Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

2 hours ago, Windblown said:

But it is an easy 6-7 lbs to get rid of

And it's unsprung weight.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ngam said:

How did the install on the Oxford heated grips go?  I’m about to put some on.  I realized I needed a 12 mm allen, I think, to remove to stock bar end weights.

It went pretty smooth.  I have a lot of tools, so luckily, I had the 12mm allen wrench.  I also have the air attachment on my air compressor to blow up and off the OEM grips.

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:54 PM, Bergtinn said:

I have been thinking about ordering these racks until i saw this post just now. Have you been using them since this post, @ImpatientSteve? How are they holding up? I have been e-mailing with him and he says they are making better quality ones now.

@BergtinnI actually used them this summer on a trip to Slovenia and Bosnia and they hold up pretty good. The only thing what happens if you fall they might slightly bent as they are not as strong as the steel tubing ones. But on this trip even my crashbars bent because of some of the rocky sections so I guess it's a relative to how hard you abuse them but overall they are fine for me.  

5 hours ago, ImpatientSteve said:

@BergtinnI actually used them this summer on a trip to Slovenia and Bosnia and they hold up pretty good. The only thing what happens if you fall they might slightly bent as they are not as strong as the steel tubing ones. But on this trip even my crashbars bent because of some of the rocky sections so I guess it's a relative to how hard you abuse them but overall they are fine for me.  

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order the side racks

Most recently I putted on

- Handle Bar Muffs (only for a couple of weeks I hope) from Oxford

- Cockpit Stabilizer, Adaptorplate Garmin M4 and the Nav Mount from Donner Tech

- LED-Indicators from Sonic (X2)

- Saddle bags from Enduristan

- Folding Clutch and Brake Levers from Puig (only because a month ago I crashed the new bike and the clutch lever half an hour into the maiden ride home)

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

9 hours ago, NeilW said:

@TéNéRéLOADEDHow do the handlebar muffs work verses electric heated gloves and grip heat?  Have you had any experience with electric gear?

No, sorry, I don't have any experience with electric heating gear.

To just ride some kilometers in low temperatures the muffs work somehow well for me. Just because they take away every wind chill. They work well when in combination with mitten gloves. But the latter are not convinient at all with the switches at instruments. Speaking of which—the muffs cover it and to operate them is a little tricky. It's a very tight fit in the muffs. Because the muffs didn't fit so well that I had to cut holes for the mirrors. Resumed: Muffs are kind of a "solution", they make the bike look like grandma's rollator. So summer is way better …

But I think cold is very different for everyone. I'm cold very fast at the fingers and I didn't ride under zero °C yet. So maybe I'm not the best standard … 

17 minutes ago, TéNéRéLOADED said:

No, sorry, I don't have any experience with electric heating gear.

To just ride some kilometers in low temperatures the muffs work somehow well for me. Just because they take away every wind chill. They work well when in combination with mitten gloves. But the latter are not convinient at all with the switches at instruments. Speaking of which—the muffs cover it and to operate them is a little tricky. It's a very tight fit in the muffs. Because the muffs didn't fit so well that I had to cut holes for the mirrors. Resumed: Muffs are kind of a "solution", they make the bike look like grandma's rollator. So summer is way better …

But I think cold is very different for everyone. I'm cold very fast at the fingers and I didn't ride under zero °C yet. So maybe I'm not the best standard … 

@TéNéRéLOADEDno need to torture yourself, riding is supposed to be fun. I have heated grips and heated gloves and a few months ago I spent about 90 minutes at -2C at 45-70 mph. It was not fun but didn’t hurt either. I was more worried that if my bike broke down I would freeze to death as I didn’t have enough clothing to stay warm without electricity. But  it all kept working and I survived:-) once it warmed up to 3.9C life was good for the rest of the day….

Edited by NeilW

17 hours ago, NeilW said:

@TéNéRéLOADEDHow do the handlebar muffs work verses electric heated gloves and grip heat?  Have you had any experience with electric gear?

My experience using all the above over many years of riding/commuting on a variety of bikes:

1. My Gerbing heated gloves are the most effective at keeping my hands warm in the coldest temperatures, but their cons are A) they're thick/bulky which I dislike due to reduced control feel B) putting them on/off takes extra time and effort to run the connection wires out of the jacket sleeve cuffs and then stowing the wires inside the cuffs while pulling on the gloves.

2. I have two types of handlebar muffs; full Hippo Hands and 3/4 mitts from OBR ADV Gear. Both types go on/off easily and quickly, and can be easily removed and strapped on the seat behind me when the temps rise sufficiently. Note that all my experience with both involves the simultaneous use of heated grips.

A) Unsurprisingly the Hippo Hands provide excellent coverage and warmth from both wind and rain, but because they obscure all the controls you need to remember exactly where everything is if you need to fiddle with settings like traction control, ABS, electronic suspension, etc. (not an issue on the T7 of course). Also, because the opening is relatively small it can present a hazard if a hand is out (like opening/closing a face shield) and you need to get it back on the grip in a hurry. This was an issue several times during my hour-long commute in the dark where I had to find the opening purely by feel. 

20211219_070725.jpg.6eab7f1953cc8decd6b77bdb238ab3cd.jpg

B) The 3/4 mitts fix all of the full muff downsides and for me still provide about 3/4 of their effectiveness. Hands are quick on/off, control buttons are visible, good protection from wind and rain.  I did one 400 mile day on my old R1200GS using these and the OEM heated grips and stayed comfy with medium weight gloves in 30s F temps during most of the ride.  OBR ADV Gear Enduro Grip Mitts.

20211219_070736.jpg.7af8964d703c587009cd6ff8f555d7d0.jpg

3. Heated grips are obviously the most convenient as they are unobtrusive and are on the bike and ready for use at any time. If a bike I buy doesn't already have them, heated grips are one of the first modifications I make.  Turned on to the low setting in low 60s F they keep me comfy even with light gloves and my heated jacket liner off.  On the high setting with medium to thicker gloves they work pretty well for me into the low 40s for up to an hour or so, but at colder temps and/or longer rides my hands need more than just heated grips to keep from going numb even with my heated jacket liner full on.

Edited by jdub53
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

My experience using all the above over many years of riding/commuting on a variety of bikes:

1. My Gerbing heated gloves are the most effective at keeping my hands warm in the coldest temperatures, but their cons are A) they're thick/bulky which I dislike due to reduced control feel B) putting them on/off takes extra time and effort to run the connection wires out of the jacket sleeve cuffs and then stowing the wires inside the cuffs while pulling on the gloves.

2. I have two types of handlebar muffs; full Hippo Hands and 3/4 mitts from OBR ADV Gear. Both types go on/off easily and quickly, and can be easily removed and strapped on the seat behind me when the temps rise sufficiently. Note that all my experience with both involves the simultaneous use of heated grips.

A) Unsurprisingly the Hippo Hands provide excellent coverage and warmth from both wind and rain, but because they obscure all the controls you need to remember exactly where everything is if you need to fiddle with settings like traction control, ABS, electronic suspension, etc. (not an issue on the T7 of course). Also, because the opening is relatively small it can present a hazard if a hand is out (like opening/closing a face shield) and you need to get it back on the grip in a hurry. This was an issue several times during my hour-long commute in the dark where I had to find the opening purely by feel. 

20211219_070725.jpg.6eab7f1953cc8decd6b77bdb238ab3cd.jpg

B) The 3/4 mittss fix all of the full muff downsides and for me still provide about 3/4 of their effectiveness. Hands are quick on/off, control buttons are visible, good protection from wind and rain.  I did one 400 mile day on my old R1200GS using these and the OEM heated grips and stayed comfy with medium weight gloves in 30s F temps during most of the ride.  OBR ADV Gear Enduro Grip Mitts.

20211219_070736.jpg.7af8964d703c587009cd6ff8f555d7d0.jpg

3. Heated grips are obviously the most convenient as they are unobtrusive and are on the bike and ready for use at any time. If a bike I buy doesn't already have them, heated grips are one of the first modifications I make.  Turned on to the low setting in low 60s F they keep me comfy even with light gloves and my jacket liner off.  On the high setting with medium to thicker gloves they work pretty well for me into the low 40s for up to an hour or so, but at colder temps and/or longer rides my hands need more than just heated grips to keep from going numb.

Thanks for the in-depth comparison.

My fingers get cold very easily, even thick gloves don't work for more than 20 minutes for me. I skipped heated grips (they don't heat the outside of my hands) and bought Macna heated gloves. Not too expensive (compared to other heated gloves), and heated on BOTH sides.

I'll test them on the bike finally today or tomorrow (had some issues with a weak battery, now they've replaced it). I'm running them with internal LiPo batteries, but they can be wired to the bike or a Macna jacket.

• Like 1

Another option for better wind protection is Barkbuster Blizzards that replace the plastic guards on Barkbusters.  They block almost all the wind, hold their shape at high speeds and work well with the stock mirrors.  With heated grips I have taken a number of 30 minute rides at 25°F and my hands remained warm with summer waterproof gloves. 20230117_092823.jpg.517db42f03ffede4643b9ad9d1b3ddb4.jpg

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Thanks for the in-depth comparison.

My fingers get cold very easily, even thick gloves don't work for more than 20 minutes for me. I skipped heated grips (they don't heat the outside of my hands) and bought Macna heated gloves. Not too expensive (compared to other heated gloves), and heated on BOTH sides.

I'll test them on the bike finally today or tomorrow (had some issues with a weak battery, now they've replaced it). I'm running them with internal LiPo batteries, but they can be wired to the bike or a Macna jacket.

You would be surprised what high heating your grips will do for the rest of your hands. I went with the below -currently $24 on Amazon. The are wraps so you don't change your grips. Just put them on when you need them and take off when you don't. 

A local T7 owner told me about them and for $24 it was worth a try. They really work. I have them power attached to my Healtech Thunderbox so I never have to worry about leaving them ON by accident.

KEMIMOTO Heated Motorcycle Grip Cover Pad Universal Waterproof, Electronic ATV 12V Motorcycle Hand Grip Heater Warm HOT with Three Gear Temperature Adjustable on Amazon.

• Like 2

I removed the SW Motech upper and lower bars.  Sent them back.  I will post up when the replacement brand is installed.  Stay tuned...

10 minutes ago, r1superstar said:

I removed the SW Motech upper and lower bars.  Sent them back.  I will post up when the replacement brand is installed.  Stay tuned...

@r1superstar why did you take off the SW Motech's.  I crashed hard on them and they didn't budge.

1 hour ago, Dirtbandit said:

Perfect, thanks for the reply 

I realized maybe you wanted to also know which Fender, it's the Acerbis Supermoto that Camel lists in there Kit description. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

@r1superstar why did you take off the SW Motech's.  I crashed hard on them and they didn't budge.

On all four uppers that I installed; the tabs that are welded to the uppers that attach to the mainstay were welded on either crooked or not on the same plane.  The upper bars did not sit evenly and pulled to one side putting stress on the mainstay brackets.  Not what I would expect for bars that are on the upper range of pricing.  The peeps at SW Motech were very accommodating with my issues.  Client Services were top notch!

20230109_191421.jpg

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

Just now, r1superstar said:

On all four uppers that I installed; the tabs that are welded to the uppers that attach to the mainstay were welded on either crooked or not on the same plane.  The upper bars did not sit evenly and pulled to one side putting stress on the mainstay brackets.  Not what I would expect for bars that are on the upper range of pricing.

20230109_191421.jpg

Wow, that isn't good at all. Sorry.  I did find when installing mine, and speaking with their Oregon office tech, that the tolerances of Yamaha assembly require that we fit all bolts loosely and then cinch them up.  But you have a different issue.  What is your next choice?