Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

2 hours ago, winddown said:

it came with the Australian HEMP map 

So it shows you the quickest route to all the weed stores?  That is a cool GPS. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Camstyn said:

It’s the large.

I’ve since upgraded to the Giant Loop Diablo tank bag, which looks and fits very similar but has the huge advantage of the zipper for quick and easy no-hassle refuelling. The Tusk one is half the price though and a really good value.

I also replaced the rear rackless system with the Kriega OS-Base and 18L bags, it has a much nicer and simpler base design and you can stuff larger items into the bags, as the Tusk ones have a pesky seam  and limits the size of the opening to be fairly small. It’s not all that much more expensive than the Tusk setup but a lot nicer and cleaner without excess straps everywhere, in my opinion. Also much nicer the way it mounts to the bike for a very tight flush fit.

You are indeed the one for me to ask this question then! 

I also have a Tusk large tank bag and I really like it, including all the little compartments on the inside (really just the straps as you know). It works great to sperate all my goodies. 

But I've been considering swapping it for a  waterproof bag of a similar capacity and have narrowed it down to the Giant Loop (the 8L one).   But I'm concerned it seems it's not really water proof but water resistant? Also does it have much for storage speration on the inside? 

24 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I also have a Tusk large tank bag and I really like it, including all the little compartments on the inside (really just the straps as you know). It works great to sperate all my goodies. 

But I've been considering swapping it for a  waterproof bag of a similar capacity and have narrowed it down to the Giant Loop (the 8L one).   But I'm concerned it seems it's not really water proof but water resistant? Also does it have much for storage speration on the inside? 

I couldn’t really answer that for you, as I’m a fair weather rider for the most part. It did come with a waterproof pouch for valuables but it seems waterproof enough to me that I’ve never used it, everything stays dry inside including after washing the bike with the tank bag on. I’ve noticed it will get a little condensation/moisture inside the clear cover but I never use that top compartment anyways.

I can’t remember if the Tusk had any more or less compartments inside.. They seem pretty similar in design from my recollection.

• Like 1

Finally fitted my Oxford hotgrips evo. Did it the same way as @Lewie , surprised it was quite a tidy job considering the amount of cable. All the joints are down on the frame, to the right side. Also cut and soldered an oem harness to avoid butchering too much else. Although in a tight space  with old age eyesight kicking in, I was trying to fit the plug into the back of the spare, sealed up one fitted to the loom, for five minutes. 🙈😂

FD19968A-8130-4E7D-8A94-DAC074746AF5.jpeg.93660e969aacab6d29e554c562700d1c.jpeg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DT675 said:

I sold the Wolfman Blackhawk tankbag I'd used for a year or so on my T7 and replaced it with a Giant Loop Fandango 8 liter bag earlier this year when I installed my Acerbis 23 liter fuel tank. The Giant Loop bag's design has a 'tunnel' on the front middle underside perfect for the raised Acerbis locking fuel cap; not sure if any other tankbag will really work with the Acerbis but the GL is great no matter what tank it's used on.

I had an older style GL Diablo 6 liter bag on my DR650 years ago; loved the bag but didn't like the older GL style that used one zipper on each side to secure the bag to its base. Difficult and continually frustrating to get one zipper re-engaged and zipped up at fuel stops, and obviously GL used that feedback from many users when they designed the current tankbags and base which use a single U-shaped zipper. Now you simply unzip the bag part-way around, flop it to the side of the tank, refuel, flip the bag upright again and re-zip. The unobtrusive base can stay on the tank when the bag isn't used, and I have the bag positioned as far forward as possible so it doesn't bother me at all when up on the pegs in the rough stuff.

I've never used the waterproof 'pod' provided by GL with the bag, but have ridden with my Fandango in the rain numerous times with zero leakage. I believe Giant Loop says the only reason they can't/don't claim the bags are 100% waterproof is because water may penetrate at some of the seam stitches. If I planned to use it as a floatation device I might be concerned, but I believe the bags to be 99.9% waterproof for their intended use on a motorcycle.

To your last question, there is an adjustable partition secured by velcro provided for the bag's interior but I've never used it as I prefer one large storage area. The zippered mesh pocket on the underside of the lid is handy, and the zippered map pocket is large enough to be useful unlike some other tankbags I've used. I keep a small zip-lock bag of earplugs in the rear outer mesh pocket. As seen in the last pic below, there's also a hidden pocket on the underside of the bag (I only remembered when I saw it in the picture, as I keep forgetting it's there).

20220628_134806.jpg.dd353a572a5924c7d3d430339f69e70b.jpg20220628_134852.jpg.8d340e5302c1c33ee45e4dc2319cf422.jpg20220628_134936.jpg.eabc812717f93491a2ce254135ae921c.jpg20220628_135004.jpg.f96a2f052b10130372de2547b5cbb8f2.jpg  

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I sold the Wolfman Blackhawk tankbag I'd used for a year or so on my T7 and replaced it with a Giant Loop Fandango 8 liter bag earlier this year when I installed my Acerbis 23 liter fuel tank. The Giant Loop bag's design has a 'tunnel' on the front middle underside perfect for the raised Acerbis locking fuel cap; not sure if any other tankbag will really work with the Acerbis but the GL is great no matter what tank it's used on.

I had an older style GL Diablo 6 liter bag on my DR650 years ago; loved the bag but didn't like the older GL style that used one zipper on each side to secure the bag to its base. Difficult and continually frustrating to get one zipper re-engaged and zipped up at fuel stops, and obviously GL used that feedback from many users when they designed the current tankbags and base which use a single U-shaped zipper. Now you simply unzip the bag part-way around, flop it to the side of the tank, refuel, flip the bag upright again and re-zip. The unobtrusive base can stay on the tank when the bag isn't used, and I have the bag positioned as far forward as possible so it doesn't bother me at all when up on the pegs in the rough stuff.

I've never used the waterproof 'pod' provided by GL with the bag, but have ridden with my Fandango in the rain numerous times with zero leakage. I believe Giant Loop says the only reason they can't/don't claim the bags are 100% waterproof is because water may penetrate at some of the seam stitches. If I planned to use it as a floatation device I might be concerned, but I believe the bags to be 99.9% waterproof for their intended use on a motorcycle.

To your last question, there is an adjustable partition secured by velcro provided for the bag's interior but I've never used it as I prefer one large storage area. The zippered mesh pocket on the underside of the lid is handy, and the zippered map pocket is large enough to be useful unlike some other tankbags I've used. I keep a small zip-lock bag of earplugs in the rear outer mesh pocket. As seen in the last pic below, there's also a hidden pocket on the underside of the bag (I only remembered when I saw it in the picture, as I keep forgetting it's there).

20220628_134936.jpg.eabc812717f93491a2ce254135ae921c.jpg

@jdub53I believe the only reason GL doesn't say Waterproof is because of the pass through in the front ( in your pix). I have been in torrential downpours and everything stays dry since I am not submerging it. For my standing style I put it in the back as a tailbag with the tall end against my back. GL makes really useful and durable luggage.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dougie said:

Finally fitted my Oxford hotgrips evo. Did it the same way as @Lewie , surprised it was quite a tidy job considering the amount of cable. All the joints are down on the frame, to the right side. Also cut and soldered an oem harness to avoid butchering too much else. Although in a tight space  with old age eyesight kicking in, I was trying to fit the plug into the back of the spare, sealed up one fitted to the loom, for five minutes. 🙈😂

FD19968A-8130-4E7D-8A94-DAC074746AF5.jpeg.93660e969aacab6d29e554c562700d1c.jpeg

Why the EVO series and not the Premium?  Are the grips soft, medium, or hard?  How does the 35mm feel?

Edited by r1superstar

2 hours ago, r1superstar said:

Why the EVO series and not the Premium?  Are the grips soft, medium, or hard?  How does the 35mm feel?

I think the ‘premium’ are a couple of versions back now - I have the ‘advanced’ which I think came next and now they produce the ‘evo’ ….. I think

5 hours ago, r1superstar said:

They just have thermistors/thermostats so go off temperature instead of power. As I said to lewie, it might be bullshit. I wouldn’t have paid the rrrp of £165 fitted, I paid not much more than the advanced I was going to get. I doubt there’s any real difference in reality, change makes money for them. Maybe they’ll fail sooner?  Grips are a good diameter, I really like them. And soft enough with good grip (for me). Temperature is good. Fitting tidy and straightforward ( thanks again to lewies post). 
for ref, the premium have five heat settings, the advanced have nine, the evo has five temperature settings. It wouldn’t bother me which ones I fitted tbh. Just get a good deal. 👍

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lewie said:

I really have to give my wiring a tidy up - 

I wanted it back on the road quick but knew I wouldn’t get round to finishing it if I rushed it for that evening😁. Your method worked well. Chose it after a lot of reading. 
I finally used my flex magnet/claw to fish the cables through. Left grip and control cables came down through the left side, then through a hole behind the headstock to meet up with the right grip cable. There was a gap behind the frame near the loom plug to finish it off. Had to play around with bar movement then before the zip ties came out. Can’t wait to try them out properly now, although it’s 15 degrees warmer this week 🙄 typical. 

Thanks Dougie I’ll look at some point 

But I did get it out today for a spin

8372C530-7DE4-4D59-A849-E916280DA9AF.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

They just have thermistors/thermostats so go off temperature instead of power. As I said to lewie, it might be bullshit. I wouldn’t have paid the rrrp of £165 fitted, I paid not much more than the advanced I was going to get. I doubt there’s any real difference in reality, change makes money for them. Maybe they’ll fail sooner?  Grips are a good diameter, I really like them. And soft enough with good grip (for me). Temperature is good. Fitting tidy and straightforward ( thanks again to lewies post). 
for ref, the premium have five heat settings, the advanced have nine, the evo has five temperature settings. It wouldn’t bother me which ones I fitted tbh. Just get a good deal. 👍

Well, I purchased the Premiums for $77 USD and I hope they are soft.  If not, I'll return them for the Advanced.

• Like 1

Picked up some "minor farkles" at

off-the-road.de ... 😁😁😁

20221220_164303.jpg.4754a4dfbb1c31b830d3edc708a29dad.jpg

Santa knows I've been good this year! But I had to promise not to install them before Christmas.

• Like 8

Recently got my suspension upgraded by @hillsperformancetuning !  It turned out awesome! 🤘🏍. 

Also, my son Gabe helped me add a Camel ADV gut guard skid plate and a SW-Motech centerstand.  They look sharp! 🔥  Then I went out on a quick ride.

9EBB2DF0-B478-45C4-BCD5-4200A8BA3216.jpeg

AA5E6BC3-A228-4D83-AD1D-D19316A3BE86.jpeg

9572C4BC-A5C0-4D51-80ED-0DE175184377.jpeg

C00777F4-ED83-46C5-9F82-7372FD5DF594.jpeg

4E1E6E80-9C2A-42C2-87FF-F7EC53FF6086.jpeg

658B9BB9-3354-4AFF-B54F-A2AC63A33066.jpeg

361F24BF-544C-4E14-9FC1-78DBD2909F1B.jpeg

BF5C1584-5B70-4CE3-860F-798B0AC5B9EE.jpeg

65B2389D-270C-4207-9521-1DB73E55E86C.jpeg

7705DF2A-77F9-4FAC-8B39-6520DC81F359.jpeg

Edited by ngam
  • Like 5

Today, my son and I installed some Black Dog Cycle Works traction footpegs, the black anodized ones !

I also installed the included threaded spikes ( 6 per footpeg ) for added traction when it’s wet, which are removable when not needed and are replaceable.

By design, these pegs are 1/2” lower than stock, which allows more legroom.

45FF2581-DE33-4D16-AF12-645AD3BD24C7.jpeg

DA9764C7-6B64-43A6-A255-F62EC4FC1FF7.jpeg

0E563EC6-CAF6-4408-ADD9-A4D06453DFD6.jpeg

C72B2832-7E66-4E07-898F-E62D7E3682EE.jpeg

Edited by ngam
space out photos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ngam said:

Today, my son and I installed some Black Dog Cycle Works traction footpegs, the black anodized ones !

I also installed the included threaded spikes ( 6 per footpeg ) for added traction when it’s wet, which are removable when not needed and are replaceable.

By design, these pegs are 1/2” lower than stock, which allows more legroom.

45FF2581-DE33-4D16-AF12-645AD3BD24C7.jpeg

@ngam nice work on the foot pegs and beautiful garage floor ( making me jealous). Please share why you chose this particular model and brand over all the others. There are so many to choose from these days.  For instance why didn't you go with the SW Motech 1/2" lowered pegs since yo have the SW Motech Centerstand ( I love mine)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

@NeilWreally I was considering a few different pegs, the IMS Core Enduro and the Altrider ones mainly.  Over Thanksgiving and BlackFriday, I was about to purchase a Mosko tank bag, but decided that some upgraded footpegs would be a better choice, since I never upgraded my pegs on my other bike.  Plus, I thought the Black Dog pegs were the best ones and they looked great too.  Additionally, with the Black Dog pegs, one has the option to use the threaded spikes.

Edited by ngam
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ngam said:
1 hour ago, NeilW said:

@NeilWreally I was considering a few different pegs, the IMS Core Enduro and the Altrider ones mainly.  Over Thanksgiving and BlackFriday, I was about to purchase a Mosko tank bag, but decided that some upgraded footpegs would be a better choice, since I never upgraded my pegs on my other bike.  Plus, I thought the Black Dog Cycle Works pegs were the best ones and they looked great too.  Additionally, with the Black Dog pegs, one has the option to use the threaded spikes.

@ngam thanks for sharing.  Yes they are good looking.  Fyi I have the Mosko Nomax tank bag. Very good in all respects including 2L water bladder. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NeilW said:

@ngam thanks for sharing.  Yes they are good looking.  Fyi I have the Mosko Nomax tank bag. Very good in all respects including 2L water bladder. 

@NeilW Yes, I was about to get the Nomax.  I will probably get it eventually though, but at that time, I was thinking it may be too big and decided on the footpegs.

Edited by ngam
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ngam said:

@ngamjust curious if you are considering The Fix from Camel. I found it to be the most useful of all my mods and adds. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NeilW said:

@ngamjust curious if you are considering The Fix from Camel. I found it to be the most useful of all my mods and adds. 

@NeilWI haven't yet.  I haven't used the rear brake enough to tell if I need it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ngam said:

@NeilW Yes, I was about to get the Nomax.  I will probably get it eventually though, but at that time, I was thinking it may be too big and decided on the footpegs.

YMMV, but I have it, too and never found it too big.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:05 PM, ngam said:

Recently got my suspension upgraded by @hillsperformancetuning !  It turned out awesome! 🤘🏍. 

Also, my son Gabe helped me add a Camel ADV gut guard skid plate and a SW-Motech centerstand.  They look sharp! 🔥  Then I went out on a quick ride.

9EBB2DF0-B478-45C4-BCD5-4200A8BA3216.jpeg

AA5E6BC3-A228-4D83-AD1D-D19316A3BE86.jpeg

9572C4BC-A5C0-4D51-80ED-0DE175184377.jpeg

C00777F4-ED83-46C5-9F82-7372FD5DF594.jpeg

4E1E6E80-9C2A-42C2-87FF-F7EC53FF6086.jpeg

658B9BB9-3354-4AFF-B54F-A2AC63A33066.jpeg

361F24BF-544C-4E14-9FC1-78DBD2909F1B.jpeg

BF5C1584-5B70-4CE3-860F-798B0AC5B9EE.jpeg

65B2389D-270C-4207-9521-1DB73E55E86C.jpeg

7705DF2A-77F9-4FAC-8B39-6520DC81F359.jpeg

Very impressive. Nice. 

• Like 1