give away on their channel but i bought my own orange set and get rid of the Double take .
This cleans up the handlebar quite well...
IMG_20220309_175801.thumb.jpg.27761111b2194f0a6a8b6e2394b3cdc6.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/8/2022 at 8:01 AM, multimile said:

I can't see from the pics, what's the type and size of those? Thanks!

Motoz Tractionator GPS, 90/90 21 and 150/70 18

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

They are Motoz Tractionator GPS. The rear should be stock and front likely 90/90 21. 

yep.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

There are a few reviews on them here on this forum. In short,  full off- road mount they are plenty good on the highway above 30 MPH. Below that they have a vibration many of us have noted. Braking is good on the highway. 

Off the highway they have better traction but less braking. Noticeably less braking. Turned around they “should” (I have not ridden them turned around from full off road direction) have less acceleration traction but better braking.  They might even loose the vibration around 20-30 MPH turned around too but that I’m not sure. 

I've not ridden them in either direction yet, nor have I found a review of the tire by the same rider in both directions. If anyone finds one I'd be very interested, as I'm highly unlikely to reverse the direction once mounted because mounting motoz tires is a workout, even with my changer, and I'm still undecided.

What you said regarding offroad checks out at least with my non-expert "just look at the tread and guess what'll happen": 

20220309_113532.thumb.jpg.b8173f9829bced819b8ca78a10e3e361.jpg

In the offroad direction, the tire rotates forwards (away from my legs at the bottom of the image) which would theoretically "grab" and pull inwards the ground surface on acceleration.  The reverse would be true on braking, where the groves would push material away from the sides while the center band prevents the tire from digging down.

In the onroad direction that's reversed.  I would guess that the onroad direction provides better rain/water management onroad, but otherwise shouldn't really make a significant difference.  There's a pretty decent amount of contact for a 50/50 tire either way, though, so outside of rain it should have pretty darn good road grip regardless of direction.

But, that's just theorizing from a guy who's really not super knowledgeable about tires.   Like I said, I'd really like to read/watch reviews from someone who's used them in both directions.

Edit: Found a guy who's done both here: 

He says (had to check comments to be sure it's what he meant) that there's substantially more vibration in the offroad direction (felt like a full knobby tire), while 50/50 direction is much smoother.  He didn't notice a difference in offroad braking, but a significant increase in traction accelerating.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I've not ridden them in either direction yet, nor have I found a review of the tire by the same rider in both directions. If anyone finds one I'd be very interested, as I'm highly unlikely to reverse the direction once mounted because mounting motoz tires is a workout, even with my changer, and I'm still undecided.

What you said regarding offroad checks out at least with my non-expert "just look at the tread and guess what'll happen": 

In the offroad direction, the tire rotates forwards (away from my legs at the bottom of the image) which would theoretically "grab" and pull inwards the ground surface on acceleration.  The reverse would be true on braking, where the groves would push material away from the sides while the center band prevents the tire from digging down.

In the onroad direction that's reversed.  I would guess that the onroad direction provides better rain/water management onroad, but otherwise shouldn't really make a significant difference.  There's a pretty decent amount of contact for a 50/50 tire either way, though, so outside of rain it should have pretty darn good road grip regardless of direction.

But, that's just theorizing from a guy who's really not super knowledgeable about tires.   Like I said, I'd really like to read/watch reviews from someone who's used them in both directions.

I have a set to be installed sometime early Spring, so I too would like to see a review like you. I was contemplating doing the 50/50 install.

Just finished installing my Wings exhaust. It has a GNARLY sound. Love it!

20220309_182145.thumb.jpg.5f985c6deeb62a93675a20942b8d3ab5.jpg

20220309_182154.thumb.jpg.0912604dc020b2279be99adb1decf6a4.jpg

20220309_182847.thumb.jpg.27d00a708496ef3944efbf9995ec2106.jpg

20220309_182841.thumb.jpg.6f09d01fc0e2b629ea6ca667342468ed.jpg

20220309_185525.thumb.jpg.3f3e8f254987b494234c190ccc0ac9a8.jpg

20220309_185600.thumb.jpg.63565f758e4aaf5375e8380d63498f52.jpg

• Like 6

Idle and throttle clips for those interested. Sounds mean. Put your earbuds in and crank it up!

Edited by Kingsize
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Edit: Found a guy who's done both here: 

He says (had to check comments to be sure it's what he meant) that there's substantially more vibration in the offroad direction (felt like a full knobby tire), while 50/50 direction is much smoother.  He didn't notice a difference in offroad braking, but a significant increase in traction accelerating.  

I never found the vibration to be “substantial”IMO. Just noticeable. And, most of us who noticed the vibration reported it around 20-30 mph. Its smooth above that mph. I did notice a loss of rear braking traction with these tires new VS my OEM tires very worn. So there’s that. I have managed to get used to it but I wish I wouldn’t have had to. If dude in the video reports a much improved traction in acceleration in the off road direction then I certainly would never mount them in the 50/50 direction, I don’t think there would be enough for me.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Kingsize said:

Idle and throttle clips for those interested. Sounds mean. Put your earbuds in and crank it up!

Honestly, why do people post up on the web ( not you Kingsize ) these videos where they blip the throttle,  Just a little.    blip blip blip.  Are they afraid they're gonna blow the engine up or something?  REVVV it up, let's hear what it sounds like at 8000 rpm sustained FFS.

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, winddown said:

Honestly, why do people post up on the web ( not you Kingsize ) these videos where they blip the throttle,  Just a little.    blip blip blip.  Are they afraid they're gonna blow the engine up or something?  REVVV it up, let's hear what it sounds like at 8000 rpm sustained FFS.

Well in my case because Wings supplies specific instructions for break in during the first 30 miles, and excited me thought it sounded cool as hell and couldn't wait. I ended up today with 111.9 miles. So it should be properly broken in now. 

20220310_133828.thumb.jpg.a78be22cacaaf6dfd09287cdf7d5335e.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kingsize said:

Well in my case because Wings supplies specific instructions for break in during the first 30 miles,

Understood, look forward to the full power vid 😀

• Like 1

Put on the ProTaper bars as well as a Highway Dirtbikes Handguard setup today. I made a few small tweaks. But they fit very well. 

20220310_182729.thumb.jpg.d372998052bba78d297343d377dadf01.jpg

20220311_181848.thumb.jpg.d8fc9d8302457c7307acf36e0603dbc1.jpg

20220311_181811.thumb.jpg.6234599a0e637144afbca41a7228fa6a.jpg

20220311_181408.thumb.jpg.ba28962ef482853be19b6a81ae492a22.jpg20220311_181401.thumb.jpg.2197bef9f32bad1879574d50beff3ea3.jpg20220311_181337.thumb.jpg.1d643e66676ecc3bac7a2206c3c8cc55.jpg

Edited by Kingsize
  • Like 1

Removed the pillion pegs yesterday 

tempted to replace with the Krieger deletes 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Removed the pillion pegs yesterday 

tempted to replace with the Krieger deletes 

They're great. Cheap enough, well made and don't get in the way.

Work perfectly for their specific pack, but also add a couple of lashing points for other soft luggage/straps.

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I’ve bot got their kit but thought they might come in handy 

Good dual-purpose solution to blank and provide a strap point for the saddle bags.

Ive got an old Oxford tail bag I thought I could possibly adapt it to fit for  occasional use

i could actually remove the 2 side ‘flaps’ as there are 4 ‘channels’ on the underside that I could pass a strap through and attach to the 4 fixing points 

FA4587DF-F1EC-49F1-8B92-2CF0178DE452.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

Liked the double takes, but the CRG Arrows are something else entirely.

PROS;

-picture is smaller, but crystal clear with ZERO visible vibration. DT’s on 3” ram arms were buzzing a bit & lost some view to elbows. Long arms were better but floppy dumbo’s unless torqued to ball squashing levels.  (Not good)

- ridiculously lighter than DT’s. Rarely bother with scales but two complete mirrors weigh less than the long ram arms alone.. Total CRG=334gr. Total DT = 866gr Over 2.5x heavier! More than a pound dropped off the handlebars.

-SOLID detents & action that holds positions. Of which there are multiples to choose from. Even when tucked in to their safest spot only about 25% -30% view is lost to knuckles & forearm. Out widest, zero body parts obscure & visibility overlaps about 20’ directly behind @ the 6 o’clock 

- remain useful when tucked in off road. Sure the DT’s can fold away, but then they’re useless. Leave them out & they’ll eventually flop unless over cranked. At least mine liked to.

- cockpit air is much cleaner. There’s no less of it, but it’s definitely not as turbulent without those two billboards squared away into the wind.

- appearance, bike looks & feels smaller from the pilots seat & elsewhere  Just a way better, more compact lines & a cleaner view from the saddle.

-Made in USA, not China….

CONS:

-PRICE…Ouch! As usual though, my sticker shock is quickly remedied by high quality products that exceed expectations & perform as well as these do. 

- rules out those hippo mitts or whatever brand of hand condom you may be eyeing to keep you winter rides less frigid.

- being a little further outboard makes holding a peripheral eye on mirror activity a bit more challenging. Not enough to be a bother. Mirror glances are still no more strenuous.

Conclusion;

doubtful the DT’s will ever come back out of their box now. Unless the decision to sell them has someone else do that. They’re good units, but these kinda put them to next level shame. If you can get over the absurd price, they’re absolutely excellent. Not looking back (at least not in regret)

8BC77EFC-BE0E-4881-B67B-B1DFF8E2DA99.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Completely agree about the CRGs. Great stuff! I pulled mine off my street triple when I traded it in so I only bought them once. I always felt like the CRGs removed some vibes from the bars... just a little extra weight bolted on the end maybe? On my street triple they survived a low side with just some scrapes, glass didn't even break

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, frivoloushobby said:

Completely agree about the CRGs. Great stuff! I pulled mine off my street triple when I traded it in so I only bought them once. I always felt like the CRGs removed some vibes from the bars... just a little extra weight bolted on the end maybe? On my street triple they survived a low side with just some scrapes, glass didn't even break

Ya, they’re the kind components that don’t sell with the bike, but just move to the next one. The way they fold in when dropped has me believe they’ll survive T7 life just fine

• Like 2

Yamaha OEM Rally tail tidy and LED indicators for me today. The inexpensive stuff because I’m too impatient to save up for an expensive exhaust. Still, Pretties up the stock plastic bulk a bit.

49F5D51C-70F0-4E89-849A-DAB664F2711E.jpeg

8081BBDB-07B7-48FF-8D86-1763FA92FF53.jpeg

• Like 1