Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

3 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I did- my rear pads were gone by about 4700 miles or less ( from new) - and remember I am a front brake user who stands and rarely uses the rear except in slow and tight situations ( which I try to avoid 🙂

I want to adjust my throttle cable now, I'm sure it's got slacker since I bought it, quite jerky on the power sometimes.  I looked at that after-market throttle that mellows it out, still thinking about that...

11 hours ago, NeilW said:

Me too!  Lost my rear brake 5x in a year and a half. Go to Camel Adv and watch the videos on THE FIX for the T7 They have the solution. 

I actually do have CamelAdv's fix installed. Had it on for a month before I left, so you can imagine my surprise when I come back to my back with no rear brake feel at all.

4 hours ago, winddown said:

What are the pads like?  I wonder if it's some sort of "save the rotor" technology?  I know, sounds crazy, but having air suddenly get into the system sounds crazy too.  I have never experienced that on any bike, ever.

Pads are perfectly healthy. I've also reduced the brake fluid in the rear brake reservoir when I got bought the bike after reading about how it was sometimes overfilled and led to early brake pad wear.

I also think it's crazy and have never had it happen to any other bike as well. Initially, I could easily bottom out the brakes with my hands even with CamelAdv's fix installed, but after bleeding it for a bit it has regained some stiffness, but I can still bottom it out with my foot if I put my weight into it. I'd flush the entire system just to see if it works but unfortunately I don't have a bottle of DOT4 brake fluid at hand. This is also why I'm asking if AltRiders speed bleeder kit really works or if I should just get one of those vacuum hand pumps, since bleeding brakes solo is a pain.

IMG_20230322_181211.jpg

Edited by DonaNobisPacem

On 3/18/2023 at 5:37 PM, ngam said:

Today, with the help of a great friend, we installed the Outback Motortek crash bars, (the blue is awesome), Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips, and Barkbuster handguards.....

Did the piece circled come with the VPS guards?  Or is that extra?

HandguardVPS.png.1c578dd2b378d6a2dfb6bd36c37ff391.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

Did the piece circled come with the VPS guards?  Or is that extra?

HandguardVPS.png.1c578dd2b378d6a2dfb6bd36c37ff391.png

@Toymaster No, it did not come with the VPS handguards.  It was extra and I got them from Rocky Mountain:

Shop for Handlebars & Controls, like Barkbusters VPS Skid Plate at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Pads are perfectly healthy. I've also reduced the brake fluid in the rear brake reservoir when I got bought the bike after reading about how it was sometimes overfilled and led to early brake pad wear.

???  Well this could be another reason they failed couldn't it?  I mean when something goes wrong with a system I immediately look at any changes I have made prior to the problem.   I have a hard time believing Yamaha would let a problem like rear brake failure go unanswered.  That is the sort of thing that prompts a recall.

Did you contact Yamaha about it?

Hell if my rear brake failed I'd be back to the dealer so fast it would make roadsigns spin.

Edited by winddown
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, winddown said:

???  Well this could be another reason they failed couldn't it?  I mean when something goes wrong with a system I immediately look at any changes I have made prior to the problem.   I have a hard time believing Yamaha would let a problem like rear brake failure go unanswered.  That is the sort of thing that prompts a recall.

Did you contact Yamaha about it?

Hell if my rear brake failed I'd be back to the dealer so fast it would make roadsigns spin.

Considering I did that step almost a year and a half ago, I'm less inclined to believe that would be the reason for my issue. And the fact of the matter is that the reservoir was overfilled, and I simply dropped it back down to proper levels. I was more wary of CamelAdv's fix causing the issue, but that one was also installed for a couple of months with no signs of trouble as well. I'll try fully flushing the system first and see if it completely resolves the issue, and if not then I'll take it to the dealer to be inspected.

• Like 3

I've used speed bleeders on cars but have stopped using them because the check valves fail after the initial use on a street car with long intervals between bleeding.  They worked ok on my race car that got brake service every track session.

@DonaNobisPacem have you tried holding the brake lever down overnight? I know it is not as effective as on the front wheel, but it has worked for me on the rear at times.

14 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

I actually do have CamelAdv's fix installed. Had it on for a month before I left, so you can imagine my surprise when I come back to my back with no rear brake feel at all.

I also think it's crazy and have never had it happen to any other bike as well. Initially, I could easily bottom out the brakes with my hands even with CamelAdv's fix installed, but after bleeding it for a bit it has regained some stiffness, but I can still bottom it out with my foot if I put my weight into it. I'd flush the entire system just to see if it works but unfortunately I don't have a bottle of DOT4 brake fluid at hand. This is also why I'm asking if AltRiders speed bleeder kit really works or if I should just get one of those vacuum hand pumps, since bleeding brakes solo is a pain.

IMG_20230322_181211.jpg

@DonaNobisPacem  I suggest you reach out to Camel and ask for advise. 

Decided to try a cheap aluminum minimalist rack.  Slots added for tie down points for soft bags and modified rear mounts to avoid unsightly holes in plastic when removed.  Not good for much weight, but should be perfect for securing soft luggage.  Works with rear seat rack although sits at lower level.

20230323_170938.jpg

20230323_171021.jpg

20230323_170959.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, e010584 said:

Decided to try a cheap aluminum minimalist rack.  Slots added for tie down points for soft bags and modified rear mounts to avoid unsightly holes in plastic when removed.  Not good for much weight, but should be perfect for securing soft luggage.  Works with rear seat rack although sits at lower level.

20230323_170938.jpg

20230323_171021.jpg

20230323_170959.jpg

Looks good and should do the job you want it to. you have an up vote from me...not that it matters 🙂

• Like 1

I have a Center Stand and took off my front wheel and instead of the bike sitting back on the rear wheel like it had in the past, it wanted to drop forward. Had to yell for help from the wife to move the floor jack into position. Didn't think I had that much extra weight front of Center, but obviously I do. Sort of like having "just" one donut on the way home from work, every day 🙂

The extra weight snuck up on me......

anyone else have a porky T7 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

I have a Center Stand and took off my front wheel and instead of the bike sitting back on the rear wheel like it had in the past, it wanted to drop forward. Had to yell for help from the wife to move the floor jack into position. Didn't think I had that much extra weight front of Center, but obviously I do. Sort of like having "just" one donut on the way home from work, every day 🙂

Glad you caught her! That's one reason why I decided I can live without a centerstand. If I need to carry a trail stand anyway for front wheel removal, I could use it for rear wheel work, too.

Same for my small, cheap scisdor jack.

I don't miss my centerstand at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e010584 said:

20230323_170938.jpg

20230323_171021.jpg

20230323_170959.jpg

Looks good

how did you avoid drilling holes - looked at one of these for a short trip I’m planning as I have soft luggage 

On 3/23/2023 at 2:51 AM, winddown said:

…………….

😂, People are normally shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician.

Sorry, made me chuckle 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, NeilW said:

How much fuel in your tank?

31 minutes ago, Boondocker said:

Good point.  I have thought about removing the front wheel with the centerstand, I always imagined putting a log or other heavy object up on the rear seat.

Installed this monstrosity.

Test wasn’t conclusive because there was so much wind.

almost more wind from the side than front 🙃

ABB991C1-0E0B-414A-B078-4E9021293CB1.jpeg

E99ADBB6-339A-4020-A503-6D049C0895DD.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boondocker said:

@Boondocker  almost full 24# / 10.9kg - that explains it, except for all the other weight I added tipped it - literally over the top....

17 hours ago, Lewie said:

Looks good

how did you avoid drilling holes - looked at one of these for a short trip I’m planning as I have soft luggage 

Still had to drill a couple holes but much smaller ones.  I ran bolts up from underneath and found  a couple flanged threaded standoffs (looks like a rivet nut) that were just the right height to sit flush on top of the plastic with a couple small aluminum spacers on top of them and shorter countersunk screws to attach the plate.  I probably should have taken pictures and may do so if I have it back apart.  The holes in the plastic were about 1/4" rather than 3/4" for the included standoff spacers and have a couple of flush button heads on the plastic with the rack removed.

23 hours ago, e010584 said:

20230323_170938.jpg

20230323_171021.jpg

20230323_170959.jpg

Where did you get this?

Finally finished my Tall Boy With Broken Knees (6'4") mods, by installing a likely highly controversial set of 20mm lowering links(Edit: Controversial given the Tall Rally seat that is; lowering links are a pretty normal thing for short people), and lifting the forms back up to stock height (where previously lowered as far as they could go)

Total ergo setup now:

* Tall Rally Seat - 41mm raised seat

* Bosleys 30mm lowered pegs

* Handlebar risers up 36mm and forwards 36mm

* Rear 20mm lowering links

* Forks at stock height

End result, when seated (compared to stock): Seat height +21mm, bars up and forward 36, pegs down 30mm).  Seat to peg difference +57mm, or 2¼”, shoulders to grips +36mm forward, 5mm down.  

Standing: shoulders to grips +36mm forwards, 66mm up.

Thus I've got sportier handlebar positioning when seated; effectively forwards and lowered. Easier handlebar position offroad, significantly raised and moved forwards to open up stability and allow me to actually stand straight upright to relax(this was impossible stock, I had to hunch over).  And finally and crucially for me, a massively opened up pegs-to-seat gap easing seated->standing transitions and reducing pressure on my knees from being all cramped up when seated (stock).  

Wonderful.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Goody Boy said:

Where did you get this?

AliExpress.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:34 AM, Lewie said:

Looks good

Still had to drill a couple holes but much smaller ones.  I ran bolts up from underneath and found  a couple flanged threaded standoffs (looks like a rivet nut) that were just the right height to sit flush on top of the plastic with a couple small aluminum spacers on top of them and shorter countersunk screws to attach the plate.  I probably should have taken pictures and may do so if I have it back apart.  The holes in the plastic were about 1/4" rather than 3/4" for the included standoff spacers and have a couple of flush button heads on the plastic with the rack removed.