Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Out with the old and in with the new. With a 320mm single caliper conversion done it was time for this to go.

20230117_123116.jpg.3ca2004961882337636ac70b127b0865.jpg

New Master cylinder off of a YZ450 and added a  hydraulic  brake switch since this MC doesn't have a microswitch.

20230117_200259.jpg.38a2f52aa7699edd46e477211d58dc28.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NeilW said:

Wow, that isn't good at all. Sorry.  I did find when installing mine, and speaking with their Oregon office tech, that the tolerances of Yamaha assembly require that we fit all bolts loosely and then cinch them up.  But you have a different issue.  What is your next choice?

I did the same thing.  It didn't help at all.  One the first set, I had to muscle the left upper into place.  This is what was pulling the entire upper assy along with the bracket attached to the mainstay to the left.

12 hours ago, Windblown said:

Out with the old and in with the new. With a 320mm single caliper conversion done it was time for this to go.

20230117_123116.jpg.3ca2004961882337636ac70b127b0865.jpg

New Master cylinder off of a YZ450 and added a  hydraulic  brake switch since this MC doesn't have a microswitch.

20230117_200259.jpg.38a2f52aa7699edd46e477211d58dc28.jpg

What do you think of the new MC? I've also considered swapping mine. 

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

49 minutes ago, Black Dog Moto said:

What do you think of the new MC? I've also considered swapping mine. 

Took it for a quick test ride after work. Much better braking power than trying to use the stock MC with a single caliper as I would expect.  It is a little spongy though so I need to try to bleed it again to clean it up. It may be slightly small for the job and therefore contributing to the spongy feel.  I won't know for sure until I re-bleed it. 

I dug around a little to see what size bore it had online and didn't stumble across anything listing the size. I should have not been lazy and took it apart and measured. If bleeding doesn't clean it up and it bugs me too much I'll pull it apart and measure what it is so that I can shop around for something just a little bigger to tighten up lever movement. 

1 hour ago, Windblown said:

Took it for a quick test ride after work. Much better braking power than trying to use the stock MC with a single caliper as I would expect.  It is a little spongy though so I need to try to bleed it again to clean it up. It may be slightly small for the job and therefore contributing to the spongy feel.  I won't know for sure until I re-bleed it. 

I dug around a little to see what size bore it had online and didn't stumble across anything listing the size. I should have not been lazy and took it apart and measured. If bleeding doesn't clean it up and it bugs me too much I'll pull it apart and measure what it is so that I can shop around for something just a little bigger to tighten up lever movement. 

Use a zip tie and clamp the lever back to the grip overnight.

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

1 hour ago, Black Dog Moto said:

Use a zip tie and clamp the lever back to the grip overnight.

BTDT, exercised the Calipers, etc. There's  plenty of bite but  still a bit mushy.   I'll give it a good offroadish run then attack it one more time. It could still be an air bubble that keeping it under pressure overnight didn't get but I'm starting to suspect the MC may be just a touch small. I've got a 690 MC laying around that as I recall has a 13mm bore but I'd have to get a hose with a 90 on the end from Galfer to use it.  I'll probably stop by a buddies place on Thursday and see what he has laying on the shelves if I decide I want a firmer lever than I can get with what I've got. I'm thinking the Yamaha 450 MC is likely an 11mm bore. 13mm might be the ticket. Time will tell. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 5:57 AM, jdub53 said:

My experience using all the above over many years of riding/commuting on a variety of bikes:

1. My Gerbing heated gloves are the most effective at keeping my hands warm in the coldest temperatures, but their cons are A) they're thick/bulky which I dislike due to reduced control feel B) putting them on/off takes extra time and effort to run the connection wires out of the jacket sleeve cuffs and then stowing the wires inside the cuffs while pulling on the gloves.

2. I have two types of handlebar muffs; full Hippo Hands and 3/4 mitts from OBR ADV Gear. Both types go on/off easily and quickly, and can be easily removed and strapped on the seat behind me when the temps rise sufficiently. Note that all my experience with both involves the simultaneous use of heated grips.

A) Unsurprisingly the Hippo Hands provide excellent coverage and warmth from both wind and rain, but because they obscure all the controls you need to remember exactly where everything is if you need to fiddle with settings like traction control, ABS, electronic suspension, etc. (not an issue on the T7 of course). Also, because the opening is relatively small it can present a hazard if a hand is out (like opening/closing a face shield) and you need to get it back on the grip in a hurry. This was an issue several times during my hour-long commute in the dark where I had to find the opening purely by feel. 

20211219_070725.jpg.6eab7f1953cc8decd6b77bdb238ab3cd.jpg

B) The 3/4 mitts fix all of the full muff downsides and for me still provide about 3/4 of their effectiveness. Hands are quick on/off, control buttons are visible, good protection from wind and rain.  I did one 400 mile day on my old R1200GS using these and the OEM heated grips and stayed comfy with medium weight gloves in 30s F temps during most of the ride.  OBR ADV Gear Enduro Grip Mitts.

20211219_070736.jpg.7af8964d703c587009cd6ff8f555d7d0.jpg

3. Heated grips are obviously the most convenient as they are unobtrusive and are on the bike and ready for use at any time. If a bike I buy doesn't already have them, heated grips are one of the first modifications I make.  Turned on to the low setting in low 60s F they keep me comfy even with light gloves and my heated jacket liner off.  On the high setting with medium to thicker gloves they work pretty well for me into the low 40s for up to an hour or so, but at colder temps and/or longer rides my hands need more than just heated grips to keep from going numb even with my heated jacket liner full on.

I run Oxfords on my T7, but, another option I run on my snow bike are coolant heated handlebars from C3 Motorsports with 3/4 bar muffs. Just spent 4 days riding in the mountains at -5C in motocross gloves all day. They work AWESOME and obviously have more than enough heat as they CAN run at engine temp. They have a little ball valve to regulate coolant flow and hence heat.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 1/16/2023 at 1:02 PM, NeilW said:

@TéNéRéLOADEDHow do the handlebar muffs work verses electric heated gloves and grip heat?  Have you had any experience with electric gear?

As with @Hollybrook and @jdub53, the open grip muffs work 90% as well but don't cause issues accessing controls.  You don't use them instead of grip heat, though - I mean, you *can*, but my experience is that the best results is ditching the heated gloves unless it's profoundly cold and just running heated grips.  Normally, the problem just with heated grips is that the wind freezes the outside of your hands faster than the grips can warm through, so you end up with the outer 50% of your hands freezing.  All you need to prevent that is sufficient coverage to create a dead air space inside, and heated grips + average ordinary riding gloves (ideally waterproof ones; less air movement) and you're good till well below freezing. 

I personally strongly dislike the big fully enclosed ones, as they tend to block quick access to controls if you need to take your hands off the bars momentarily.

Barkbuster Blizzards are great, I run a set of OBR ADV 3/4 grip mitts which are largely identical.  That $80 was one of the best purchases I've made from comfortable cold weather riding.  But I want to highlight: not just in extreme cold, but for riding on cool, wet spring/autumn days.   Taking a road trip where it's likely to be ~5-10C and rainy?  No amount of waterproofing on your gloves is really going to keep your hands warm and dry.  

When I did my October ride back to the coast over the Rockies in 2021, it alternatively poured rain and snowed.  Riding for 8 hours in the rain, with just heated grips on low and the grip mitts my hands stayed completely warm and dry.  STRONG recommendation if you're riding in cold, or just cool and wet.  What's more, they go on/off the bike in like 30 seconds, so they're easy to stuff in a bag and have just in case too.  

image.jpeg.1436e54bb6439d9c31f82a4afc9814e5.jpeg

Tested for riding in stupid cold every day, they never disappoint. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Canzvt said:

I run Oxfords on my T7, but, another option I run on my snow bike are coolant heated handlebars from C3 Motorsports with 3/4 bar muffs. Just spent 4 days riding in the mountains at -5C in motocross gloves all day. They work AWESOME and obviously have more than enough heat as they CAN run at engine temp. They have a little ball valve to regulate coolant flow and hence heat.

Huh, I've never heard of this.  That's fascinating, but pretty damn extreme.  

• Moderators

@jdub53 Regarding the OBR ADV Gear Enduro Grip Mitts, are you using those over your HDB handguards?  Looks like the hot setup, but since I use their fold out mirrors,  I'd need to put my oem mirrors back on for winter riding.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Didn't know where to place this one, but I think is a nice spot this thread, as several are watching it.

Check the "Tenere Spirit Experience":

MBSM-Yamaha-Tenere-Spirit-Experience-Ima

Pilote débutant ou expérimenté, avec la Ténéré Spirit Expérience, vivez l'aventure inoubliable du Rallye-raid au cœur d’un team officiel.

In a few words you get support from Yamaha to send your motorcycle on the event and have their mechanical support and support in general.
Print screen from the brochure I received:

1850213347_TenereSpiritprices.JPG.886906ae205f870f9f024220088a7ca2.JPG

Edited by disco2000
added page from brochure

11 hours ago, AZJW said:

@jdub53 Regarding the OBR ADV Gear Enduro Grip Mitts, are you using those over your HDB handguards?  Looks like the hot setup, but since I use their fold out mirrors,  I'd need to put my oem mirrors back on for winter riding.

Excellent question. I used the OBR ADV mitts on the T7 with BarkBusters and OEM mirrors, and only installed the HDB guards with their fold-out mirrors a few months ago. I haven't yet ridden the T7 with the HDB set-up in temps cold enough to require mitts (the new-to-me RT is getting all of that duty so far and doing an excellent job of it), but exactly as you stated I'll have to re-install the T7's OEM mirrors if/when I use the mitts on it now. I'd actually considered that issue with the HBD mirrors before buying them, and after installation quickly decided that'll be a very small inconvenience for how well I like the complete HDB set-up.  

• Thanks 1

Received a care package from down under today and got one of the Funnelweb prefilters installed.

20230120_151407.jpg.2bf69c99ce0a8880f279869b33519eff.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Funnelweb prefilters

Amazon.com : Chia Pet Hedgehog Decorative Pottery Planter with Seed Pack,  Decorative Pottery Planter, Easy to Do and Fun to Grow, Novelty Gift,  Perfect for Any Occasion : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 hours ago, Windblown said:

Received a care package from down under today and got one of the Funnelweb prefilters installed.

20230120_151407.jpg.2bf69c99ce0a8880f279869b33519eff.jpg

Got surface area? This looks the business but I did laugh out loud when I first saw it. The Chia Pet reference above is on point. All the same, can you link to the product? I might put googly eyes on mine just for fun 🙂

Cheers!

38 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

Got surface area? This looks the business but I did laugh out loud when I first saw it. The Chia Pet reference above is on point. All the same, can you link to the product? I might put googly eyes on mine just for fun 🙂

Cheers!

Sure thing! Here's the manufacturers site. I only bought pre-filters as I already have a Guglatech main filter. Fit on the pre-filter is slightly loose which is fine by me. I prefer the large initial surface area and if a little dirt gets past it that's fine. Just looking to reduce the times I have to dive in and pull them main filter, not looking to eliminate it's job completely. 🙂

https://www.funnelwebfilter.com.au/product-category/yamaha/tenere-700/

I tied to order from the manufacturers site but it didn't like my address in the states.  I found Andys Strapz carries them as welll and have ordered other stuff from them in the past so ordered from their site here: 

https://www.andystrapz.com/product/fwf

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Amazon.com : Chia Pet Hedgehog Decorative Pottery Planter with Seed Pack,  Decorative Pottery Planter, Easy to Do and Fun to Grow, Novelty Gift,  Perfect for Any Occasion : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Hahaha.  Damn it.... Since the base filter color is yellow I might have to switch to Red Rock oil from the Belray Blue I normally use to get rid of the green Chia Pet color cause now that's gonna bug me. LOL.

I dunno though, the red oil & yellow filter will make it orange and that might piss off the KTM it sits next to. 

Edited by Windblown

3 hours ago, john_aero said:

Just picked her up today 

its so clean and shiny

72ECAA24-9212-4C1C-9CD0-8318B7DD343F.jpeg

1C142D34-F7AC-4DEA-A763-8FBA337426F4.jpeg

I’m loving the old girls around the back of that showroom. 👍

3 hours ago, john_aero said:

Just picked her up today 

its so clean and shiny

72ECAA24-9212-4C1C-9CD0-8318B7DD343F.jpeg

1C142D34-F7AC-4DEA-A763-8FBA337426F4.jpeg

It looks like it must have already broken down to be in a trailer. It should still be under warranty and everyone here is helpful to get you back in the saddle. 
There is a ton of information here and in the brain trust. You will enjoy the discovery and the  motorcycle. 

5 minutes ago, NeilW said:

It looks like it must have already broken down to be in a trailer. It should still be under warranty and everyone here is helpful to get you back in the saddle. 
There is a ton of information here and in the brain trust. You will enjoy the discovery and the  motorcycle. 

ha no I had no one to drop me to dealer so it’s was a trailer home job for me

12 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I’m loving the old girls around the back of that showroom. 👍

he has some lovely bikes up on a shelf for display

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:59 PM, NeilW said:

Wow, that isn't good at all. Sorry.  I did find when installing mine, and speaking with their Oregon office tech, that the tolerances of Yamaha assembly require that we fit all bolts loosely and then cinch them up.  But you have a different issue.  What is your next choice?

I have the uppers and lowers mounted.  Fit was ok, but the finish was very poor - cut marks visible etc.  It works fine though.

What gets to me is that SW motech blames yamaha for the poor fit.  Their standards have fallen a lot.

6 hours ago, john_aero said:

ha no I had no one to drop me to dealer so it’s was a trailer home job for me

Bummer first ride had to wait but there will be 1000’s soon enough. Hope you left some money in the piggy bank for all the cool additions you will want. 

On 1/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, Boondocker said:

Cheers!

Don't laugh; they work.

I pulled mine out the other day. A bit of grit and dust but nothing got through to the main filter

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.