Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

I bought another set of Rally Star tires.  I loved the grip off road.   I have about 7000km on the current set with a few kilometers of life left. 

4 hours ago, katana said:

I bought another set of Rally Star tires.  I loved the grip off road.   I have about 7000km on the current set with a few kilometers of life left. 

@katana are they noisy on the asphalt ?

16 minutes ago, NeilW said:

@katana are they noisy on the asphalt ?

Less noisy than most aggressive tires.  A badly worn TKC80 on my GS made more noise.

Just now, katana said:

Less noisy than most aggressive tires.  A badly worn TKC80 on my GS made more noise.

I had to take off my Pirelli MT 21 front because it was so darn loud. 

It's a choice, you want grip on loose(r) material you need gaps.
You want grip on asphalt you need as much surface on the ground.
Space between blocks means noise so it's noise or no grip offroad.
Just made my first kilometers with the K60 Ranger, started with wet snow and the new tyres had surprisingly good grip. Slow speed they are a bit ruff but that's to be expected, on the highway up to 150km/h all fine.
On the way back a muddy situation and the first impression is good. It was very dark with a lot shining from the puddles so i took it easy but where the E07's took me all over the place the Rangers had more than enough grip.
Back in town at the traffic lights, 2 Celsius and wet full throttle away to see what will happen.
I expected a slip but the front came up then a short slip on the white line and back to full grip, also some roundabouts and corners where the E07's went sideways no problem.
Let's see what they do in different settings and how long they last.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

It's a choice, you want grip on loose(r) material you need gaps.
You want grip on asphalt you need as much surface on the ground.
Space between blocks means noise so it's noise or no grip offroad.
Just made my first kilometers with the K60 Ranger, started with wet snow and the new tyres had surprisingly good grip. Slow speed they are a bit ruff but that's to be expected, on the highway up to 150km/h all fine.
On the way back a muddy situation and the first impression is good. It was very dark with a lot shining from the puddles so i took it easy but where the E07's took me all over the place the Rangers had more than enough grip.
Back in town at the traffic lights, 2 Celsius and wet full throttle away to see what will happen.
I expected a slip but the front came up then a short slip on the white line and back to full grip, also some roundabouts and corners where the E07's went sideways no problem.
Let's see what they do in different settings and how long they last.

I'd argue that while this is true, there are a lot of ways around things.  

For instance, my GPS tires currently have some 6000-7000kms on them, and the rear still sports >10mm tread depth.  It's got huge gaps between blocks, *except* a narrow center band.  Those gaps get great grip in loose terrain, but the center band ensures silence on the road, at least while upright.  Heidenau's K60 Scout has a similar setup; if with somewhat smaller gaps and less tread depth.  So you can have good grip offroad *and* silence on-road.  

Both sets have, in recent years, moved to a high-silica formulation and it's spectacular both for mileage and for cold and wet grip.  Previously, Heidenau's (and Motoz) where known for poor wet grip, but that's changed entirely in recent years.  The new formulations are really fantastic, even on ice and snow.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

but the center band ensures silence on the road

But that takes away grip on wet harder surfaces because it needs to dig in first for biting.
Good in everything in an illusion.
Somewhere you need to compromise, no matter what.

• Like 1

I have about 6500 km on my GPS tires and I've found them good on "just about" everything and yet pretty quiet on the highway.  Pretty close to a goldylocks tire.  However my last ride out was unexpectedly snowy with a 1/2" (ish) of snow that just wouldn't melt.  In that 1/2" of snow the rear GPS was terrible.  No traction at all in braking or acceleration.  The front tire actually seemed ok despite its very large blocks.  I think I will be cutting some of the rear's solid rubber bands this winter and see how it handles and what changes it might bring in road noise.  I've been debating on trying something different next time around despite the long tread wear of these GPS and its generally overall good traction, but I also can't stand loud droning on, on the highway with a knobby tire.

• Moderators

Changed out my rear tube. Catastrophic failure, luckily it was contained by a very stiff side wall of the RallZ tire. 

20221125_144152.jpg.bdab6764384c2709d254fba708c515a7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

3 hours ago, AZJW said:

Changed out my rear tube. Catastrophic failure, luckily it was contained by a very stiff side wall of the RallZ tire. 

Now that's a failed tube!  😯

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

That’s one of the reasons I just took delivery of Alpina tubeless wheels.   See For Sale for my OEM wheels and tires.  Only 350 miles on both.  

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

??? That never happens...

Maybe you just cut it open to show us the small puncture from the inside?

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
2 hours ago, winddown said:

yeah what brand was that tube

MotoZ Tractionator  Heavy Duty.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

That doesn't appear to be a HD tube.

20221207_090625.jpg.8a11788d7d1ac8eaa686fc826492eb85.jpg

Wow. I would send pics to Motoz. I am sure they would be interested in that type of failure.

I use ultra HD tubes that are around 6mm thick.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

Wow. I would send pics to Motoz. I am sure they would be interested in that type of failure.

I use ultra HD tubes that are around 6mm thick.

Yeah, I thought about that,  but the Tech at the shop where I got my replacement tube said he'd seen this a few times before. It's a new one on me, but got me questioning why I'm paying for HD tubes that cost both in more dollars and unsuspended weight. Trying a standard tube with sealant this time around, I'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

I would still send to Motoz. They are an Aussie company and aim their products at more harsh environments. A failure like yours could indicate a manufacturing flaw or a flaw in the rubber composition.

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 1

@AZJW No personal experience with HD or UHD tubes myself, but I've read in a few places they're not intended for extended highway speeds? Possible failure due to heat buildup? No idea but might be worth some Google time and/or reach out to Motoz?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

I would still send to Motoz. They are an Aussie company and aim their products at more harsh environments. A failure like yours could indicate a manufacturing flaw or a flaw in the rubber composition.

Ok, I'll be sending them a picture and background stating that it was  at the prodding of a fellow countryman. 😉

4 minutes ago, Uncle M said:

@AZJW No personal experience with HD or UHD tubes myself, but I've read in a few places they're not intended for extended highway speeds? Possible failure due to heat buildup? No idea but might be worth some Google time and/or reach out to Motoz?

I've been running HD tubes on the T7 for nearly 13K miles and this is the first issue, but who knows, maybe I'm doing it wrong.  I'll post up here what I learn from MotoZ.

• Like 1

I started using UHD tubes years ago when I was sweep riding for an off-road tour company. I was on a WR450 and being the last man  couldn't afford a puncture. I always ran the tyre pressures as low as 14 - 16psi and used Kenda Carlsbad tyres. In 10 years I didn't have a single flat.

Speeds were lower overall but there was still a fair bit of heat generated in the tyre carcass.

Now I run Motoz Rallz in a 140/80 - 18  and UHD tubes. I will do some long bitumen runs at 120km plus without any issues.

• Like 2

I had the same once on my ktm 950 adv after a day offroading. It was a michelin HD or UHD, cant remember. Mates told that if thick tubes get too hot, they will rip. I stopped using them, also cos they are more difficult to put on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AZJW said:

@AZJWwere you riding on the street or dirt?  How fast were you going? 

Many HD tube failures I have heard about are from overheating when riding fast on the street. For now, I have HD (not UHD) tubes in my off road wheels and standard tubes in my road wheels. 

Edited by Hollybrook