Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@AZJWwere you riding on the street or dirt?  How fast were you going? 

Many HD tube failures I have heard about are from overheating when riding fast on the street. For now, I have HD (not UHD) tubes in my off road wheels and standard tubes in my road wheels. 

I had just completed 50 miles of pavement and the blowout happened at mile 30 of a dirt section, so 80 miles total that day.  Speeds on pavement were "near" legal and dirt section averaged around 40 mph. Temps were in the mid 60's and the bike was unloaded, just me (195 lbs.)  and a hydration pack, so well below max weight.   I'll update this in my thread under the  " Tires and Wheels" sub forum as stuff gets lost under "General Discussion".    I just sent off an email to MotoZ with a cc to the US distributor,  Pacific Powersports, for comment.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Installed the "Fix" brake pedal and while the skid plate was off changed the oil/filter. Brake action improved...had previously changed the rotor and pads. Next up: Install MCS cruise control due to arrive Monday.

• Like 4

Broke down on my way home from work.
Was going at it on my daily commute testing the Rangers properly in daylight and on a paved section the temperature light came on so i stopped immediately.
There was coolant all over the left side including my leg and boot.
Couldn't find a leak and ik looked like something with the reservoir. I waited for him to cool down and hoped i could get home when i was going easy but after a few kilometers he was hot again.
Walked a bit and then stopped to let him cool completely and did some more checks and fount the problem.
When i removed the oil cooler when i thought there was a crack in the housing i probably forgot one clamp clip and a hose came loose.
IMG_20221208_165455.jpg.962a70c593033f66542cf860f6e2b0dc.jpg

IMG_20221208_165751.jpg.606f72f753c4b382dceba3f578353f41.jpg

Just when i had the hose back in place and the clip now in the right place a car stopped to check on me and he offered to get some coolant as i lost about halve.
Discovered i mist something in the toolkit, a very small allen key for the security "bolt" from the radiator cap but i could remove it with the pliers in the multitool.
Thanks to the good Samaritan (i also stop when ik see someone in a strange place) i got back home without finding a tow.

• Like 7

Simple things can bring us unstuck.

My previous was an F8GS. I had put a new front tyre on and headed off for a 3 day ride.

I take the left brake calliper of to make wheel installation easier.

After about an hour into the ride I had a the calliper come adrift and break the hose.

I hadn't tightened the mounting bolts.

I now triple check everything I do.

• Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

Simple things can bring us unstuck.

My previous was an F8GS. I had put a new front tyre on and headed off for a 3 day ride.

I take the left brake calliper of to make wheel installation easier.

After about an hour into the ride I had a the calliper come adrift and break the hose.

I hadn't tightened the mounting bolts.

I now triple check everything I do.

As an aircraft mechanic during all of my career, I taught myself many years ago to stand back after I 'thought' a job was done, and as I looked at every single bolt/nut/line I'd touched I'd say Torqued, Torqued, Torqued.

If I didn't/couldn't distinctly remember torquing a given fastener, out came the Tq wrench again to double check. I do the same for all work on my cars and motorcycles.

• Like 6

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

As an aircraft mechanic during all of my career, I taught myself many years ago to stand back after I 'thought' a job was done, and as I looked at every single bolt/nut/line I'd touched I'd say Torqued, Torqued, Torqued.

If I didn't/couldn't distinctly remember torquing a given fastener, out came the Tq wrench again to double check. I do the same for all work on my cars and motorcycles.

Nice to hear. On a couple of different assignments I would've really preferred to have you wrenching on the fling wings I was driving.  A couple of precautionary landings might not have been if someone had followed your procedure.  

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Nice to hear. On a couple of different assignments I would've really preferred to have you wrenching on the fling wings I was driving.  A couple of precautionary landings might not have been if someone had followed your procedure.  

Didn't realize you had such a background @AZJW!

The last seven years prior to my retirement last year were involved with investigation of both fixed and rotary wing accidents/incidents. Invariably, all of those events with maintenance as a root cause were human error involving complacency, inattention to detail, failure to follow approved procedures, etc. Rather interesting to see how such trends developed and the commonalities between separate events spanning the U.S. 

Sorry to digress and go a bit off topic, but proper maintenance is proper maintenance no matter the end product.

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

Lots of parts added on the new bike, but the two most expensive ones that went on today include a titanium exhaust header and carbon fiber skid plate! Other visible adds include crash bars (ruin looks but save the plastic), center stand, DIY tail tidy, LED signals, rear rack with seat rack, Oxford heated grips, headlight protector, hand guards, adjustable windscreen, high fender and rackless soft luggage (not shown). Parts keep coming in like it's Christmas everyday. Remaining updates include titanium high exhaust with carbon fiber muffler, composite case guards, foot pegs, more aggressive tires, stiffer rear shock spring, etc.  Any other suggestions?

20221208_162919[1].jpg

20221208_152104[1].jpg

20221208_162650[1].jpg

Edited by e010584
added mod

On 8/30/2019 at 9:56 AM, Murska said:

Diy Oxford remote mount.

14719017.jpg

14729819.jpg

Very nice!  I got the same results by simply modifying the mount that comes with it to attach under the mirror, but you've definitely taken it to a new level.

• Moderators

@e010584 How about some closeups of that DIY Tail tidy?

Fitted ProTaper Contour bars with Oxford Heated Grips and a RotoPax for the big hauls.

ACF95063-6CA3-4285-A13E-D452D8B469A4.jpeg

B28BCDD1-416F-4E78-95D5-35EDD2CEBDE7.jpeg

F8980BC4-D697-457E-BC90-30329A9E0521.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DanDoesStunts said:

Fitted ProTaper Contour bars with Oxford Heated Grips and a RotoPax for the big hauls.

ACF95063-6CA3-4285-A13E-D452D8B469A4.jpeg

B28BCDD1-416F-4E78-95D5-35EDD2CEBDE7.jpeg

F8980BC4-D697-457E-BC90-30329A9E0521.jpeg

@DanDoesStuntsGot my grips on the way, did you have to get the Yamaha lead and chop it to connect to the front socket?

Edited by Dougie

Cleaned it and finally took some pictures of my DIY turn signals. They are from Oznium, if anyone wants to do something similar. Three in the front, three in the back and red lights in the lower tag holes connected to the brake light. Anyone that says they didn't see me turning is damn liar, ESPECIALLY at night.

VideoCapture_20221210-235410.jpg

VideoCapture_20221210-235438.jpg

VideoCapture_20221210-235519.jpg

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

@DanDoesStuntsGot my grips on the way, did you have to get the Yamaha lead and chop it to connect to the front socket?

I haven’t completed wiring yet. But I will either getting the correct plug for the socket on the bike or putting a Deutsch plug there instead like I have done for my GPS.

1 hour ago, PNGL said:

Is there any traction left in that tire at all?  LOL.

How's the noise level now?

Edited by DT675

Bought him a pressure washer and used that to wash the coolant soaked mud off from my little mishap last Thursday.
Tomorrow i give him a fresh mud bath when i go home after work.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Is there any traction left in that tire at all?  LOL.

How's the noise level now?

Only on the road. LOL 

It's being replaced by a Tractionator Adventure, when it comes in.

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, PNGL said:

Cleaned it and finally took some pictures of my DIY turn signals. They are from Oznium, if anyone wants to do something similar. Three in the front, three in the back and red lights in the lower tag holes connected to the brake light. Anyone that says they didn't see me turning is damn liar, ESPECIALLY at night.

VideoCapture_20221210-235410.jpg

VideoCapture_20221210-235519.jpg

Nice!

But why did you put the ignition key switch in the exhaust? Doesn't seem very practical to me 🤔

• Haha 1

Crosspro aluminium crash bars 

I’m lead to believe they make AS ones- way to cold to get out there today 

bike lives outside 

67D669D0-2156-47F3-9924-89A9C37E0709.jpeg

8099A30A-E658-4FA1-91FA-8F60F102A29B.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

I also bet AS bars are identical to these ones...

Oil change today, my first self-performed one actually. Did it at 7000 km, mostly because I was bored and thought she would appreciate some care 😂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Crosspro aluminium crash bars 

I’m lead to believe they make AS ones- way to cold to get out there today 

bike lives outside 

67D669D0-2156-47F3-9924-89A9C37E0709.jpeg

Pretty !

• Like 2