Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tubeless rim options for the Tenere?

Tazmool

5 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

cool. I wish I had seen this I bought an external TPMS kit. 

man I HATE the monitor on mine though, looks similar to yours. The battery just does not last. If I leave it overnight and it’s cold, dead the next day. If I manually turn it off after I am done for the day it seems ok.

do you know, are those internal ones compatible with tire sealant?

Mike

Good to know about the battery. Worse comes to worse I’ll run a USB charger line to it. 

don’t know about the sealant and the TPMS. I would guess since most are but have no real idea  hoping I don’t need sealant when I’m done.  Will be mounting Motoz Rallz tubeless both front and back. 

On 3/18/2021 at 6:12 PM, Mike S said:

Had a Continental TKC 70 mounted on the front wheel and a Continental TKC 70 Rocks on the rear from Woody’s Wheel Works with the Outex kit. Also had the local guys use bead seal just to play it safe. The weather in Ohio warmed up a couple of weeks ago so I filled the Tenere to 32 front and 36 rear and put about 150 highway miles on it and then put her away. Checked them out yesterday and only lost a single pound in each. Definitely better than I expected!

Do you have a review of the RTKC70 tires on the T7?

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, Liquidape said:

Good to know about the battery. Worse comes to worse I’ll run a USB charger line to it. 

don’t know about the sealant and the TPMS. I would guess since most are but have no real idea  hoping I don’t need sealant when I’m done.  Will be mounting Motoz Rallz tubeless both front and back. 

Well the internal sensor only fits the rear wheel. The vendor however was very cool and sent me an external sensor gratis when I emailed them explaining the issue.   Got the TPM working on both wheels and mounted it where the rubber blanking plug is opposite of the 12v jack. 3549F714-62F1-4867-8438-7ADF7A410266.thumb.jpeg.1647906ec5392a035b2d99dbaf9a494b.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on the doing the 3M tape.    What width tape is good for 1 wrap?   My  measurement from the outside of the rim is about 60 mm rear,  25 mm front.     

30 minutes ago, papab said:

I'm planning on the doing the 3M tape.    What width tape is good for 1 wrap?   My  measurement from the outside of the rim is about 60 mm rear,  25 mm front.     

2” 3M 4412 for the rear.

I did mine recently, sealed the spokes then one wrap. Zero pressure loss.

I decided against doing the front, still running a tube with Ride On sealant. The front not having the safety bead deterred me from going tubeless. That and I have a new set of tubeless wheels on order!

• Like 2

Tip:

From my many yrs w/  tubliss use, i coat the tire bead w/ slime sealant - put some on your fingers, rub a light coat along the outer tire bead- during install. Stan's sealant will also work. This extra step  helps to create a tight seal against the wheel rim and whatever imperfections / mold marks exists on tire bead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, Burner said:

2” 3M 4412 for the rear.

I did mine recently, sealed the spokes then one wrap. Zero pressure loss.

I decided against doing the front, still running a tube with Ride On sealant. The front not having the safety bead deterred me from going tubeless. That and I have a new set of tubeless wheels on order!

What did you use to seal the spoke nipples or just use a small piece of the 3M 4412N on the nipples?

Thanks

On 6/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, Burner said:

I have a new set of tubeless wheels on order!

Which wheels did you order?

I think I have Yamaha disease...

2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Which wheels did you order?

Bart Factory

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bighopper said:

What did you use to seal the spoke nipples or just use a small piece of the 3M 4412N on the nipples?

Thanks

Permatex The Right Stuff.

Easy to use, just take your time cleaning and prepping. I wire brushed the hell out of the spoke nipples first.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 5:40 AM, roy826 said:

Had my first flat on the T7 yesterday. About 6 miles from my house and I was riding with a friend so he doubled me back to my house and I got my truck and trailer and went back to pick up the T7. Pulled the rear wheel at my house and slapped a new tube in the rear and shes good to go. It was an old piece of metal that once was a weird type nail. I felt it when I hit it, never saw it in the roadway. Tire was completely flat about a mile after hitting it.

What tube size did you install?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave W. said:

What tube size did you install?

@DaveW 

Welcome to the forum.  If you use @ in front of the user name they'll be notified of your question@roy826

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Not being a gnarly off-road rider but more of a back road/forest service/gravel road rider, I knew buying the T7, if it worked for me, tubeless tires were going to happen sometime. After a long weekend ride and camping trip a while back, my choice to replace the S1o and WR250 with the T7 seems to be a great move. 

So the search for what option ended up with me ordering the Bart Factory option also, after a helpful conversation with Burner. Like everyone it seems, they are backed up with supply issues, but they should have my wheels sometime this summer. 

BTW, in the process of getting info from them, they told me they have a new 1.85 x 21" wheel coming in with the anti-beading rim, as they call it, for use with tubeless tires. Since it will be available well before the 2.15" option, that is what I have coming, along with the 4.25" rear.

A lot of $$ but the last time I bought a new bike instead of used (1983 BMW R100RS), I rode it for 16 years, so the investment should be worth it! That's my story, I'm sticking to it! 😉

So, I switched over to the T700 for my daily commuting until the tires were worn through. I've waited long enough to finally mount the Alpina wheel set. It took about 3-4 weeks (2,000 miles) @ 8300 miles before the front and rear tires were worn out.

9YKynZC.jpg

The Alpina STS2 wheel set arrived earlier this year, they were pre-ordered in September of last year. I kept them in the shipping box until this past Friday.

hMZ1neF.jpg?1

I put the rear tire and wheel on this past Friday, in time for my ADV off road ride in the local mountains. I road on the basically bald front OEM tire off-road. I couldn't get the new front tire seated onto the new front rim in time for the ADV ride. YT Ride short Video

After the ADV ride with my pals. The local Motorcycle service shops were all closed on Sun - Mon. I tried all kinds of tricks (hours) at home to seat the front tire, like the ratchet strap trick. I was going to do the flammable liquid (carb cleaner) trick, but decided not to play with fire with my new wheel just yet.

So I went to two automotive tire shops on Monday to see if they could seat the front tire and blast it with air. First auto tire shop will not work on motorcycle tires, even though the wheel was off the bike.

2nd auto tire shop was more than willing to help freely. They used an air tank [1] [2] like this to air blast into the tubeless tire side wall and rim gap to seat the tire onto the rim. It worked in 1 second. I may have to get one of these if I continue having problems with new tires seating onto the rims.

71+xLjHOfLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So I got the new front wheel mounted onto the bike Monday afternoon. Rode the T700 to work these last few days. All good to go for the next ADV adventure ride!

TLnMy9Q.jpg

That's one good thing about the Pirelli STR tires, they worked great on California grooved highways up to 100+. No front wheel wobble for me. I just didn't care for them off-road.

These are Mitas E-10 Dual Sport 40/60 tubeless tires, I have the Mitas E-07+ 50/50 on the rear wheel. A very slight front wheel wobble at 80+ mph on California grooved highways, but I'm fine with it. I'll see if it changes once the tire is worn in some more.

uNOJXs5.jpg

I don't have to worry so much about getting flats now. They can be easily plugged up in minutes. I'm not on the side of the desert trail for an hour+ and get heat stroke in the 100+ degree weather.

Also, no worries about the corroded spokes, these are black. 😉 hehe 

I have to justify the expense of the wheels somehow. 🙂

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find what size metal Valve stem to use. Tubes are 8mm, but valve stems seem to be bigger.

TR416 seems to be the one, but not sure!

Any info?

Thanks

PS. Still waiting for Motoz tires to arrive, 1 month past delivery so far.

3 hours ago, Bighopper said:

Trying to find what size metal Valve stem to use. Tubes are 8mm, but valve stems seem to be bigger.

TR416 seems to be the one, but not sure!

Any info?

Thanks

PS. Still waiting for Motoz tires to arrive, 1 month past delivery so far.

CA0BF635-C515-4B25-AD1B-97623173EF7A.thumb.jpeg.705494cd62c5184796901bd4499b881f.jpeg

this one works. There may be others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquidape said:

this one works. There may be others. 

That would work, But not available in Canada...shipping is more than the item.

The TR416  I mention is a common unit but the hole dia is 11.5mm to 15.85mm. Searching Amazon.ca I can't locate the unit you mentioned.

Just found it on Fortnine.ca @ $6.76 +shipping will have to see if I need anything else there.

Thanks

Edited by Bighopper
Found on Fortnine

34 minutes ago, Bighopper said:

That would work, But not available in Canada...shipping is more than the item.

The TR416  I mention is a common unit but the hole dia is 11.5mm to 15.85mm. Searching Amazon.ca I can't locate the unit you mentioned.

Thanks

Unless you want to drill out your wheels you will need an 8mm dia stem. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this, so here is what's I'm planning to do, and I'd appreciate any advice.

Excel 7000 2.15 front rim and lacing it with a local mechanic. These  and stock rims require 8M spokes right?
Then seal the rim with 3M 4412N tape. What I need to decide is how to seal spokes beads. I read that sealing them with silicon might become a problem if I need to rebalance the wheel later. Is it true, and what is a way to go here skipping Outex patches?
The rear wheel has enough hump to hold the tire right?

Edited by Baramon

Packages arrived today from Italy!

IMG_3348.thumb.jpeg.a6e7610aae02a5b3cdbad0576ce0cf0e.jpeg

This is what they look like:

IMG_3349.thumb.jpeg.603d6d4cce1d41b3dff7b1c9bdf97186.jpeg

Very slick design and look like they should do the job. Each comes with a warranty card attached.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of other projects taking my time, so the tires won't get mounted until later this week but after having a flat because I screwed up a tire change a caused a tube failure, I am ready to go tubeless!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wncrider said:

Packages arrived today from Italy!

IMG_3348.thumb.jpeg.a6e7610aae02a5b3cdbad0576ce0cf0e.jpeg

This is what they look like:

IMG_3349.thumb.jpeg.603d6d4cce1d41b3dff7b1c9bdf97186.jpeg

Very slick design and look like they should do the job. Each comes with a warranty card attached.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of other projects taking my time, so the tires won't get mounted until later this week but after having a flat because I screwed up a tire change a caused a tube failure, I am ready to go tubeless!

Not sure if you already posted this. What was the price and lead time?

Thanks

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

27 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Not sure if you already posted this. What was the price and lead time?

Thanks

Not cheap! 😒 Almost $1,900 with stainless spokes and their hub, including shipping. I priced out Excel rims built by others with the Outex. Not that much cheaper but no air loss warranty. Bart Factory has a 4 year warranty against their system failing. Ordered early June. Think someone canceled or something because it was supposed to be later this summer.

Big expense but as I posted earlier, I kept one new bike for 16 years and another for 15. I intend to ride this thing for a while. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😉

• Like 3

Thanks for the info!

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

I got rims from BARTubless also.  I went through Rally Raid.  I love them!!

PXL_20210222_170228675.jpg

PXL_20210320_204049141.jpg

Edited by Gekkdroid
  • Like 2

Rally Raid was my first option but I thought their web site said no shipping to the US? PA still was in the US when I last went there in May! 😄

Edited to add: Actually, I now remember they could not accept OEM wheel trade-ins from outside the UK, not ship the wheels. I plead senility! I just decided without the cost offset of the trade-in to deal with the factory. They were great but like everyone, the COVID supply chain issues affect them. 

Edited by wncrider