Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

17 hours ago, ngam said:

Today, my son and I installed some Black Dog Cycle Works traction footpegs, the black anodized ones !

I also installed the included threaded spikes ( 6 per footpeg ) for added traction when it’s wet, which are removable when not needed and are replaceable.

By design, these pegs are 1/2” lower than stock, which allows more legroom.

45FF2581-DE33-4D16-AF12-645AD3BD24C7.jpeg

DA9764C7-6B64-43A6-A255-F62EC4FC1FF7.jpeg

0E563EC6-CAF6-4408-ADD9-A4D06453DFD6.jpeg

C72B2832-7E66-4E07-898F-E62D7E3682EE.jpeg

I have Altrider on my T7 and the BD on another bike.  Both equally great pegs!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, jdub53 said:

I sold the Wolfman Blackhawk tankbag I'd used for a year or so on my T7 and replaced it with a Giant Loop Fandango 8 liter bag earlier this year when I installed my Acerbis 23 liter fuel tank. The Giant Loop bag's design has a 'tunnel' on the front middle underside perfect for the raised Acerbis locking fuel cap; not sure if any other tankbag will really work with the Acerbis but the GL is great no matter what tank it's used on.

I had an older style GL Diablo 6 liter bag on my DR650 years ago; loved the bag but didn't like the older GL style that used one zipper on each side to secure the bag to its base. Difficult and continually frustrating to get one zipper re-engaged and zipped up at fuel stops, and obviously GL used that feedback from many users when they designed the current tankbags and base which use a single U-shaped zipper. Now you simply unzip the bag part-way around, flop it to the side of the tank, refuel, flip the bag upright again and re-zip. The unobtrusive base can stay on the tank when the bag isn't used, and I have the bag positioned as far forward as possible so it doesn't bother me at all when up on the pegs in the rough stuff.

I've never used the waterproof 'pod' provided by GL with the bag, but have ridden with my Fandango in the rain numerous times with zero leakage. I believe Giant Loop says the only reason they can't/don't claim the bags are 100% waterproof is because water may penetrate at some of the seam stitches. If I planned to use it as a floatation device I might be concerned, but I believe the bags to be 99.9% waterproof for their intended use on a motorcycle.

To your last question, there is an adjustable partition secured by velcro provided for the bag's interior but I've never used it as I prefer one large storage area. The zippered mesh pocket on the underside of the lid is handy, and the zippered map pocket is large enough to be useful unlike some other tankbags I've used. I keep a small zip-lock bag of earplugs in the rear outer mesh pocket. As seen in the last pic below, there's also a hidden pocket on the underside of the bag (I only remembered when I saw it in the picture, as I keep forgetting it's there).

20220628_134806.jpg.dd353a572a5924c7d3d430339f69e70b.jpg20220628_134852.jpg.8d340e5302c1c33ee45e4dc2319cf422.jpg20220628_134936.jpg.eabc812717f93491a2ce254135ae921c.jpg20220628_135004.jpg.f96a2f052b10130372de2547b5cbb8f2.jpg  

Thanks alot! You covered my concerns very well.  It looks good and like a perfect fit just like the Tusk 8L.  Any integrity concerns for the long run?  Looks like you might have some creases in the front that could cause future water proofing issues?

18 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Thanks alot! You covered my concerns very well.  It looks good and like a perfect fit just like the Tusk 8L.  Any integrity concerns for the long run?  Looks like you might have some creases in the front that could cause future water proofing issues?

I didn't notice anything on the front of the tankbag until you mentioned it. Just pulled it out of the closet for a closer look, and those are actually just small shiny lines on the material that look a bit like cuts or slits in the pic. No idea what caused them and the bag may have been delivered that way, but I'm not concerned as the material isn't damaged in any way.

The only long-term issue I've seen is the GL base marring the tank's surface when dust/dirt settles there and the base isn't removed often for cleaning. The base stays on my Acerbis tank most of the time even when I'm not using the tankbag, and the plastic did have rub marks several places when I removed the base once to wash the bike. It didn't bother me at all, but if I were using this on the stock tank I'd definitely want to fit a paint protection film before installing the base. I have no long-term concerns about tankbag durability or usage.     

On 12/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, DT675 said:

Sorry, I meant that I haven't found one that I want that I think is better suited for me.

Have you tried the newer Heidenau K60 Scout?  It's conceptually the same - the two tires are direct competitors.  Deep treads, big blocks on the sides, centerband for quiet smooth street performance and insanely high mileage.  The new Heidenau's, like the new Motoz tires, have a high silica content so they're good in the wet.

Personally, I'm really happy with the GPS rear for my use, so I'll likely stick with it unless something else shiny catches my eye. 

On 12/19/2022 at 3:45 PM, jdub53 said:

20220628_135004.jpg.f96a2f052b10130372de2547b5cbb8f2.jpg  

This is a killer feature for me, and a BIG part of what's kept me away from tank bags for years.  I hate the hassle in getting fuel quickly and easily - I ride in groups a fair bit, and when stopping for gas I want to be fast and efficient.  Hate being the guy others are waiting on.   Also, I'm really lazy.

2 hours ago, r1superstar said:

20221224_171206.jpg

20221224_171152.jpg

@r1superstarThey look good with your paint scheme. They also work. I slammed down hard on the right side at 25-30mph and they didn’t budge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

This is a killer feature for me, and a BIG part of what's kept me away from tank bags for years.  I hate the hassle in getting fuel quickly and easily - I ride in groups a fair bit, and when stopping for gas I want to be fast and efficient.  Hate being the guy others are waiting on.   Also, I'm really lazy.

Except for a magnetic tankbag years ago on another bike, this U-zipper design is the quickest set-up I've used when refueling. I don't at all miss the ritual of finding, latching and readjusting multiple straps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdub53 said:

I didn't notice anything on the front of the tankbag until you mentioned it. Just pulled it out of the closet for a closer look, and those are actually just small shiny lines on the material that look a bit like cuts or slits in the pic. No idea what caused them and the bag may have been delivered that way, but I'm not concerned as the material isn't damaged in any way.

The only long-term issue I've seen is the GL base marring the tank's surface when dust/dirt settles there and the base isn't removed often for cleaning. The base stays on my Acerbis tank most of the time even when I'm not using the tankbag, and the plastic did have rub marks several places when I removed the base once to wash the bike. It didn't bother me at all, but if I were using this on the stock tank I'd definitely want to fit a paint protection film before installing the base. I have no long-term concerns about tankbag durability or usage.     

Giant Loop has 3m clear stick in material to protect your tank. “Vinyl protective film”. It is 12mil thick. Same as dirt bike graphics material. It is 3 big sheets for $50. Really only need in sheet but they sell it in 3’s. Mine has been in for over a year and hasn’t budged. No peeling up if the corners etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Get one that works as a tail bag too. Then you can move it depending on the ride. I do. 
BE0FE339-2E91-4DE7-B585-F7372B1A8B92.jpeg.2da7d60da136811b30b89a8eeb2b8a36.jpegD5910D77-E895-47E3-9B13-04EF0533540E.jpeg.2e3a8fedb441ba8a68e463890a0f4060.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MitchF said:

Upper and lower bars.

my Christmas present to me 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿838DE63E-631C-4EE8-9770-9F654F8B5743.jpeg.d1402fc4da15a67a3234461fd470a7d6.jpege

They’re always the best thought out presents. 😂🍺

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, jdub53 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to point out flaws, but thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MitchF said:

Upper and lower bars.

my Christmas present to me 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿838DE63E-631C-4EE8-9770-9F654F8B5743.jpeg.d1402fc4da15a67a3234461fd470a7d6.jpege

They look good and are now a great mounting place for ALL your other accessories. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:22 AM, NeilW said:

Get one that works as a tail bag too. Then you can move it depending on the ride. I do. 
BE0FE339-2E91-4DE7-B585-F7372B1A8B92.jpeg.2da7d60da136811b30b89a8eeb2b8a36.jpegD5910D77-E895-47E3-9B13-04EF0533540E.jpeg.2e3a8fedb441ba8a68e463890a0f4060.jpeg

I have all Enduristan soft luggage including a Sandstrom 4H Tankbag.  never been a big fan of tankbags until I used one and found it so handy.  Enduristan stuff is all completely waterproof without having to fit annoying rain covers and one side unclips for quick and easy refuelling. top quality stuff.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 8:58 AM, jdub53 said:

... The only long-term issue I've seen is the GL base marring the tank's surface when dust/dirt settles there and the base isn't removed often for cleaning. The base stays on my Acerbis tank most of the time even when I'm not using the tankbag, and the plastic did have rub marks several places when I removed the base once to wash the bike. It didn't bother me at all, but if I were using this on the stock tank I'd definitely want to fit a paint protection film before installing the base. I have no long-term concerns about tankbag durability or usage.

Paint protection film is slippery and the GL base pad moves around no matter how hard you cinch it down.

I used 3M protection film and cut some ⅛" (3mm) black neoprene to size to fit under the tank bag. No slide, no scratch. Easy to rinse off the neoprene pad.

On 12/25/2022 at 11:19 AM, Wintersdark said:

Have you tried the newer Heidenau K60 Scout?  It's conceptually the same - the two tires are direct competitors.  Deep treads, big blocks on the sides, centerband for quiet smooth street performance and insanely high mileage.  The new Heidenau's, like the new Motoz tires, have a high silica content so they're good in the wet.

Personally, I'm really happy with the GPS rear for my use, so I'll likely stick with it unless something else shiny catches my eye. 

I have not.  I might be interested in the K60 Ranger or even possibly the regular K60 but not the Scout.  The Scout is too much like the GPS and quite frankly, I like my GPS too.  The center band is a love/ hate for me- I love it on the highway, it makes the tire quiet and yet I'd prefer it not be there off the highway.  And that's why I'll likely go with another one.  It kind of is the ultimate compromise tire and I've yet to find one that interestes me in replacing it.

• Like 2

Just now, DT675 said:

I have not.  I might be interested in the K60 Ranger or even possibly the regular K60 but not the Scout.  The Scout is too much like the GPS and quite frankly, I like my GPS too.  The center band is a love/ hate for me- I love it on the highway, it makes the tire quiet and yet I'd prefer it not be there off the highway.  And that's why I'll likely go with another one.  It kind of is the ultimate compromise tire and I've yet to find one that interestes me in replacing it.

Do you ride the rear in the 50/50 direction or in "mostly offroad mode"?

Mostly offroad direction.  And the road noise is still very acceptable.  I couldn't stand to loose any more traction that the 50/50 might provide.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fitted a pair of grab/lifting straps today. Had tried a pair of steel grab handles but didn’t fancy dropping the bike on them, probably end up doing damage to the frame inserts.

No real weight in the straps, hate adding weight to the T7 as it’s already a bugger to pick up 😁.

BC98BD7A-E1BE-4CF1-AA27-7A14DDB06AC8.jpeg

04A1DF7D-F09B-44A8-8A81-E2AC29328A39.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alan M said:

Fitted a pair of grab/lifting straps today. Had tried a pair of steel grab handles but didn’t fancy dropping the bike on them, probably end up doing damage to the frame inserts.

No real weight in the straps, hate adding weight to the T7 as it’s already a bugger to pick up 😁.

BC98BD7A-E1BE-4CF1-AA27-7A14DDB06AC8.jpeg

04A1DF7D-F09B-44A8-8A81-E2AC29328A39.jpeg

These are super cool! Where did you get those lugs?