Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

Seriously though, I don't even notice the grips, I must have thicker gloves than some.  Certainly not those light looking colored ones I see in the vids, I use heavy leather and they are armored in the knuckles.

If anyone is looking for good ones to buy, the ProGrip 714's are great and last much longer than pillow-tops (which I also love). They're thick and come with valleys for safety wire. The racket wrap alarmingly similar haha!

I didn't spend much time with the stock ones. Wouldn't even ride a sportbike with those things. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the stock grips where shockingly bad.  

Just went with heated grips myself; Oxford's grips themselves are pretty comfortable anyways, and life without heated grips isn't life at all. 

• Like 2

Installed my new Mosko Nomax:

20220817_102831.jpg.899d39117fdfd01ac7b3c7f9055cb6c8.jpg

20220817_102856.jpg.22df569b7cfca95fdd231f6db9577987.jpg

20220817_102934.jpg.95b23c55cb3500f4efc299385c9ef680.jpg

Quite happy with the fit and mounting. No limitations when seating or standing.

VERY good quality, tough materials, the organizing features are great.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 11:56 PM, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, the stock grips where shockingly bad.  

Just went with heated grips myself; Oxford's grips themselves are pretty comfortable anyways, and life without heated grips isn't life at all. 

I did the same.  I find the Oxford grips abnormally hard though.  The one thing saving them for me is that they feel like they are a slight larger diameter than OEM which gives a different sort of comfort with a relaxed grip on them.

@DT675

I just slipped some Grab-On foam grip covers, slight increase in grip diameter a plus for long fingers. 

Guts down on vibration, makes for a very comfortable grip with just a few minutes install and I think I paid around $12 for the Grab-On's.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@DT675

I just slipped some Grab-On foam grip covers, slight increase in grip diameter a plus for long fingers. 

Guts down on vibration, makes for a very comfortable grip with just a few minutes install and I think I paid around $12 for the Grab-On's.

I am using Grip Puppies, very similar. Great upgrade for bigger hands!

• Like 3

Just bought and installed a shorter windscreen from Puig:

20220818_154054.jpg.f53ea5b35f56417c1e8d5bf98b6fd183.jpg

20220818_154115.jpg.c5df42fdcd0f3d69fb64da6e72d7f450.jpg

It's the lightly tinted one.

I like the look of the original screen, but wind noises were really annoying with it. Direct air flow when standing produces much lower noise, as you all probably know already.

This short one is better, although not perfect - it is roughly 5cm/2" shorter.

Riding without any windscreen at all was a little bit better still, but the noise level was still higher compared to a standing position.

For my taste, a higher screen is a no go, so this is the best workaround for me right now.

• Like 3

@UtahJack @Tenerider Thanks for the suggestions.  The Grab-ons look thin enought to do the trick.  I have heated grips though so they woud have to be easily removable hopfully without destroying them.  And Im guessing if that were the case they would probably spin?  Anyone had these *with heated grips?  I suppose at $12 I could put a set on per summer and just toss them in the fall too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DT675 said:

@UtahJack @Tenerider Thanks for the suggestions.  The Grab-ons look thin enought to do the trick.  I have heated grips though so they woud have to be easily removable hopfully without destroying them.  And Im guessing if that were the case they would probably spin?  Anyone had these *with heated grips?  I suppose at $12 I could put a set on per summer and just toss them in the fall too.

At least grip puppies are quite firm once installed. I'd say there is a 50% chance getting them off without destroying them.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:22 AM, Tenerider said:

Just bought and installed a shorter windscreen from Puig:

20220818_154054.jpg.f53ea5b35f56417c1e8d5bf98b6fd183.jpg

20220818_154115.jpg.c5df42fdcd0f3d69fb64da6e72d7f450.jpg

It's the lightly tinted one.

I like the look of the original screen, but wind noises were really annoying with it. Direct air flow when standing produces much lower noise, as you all probably know already.

This short one is better, although not perfect - it is roughly 5cm/2" shorter.

Riding without any windscreen at all was a little bit better still, but the noise level was still higher compared to a standing position.

For my taste, a higher screen is a no go, so this is the best workaround for me right now.

I've been trying different screen combos and also agree that no screen produces the closest level of noise compared to standing up. I think I will be ordering a Sport Screen as well, seems to be the best option. I wish I was lucky enough as other riders to not be bothered by the wind noise off the OEM screen! 

• Like 1

Also considering cutting down my existing OEM screen to save a bit of coin.

27 minutes ago, TeneRico700 said:

Also considering cutting down my existing OEM screen to save a bit of coin.

Thought about this as well - but I think I would have messed it up 😄

I like the idea but i probably not going for a shorter screen to protect my GPS i have mounted above the display.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TeneRico700 said:

I've been trying different screen combos and also agree that no screen produces the closest level of noise compared to standing up. I think I will be ordering a Sport Screen as well, seems to be the best option. I wish I was lucky enough as other riders to not be bothered by the wind noise off the OEM screen! 

Have you tried other helmets? I am lucky enough to have several ADV and Touring. Different helmets have different wind noise levels. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I like the idea but i probably not going for a shorter screen to protect my GPS i have mounted above the display.

I have the same wind noise issues.  Has anyone tried modifying the factory screen?  Adding something to the top, say a bead or a riser of some description?  I might look into my bag of tricks, grab some flexible foam, I have some round sections, and slit them and push them on the top edge.  Odd they didn't wind tunnel the damn thing while it was in production.

5 minutes ago, winddown said:

I have the same wind noise issues.  Has anyone tried modifying the factory screen?  Adding something to the top, say a bead or a riser of some description?  I might look into my bag of tricks, grab some flexible foam, I have some round sections, and slit them and push them on the top edge.  Odd they didn't wind tunnel the damn thing while it was in production.

I added the Touratech windshield riser and then added this attachment. To me, the wind noise is the same but I used to only be able to stand ( wind pressure) to 50-55mph and now I can stand at 65mph - same noise level - I am 5'10"

image.png.d0969d6b9b0e047721e3787acd17c5d6.png

Added some cheap protection for the paint.  Looks good I reckon.

Also picked up a smaller (5L) Givi tank bag.

Getting ready for a long weekend away next weekend.

IMG-2184.jpg

IMG-2185.jpg

IMG-2186.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NeilW said:

Have you tried other helmets? I am lucky enough to have several ADV and Touring. Different helmets have different wind noise levels. 

Got only one, which I bought especially because it fits my rather long head. I guess it will take a few years until I'll upgrade to an Arai, Shoei or so.

I found that my phone (mounted on the utility bar above the speedo) is still well protected from wind, no more wobbling than with OEM screen. But yes, it will catch some bugs and perhaps rain. I don't really care about that.

@winddown have a look at this thread:

• Like 3

Am I the only one farkling at the moment?

Added Kedo 31055R rear rack and Acerbis X-Grip frame protectors:

20220820_194830.jpg.36e85328d37a1490fcac6dedff206629.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NeilW said:

very true, i’ve thought many times that it’s likely to do with my Shoei, it’s my first ADV style helmet as i’ve always ran RF’s before getting an X2.

13 hours ago, Tenerider said:

@winddown have a look at this thread:

Shet!  You should have warned me, I just woke up and hadn't even had my first coffee yet.  Everyone!  Beware, don't read that thread on an empty stomach.

Well the screen issue certainly opens a can of worms doesn't it TR.  I'm going to have to think for a change whereas up until now it was just "Scotts Damper?  Ok, I'll order one"

Thanks for the info.

• Haha 1

I decided to fit the Mosko heat shield to my pipe, I don't know if it matters considering the saddlebags I use don't go near it but what the hell, better have it there and not need it than need it and not have it fitted.

60305017_T7MOSKOGUARD.jpg.ae48ecd31372fceea66de6dc0a7ea659.jpg

I fitted these pivot pegs a few weeks back and have gotten used to them now, they make quite a difference and feel very natural.  I intend to lower them soon, though I don't know if it will make a lot of difference as I still have to basically lift my foot off the peg to twist it under because the teeth really hold my foot in whatever position it's in.

67696539_T7PEGZZ.jpg.6e51a477122c86a187a143ba0b457588.jpg

• Like 1