Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

I reset the 2nd day counter which i use to see what i ride each year but it only counts till 9999 and then starts at 0 again.
Maybe with the next oil change i reset it to use it for that as i take the odo total anyway.
Ended up with 22221km this year on the T7 and 16098km on the Crosstourer, totals 38319km.

• Like 2

Installed a RSC 2 finger clutch lever, changed the front tire from my street tire to my knobby and adjusted the steering head bearings. 

20221231_143528.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Installed a RSC 2 finger clutch lever, changed the front tire from my street tire to my knobby and adjusted the steering head bearings. 

20221231_143528.jpg

I was lazy, I just cut my clutch lever off. Not as pretty as yours though. Curious what you mean by adjusting the 239D0878-17FE-48E2-B9B4-DBE3E139CBC0.jpeg.b4e1cab498caec5b21cf7b6b16a7f71a.jpegsteering head bearing. 

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I was lazy, I just cut my clutch lever off. Not as pretty as yours though. Curious what you mean by adjusting the 239D0878-17FE-48E2-B9B4-DBE3E139CBC0.jpeg.b4e1cab498caec5b21cf7b6b16a7f71a.jpegsteering head bearing. 

Retorqued them I should have said. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Retorqued them I should have said. 

Yes, many have said theirs have come loose. 

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Mine were. The steering feels a lot better now and it was a fairly simple job. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NeilW said:

Mine did too.  After only around 5k; it was horribly loose.  A couple wobbly bits on the highway at high speed and I tore it apart very quickly thereafter.

Really weird to have them come loose so early, I suspect in the assembly process they're not seated correctly, just torqued to the final (softer) value, not torqued down hard, loosened, and reset as the manual says.  As it's really common for this to happen here (and on virtually no other bikes) I figure there needs to be something funky.  

• Like 1

New crash bars fitted- I know not for everyone but for me really just cosmetic - this is a pavement queen

1338BC7A-C7CF-4953-B923-BD9DE7527B79.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Mine did too.  After only around 5k; it was horribly loose.  A couple wobbly bits on the highway at high speed and I tore it apart very quickly thereafter.

Really weird to have them come loose so early, I suspect in the assembly process they're not seated correctly, just torqued to the final (softer) value, not torqued down hard, loosened, and reset as the manual says.  As it's really common for this to happen here (and on virtually no other bikes) I figure there needs to be something funky.  

I also found my T7's steering head bearings were loose/had no preload when I checked at about 6k miles, and I immediately torqued them properly. Loose/insufficient preload will lead to detented bearing races after repeated roller impacts, and then steering is even more affected.

This damaged outer race is from my DR650's steering head just after I bought the bike used, and the bearings in the used 950 Adv I bought were about as bad.  

SAM_2254.JPG.f4bc2d4a919bcb4d0c8b60d17b906b88.JPG

• Like 1

I think I should check mine again... not sure how much I've ridden since the last check.

• Like 1

I installed the Camel adventure finger and I installed the GB racing protections: I oiled the crankcase, put a silicone seal on the GB to prevent mud from slipping between the two. So it can be easily dismantled. Thank you to google translate

IMG_20230101_183831_(2000_x_1497_pixel).jpg

IMG_20230101_182846_(2000_x_1497_pixel).jpg

10 hours ago, Lewie said:

New crash bars fitted- I know not for everyone but for me really just cosmetic - this is a pavement queen

1338BC7A-C7CF-4953-B923-BD9DE7527B79.jpeg

Interesting as I was very reluctant to install them because they don't enhance the looks of the T7 at all IMHO, but I figured 0ne good drop off road would destroy the plastics which ironically cost more than the crash bars.  I'm even inclined to take mine off for less serious off road rides, leaving the forward bracket in place on mine (Hepco and Becker).  Still got a set of lowers for sale that I won't install, opting instead for FRP case covers.

3 hours ago, Denis B. said:
I installed the Camel adventure finger and I installed the GB racing protections: I oiled the crankcase, put a silicone seal on the GB to prevent mud from slipping between the two. So it can be easily dismantled. Thank you to google translate

I installed the same case savers, but didn't think to silicone them.  I may have to "re-install" them with silicone sealant.

Thank you for sharing.  I am using the middle hole on the Camel Adv one finger clutch also. I am curious if you tried the other holes and why you chose the center hole. 

"Oiled the crankcase"?

24 minutes ago, e010584 said:

Interesting as I was very reluctant to install them because they don't enhance the looks of the T7 at all IMHO, but I figured 0ne good drop off road would destroy the plastics which ironically cost more than the crash bars.  I'm even inclined to take mine off for less serious off road rides, leaving the forward bracket in place on mine (Hepco and Becker).  Still got a set of lowers for sale that I won't install, opting instead for FRP case covers.

I drop my too much. Less now that I am doing scenic forest roads - ….but there are those occasional “shortcuts” that turn nasty. Keeping mine on and mounting stuff to them. 360 camera, drink holder, Cyclops lights …

16 minutes ago, kainic said:

"Oiled the crankcase"?

Using google translate. Probably changed the oil. 

28 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I drop my too much. Less now that I am doing scenic forest roads - ….but there are those occasional “shortcuts” that turn nasty. Keeping mine on and mounting stuff to them. 360 camera, drink holder, Cyclops lights …

On my first technical ride without crash bars, my buddy dropped his brand new Tuareg hard resulting in no damage to his plastics due to H&B crash bars, so I reluctantly bought and installed some on mine.  Still opted for the FRP case covers over the lower crash bars.

100% crash bars for me.  Full front and rear, even.  I go full send in terrain I have no business attempting way too often.   I mean, even my rear Heed bars have a pretty substantial amount of wear at this point.  

Fortunately I feel crash bars look pretty damn good on an adventure bike anyways, but I run them regardless.  Sure, there's more weight, but I think the likelihood that I drop a bike *because* of that specific bit of weight is pretty darn low.  And I really like having small bags on the crash bars for small things that I want to keep on the bike and have ready access to. 

qq.jpg.37f018623ef5a3e49000842120d457b1.jpg$20 bags!

This bike has seen probably 10 crashes now, 50% on pavement (when screwing around and stunting in the snow) but the only damage to stock components is the stock muffler and a scratch on the swingarm *from* the stock muffler. That was two right side getoffs on my first ADV ride before being swapped for the Huzar.   Oh, and the handguards are pretty scratched too. 

• Like 3

Oil and filter change.

Camel "Fix" and One finger clutch installed.

Air filter tomorrow ( got to 36° in the shed today )

Ready for 600km ride on Thursday

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

48 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

Oil and filter change.

Camel "Fix" and One finger clutch installed.

Air filter tomorrow ( got to 36° in the shed today )

Ready for 600km ride on Thursday

Which slot did you put the one finger clutch lever on?  I am middle. I liked the longer friction zone - but not too long like slot one. 

oiled the crankcase so that the silicone does not stick if you want to put the bike back in its original configuration. Depending on the quality of the silicone it may be impossible to clean.

• Like 1

I took the center hole from the clutch slip point. the clutch lever is already more flexible than my ktm 250 exc!
And I remember that it is advised by Camel Adventure. Youtube video

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NeilW said:

Which slot did you put the one finger clutch lever on?  I am middle. I liked the longer friction zone - but not too long like slot one. 

Only one hole in mine as it is for the OEM crash bar

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.