Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tubeless rim options for the Tenere?

Tazmool

13 hours ago, Rich TT said:

I've got a complete set of wheels with off road tyres and narrow rear rim. Rally Raid built them up and @Ktmmitch did a cracking job.

I mounted OEM Yamaha discs and @Aleksandar13 machined some ABS rings. No need for separate sprocket carrier or cush drives.

The whole job is 10 mins tops and of course the chain tension is already set. I have a centre stand, so makes it even easier.

I'm made up with this, as now have 2 bikes in one.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20200724_172112.jpg

This is awesome, exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to do.

So I'm a total off-road newbie... I've read that one should always disable ABS when heading off-road... is that right? If so, could I skip the ABS rings on the off-road wheels, or will that create hassles I'm not aware of? Asking because I have no idea where to start to get some for myself since I'm in the USA.

I also don't know how to choose between the Woody's, Alpina, Rally Raid, etc wheels. I'm not worried as much about cost (though not into wasting money if it's not getting me better quality or less work for me).

I feel like I'm likely to make a mistake ordering, for example I was just going to go with the Alpina recommendation for my T7 of stock-size wheels but tubeless... but a narrower rear makes sense for the off-road wheel.

Maybe I should just copycat exactly what you did on your bike but get matte black wheels and call it good... looks like you've done the thinking for me 🙂

Any suggestions welcome, thank you!

Hi @nhs503.

Definitely disable the ABS when riding off road. It kicks in constantly and makes it quite dangerous. You want to be able to lock the rear etc.

I don't know but, but guessing you'd get warning dash lights if you removed the ABS rings. 

@Aleksandar13 makes and sells them on here and much cheaper than Yamaha ones.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

ABS rings are not an issue and shipping to us is not expensive as they fit inside a letter... I've shipped over 30 pairs all over the world with no issues... When you are ready message me, I think I have some at home in the sizes that I've done for @Rich TT.

Aleks 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

ABS rings are not an issue and shipping to us is not expensive as they fit inside a letter... I've shipped over 30 pairs all over the world with no issues... When you are ready message me, I think I have some at home in the sizes that I've done for @Rich TT.

Aleks 

Msg sent, thank you!

• Like 1

So I’ve been debating pulling the trigger on a set of Alpina’s for a few months and got my first flat (rear) yesterday.  Attempting to break the bead roadside has helped my decision making process! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2020 at 7:21 AM, Rich TT said:

I've got a complete set of wheels with off road tyres and narrow rear rim. Rally Raid built them up and @Ktmmitch did a cracking job.

I mounted OEM Yamaha discs and @Aleksandar13 machined some ABS rings. No need for separate sprocket carrier or cush drives.

The whole job is 10 mins tops and of course the chain tension is already set. I have a centre stand, so makes it even easier.

I'm made up with this, as now have 2 bikes in one.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20200724_172112.jpg

Hi, I am also looking at the RR tubeless wheels. Ideally I am after a spare set of wheels. Is this what you have? Or did you have to get extra bits to end up with fully kitted new wheels? What are the extra bits needed? Sorry for the basis questions ... Cheers  

8 hours ago, Treps said:

Hi, I am also looking at the RR tubeless wheels. Ideally I am after a spare set of wheels. Is this what you have? Or did you have to get extra bits to end up with fully kitted new wheels? What are the extra bits needed? Sorry for the basis questions ... Cheers  

They're actually the tubed Excel version that they sell. The front is the same dimension as OEM but the rear is narrower to accept real off road rubber. The wheels come complete from Rally Raid and I bought tyres and tubes and @Ktmmitchfrom Rally Raid fitted and shipped them.

I just bought brand new front and rear disks plus bolts from Yamaha and @Aleksandar13 machined me two ABS rings. I just swap the cush drive and sprocket from one set to the other. It's literally a 10 min swap. I have a centre stand and front wheel paddock stand. Don't even take the front calipers off. Just in and out.

It's a bit of an investment but worth it for me as you truly get two bikes in one.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 4

On 11/16/2020 at 7:12 AM, Rich TT said:

They're actually the tubed Excel version that they sell. The front is the same dimension as OEM but the rear is narrower to accept real off road rubber. The wheels come complete from Rally Raid and I bought tyres and tubes and @Ktmmitchfrom Rally Raid fitted and shipped them.

I just bought brand new front and rear disks plus bolts from Yamaha and @Aleksandar13 machined me two ABS rings. I just swap the cush drive and sprocket from one set to the other. It's literally a 10 min swap. I have a centre stand and front wheel paddock stand. Don't even take the front calipers off. Just in and out.

It's a bit of an investment but worth it for me as you truly get two bikes in one.

Cheers

Rich

Hi. My misunderstanding, I thought you had gone tubeless. I now see the Exel option on RR you mention. How are you finding the narrow 2.5" rear rim on roads? I am after a tubeless option but thinking of a narrower rear rim (3" more likely). Cheers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Treps said:

Hi. My misunderstanding, I thought you had gone tubeless. I now see the Exel option on RR you mention. How are you finding the narrow 2.5" rear rim on roads? I am after a tubeless option but thinking of a narrower rear rim (3" more likely). Cheers 

2.5" on the road is fine. The biggest difference is not the rim diameter but the tyre vs the amazing STR 150 road tyre. I can spin up the Kenda big block at will on the road. But it's fun and is controlled! The front feels heavier steering but that's more likely the 24 PSI. Off road it's so much better in every way.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 2

I just tried to experiment so I took the front wheel off the Tenere and attempted to break the bead so I would be able to change or patch the tube in the field. I finally managed to remove the tire off of the rim but it took about an hour and a LOT of fussing and cussing. I then tried the same on the rear and ended up taking the complete wheel to my local motorcycle dealer and even he had a HARD time using his tire machine. Bottom line is I don’t think I could ever repair a flat on the trail. I contacted Woody’s Wheel Works in Colorado and I am having tubeless rims mounted on my hubs and the anti-leak treatment will be done on both wheels. I know that I can plug a tire and get back on the bike and ride it back home! Has anybody else attempted to repair a flat?

Edited by Mike S
Spelling
  • Like 2

I was going on a camp and ride with my ADV pals on a Double Black Diamond sandy loop in San Diego.

I was going to mount my new Mitas tires on the stock rims, since my Alpina rims still have not been shipped.

Long story short, I couldn't find my three long tire spoons so I made do with what I had in my trail tool kit by myself (short BeadPro Bead Breaker and a single tire lever).  I could not break the bead of the rear tire, I got the front tire nearly off. 

Then I remembered how hard the Mitas E-07+ side walls were and how stiff. I remounted the front stock tire and aired up the rear, so I could be at the camp site on time.

I thought I could do both tire swaps in the morning before heading out, didn't know it would be so difficult. Had I found my large tire spoons I may have been able to do it.

I can just imagine now getting a tube flat with the tools I carry off roading. At least I would be with friends that could help and their extra tools.

I'll be feel better with the Alpina rims when the eventually arrive.

4 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

I was going on a camp and ride with my ADV pals on a Double Black Diamond sandy loop in San Diego.

I was going to mount my new Mitas tires on the stock rims, since my Alpina rims still have not been shipped.

Long story short, I couldn't find my three long tire spoons so I made do with what I had in my trail tool kit by myself (short BeadPro Bead Breaker and a single tire lever).  I could not break the bead of the rear tire, I got the front tire nearly off. 

Then I remembered how hard the Mitas E-07+ side walls were and how stiff. I remounted the front stock tire and aired up the rear, so I could be at the camp site on time.

I thought I could do both tire swaps in the morning before heading out, didn't know it would be so difficult. Had I found my large tire spoons I may have been able to do it.

I can just imagine now getting a tube flat with the tools I carry off roading. At least I would be with friends that could help and their extra tools.

You have a link for that.? Please and thanks. I’m looking at replacing the front and not the rear.

Hi,

I am new to ADV biking, and brand new to this site..  I really would like to convert my Tenere to tubeless.  Can anyone suggest the best and most cost effective way to do this.  Thanks

On 11/21/2020 at 9:02 AM, REDHORSECA said:

Before I bought my T7 I bought Mitas E-07s for my KLR 650. Man, when I tried to mount those tires I found it impossible. I did some research and came across the method of using large zip-ties to help mounting and even dismounting tires. OMG! Using zip-ties changes the game completely. What was impossible suddenly became pretty easy. For me using zip ties and GALLONs of windex is the key. I never go on a ride without my tire change kit and the large zip-ties live under my seat. I've practiced this so many times on my front lawn that I never worry about getting a flat when riding alone. Check out YouTube to find some tutorials on using zip-ties and then practice. Although I have to admit I haven't yet tried removing one of the stock tires on my T7, but that might have to wait until spring as it is currently -20C where I live.

• Like 2

I can relate to the difficulty of changing the tires - I have a no-mar tire machine, and there were still two wheels i could not do, one was a big harley rear wheel, and the other was the front off my XR400 dirt bike for some reason. That would NOT come off. 

This is a good video on doing the tires trail side - I really like this guys newer vids

Has anyone used bead seal? I am currently having tubeless rims laced up and they recommend using bead seal when installing the tires. And they suggest that the tires are from a major manufacturer as they tend to seal better and avoid some of the leakage found on cheaper tires from smaller producers - I don’t want to pass on the names as I currently have those tires on my GS and I am not having ANY issues!

16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Has anyone used bead seal? I am currently having tubeless rims laced up and they recommend using bead seal when installing the tires. And they suggest that the tires are from a major manufacturer as they tend to seal better and avoid some of the leakage found on cheaper tires from smaller producers - I don’t want to pass on the names as I currently have those tires on my GS and I am not having ANY issues!

Yes i had to use bead seal on my front.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 9/22/2020 at 8:23 PM, REDHORSECA said:

Give him some time. He is currently on a long road trip, sure he hasn't had the time to get into details while he is currently traveling on the road. He is now in Wy. He's had a few more issues with the rear wheel losing air, temporary inner tube is shot, and was stranded by the side of the road. Service vehicle got him to the next town. He has a new tire being overnighted to him.

@REDHORSECA Regarding the fast deflation experienced by Longhaulpaul, for those of us not on Facebook,  any update on the details? Oh, never mind,  I see @Longhaulpaul is a member here.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...

Question-  I use 3M VHB at work (this stuff is NO JOKE!)  A friend of mine works at Chicago O’Hare airport in facilities maintenance and VHB is all they use to affix the mirrored panels to the ceiling in the tunnel that leads from the main concourse to Terminal 1 (it’s a long pedestrian walkway with moving sidewalk and the walls and ceiling are completely covered in mirrored panels)

Anyhow- I digress.  Just wanted to state it’s incredible strength. 

Here’s my idea- just looking for opinions.  When my tires get swapped, I was thinking I’d VHB my wheels and also install a tube.  

Would this not be the best of both worlds?

On 1/16/2021 at 11:36 AM, kyle01 said:

Question-  I use 3M VHB at work (this stuff is NO JOKE!)  A friend of mine works at Chicago O’Hare airport in facilities maintenance and VHB is all they use to affix the mirrored panels to the ceiling in the tunnel that leads from the main concourse to Terminal 1 (it’s a long pedestrian walkway with moving sidewalk and the walls and ceiling are completely covered in mirrored panels)

Anyhow- I digress.  Just wanted to state it’s incredible strength. 

Here’s my idea- just looking for opinions.  When my tires get swapped, I was thinking I’d VHB my wheels and also install a tube.  

Would this not be the best of both worlds?

Not sure why you would bother if you are running a tube. The rims have a rim band in them already, so that protects the tube. I’m not sure I would bother removing that and retaking it. 

I just pulled my rims and tires and am about to embark on installing the Outex kit. I tried dismounting the rear bead using my hand tools and it was a no gone, that bead was really set hard. Would have been impossible on the trail with the tools I had on the bike. Front was easy.  

very excited to run tubless on this bike, I have had three nails in my rear tire in one day ride, with tubless tires it was a twenty minute fix, with tubes I would have been toast since I would have had one spare tube, and some patches. Not sure how well patches hold up but I have run those tubless plugs with the glue for thousands of miles with no I’ll effects.

Mike

Only reason I was even thinking about it was due to the fact that I’ve got the VHB on hand... just thinking belt and suspenders... although I’ve never had much issue with running tubes on all my bikes with the exception of a rear bib on a dirtbike for a short period...

Just out of curiosity- did you try to unseat the bead using hand tools?  I’ve always used the bikes side stand to pop the bead (at least on the trail, I’ve got a cheap bead breaker in my garage)   Have you tried that method?  Works a treat!

On 12/25/2019 at 4:42 AM, NickT7 said:

Hello, just another question.  I am looking for the right inner tube size for my rear wheel and I cannot find the right size on the internet for 150/70 R18.  Do you know what standard inner tube is in the rear wheel?  thanks in advance! 

Nick

Here is the tube that was removed from the rear wheel. Looks like it can fit several wheel sizes !

IMG_1427.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1