Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

7 hours ago, X Plane said:

Keep us posted on how it performs.

Really impressed with it so far. Not been off road as it's a road tour and 1200 miles in so far, but all really bumpy back/tiny roads. I set the sag up properly before I went but left everything else the same for now. 

I can just describe it as much more taut but the big hits are soaked up much better and more controlled even with the luggage. When I get back I'm going to put my off road wheels in and test it properly off road.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20210701_094405.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Really impressed with it so far. Not been off road as it's a road tour and 1200 miles in so far, but all really bumpy back/tiny roads. I set the sag up properly before I went but left everything else the same for now. 

I can just describe it as much more taut but the big hits are soaked up much better and more controlled even with the luggage. When I get back I'm going to put my off road wheels in and test it properly off road.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20210701_094405.jpg

Cool, Rich. Thanks. Enjoy Trip, look forward to updates

I’m not long back from 1200 miles in Scotland in 6 days on the mega MT-10.

Belfast Ferry to Cairnryan then short ferry over to Dunoon, up back way to Inveraray, the Fortwilliam, Invergarry, Plockton, Applecross etc. Ullapool up to Durness on longest day 21st amazing fantastic. Smoo Cave etc.

9752EAF8-C7CA-476A-99A6-611B6C51EC4B.jpeg
Outside Tongue 

2A8E4CA7-3524-49DF-8B23-CCA16903E76E.jpeg

NW Coast 21st at 2 am Thurso

1E6D1774-1F7F-40D4-9573-76FB45D7C7E4.jpeg
kylesku bridge

99D69884-59D3-4175-9A28-C9E1562B7B60.jpeg

Back route to Inveraray 

53A5709B-D863-40CA-A0D0-4F8C60385544.jpeg
Plockton 👍

Hi Bill, brilliant set up. I’m trying to make contact with the Huzar guys to buy the high exhaust, you mentioned the side racks were standard Yamaha, the right side looks tight to the exhaust which is what I’m looking for, is it symmetrical to the left side? Do you have a link for the side racks?  Normally the right side sticks out quite a bit with the stock exhaust but I’m looking for a more streamlined look, pretty much the same as yours. Thanks for sharing, cheers Guy 
   On 3/2/2020 at 2:42 PM,  r2r said: 

Exellent job with this exhaust. Looks great.

Where did you buy those side racks ?

The side frames are gen yamaha but the right hand one i had to alter to take givi outback cases that i already had from my 

xtz 6601160274718_mar2020126.thumb.JPG.4d91e94fc908c122aa83282682e4c749.JPG

On 6/18/2021 at 2:00 AM, bctz123 said:

Installed the MIVV carbon exhaust.

Aesthetically this is the most pleasing to look at.  How loud is this compared to stock? How about weight? (not looking for measured weight, just rough idea)

Got rid of my front wobble (AKA front STR). But boy does the TKC80 fall into a corner quicker now!

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

My Oxford heated grips had a loose connection somewhere and would intermittently not work. Finally took the side panels off and checked the connections and found a loose pin (wasn't seated into the connector all the way). Fixed now, and I electrical wrapped the connections and zip tied them away nicely, so hopefully they stay working now!

I still need to stop procrastinating and bother to actually adjust my suspension for my fat ass though. That's next on the list.

• Like 1

I did some Dremel sculpting and cutting on my foot peg support plate to allow my shift lever more downward adjustment.  I have a 35” inseam and 15mm lowered SW Motech Ion foot pegs and the too high shift lever has been a source of irritation UNTIL today…….it is much better now.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:55 PM, CoreCass said:

finally fitted the t7 rally tail tidy.  some blinkers later on [shipment said 2 month's and turned a week later up]

but the tail tidy does not fit with oem luggage rack's.  so had to make my own cross pipe.

now as im a plumber i grabbed steel pipe end eyeballed it.  painted it and im happy with it.

still wanting some Australian rack's that require removal of the passenger peg's.  but till i get those these will do.

IMG_20201206_144026.thumb.jpg.f5d04adfa7b9269de4bcab742aa8e7d9.jpg

bar and tail tidy are 3 mm away from each other. should be fine.

still the original flash lights. week later added new ones.

IMG_20201206_144040.thumb.jpg.97dd1d556df2e55c625f29d93090dddb.jpg

painted and reworked the cross bar.

This looks like a pretty steep angle. Are you using T7Rally's standard tail tidy, or their 30* version?

Added the SW Motech Center-stand this afternoon. Makes an easy lift for the Tenere 700.

• Like 1

New Amazon MSZ Short levers. Decided to go with a little bling as well. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and build on these especially for only $35 for the set. Compared to other brands at over a $100 per lever these are a bargain. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5MQNOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T7 clutch lever.jpg

T7 Brake lever.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

This looks like a pretty steep angle. Are you using T7Rally's standard tail tidy, or their 30* version?

It's the Eu version.

• Thanks 1

Installed some products from Camel ADV.

1. 1-Finger Clutch Kit - I have no issue with the clutch pull (weight) but find the friction zone a bit narrow, so trying this kit to see if it will widen the friction zone. Hope I have this installed correctly. The arm is slightly offset from the stock piece. 543525167_CamelADV1-FingerClutchKit.thumb.jpg.b02212835119b97a289d6f56bd196f81.jpg
  2. Heavy-Duty Side Stand Spring - The Side Stand was already a bit floppy and with the addition of a Givi Side Stand Foot it got floppier and also contacts the Yamaha Center Stand. I ground on the foot to relieve the contact issues but the HD Spring is the hot ticket for keeping the side stand up where it belongs. I don't think this is a Camel ADV designed or manufactured product, but the fact that they provide it and it solves a problem totally works for me. 1468918276_HDSideStandSpring.thumb.jpg.273555887cd9c5da4a8da654a7707ce0.jpg
  3. Galfer Semi-Metalic Carbon Rear Brake Pads - No one really loves the T7 rear brake. I was OK with it until I rode with a new pair of boots and started smelling burning brakes. Turns out I was resting my toe on the brake lever. DOH! Don't think I did too much damage but more than enough excuse to upgrade the pads. The brake pad install is much more fiddly than it should be. Having to use multiple drift pins and a hammer instead of a wrench on a threaded bolt is beyond me. Honestly, it took me 3 tries to get it right. My problem was seating the forward hook of the inboard pad while holding the locating pin and the drift and the hammer. It's a 4-handed job because I'm not a certified tech.

Took about an hour to install all 3 items. I intend to get out early tomorrow morning before it hits 100F to bed in the new pads and test out and fine tune the clutch adjustment.

Gratuitous vendor promotion.

1411089734_CamelADVsticker.thumb.jpg.858c9a073bb87c332fb14d6fb8f2bf59.jpg

Post-ride follow-up on the 1-Finger Clutch Kit - Looks like my initial adjustment to get clutch free play was very close. I was concerned about it because I've done almost nothing with clutches except pull the lever and replace a cable. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I paid attention in class - I mean the install video on the Camel ADV website - good info there. 

Before riding the bike I did 2 static tests with the bike on the center stand.

1. Test for clutch engagement in neutral. Start bike in neutral. With a cold engine there is typically some drag or stiction that can cause the rear wheel to turn, which should go away once the engine oil is warm. Might not be any validity to this test but it's easy to check. - Pass

2. Test for disengagement with clutch pulled in. With bike on center stand, put it in first gear, let out the clutch, pull in the clutch and touch the rear brake until the wheel stops. The wheel should not turn while in gear with the clutch pulled in. - Pass

With those 2 conditions met, I figured I was in the ballpark and could take a test ride and get a feel for the engagement. As you can see from the photo and per Camel ADV recommendation, I started in the second hole. Lever pull is noticeably lighter and the friction zone is wider. It's a pretty friendly change as it took almost no time to get used to the new feel. After riding surface streets for a half hour, I made a small change at the clutch arm adjuster to increase lever free play by about 1mm. Free play was in spec before and after adjustment but now free play feels like it did before the new part.

Edited by Boondocker
post-install follow-up
  • Like 5

Looks good. How was the fit on your Givi side stand foot?

1 hour ago, kainic said:

Looks good. How was the fit on your Givi side stand foot?

The attachment of the Givi foot to the stand is good, uses 5 T25 bolts with a spacer and mounting plate. The problem with a bigger foot is clearance to the swingarm and to a center stand, at least for the OEM center stand. I've ground off as much of the foot as I can too improve clearance. The foot print is still plenty big. I don't know how any other foot compares in these regards.

Sprayed the back fender with platidip. Found out my soft bags from enduristan had made som pretty scratches on my last trip. (Read about the risk before i put them on, but i thought how bad can it be?) I guess it didn't help with a slide across some gravel at 60km/t.

*first post, yeey*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mutt said:

Tusk pannier racks and Tusk Olympus soft panniers installed.

20210718_112204.jpg

20210718_165133.jpg

im looking to go in the same direction, can you get us a few more shots?  Im trying to see if i can modify the racks for a high exhaust.  Hope to pull the right side racks in tight like the left side.

I will take a picture of the rear side so you can see the fitment close to the exhaust.

20210719_120656.jpg

Edited by Mutt
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 7:56 AM, Pohnjiper said:

I thought I’d polish her up and get her looking like she should! 🤣

fantastic day out riding the RallyMoto Pandemic Rally yesterday 😀

913F3D61-DBAE-4429-9539-000B449BCF57.jpeg

91483797-0C22-42EC-AC14-49F2272F5B93.jpeg

97C3DBE0-0FF8-404D-99C5-745555FEEF5A.jpeg

Hi there, what crash bars do you use? Givi?

8 hours ago, Guys said:

Hi there, what crash bars do you use? Givi?

They are OEM Yamaha

2 hours ago, Pohnjiper said:

They are OEM Yamaha

Ah ok, thanks. How have you found them? I’ve read a few posts about them bending in easily. Cheers Guy 

1 hour ago, Guys said:

Ah ok, thanks. How have you found them? I’ve read a few posts about them bending in easily. Cheers Guy 

Bending isn't real problem, it broke engine block in mounting point sometimes.

• Like 1

Oohkay I think that’s pretty definitive. I’ll pass on them, thanks for your comment.