Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

5 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Can you not simply adjust the gear lever, Neil?

I guess it might be the typical problem of finding a compromise setting for all kinds of riding and all kinds of footwear from flip-flops to Klingon combat boots.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Which is why I try to run with one set of boots. 

I agree.  The Sidis are surprisingly comfortable. I can imagine riding them all day long, so I might be able to completely move over to them.

• Like 1

Problem is when you go higher you once get to the point it gets too high for comfortable downshifting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Problem is when you go higher you once get to the point it gets too high for comfortable downshifting.

Definitely true. And since we'll usually stand on the pegs a lot, finding the sweet spot position for sitting AND for standing is not easier.

I once rode two ATs one day from some local buddies, and they rode my T7.

Their setup was extremely street based, which means their shifter was lower than the pegs. No way to perform upshifts when standing. And they weren't able to perform upshifts when riding my bike (higher shift lever) 😂

• Like 1

After the quite harsh ride yesterday I re-checked the oil level in the cartridges. Way too high, had to remove roughly 20ml from each leg (resulting in an air chamber of 120mm as required, and not only 90mm as I had set it!).

No idea why this has happened in both fork legs equal, but now it's fixed.

Also removed one 5mm preload spacer (had mounted two). One is left below the fork cap so that the cap actually touches the spring. Reason for that is that Tractive use the same spring length on the standard and the long travel forks, thus spacers required for zero preload.

Looking forward to a test ride!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Can you not simply adjust the gear lever, Neil?

I wear multiple brands of boots. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to swapping out the stock fork cartridges/springs, replaced with a Touratech closed cartridge system.

I had a big dumb moment where I took the fork caps off to add the fork oil, pumped the cartridges a bunch to work out the air bubbles, popped the springs on, went to put the caps back on and realized I did not make a mental note of which side was compression/rebound. Panicked a bit, called a buddy and he was like "uh... compression side will be harder to press down and rebound will be slower to come back out after you push it down"... felt pretty silly that I didn't think of that.

Then I felt even dumber after finishing the entire install and realized the picture I had snapped here halfway through CLEARLY shows the side that I installed the compression cartridge in.

Now if only the weather would stop sucking so I can actually ride and tune it.

fork that is dirty.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, badassler said:

Finally got around to swapping out the stock fork cartridges/springs, replaced with a Touratech closed cartridge system.

I had a big dumb moment where I took the fork caps off to add the fork oil, pumped the cartridges a bunch to work out the air bubbles, popped the springs on, went to put the caps back on and realized I did not make a mental note of which side was compression/rebound. Panicked a bit, called a buddy and he was like "uh... compression side will be harder to press down and rebound will be slower to come back out after you push it down"... felt pretty silly that I didn't think of that.

Then I felt even dumber after finishing the entire install and realized the picture I had snapped here halfway through CLEARLY shows the side that I installed the compression cartridge in.

Now if only the weather would stop sucking so I can actually ride and tune it.

fork that is dirty.jpg

Welcome to the club! This shows it's possible to do the install without removing the fork legs.

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Welcome to the club! This shows it's possible to do the install without removing the fork legs.

Yes and no. For a proper air chamber you need the legs perfectly straight up.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 10:12 PM, John said:

A lot! 😜

IMG_8088.jpg

Hello John,

how did you manage to fit the heat shield on top of the GB Racing engine cover? Is it the OEM plastic?

DYNO & ECU tune.  Well this has been a bit interesting, a couple of points though, firstly it slipped my mind I'd be better off putting a much more road oriented tyre on the back, instead took it with a rather worn knobbly, not perfect for the Dyno.  Secondly, this also has the oiled Funnel Web Filter and prefilter.   Now, the 'standard' red line is not standard of course, it's with the DECAT Akrapovic header and Camel enduro bend connector to Scorpion can.   My main aim was to get the best out of this system seeing as I'd spent so much on it, and to make sure I wasn't running lean!   So looking at the BHP and the red line pre-tune, it's very impressive with no peaky bits.  Check out that straight line!  Proves the DECAT and breath-ability kicks arse.  So comparing to the blue line post tune, it's a touch lower throughout but very similar.  The BHP blue line a minor but extra 2.3bhp at peak - not really noticeable in real world especially as that's only at 9000rpm.  I'm happy with that.  Yeh not the 70 odd HP claimed but the tyre might have affected it a little and to be fair I'm rarely giving this thing full chat berries.  None of us are unless we're racing.  As for the torque, again not a massive increase at peak torque (6400rpm), Neville the tuner was generally impressed with how the exhaust system worked pre-tune.  However the biggest gains are in the torque from low 2000's in the RPM, a very decent 10N-m increase immediately and a consistent level from there on until around 7000rpm which is pretty much my 'go to' before I'm looking at changing up anyway.   That N-m level from 2500 rpm being consistent (ish) to 7000 rpm has livened it up a treat, which is exactly what I would have liked. 

How does it ride?  VERY crisp, I'd like to find a different word than grunty because that makes it sound agricultural but it's just lively AF.  I have always run 98 octane, but it feels like I'm now running 110 octane (if that even exists?).  Happy days.  Two more major projects.  1) Proper tubeless wheel set, 2) Suspension upgrade which I've avoided so far seeing as I'm only 72 kgs and not really had it buck me off yet.   There will be a video on the channel at some point. 

T7 DYNO GRAPH.png

• Like 4

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

Installed a Rapidbike Evo yesterday. Only did a short ride, hopefully I will be able to do a longer ride next weekend. I am not sure if it is just me wanting to feel a difference but I am pretty sure it pulls better. I saw it raises the limiter while browsing the dimsport website, actually forgot about it so was surprised to see the limiter is raised to 12000rpm. It really feels like it pulls all the way to the limiter now. Also saw a 3d print bracket on a Facebook  group to fit it on top of the battery, which looks to be a better option than the original velcro route.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5863259

Edited by Sparx
Added link to 3D print file for holder
  • Like 1

Not actually done anything but the brash bar bags arrived and I’ve unpacked them

maybe a trio fit tomorrow 

initial thoughts pretty good for £45 delivered

770DB427-7AE1-482D-B0B5-4A3EFF1B06C3.jpeg

4AA6EAA4-1279-4502-91B5-5F3F5B8AB9CD.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Not actually done anything but the brash bar bags arrived and I’ve unpacked them

Don't crash with them, the straps don't survive a foot of sliding on a gravel sand mix.

I really like the Lomo bags, wish there were more readily available over here on the other side of the pond.  

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Don't crash with them, the straps don't survive a foot of sliding on a gravel sand mix.

@LewieThey have amazing pricing. 40pounds for 2!  Looks like they had some quality issues several years ago but learned from their customers.  Please give us a report when you have over stuffed them and been rained on.  I never ask for a crash test 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I never ask for a crash test 🙂

Guess how i know not to crash with them :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I really like the Lomo bags, wish there were more readily available over here on the other side of the pond.  

@WintersdarkI was just checking Lomo Amazon UK and they do ship to the "US"  their 79Pound  pannier set does have a 40Pound freight charge but that is still quite a bargain. 

12 minutes ago, NeilW said:

@WintersdarkI was just checking Lomo Amazon UK and they do ship to the "US"  their 79Pound  pannier set does have a 40Pound freight charge but that is still quite a bargain. 

Hmm, I never thought to check amazon.co.uk for them, just Lomo's own website.  

The crash bar bags are £47.90 with £22.98 shipping to Canada, ends up being £70.88 or $115 Canadian shipped.  That's pretty damn good, actually.  

I really like crash bar bags for touring; gets the weight forwards and down, impacting the bike's handling far less.  I think a set is in my near future.  While I can respect they likely won't survive a crash, I'm generally *either* doing long trips, or hard technical terrain, but not both at the same time.  Nothing really to do with the quality of the bags, just on the crash bars they'll bear the brunt of any crash.  If one survived a crash at any kind of speed I'd be incredibly impressed.  

I'd considered the Giant Loop Possibles Pouch, but they're $60USD each, $22.23 shipping, ends up at $142.23 USD or $192.36 CDN.  Oof. 

Edited by Wintersdark

The uk price is £45.65 within the uk- not sure how much it would add if I shipped them on to you- always happy to assist 

got these to pop my waterproof gear in on my trip

they also do some drop in dry bags which would be a good addition 

https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/ultra-light-weight-dry-bag-6l/

Edited by Lewie

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

The uk price is £45.65 within the uk- not sure how much it would add if I shipped them on to you- always happy to assist 

The price shipped from Amazon is pretty much the same; and £22.98 shipping is pretty reasonable.  Thanks, though, appreciate the offer! 

• Like 1

After the crash i adapted 2 Mosko Moto 5L aux pox to crashbar bags, works great for many trips and a few crashes on- and offroad.
A little more expensive but cheaper than new Lomo bags after every crash.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Hmm, I never thought to check amazon.co.uk for them, just Lomo's own website.  

The crash bar bags are £47.90 with £22.98 shipping to Canada, ends up being £70.88 or $115 Canadian shipped.  That's pretty damn good, actually.  

I really like crash bar bags for touring; gets the weight forwards and down, impacting the bike's handling far less.  I think a set is in my near future.  While I can respect they likely won't survive a crash, I'm generally *either* doing long trips, or hard technical terrain, but not both at the same time.  Nothing really to do with the quality of the bags, just on the crash bars they'll bear the brunt of any crash.  If one survived a crash at any kind of speed I'd be incredibly impressed.  

I'd considered the Giant Loop Possibles Pouch, but they're $60USD each, $22.23 shipping, ends up at $142.23 USD or $192.36 CDN.  Oof. 

@Wintersdark The GL Possibilities bag is bullet proof. The seams and stitching are totally secure even overstuffing with extra tools. I have slid on it ! I now mount it in the rear off my OEM pannier mounts so it is out of the way.  Also keep in mind that you can relocate any crash bar bags to a "tail bag" location if you think you might land on them. I am all the time moving my tank bag to the tail when I transition from freeway travel to off road. It reminds me to press the ABS button and also switch my Klim airbag from street to "adventure". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Thanks I intend to keep it upright on tarmac only 

For the money, they’re good quality.

If quality is measured on how good they survive a crash then the T7 is very poor quality 😂

• Like 1