Noel McCutcheon

On 3/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, Hibobb said:

Old Joke....

A timeline of Mortal Kombat ripoffs from the 1990s - Polygon

Image - 733284] | Just A Flesh Wound | Know Your Meme

Lol, Monty Python...

• Like 1

@DT675Does your computer recognise it?

worth a clean of the usb post with some electrical cleaner?

Edited by Lewie

I have not tried to plug it into a computer.  Just the wall charger and bike cradle.  If I can't get it to take a charge from the wall, I'll try the computer.

18 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I've been having problems with my XT lately.  It has spent all of its life on Garmins hard mounts (on 3 different vehicles) and has worked fine.  We took a trip south and I thought I'd use that instead of the car's outdated GPS.  So I set up a temp mount and plugged the XT into the power on the back and to the car's USB.  No go. Can't get the XT to power on.  It just flickers power and shuts off. I then took it into the house and plugged directly into a wall charger like I would for software updates.  No go. Just turns on for a second and goes out.  Now I'm getting nervous that the device itself has gone bad.  I then went back out to the garage and put it back into the cradle on the T7 and it powered up as normal.  Not sure what to make of all that.  Your post reminded me of this issue and I'm trying to leave it plugged into the wall charger for a while and see if I can do a software update.🤞

Do you have the correct cable?
Not all USB cables are wired the same, some are only for charging, others just for data and then there is both and some devices don't work with only charging.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I've been having problems with my XT lately.  It has spent all of its life on Garmins hard mounts (on 3 different vehicles) and has worked fine.  We took a trip south and I thought I'd use that instead of the car's outdated GPS.  So I set up a temp mount and plugged the XT into the power on the back and to the car's USB.  No go. Can't get the XT to power on.  It just flickers power and shuts off. I then took it into the house and plugged directly into a wall charger like I would for software updates.  No go. Just turns on for a second and goes out.  Now I'm getting nervous that the device itself has gone bad.  I then went back out to the garage and put it back into the cradle on the T7 and it powered up as normal.  Not sure what to make of all that.  Your post reminded me of this issue and I'm trying to leave it plugged into the wall charger for a while and see if I can do a software update.🤞

Even if your XT is out of warranty, you may want to call Garmin customer support and run these issues by them. The two folks I talked to the other day during my separate calls both took notes under my Garmin XT's serial number file of the issues; confirmed when the 2nd person read back some of the things I'd discussed with the 1st person. I figured that can only help if/when there are any other issues down the road. While they were both friendly and helpful, the first guy seemed a bit more tech savvy than the second and hopefully you can talk to someone who might be able to nail the problem for you right away. Good luck!

• Like 1

I was wondering if the computer is ‘seeing’ the XT not necessarily charging it

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I was wondering if the computer is ‘seeing’ the XT not necessarily charging it

When you hook it to the computer it also charges.
I never had charging issues over the cable but i always used an original Garmin cable.

• Like 2

I understand when it’s plugged in it also charges - give up

im sure you’ll be able to fix the problem for him

Edited by Lewie

3 hours ago, DT675 said:

I've seen this type of behavior with other devices including other Garmin units.  Were you using a Garmin cable/charger? It doesn't have to be a Garmin cable/charger but not all USB cables and not all USB chargers are cross compatible just because they have the same plug.  Usually the issue is the cable might have data wiring but not charging or vice versa and on the chargers some devices are sensitive to the chargers output. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2

Put my street tires back on for an upcoming road trip. Replaced the rear pads, added a rear seat trunk/rack, and a knock-off kaoko throttle lock. Both from aliexpress and both work great.  Now to head to texas next weekend. 

I should be at 20k miles when I get back so I ordered new front pads, spark plugs, antifreeze, chain/sprockets, and new wheel bearings/seals so I can go through the bike when I get back.

• Like 2

Added an SAE socket to my tail hardcase that can connect to the bike's SAE socket.

20230319_154849.jpg.2ed8adcf18c8acc743fbe3993904b104.jpg

This way, extra gadgets and batteries in the box can be charged as I ride.  Sealed in with a bead of silicon to maintain waterproofing. 

Happy as a clam.  Also has a handy voltmeter, though I've already got one of those on the dash usb ports.  The charger here can be thrown into the Tracers soft tail bag as well and connected to it's harness as well, but it was important for me to have solid waterproofing on the T7, as it goes places the Tracer does not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IAbeem said:

Nice! Any pro tips installing the oxford adventure grips? Just got mine today $90 on Amazon. What was the best route for the wires?

Hi, well it was the first time I’ve had / put on heated grips.  My friend did all the wiring.  We connected the grips to the battery, as recommended by Oxford, with the included wiring harness.  We routed the battery lead connection as close as we could to the bike’s wiring harness up to just beneath the yoke of the bike, I believe.  There seemed to be a logical place for all the wires at that location.

On the grips themselves, we first dry fitted them for placement and made sure the clutch and brake levers didn’t interfere with operation.  We positioned the wires coming out of the grips facing toward the rear of the bike, as you can see in the photos.

Hope this helps some.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Do you have the correct cable?
Not all USB cables are wired the same, some are only for charging, others just for data and then there is both and some devices don't work with only charging.

5 hours ago, Windblown said:

I've seen this type of behavior with other devices including other Garmin units.  Were you using a Garmin cable/charger? It doesn't have to be a Garmin cable/charger but not all USB cables and not all USB chargers are cross compatible just because they have the same plug.  Usually the issue is the cable might have data wiring but not charging or vice versa and on the chargers some devices are sensitive to the chargers output. 

This was it!!  I did  not have the correct cable @Ray Ride4life.  I forgot, some months ago I shelved my 10' garmin cable in favor of a 2' cable to charge and do software updates in my office.  Since switching out cables I don't believe I had yet to use that 2' cable.  Some months later I went to install the XT in my car and it wouldn't work.  I now realize it was because the battery was completely dead and the cable I was using wasnt working even though the XT was recognizing that I was hooking a cable to it.  But the wrong cable.  I went and found the original 10' cable, and it charges!  Just completed the software update and it seems to be holding battery charge now too.

Solved.  Thanks guys!

• Like 3

Had first ride with suspension adjusted as per Nomad Sweden’s Youtube clip, what a difference, much smoother, soaks up the bumps on my poor roads here in Kent, and as a slow off road rider, perfect for me. 

Also fitted Akropovic Titanium Silencer, slip on. Bike runs beautifully.

A good day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Added an SAE socket to my tail hardcase that can connect to the bike's SAE socket.

20230319_154849.jpg.2ed8adcf18c8acc743fbe3993904b104.jpg

This way, extra gadgets and batteries in the box can be charged as I ride.  Sealed in with a bead of silicon to maintain waterproofing. 

Happy as a clam.  Also has a handy voltmeter, though I've already got one of those on the dash usb ports.  The charger here can be thrown into the Tracers soft tail bag as well and connected to it's harness as well, but it was important for me to have solid waterproofing on the T7, as it goes places the Tracer does not.

This is a great idea. Any advice on how to charge a 12v Milwaukee battery on the go?

4 hours ago, DT675 said:

This is a great idea. Any advice on how to charge a 12v Milwaukee battery on the go?

Hmmm.  Not really, I'm not sure how their charging circuits work. Unless you've got one of those battery powered Milwaukee heated jackets?  Got my wife one 🙂 She got a Milwaukee USB powered charger for the battery, which I can throw into the box and charge her battery.

Put it in the second hole today and loved it!

Maybe I should explain:

Went from hole #1 to hole #2 on the CamelADV 1 Finger Clutch Arm. Although even the first hole is an improvement over stock, it still required a little too much force. Now it's perfect. Since I had grip puppies mounted until recently, I hadn't enough room for reliable disengagement with hole #2 previously.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

When you hook it to the computer it also charges.
I never had charging issues over the cable but i always used an original Garmin cable.

Actually,  I have. A few years ago, while trying to upload tracks, my files kept showing as being transferred from BaseCamp to my device, but never actually showed up. After lots of troubleshooting,  I found my genuine Garmin cable would only charge, but not transfer data. I obtained a new cable from Garmin and now is all good. My advice is to get another Garmin cable if having charging or data transfer issues.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Put it in the second hole today and loved it!

Maybe I should explain:

Went from hole #1 to hole #2 on the CamelADV 1 Finger Clutch Arm. Although even the first hole is an improvement over stock, it still required a little too much force. Now it's perfect. Since I had grip puppies mounted until recently, I hadn't enough room for reliable disengagement with hole #2 previously.

Already hurting my ring finger with my gilles handle.
This clutch arm would mean more travel of cluth lever?
Looks interesting though. realy not alot of play on it.
I'm quite rough with the gearbox now because of it having so little play.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Hmmm.  Not really, I'm not sure how their charging circuits work. Unless you've got one of those battery powered Milwaukee heated jackets?  Got my wife one 🙂 She got a Milwaukee USB powered charger for the battery, which I can throw into the box and charge her battery.

Yes it is for a Milwaukee heated "sweatshirt" using the 12v batteries.  I'm betting the jacket uses them too.  I'll have a search on that usb charger.  Thats what I was looking for but havn't found one yet.

10 minutes ago, gerbuuu said:

Already hurting my ring finger with my gilles handle.
This clutch arm would mean more travel of cluth lever?
Looks interesting though. realy not alot of play on it.
I'm quite rough with the gearbox now because of it having so little play.

Yes, it's longer so the friction zone is extended AND less force is required.

One of the best mods for the T7 imho.

See here:

We love the Yamaha T7 but found the clutch friction zone to be narrower than we'd like. To help smooth out the toggle switch-like clutch feel, we...

@Wintersdark I just found this at my local hardware store today.  This should do the trick. 

20230320_123602.jpg.e672f1231338dfd12e865965afe37bc6.jpg

This usb port is for using your 12v battery to charge a device. (which I dont really need)

20230320_123612.jpg.ac7148beed3d729a3b1c53879b74e75f.jpg

This port is for using the cable to charge the battery from the usb socket.  Thats what I need.

20230320_123621.jpg.1c18066070a274e7da27ee7c57816180.jpg 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:37 PM, ngam said:

Today, with the help of a great friend, we installed the Outback Motortek crash bars, (the blue is awesome), Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips, and Barkbuster handguards 🤘🏍

343D81DE-9CF8-4927-A524-448FFFBB537A.jpeg

171864B5-E7B0-48DE-8309-AE317B3BEA6F.jpeg

2DC18BA2-6C8F-44B7-9CED-D68147E50F5B.jpeg

5E918F2A-720C-41D5-A97F-4954F8F7EE6A.jpeg

809D13F9-8A90-4EEB-8373-0C40837ED933.jpeg

CA22C9D1-1093-46C5-B180-A91577B2DBF3.jpeg

I like those barkbusters .

Where did you get them?

• Like 1