Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Hey @sracer do you have any idea how many miles were on your tire?

When new, they look like you might get 10,000 miles out of the beasts.

Thanks,

Bob

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

Hey @sracer do you have any idea how many miles were on your tire?

When new, they look like you might get 10,000 miles out of the beasts.

Thanks,

Bob

That GPS has 10,000 miles, probably 70% street. I have about 160 on the new tractionator Rallz/Dual Venture combo. Hugely more confidence expiring than the GPS on gravel and dirt. 

• Like 3

On 8/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, X Plane said:

A (Useful Popular Topic)  

Theme Copied from other forums.... were folk update and or mod their bikes etc.

For Example: I've fitted a (Tutoro) auto chain oiler on to my bike; see video & pics below: 

EC75D76E-CF64-4828-A0A0-9DDD3DB4162A.jpeg

9D698AAF-E909-42C1-BFA6-00F2FCCDD886.jpeg

6C88A71C-BC85-4B9A-96A9-6FFE564C2302.jpeg

I like this oiler. Hope video helps 👍

Thanks for the closeup and the install video. I always wondered exactly how it worked. But I have a sincere question, if the chain is sealed why lubricate it if the rollers are not getting the lube? What am I missing?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Thanks for the closeup and the install video. I always wondered exactly how it worked. But I have a sincere question, if the chain is sealed why lubricate it if the rollers are not getting the lube? What am I missing?

Still got metal to metal contact, chain to sprocket,  and also the o rings need lubing to stop them drying out and getting damaged, which kills the grease inside the roller, seizes the links, weakens it, then it fails and takes out the gearbox or your leg. 👍😉😂
(seen it happen)

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

As @Dougie said, there is still metal to metal contact on the outer rollers to sprockets. 

Also, as it fully coats the chain via capillary action, it both protects the chain from rust and keeps it clean.  Rust and dirt buildup on the surface of the chain will hasten the erosion of the orings too. 

Primarily, you're keeping the chain clean and lubricated, to reduce chain : sprocket wear.  

If this is beneficial or not depends heavily on your environment and riding - for casual riders it's not really necessary, for people riding in the wet it's really excellent.  There's an argument you're better off without a lubed chain riding in dust and sand as dust and sand binds to chain wax/grease rather than just falling off, but this bypasses that problem by allowing that sand/dust to be flung off the chain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

As @Dougie said, there is still metal to metal contact on the outer rollers to sprockets. 

Also, as it fully coats the chain via capillary action, it both protects the chain from rust and keeps it clean.  Rust and dirt buildup on the surface of the chain will hasten the erosion of the orings too. 

Primarily, you're keeping the chain clean and lubricated, to reduce chain : sprocket wear.  

If this is beneficial or not depends heavily on your environment and riding - for casual riders it's not really necessary, for people riding in the wet it's really excellent.  There's an argument you're better off without a lubed chain riding in dust and sand as dust and sand binds to chain wax/grease rather than just falling off, but this bypasses that problem by allowing that sand/dust to be flung off the chain.

Thank you for the explanation. I get it now. 

I found this set of Joe Rocket saddle bags and installed them.  I had to make 2 small brackets to hold them out where they belong.  Lots of room and 3 outside zipped pockets on each one.  Great for day trips.  And I added a new roll for the carrier rack as the old one done fell apart after 23 years of abuse.  

I also replaced the windshield to a Puig and it works great.  A lot better than stock for me.  

20220617_120038.jpg.1b169aa03b950edde8367875f1ee2674.jpg20220617_120146.jpg.96fc99c7d3f4effb9f4c6dede988ec9c.jpg20220617_120211.jpg.d61fea1dcf502546f6b8b36bd56cf22f.jpg20220617_120201.jpg.99b4d4702864c2a90b9db79022480606.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 6:01 PM, NeilW said:

Thanks

I mounted that kit on mine last week, its a pretty fine piece of kit that is, just remember to lift up the main wire bundle a bit when you mount the lower part of it (it makes sence when you do it) it or else you have to pull on it later, which dosent feel good

Any tips on bending back the passenger pegs after a drop? Do I just pull on them until they bend back, or should would it be better to remove them first to avoid damaging the frame?

IMG_20220619_101201.jpg.39406df01c1fae25598391a6327940d3.jpg

IMG_20220619_101225.jpg.5b0a3d95cfd902fba2ceeca8a981cae2.jpg

• Sad 1

Do you ride with passengers?  If not... just take them off and leave them off? 🙂

Gonna drop a recommendation for my Heed rear crash bars here, just cuz 😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Do you ride with passengers?  If not... just take them off and leave them off? 🙂

Gonna drop a recommendation for my Heed rear crash bars here, just cuz 😉

Nah, but I do use them as additional tie down points, as well as foot rests when I'm just lounging on the bike. The fact that they take the hit on instead of my rear plastics, like what happened, is also another reason I'm partial to keeping them on the bike even though I'll probably never use them for their main intended purpose.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Nah, but I do use them as additional tie down points, as well as foot rests when I'm just lounging on the bike. The fact that they take the hit on instead of my rear plastics, like what happened, is also another reason I'm partial to keeping them on the bike even though I'll probably never use them for their main intended purpose.

Good point. I always wondered if they would get in contact with the ground - so that's proven now.

Think I will keep mine as well for the same purpose!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Very good points - though I was just kidding, mostly because I had no real idea of a good way to un-bend them.  I mean, realistically, I'd torch where you want them to bend back out, grab the end with vice grips and something soft (to not mark the steel up too much), but that'll almost certainly mess up the paint where you torch them, so... eh. 

• Like 1

SW motech Center stand fitted.  It's a good as any factory one I have had, effortless to get the bike up on it and very stable.

197577503_sides-01.jpg.ca5af67d42b19fd6ba51ed8a2dace004.jpg

2129023716_sides-02.jpg.41ad8bf6de27e90c0ec0c0d365edb430.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, winddown said:

SW motech Center stand fitted.  It's a good as any factory one I have had, effortless to get the bike up on it and very stable.

Takes a little more effort when the bike is lowered but still easy enough. I use mine all the time. - well not right now as it is torn apart in a shop- but that is a different thread. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, winddown said:

Just got mine fitted up last week as well. Agree entirely. Effortless lift and quality product. Just wished I’d lubed the linkages whilst I was down there. Looks like the whole stand and bracket will have to come off to get a few of the pivot bolts out.

Took a nice trip de through the mountains west of town, "Powderface Trail".  

20220623_200404.gif.9a68991e863176d1190e720700150407.gif20220623_201003.jpg.bbe564a6f4286b5800cf8150f5cbe5d8.jpg

A very good time.  The GPS tires grab really nicely on the edge of the tire, and ate up the gravel, mud and water effortlessly.  

Despite starting the day with rain storms, the ride was sunny and reasonably warm, and while the road was pretty wet in places, it was manageable.  Some very deep puddles, but only limited, shallow mud.  Helped keep the dust down.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Took a nice trip de through the mountains west of town, "Powderface Trail".

Is that the trail where the GF asks you to stop every hour?

😁

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Just got mine fitted up last week as well. Agree entirely. Effortless lift and quality product. Just wished I’d lubed the linkages whilst I was down there. Looks like the whole stand and bracket will have to come off to get a few of the pivot bolts out.

No. When you take the lower shock mount bolt off and the upper dog bone bolt out then the one you want pivots toward the rear tire. Watch this from about 4 minutes. 
easy peezy. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, NeilW said:

No. When you take the lower shock mount bolt off and the upper dog bone bolt out then the one you want pivots toward the rear tire. Watch this from about 4 minutes. 
easy peezy. 

Appreciate that, I am a mechanic by trade. The front most linkage bolt that exits to the left side of the bike is entirely blocked from coming out by the long through bolt and bracket.

No biggie, just annoying!

Did some high rpm "tests". Turned out really well, 1st gear to roughly 60+ km/h and 2nd to 95 km/h. Noticed a power drop at this speed, could have been the rev limiter, display showed something around 10k.

She does sound really nice at 10k!

• Like 1

Rode a lot of roads and trails over near Leavenworth/ Plain WA. Very dusty.  If you rode in dusty conditions please get a prefilter! 

Also, check your steering stem nut!   Should be 110ft lbs.  

B2199BAB-B2CA-4811-81C9-D08E45E9FA3E.jpeg

1E977E8A-60CE-4627-B742-7E56DDCB7A3E.png

• Like 4

Added Acerbis engine guards, you can imagine my delight when the bolts you have to remove from the engine were enough to make oil leak out 🤦🏻‍♂️

If you are installing these, wait until you are doing an oil change, apparently! Fully expecting a continuous weep from this spot now. 

EE3EE49F-7ED9-4178-BA2B-7A1EBEFC9EF2.jpeg.8046a4bd03af998a0b800fd0ddf4f1bd.jpeg

Edited by Larson627
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does that have a mounting bolt at the bottom? Looks pretty high to be leaking oil, at least while the bike is just sitting there