Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Changed my front sprocket after almost 16.000km, i was just a little late but still in time and did not destroyed the chain (rear sprocket also looks still good)
image.png.8abfa86f575912fcd8b7bee332d137ae.png

I always change the front around 14 - 15k/km and then the rest can survive to around 30k/km.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Indeed.  This was one of my first changes as well.  They are unobtrusive and yet very bright.  My flash somewhat slowly so wonder if this Gen2 flasher relay was made to fix this problem.

I too have done this with some sub £6 indicators- I like it

0BC06E35-D467-4A4B-A62A-168C6C3C6905.jpeg

• Like 4

fitted gps ( garmin drivesmart 66 🙈)

Thinking of a way to waterproof it 🤔

IMG_5041.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gerbuuu said:

Heat shrink wrap might be the easiest way, though it would need to be once heck of a good wrap and shrink to avoid condensation forming under.

Other option would be to make an acrylic / polycarb enclosure (both are actually pretty easy to DIY - sheet + stanley knife + heat gun + acrylic glue / epoxy), you wouldn't need crazy think sheets of them either. 1mm polycarb would be ideal 🙂

Would make for an interesting weekend project

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

Touchscreen won’t work anymore then.

seen only one pouch that looked interesting.

maybe just a zip-lock bag when it rains.

40 minutes ago, motonap said:

Heat shrink wrap might be the easiest way, though it would need to be once heck of a good wrap and shrink to avoid condensation forming under.

Other option would be to make an acrylic / polycarb enclosure (both are actually pretty easy to DIY - sheet + stanley knife + heat gun + acrylic glue / epoxy), you wouldn't need crazy think sheets of them either. 1mm polycarb would be ideal 🙂

Would make for an interesting weekend project

• Like 1

Today I have installed a double USB connection with AMP meter for the battery on the spare right side of the fairing.

Very nice hardware I have to say - easy to install - only the removal of the headlight was new for me

IMG-20230306-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20230306-WA0008.jpeg

• Like 1

4E73AEEB-C3AC-46CD-B4D2-1CC7D972709A.jpeg.2e59f63937922a09cf844417b9dd5e2a.jpeg

Finally got round to sorting the rust on the underside of my tank. To be fair it wasn’t too bad but seeing pics from other owners it was only going to get worse. Main issue is the tacked on bracket probably doesn’t have any paint under it and isn’t sealed, there were other small areas with no paint at all.

C3E44028-4DAA-4128-AB27-D892FF934A63.jpeg.f27ebd8a673904a5ff8c2cc92d5f06a5.jpeg

Wee prime and some seam sealer should sort it, just needs a lick of paint. 

Also done the spark plug mod with the tank off. If I’m honest I still struggled to remove the coil packs. Ended up removing the 3 bolts holding the ABS pump and lifting it slightly, much easier with the pump loose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Upgrade to my 350 arrived today - very nice

0DC351A6-2D6A-4CAD-9765-43F7A99E4CB3.jpeg

love mine. You do know you have to hard wire power otherwise the screen will be too dim to see. Mine worked on USB power for 1 year before going dim, Garmin Support said that was an anomaly.  Now using the hard wire bracket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilW said:

love mine. You do know you have to hard wire power otherwise the screen will be too dim to see. Mine worked on USB power for 1 year before going dim, Garmin Support said that was an anomaly.  Now using the hard wire bracket.

I have it hard wired on both bikes but on my CT one of the small pins broke (the springie part wanted to be free i guess). Had it shortly on battery just for home work and back but indeed on the way back it went mostly very dim. Had to do a longer ride for wich i used the USB and that worked fine but i don't like the loose cable.

Thanks both

ive got the hardwire kit- and bought a 2 pin aux connector so I could wire it into the loom and have it via the ignition- a pretty poor design then

5 hours ago, Lewie said:

Upgrade to my 350 arrived today - very nice

0DC351A6-2D6A-4CAD-9765-43F7A99E4CB3.jpeg

I bought one of those (Zumo XT) last week along with a second cradle and power cord so I can use it on both bikes. Used it for the first time yesterday during a ride on my BMW, and 30 minutes in started getting an intermittent message that external power had been lost and the screen dimmed. Within 30 seconds the screen got bright again, and I each time I confirmed that then the battery indicator showed it was charging/getting external power. 

After an hour of this game, external power never came back but I knew the connection I'd made at the battery was solid. I decided to keep going just using the unit's battery, but then figured I should turn off the unit until I really needed it in unfamiliar areas. Problem was, it kept turning itself back on within 10 seconds of me pressing its on/off switch and continued to run on its own battery power. I stopped in a town with a phone signal and called Garmin. The rep thought the circuit breaker within the power cable might be bad (no manual reset as the unit is sealed) and was randomly cycling on and off, but said the GPS may also be bad and asked me to do more troubleshooting once home.

Then I remembered I had an identical but untried set-up on the T7, so I headed home with the GPS in the tankbag. Once home I popped the Zumo into the T7's cradle and after an hour ride with no issues confirmed they'd shipped a bad power cable with the Zumo XT. Called Garmin back and, after saying they'd never heard of such an issue before, they've got a new power cable and cradle on the way to me. Not a good start, but hopefully this takes care of the issue.

• Like 4

Got my Abba Skylift and centerstand in.  The Skylift is outstanding, though my foot pegs prevent lifting it in wheelie position unless they're removed (stock footpegs don't need to be removed and can just be tied up).  But wanted the rear up to mount the centerstand anyways.

20230317_131042.jpg.15beecfe9cea6acda6b50800adbbaeee.jpg

Sadly, no pictures of the centerstand as I had a bit of a booboo pulling the spring.  Slipped, and drove the hook of the puller into my left palm, then tore open palm and wrist.  It's ugly, but a flesh wound, no functional damage; I'll be fine.  

Did get the spring on though!  

Had to remove the left peg to get a bolt in, so that still needs to be done, and of course she needs a bit of a bath.  

The Skylift is wild, though.  Had the Tracer up as well, it's super easy to use, extremely stable, way better than a lift table.  The left side adapter plate has to be bolted up between the frame and the rear shock, which would normally be extremely awkward but was trivial sitting underneath the rear tire.  

20230317_131100.jpg.61b082fd1ee4848131a6805b33cdfe68.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

It's ugly, but a flesh wound

Old Joke....

A timeline of Mortal Kombat ripoffs from the 1990s - Polygon

Image - 733284] | Just A Flesh Wound | Know Your Meme

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Sadly, no pictures of the centerstand as I had a bit of a booboo pulling the spring.  Slipped, and drove the hook of the puller into my left palm, then tore open palm and wrist.  It's ugly, but a flesh wound, no functional damage; I'll be fine.  

Did get the spring on though!  

@Wintersdark Bummer. Sorry that happened. Hope it heals up ok.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, gerbuuu said:

IMG_5041.jpeg

Rugged and weatherproof water-rated to IPX7 (splashes, rain or snow)

IPX7 rating is extremely popular and we assume that you have already heard about it. It is popular because it implies that your device is waterproof and that it can be fully submerged into 1-meter deep water for up to 30 minutes and still be able to work properly after that.

https://waterprooftalk.com/what-is-ipx7-waterproof/

Edited by winddown

1 hour ago, winddown said:

Rugged and weatherproof water-rated to IPX7 (splashes, rain or snow)

IPX7 rating is extremely popular and we assume that you have already heard about it. It is popular because it implies that your device is waterproof and that it can be fully submerged into 1-meter deep water for up to 30 minutes and still be able to work properly after that.

https://waterprooftalk.com/what-is-ipx7-waterproof/

I see the IPX7 spec listed on the Garmin website for the Zumo XT as that is designed as a motorcycle unit that needs to be waterproof. No such rating listed on the website for gerbuuu's Garmin Drivesmart 66 which is designed for use inside an automobile.

Edited by jdub53

Wasn’t sure if that mount will hold.

Ran a piece of string trough the inside of the gps 

EC59A2F9-2C85-4088-9A41-2A60A83430C3.jpeg

050EA222-1171-480E-945B-3C355E97133C.jpeg

48ADB3AC-EC17-47F7-BE8A-ED90CC7AF394.jpeg

• Like 1

Why not spending a little more for a device that has a mount that wil hold up, be water- schock- and fuel proof and have software made for motorcycle use?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Why not spending a little more for a device that has a mount that wil hold up, be water- schock- and fuel proof and have software made for motorcycle use?

Does the same for the needs I have.

180€ vs 420€ (zumo xt)🙊

3 hours ago, gerbuuu said:

Does the same for the needs I have.

180€ vs 420€ (zumo xt)🙊

Unless it rains 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Installed the Garmin zumo xt. Waiting for the correct connection plug from Amazon that will fit the auxiliary plug on the right side 

Today, with the help of a great friend, we installed the Outback Motortek crash bars, (the blue is awesome), Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips, and Barkbuster handguards 🤘🏍

343D81DE-9CF8-4927-A524-448FFFBB537A.jpeg

171864B5-E7B0-48DE-8309-AE317B3BEA6F.jpeg

2DC18BA2-6C8F-44B7-9CED-D68147E50F5B.jpeg

5E918F2A-720C-41D5-A97F-4954F8F7EE6A.jpeg

809D13F9-8A90-4EEB-8373-0C40837ED933.jpeg

CA22C9D1-1093-46C5-B180-A91577B2DBF3.jpeg

Edited by ngam
add space between photos
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ngam said:

Today, with the help of a great friend, we installed the Outback Motortek crash bars, (the blue is awesome), Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips, and Barkbuster handguards 🤘🏍

343D81DE-9CF8-4927-A524-448FFFBB537A.jpeg

171864B5-E7B0-48DE-8309-AE317B3BEA6F.jpeg

2DC18BA2-6C8F-44B7-9CED-D68147E50F5B.jpeg

5E918F2A-720C-41D5-A97F-4954F8F7EE6A.jpeg

809D13F9-8A90-4EEB-8373-0C40837ED933.jpeg

CA22C9D1-1093-46C5-B180-A91577B2DBF3.jpeg

Nice! Any pro tips installing the oxford adventure grips? Just got mine today $90 on Amazon. What was the best route for the wires?

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 3:00 PM, jdub53 said:

I bought one of those (Zumo XT) last week along with a second cradle and power cord so I can use it on both bikes. Used it for the first time yesterday during a ride on my BMW, and 30 minutes in started getting an intermittent message that external power had been lost and the screen dimmed. Within 30 seconds the screen got bright again, and I each time I confirmed that then the battery indicator showed it was charging/getting external power. 

After an hour of this game, external power never came back but I knew the connection I'd made at the battery was solid. I decided to keep going just using the unit's battery, but then figured I should turn off the unit until I really needed it in unfamiliar areas. Problem was, it kept turning itself back on within 10 seconds of me pressing its on/off switch and continued to run on its own battery power. I stopped in a town with a phone signal and called Garmin. The rep thought the circuit breaker within the power cable might be bad (no manual reset as the unit is sealed) and was randomly cycling on and off, but said the GPS may also be bad and asked me to do more troubleshooting once home.

Then I remembered I had an identical but untried set-up on the T7, so I headed home with the GPS in the tankbag. Once home I popped the Zumo into the T7's cradle and after an hour ride with no issues confirmed they'd shipped a bad power cable with the Zumo XT. Called Garmin back and, after saying they'd never heard of such an issue before, they've got a new power cable and cradle on the way to me. Not a good start, but hopefully this takes care of the issue.

I've been having problems with my XT lately.  It has spent all of its life on Garmins hard mounts (on 3 different vehicles) and has worked fine.  We took a trip south and I thought I'd use that instead of the car's outdated GPS.  So I set up a temp mount and plugged the XT into the power on the back and to the car's USB.  No go. Can't get the XT to power on.  It just flickers power and shuts off. I then took it into the house and plugged directly into a wall charger like I would for software updates.  No go. Just turns on for a second and goes out.  Now I'm getting nervous that the device itself has gone bad.  I then went back out to the garage and put it back into the cradle on the T7 and it powered up as normal.  Not sure what to make of all that.  Your post reminded me of this issue and I'm trying to leave it plugged into the wall charger for a while and see if I can do a software update.🤞

Edited by DT675