Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Yup. Agree with all the above. Wrs short sport screen. And good earplugs.
And a head over or one of those wind stopper things for helmets, to stop the noise/wind getting up to my left ear. (Don’t know why it’s just the left)

• Like 2

Yeah, I bought it for highway and long trips with higher speed.

off-road = no go

going to see if the anti bobble head will help a bit.

Might go on sale again 😆

It's just a shame I couldn't test ride it at the shop. and bring it back if it didn't work out.

Got bored at lunchtime so made my own wheel removal tool

€9 27mm from Amazon and nut/bolt (m12 I think) that fits inside from wheel

some snots of weld, a shot of paint and hey presto

EC5E0C22-5096-46AA-872D-26BB511F7C20.jpeg.b068a56b64c1b87103c69ddaa94916ff.jpeg

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 6

On 3/23/2023 at 8:44 PM, e010584 said:

Decided to try a cheap aluminum minimalist rack.  Slots added for tie down points for soft bags and modified rear mounts to avoid unsightly holes in plastic when removed.  Not good for much weight, but should be perfect for securing soft luggage.  Works with rear seat rack although sits at lower level.

20230323_170938.jpg

20230323_171021.jpg

20230323_170959.jpg

Pictures with rack removed added to show stand offs. 

20230402_211300.jpg

20230402_211246.jpg

19 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Only downside: Smartphone isn't fully protected against wind, rain and mud any more 😁

This is actually the only reason I didn't swap out my windscreen for a sport one immediately.  I like that it keeps my phone from being splattered with everything.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 2:38 AM, Dougie said:

And a head over or one of those wind stopper things for helmets, to stop the noise/wind getting up to my left ear. (Don’t know why it’s just the left)

Thats interesting.  I have to wear ear plugs when riding mostly because of how the air flow affects my left ear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Thats interesting.  I have to wear ear plugs when riding mostly because of how the air flow affects my left ear.

I have many helmets and they all have different wind noise characteristics on different bikes. If you or anyone has a lot of wind noise I suggest you swap helmets with others and run  up to 50-70mph. you will be surprised at the differences.  For instance, standing at 60mph my Klim Krios Karbon looking straight ahead, I can hear my tires on the road and literally no wind noise at all.

• Like 2

I've had 3 helmets for ADV bikes lately and have 2 street helmets.  While the air flow characteristics are different between them, they all affect my left ear. I think its pressure differential related.

• Like 1

installed Anti-woble.

ali-express 13€ the fit was very much ok to my surprise.

I hope this won't put stress on other parts.. Engineers intended it to be wobbly so ...

Anyone with long term experience with an anti wobble?

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg

4 hours ago, gerbuuu said:

installed Anti-woble.

Why don't you ask the supplier? 😁

I'm sure they know their product and have done extensive testing!

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, gerbuuu said:

installed Anti-woble.

I hope this won't put stress on other parts.. Engineers intended it to be wobbly so ...

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5156.jpeg

@gerbuuu why did you choose to buy a knock off when Camel ADV invented it, tested it, made sure it was safe and effective and uses the money to invent more useful products for us?  Did you not know you were purchasing a knock off? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gerbuuu said:

installed Anti-woble.

Buy the Camel ADV part and you won't ask questions like this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NeilW said:

@gerbuuu why did you choose to buy a knock off when Camel ADV invented it, tested it, made sure it was safe and effective and uses the money to invent more useful products for us?  Did you not know you were purchasing a knock off? 

learned afterwards they invented it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gerbuuu said:

learned afterwards they invented it.

Totally get it. As you can see, this Forum supports the vendors they bring us innovative products. There is a wealth of information here. 

• Like 1

Camel report zero failures which I truly believe, but your ali baba specials won't be constructed the same so it's hard to say.

• Like 2

Started my tank sticker removal project. The tank removal is fairly easy; wish I bought the pinch pliers from Harbor Freight but two 90 degree picks and the pesky fuel line is out. 

I expected that the factory paint under the stickers would be sacrificed, but man was that a bitch. The clear-coat ridge around the stickers was massive and some spots had to go to bare metal. 

Bare metal forced me into multiple primer coats- etching and sealing primers.

After the primer runs hardened my mock up showed I missed a spot behind the rear side cover where the small bump is by the rear tank mount. Then a shrieking sound, followed by a siren, followed by a gavel, followed by me writing this from prison. (Blatantly ripping off Clarkson; the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time)

Had my local paint shop match the side cover, which has a bit of flake in it. Audi black with blue flake.

I’m still waiting out decent weather for painting and now I’m digging into how nasty the 2k clear is and all the PPE required for spraying. Forced air respirators and all kinds of crazy stuff. Still doing research but I’m thinking of farming out the clear and paint as they need to be done within an hour or 24 hours apart. A younger me would’ve wrapped a shirt around his face and got on with it.

I’m still learning a good bit and this has been a fun project, lengthy but fun. Tank pic is final primer coat ready for sanding. 

8013102D-574D-43BE-BB99-17374282BDF8.jpeg

442E3857-C2D5-47DF-BA65-DD469BBE6294.jpeg

• Like 4

Added preload to the fork springs to increase trail - not only does it work as expected and adds stability at higher speeds, but it also lets the forks do their work much better miraculously. More details in the Tractive open cartridge thread.

I'm a happy rider!

• Like 1

Was hoping to be done the tank by now;  between the weather, work and my incompetence this is taking a bit more time than expected. 

I managed to sand thru the primer, prepping for the color coat; that tank is a god damn icosahedron. That and my ham-hands with the touch of a baby elephant, went down to metal in the very rear and bottom center with 800 grit wet. Fixed the primer and lightly sanded again. 

Today is perfect weather but I’ve got a funeral to attend, a friend in his middle 50’s committed suicide. I try not to spread negativity around but we often forget to show the people in our lives they’re loved. And as my dad used to quip when we got angry, “you never have to regret being kind”. 

Depending on the severity of the wake hangover I might get the tank done this weekend, hopefully while blasting some “ Only you know and I know”. 

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Yamablueridge said:

Was hoping to be done the tank by now;  between the weather, work and my incompetence this is taking a bit more time than expected. 

I managed to sand thru the primer, prepping for the color coat; that tank is a god damn icosahedron. That and my ham-hands with the touch of a baby elephant, went down to metal in the very rear and bottom center with 800 grit wet. Fixed the primer and lightly sanded again. 

Today is perfect weather but I’ve got a funeral to attend, a friend in his middle 50’s committed suicide. I try not to spread negativity around but we often forget to show the people in our lives they’re loved. And as my dad used to quip when we got angry, “you never have to regret being kind”. 

Depending on the severity of the wake hangover I might get the tank done this weekend, hopefully while blasting some “ Only you know and I know”. 

Sorry for your loss buddy. Take care!

• Like 1

Quite a few things this week in prep for earnest riding season.

1. Installed a GPS mount and wiring for a Garmin Zumo XT.   I used the Rally Raid bar mount, and was able to get it level after some fiddling.   Wiring was straighforward, and this Youtube video makes it very easy to follow along and complete.

2. Spectrum Moto tail tidy - dead simple install and design. I picked this one because it allows for all the stock lights and wiring to be used, no cutting / soldering etc.

3. LeoVince headers - absolutely flawless fit, zero issues.    You will need to grab the O2 extender wire, which is insanely pricey for what it is... oh well.

4. Camel enduro bend high pipe and Wings exhaust - While cutting the stock exhaust bracket is a bit of a "well, this is happening" moment, the build quality of the Camel clamp is great.   The Wings exhaust kinda sorta almost mates up to the Camel pipe, but not really.   Off to the auto shop tomorrow for an exhaust pipe spreader to resolve this.  The Wings exhaust just needs a bit of a tweak, and the 2 pipes should cooperate fine. 

Next is sending the ECU off, the bike's 600 mile oil change, installing the Camel gut guard, and off we go.

tailtidy3.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

@headwinded

Decent looking tail tidy and pricing at $110 isn't too bad.

Question: Would you mind providing some measurements of the location of the right hand turn signal positioning?  Specifically looking for the distance from the bottom of the tail light to the center of the turn signal, both horizontally and vertically.  The camera angle is probably influencing me, but it appears to be almost level with the bottom "V" of the tail light lens. I'm trying to determine compatability with my Camel ADV Rally exhaust. 

Thanks 

https://www.spectrummoto.com/product-page/tenere-700-rear-fender-eliminator-kit

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

10 hours ago, AZJW said:

@headwinded

Decent looking tail tidy and pricing at $110 isn't too bad.

Question: Would you mind providing some measurements of the location of the right hand turn signal positioning?  Specifically looking for the distance from the bottom of the tail light to the center of the turn signal, both horizontally and vertically.  The camera angle is probably influencing me, but it appears to be almost level with the bottom "V" of the tail light lens. I'm trying to determine compatability with my Camel ADV Rally exhaust. 

Thanks 

https://www.spectrummoto.com/product-page/tenere-700-rear-fender-eliminator-kit

So the middle of the turn signal is about 2.25" below the middle of the brake light.    This side shot should give you an idea of things, though I know the rally style exhaust pitches the exhaust much higher than the enduro bend I have here:

image.png.c8171072014a8097bc0fafded8b6c8f0.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2023 at 1:38 AM, Dougie said:

Thanks for the tip on WRS.  Have you tried the wider deflectors?