Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

3 hours ago, TNADVRIDER said:

That’s good to know. Just saw that SW MOTECH has theirs on sale at the moment. I’ll probably go ahead and order one. Reviews are good. Do you like yours?

I like my SW Motech Center Stand. I am lowered and it is still about a normal amount pressure to get it up onto it. Good videos on how to install it.  Here is my review. Hope it helps with your decision 

sw-motech-centerstand-review-yamaha-Te%C

SW-Motech Centerstand Review: To simplify maintenance on our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike, we installed and tested a top-notch centerstand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NeilW said:

I like my SW Motech Center Stand. I am lowered and it is still about a normal amount pressure to get it up onto it. Good videos on how to install it.  Here is my review. Hope it helps with your decision 

sw-motech-centerstand-review-yamaha-Te%C

SW-Motech Centerstand Review: To simplify maintenance on our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike, we installed and tested a top-notch centerstand.

Awesome, thanks! I went ahead and ordered one last night  👍 

• Like 1

Tried to install my KEDO footpeg extenders today. Started to loosen the first bolt using the correct torx bit and stripped it out completely...

That will be a trip to the motorycle shop unfortunately.

Anyone else had this problem?

Edited by Chris1974

6 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

Tried to install my KEDO footpeg extenders today. Started to loosen the first bolt using the correct torx bit and stripped it out completely...

Not with footpegs, but with fasteners in general.

Irwin Powergrip Bolt Extractors.  Probably Amazon or your autoparts store.  They work like magic if there's enough head left on the bolt.

• Like 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

20 hours ago, NeilW said:

Looks like you are just getting started with the mods and additions. There is plenty more available 🙂

safe travels and post photos!

Only thing else useful I can think of would be wider foot pegs. But after taking the rubber out of the OEMs, they seem adequate to me.  Don't think I need a rear rack, plus too much extra weight up high.   I know I have a long list, but everything that I've installed is functional or for safety.    Anything specific you were thinking of?

3 minutes ago, Chris1974 said:

100% sure it was the right size?

I'm not sure about the big TX sizes, but the smaller sizes often get confused, since the next smaller number usually seems to work, but will cause problems with higher torques.

If this is not the case, it might be that they used loctite on these screws. When screws are very tight, some taps with a hammer directly onto the screw head have been helpful for me.

6 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

100% sure it was the right size?

I'm not sure about the big TX sizes, but the smaller sizes often get confused, since the next smaller number usually seems to work, but will cause problems with higher torques.

If this is not the case, it might be that they used loctite on these screws. When screws are very tight, some taps with a hammer directly onto the screw head have been helpful for me.

It was the biggest one I had and it seemed to fit, but I will check with my motorcycle shop.

-Edit-

Just checked with my torx socket set... I used a torx 50 and the next size up I have is Torx 55 which is way too big.

Torx 50 was nice and snug.

Edited by Chris1974
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Only thing else useful I can think of would be wider foot pegs. But after taking the rubber out of the OEMs, they seem adequate to me.  Don't think I need a rear rack, plus too much extra weight up high.   I know I have a long list, but everything that I've installed is functional or for safety.    Anything specific you were thinking of?

Your list is impressive. I was being a bit facetious  about more adds and changes.I think the water in the gas thing is awesome. Didn’t know about that one. What are you going to do to keep the bike from being rolled away and locking your helmet  so it doesn’t walk away ? Thanks for sharing and please send updates from the road if you can. 

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

Your list is impressive. I was being a bit facetious  about more adds and changes.I think the water in the gas thing is awesome. Didn’t know about that one. What are you going to do to keep the bike from being rolled away and locking your helmet  so it doesn’t walk away ? Thanks for sharing and please send updates from the road if you can. 

Have a cable lock for the helmet, but I'm rarely away from the bike during the day.   

Here's the link for the fuel filter.      https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/guglatech-yamaha/yamaha-tenere-700-fuel-filter-guglatech-m22006-arm/

Have an ABUS disc lock which is fairly impossible to saw off, but honestly I've only used it a couple times over night on all my trips to Latin America.  There's almost always a safe place to park a bike overnight at a hotel.   The ABUS is actually a lot of weight to be carrying around, even packed low.

Returned the camel skid plate and ordered an HDPE (hard plastic) AXP Racing Xtrem skid plate.  Will add it too my list after I install it with a review.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:50 AM, WingVetteStrom said:

Center stand.   Yamaha.

Moderate install only due to spring install.  Again, using a spring puller really helps.

Recommend.    

I wouldn't recommend it myself, the kick arm is too long in my opinion, could get snagged on branches, and the spring arrangement is tricky.  I fitted the SW motech one and found the installation a breeze.

Just now, winddown said:

I wouldn't recommend it myself, the kick arm is too long in my opinion, could get snagged on branches, and the spring arrangement is tricky.  I fitted the SW motech one and found the installation a breeze.

Thanks for your comment, but it's already installed.  I agree that the kick arm is too long.  The spring attachment was easy using a spring puller.   Oh well.   Now looking for a skid plate.  Have struck out with Camel and AXP racing.  Camel for my description above, AXP racing not compatible with the OEM centerstand.  

1 hour ago, WingVetteStrom said:

I have the Touratech- it is a monster. like 1/4" thick aluminum. Been hit HARD and just dinged it. Slid on it and it didn't bend. It is pricey but very protective. Check with them for compatibility with the OEM center stand. I have the SW Motech. Here is my review 

touratech-rallyeform-skid-plate-skidplat

Touratech RallyeForm Skid Plate Review: We were breaking rocks in the hot sun to test this one-piece aluminum engine protector.

13 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I have the Touratech- it is a monster. like 1/4" thick aluminum. Been hit HARD and just dinged it. Slid on it and it didn't bend. It is pricey but very protective. Check with them for compatibility with the OEM center stand. I have the SW Motech. Here is my review 

touratech-rallyeform-skid-plate-skidplat

Touratech RallyeForm Skid Plate Review: We were breaking rocks in the hot sun to test this one-piece aluminum engine protector.

Looked at Touratech.  But it doesn't have the linkage guard.   Also it says 4mm, so surprised you say it's 1/4" thick.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:48 AM, WingVetteStrom said:

3 minutes ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Looked at Touratech.  But it doesn't have the linkage guard.   Also it says 4mm, so surprised you say it's 1/4" thick.

Ok my bad. Took out the calipers and measured 3/16” 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 10:15 AM, TNADVRIDER said:

probably go ahead and order one. Reviews are good. Do you like yours?

Sure, it's just a stand though, functions like all of them I guess but like I said it easy to install and has a short arm

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 7:42 AM, WingVetteStrom said:

Have a cable lock for the helmet, but I'm rarely away from the bike during the day.   

Here's the link for the fuel filter.      https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/guglatech-yamaha/yamaha-tenere-700-fuel-filter-guglatech-m22006-arm/

Have an ABUS disc lock which is fairly impossible to saw off, but honestly I've only used it a couple times over night on all my trips to Latin America.  There's almost always a safe place to park a bike overnight at a hotel.   The ABUS is actually a lot of weight to be carrying around, even packed low.

Returned the camel skid plate and ordered an HDPE (hard plastic) AXP Racing Xtrem skid plate.  Will add it too my list after I install it with a review.

looking at the Guglatech device, which is an awesome product for water and contamination concerns, I am curious how to handle  an extreme amount of water filling the bag- which will save your bike and tank, but how do you get the bag full of water and crap out of the tank without getting a spill over back into the tank. Lay the bike on its side - in that extreme situation ?

54 minutes ago, NeilW said:

looking at the Guglatech device, which is an awesome product for water and contamination concerns, I am curious how to handle  an extreme amount of water filling the bag- which will save your bike and tank, but how do you get the bag full of water and crap out of the tank without getting a spill over back into the tank. Lay the bike on its side - in that extreme situation ?

Really don't know.   I'd call Best Rest Products.  He's usually pretty good about answering the phone.  I suppose just take the bag out of the tank.   That was easy on my VStrom but maybe a bit more problematic on a Tenere due to the filter design.  Stupid dumb small holes.  I took about 5-10 minutes for me to install the filter bag stuffing it slowly into the large filler cap hole.  

I would think though that even on a very long trip like the ones I take south of the border not that much water would end up in the bag.

Edited by WingVetteStrom
  • Thanks 1

The Crosstourer is finished so i could change the R80 back to the R40.
Had the tools in the right pocket because having the left free for the lunchbox or the little things it get used for as i don't have a car but i switched it around.
When i took my hands of the handlebar it wanted to go to the right. Quite logical as the exhaust is also on the right, it's the lighter MIVV Dakar but now i have the tools on the left it goes in a straight line again.
I knew it was better but besides convenience i also wanted to keep the lunch and little grocery items i might need away from the exhaust too but it's still my offroader so balance wind from convenience.

• Like 1

Upgraded the front and rear suspension with a Teknik spring kit.

The standard springs are for an average weight rider of 70kg.

I'm 100kg and the bike gets a bit out of shape in the rough stuff.

I haven't tried it yet, so looking forward to any improvements.

Rear_spring_T7.jpg.319cc387b382b331d33249a6041dd675.jpg

Edited by Outbacker

And while I had tools in my hands, I replaced the bash protector.

The original was plenty dented just from stones thrown up by the front wheel.

It's a CrossPro from MX Store.

4mm thick plate and very well made.

Fits perfectly to the mounting points.

image.jpeg.9b3f858b5232ae743b4787e59c8cb3d0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, Southcoastbiker said:

Made my own skid plate from fibreglass carbon Kevlar. I used the existing bash plate as a template I had an extension of aluminium to protect the rear shock on the existing aluminium plate. I ground down the rivets and used cardboard and plasticine to get the finished shape.  I then covered the whole lot with wide masking tape, then used wax and my wife’s hairspray as a release. Layed up one layer of biaxial and 2 layers of carbon Kevlar. Next day I released it from the plug and layed up more biaxial and Kevlar on the inside when this was hard I trimmed everything gave the outside a coat of clear epoxy the inside a coat of grey epoxy paint and sprinkled some paint chips. 2 coats of polyurethane to finish.  I had the polyurethane and epoxy paint other than that the cost was less than $100. 

23F2AFB6-A80B-49F3-BF29-544EA140511C.jpeg

A148BE90-F5DF-45CE-BF17-0255712B4114.jpeg

6E69B071-CA2A-46B6-8802-AC8E6D7FBAE0.jpeg

60BEA2BF-BFF3-439C-BF09-43D34853DC93.jpeg

Looks great. A professional job.

• Like 2

Added a new MIVV high mount exhaust-yeah, sounds sweet, lighter, and no more oops!

IMG_20221105_135305.jpg

• Like 4

What's a good replacement rear brake pad, someone mentioned it here a month or two back but the search function is about as useful as these OEM pads.

@winddown CamelADV sells Galfer rear pads. 

• Like 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~