Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

12 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Hate to tell you but they are not.

Had them on my Crosstourer and could throw them away after te fist crash.

Made some out of the Mosko Moto aux pox and they don't even show a mark after several crashes.

I don’t crash 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan M said:

Picked up a pair of crash bar bags today, they seem pretty well made for the price, £40 the pair.

They don’t stick out any more than my knee’s.

3481AF87-19B1-418D-AB24-5F4660D5743D.jpeg

Mine sheared off in a minor spill. Have now upgraded to kriega OS6. Quality is unbelievable. 

A friend of mine was telling me about the Bumont rack. It’s very nice. Looks heavy though. Lots of steel, even a metal toolbox, hard and soft panniers available, everything locks. He has it on his BMW GS and it looks like it belongs there. But they also have one for the T7. Not sure I want all that…

19 minutes ago, Michael B said:

Mine sheared off in a minor spill. Have now upgraded to kriega OS6. Quality is unbelievable. 

Yeah, they probably won’t take much abuse.

I had a look at the Mosko aux pox Ray recommended and must say they look good.

If I rip the sh*t out these I’ll probably give them a go.

👍

50 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Yeah, they probably won’t take much abuse.

I had a look at the Mosko aux pox Ray recommended and must say they look good.

If I rip the sh*t out these I’ll probably give them a go.

👍

This is how i made them to work as crashbar bags, next weekend i will talk with Mosko Moto about it.
IMG_20200808_194557.jpg.304338ecf9c5e6a05e9bf3c7c4b2c74b.jpg

IMG_20200808_194730.jpg.3981052f0abbe891989af884f948c623.jpg

IMG_20200808_194817.jpg.7035874b1b2844095336259f55555798.jpg

IMG_20200808_194848.jpg.e78c9abc2f4415b4dcfb982a44c63d64.jpg

IMG_20200808_195901.jpg.ebe2acfd6f62815dceb43928cedf12b7.jpg

IMG_20200808_200751.jpg.b035a401fcea24f5c65b42f1a7a661e6.jpg

IMG_20200808_200810.jpg.64666aa90e67eb33f231d531b11bbe81.jpg

IMG_20200807_164836.jpg.23119a09a66d2e21a477ade54bf6a79f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alan M said:

Picked up a pair of crash bar bags today, they seem pretty well made for the price, £40 the pair.

They don’t stick out any more than my knee’s.

3481AF87-19B1-418D-AB24-5F4660D5743D.jpeg

Snap.

10 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

This is how i made them to work as crashbar bags, next weekend i will talk with Mosko Moto about it.

Ray this is brilliant, I think I might have to replicate this.  I was just struggling with my various small dry bags on my crashbars today, thinking there had to be a better, and less fragile way.  Good work!

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Hate to tell you but they are not.

Had them on my Crosstourer and could throw them away after te fist crash.

Made some out of the Mosko Moto aux pox and they don't even show a mark after several crashes.

Do you make a habit of crashing?

41 minutes ago, Mapbook said:

Do you make a habit of crashing?

I try not to but if you take a big bike like the Crosstourer offroad you will and that's also the reason i bought a XT660Z wich i traded later to the T7.

But when you go offroad and a bit further than fire roads then it's not the question if you go down but how many times.

The time i crashed destroying the Lomo bags i was on a offroad training and it was an obstacle where a guy with a CRF 450 doubted he could do it with that bike (he was used to 80/90kg dirtbikes).

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I try not to but if you take a big bike like the Crosstourer offroad you will and that's also the reason i bought a XT660Z wich i traded later to the T7.

But when you go offroad and a bit further than fire roads then it's not the question if you go down but how many times.

The time i crashed destroying the Lomo bags i was on a offroad training and it was an obstacle where a guy with a CRF 450 doubted he could do it with that bike (he was used to 80/90kg dirtbikes).

I used to ride moto cross when i was a kid crashed a lot so i know what you mean, don't go off road these days i don't bounce too well at my age.

I have a pair of Lomo 6 ltr bags on the crash bars they won't survive a high speed crash but a low speed off they will protect the bars/ side panels and cheaper to replace.

I don't like the idea of carrying important or hard items in a crash bar bag.  If you go down you could very well destroy them or if the item is hard it might get pushed through the openings and do damage to the side panels of the bike.

I was on the lookout for a small bag to fit my Outback bars that would just be used for things like a hat, sunglasses maybe a map or other little things.

My buddy let me know about these bicycle frame bags he stumbled across at Princess Auto. 

Not a perfect fit, but they mostly fit inside the opening in the outback crash bars and don't stick out in the wind too much.

Hook and loop fastening straps for the bicycle frame attachment works well on my bars, but I added a Zip tie at each strap as well for a bit more security.

I only have one so far, but it seems to work well and I might get another for the right side in the future.  Inexpensive purchase at around $15.

C53534DD-EE2E-48D4-B0A5-6E5134CEE5DB.jpeg

2847B559-A640-4542-AC1E-2D7DAAD7DDF6_1_201_a.jpeg

6 hours ago, williestreet said:

I don't like the idea of carrying important or hard items in a crash bar bag.  If you go down you could very well destroy them or if the item is hard it might get pushed through the openings and do damage to the side panels of the bike.

I was on the lookout for a small bag to fit my Outback bars that would just be used for things like a hat, sunglasses maybe a map or other little things.

My buddy let me know about these bicycle frame bags he stumbled across at Princess Auto. 

Not a perfect fit, but they mostly fit inside the opening in the outback crash bars and don't stick out in the wind too much.

Hook and loop fastening straps for the bicycle frame attachment works well on my bars, but I added a Zip tie at each strap as well for a bit more security.

I only have one so far, but it seems to work well and I might get another for the right side in the future.  Inexpensive purchase at around $15.

C53534DD-EE2E-48D4-B0A5-6E5134CEE5DB.jpeg

How do you have your helmet secured to the bike in this photo?

I was starting to reconsider tube type frames that can handle hard or soft panniers when I read about the ease with which they can be damaged in a crash off-road if not loaded with bags. So now I'm back on the fence 😉

If I get the simple chassis protector type plates that simply hold the saddle bags away from the bike and give them some stability then those I could see leaving on the bike all the time. But the full on frame style racks that panniers can latch or lock onto would likely be removed when not in use to protect them from tip overs when not carrying panniers. Is that something ADV riders do? I'm still looking for the rack solution that can do it all as I expect to do a lot of day rides with off-road sections where I will be carrying a minimum amount of stuff. No camping gear and no empty panniers.

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

I use bungee cord hook ties.  I have one on my tail rack and one on the left to hang the helmet.  Handy little items with tons of uses.

8585B0A6-5286-4D76-9D10-0AAAF59F2302.jpeg

44F212DF-0A16-4354-B594-144B1C95147C.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, williestreet said:

I use bungee cord hook ties.  I have one on my tail rack and one on the left to hang the helmet.  Handy little items with tons of uses.

8585B0A6-5286-4D76-9D10-0AAAF59F2302.jpeg

44F212DF-0A16-4354-B594-144B1C95147C.jpeg

Looking for more security. Have these on my touring bike. Just ordered this for rhe T7

80E4D1F5-A60C-4F1B-8F40-AF119EF96EB5.png

• Like 1

I have these from OBR in the US.  Fit perfectly within my SWMotech lower crash bars.  
No problem with a tip over, water bottle did not even leak.  
Not huge, but open wide.  

OBR-Crash-Bar-Bags-1__79187.1617764706.3

OBR ADV Gear Crash Bar Storage Bags attach to your motorcycles lower crash bars using a series of one wrap Velcro tabs ... perfect for storing items like tire repair...

9B25AB4E-19EE-4E14-8470-1C9B4849C1F8.png

• Like 2

- Tail tidy Off-The-Road
- Perun Moto top luggage rack

- Outback Motortek pannier racks for high exhaust (HP Corse sp1)
- Mosko Moto backcountry 35lt + 25lt

IMG_0693.JPEG

IMG_0695.JPEG

IMG_0697.JPEG

IMG_0698.JPEG

IMG_0685.JPEG

IMG_0686.JPEG

IMG_0687.JPEG

IMG_0690.JPEG

Edited by disco2000
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, Husafreak said:

I was starting to reconsider tube type frames that can handle hard or soft panniers when I read about the ease with which they can be damaged in a crash off-road if not loaded with bags. So now I'm back on the fence 😉

If I get the simple chassis protector type plates that simply hold the saddle bags away from the bike and give them some stability then those I could see leaving on the bike all the time. But the full on frame style racks that panniers can latch or lock onto would likely be removed when not in use to protect them from tip overs when not carrying panniers. Is that something ADV riders do? I'm still looking for the rack solution that can do it all as I expect to do a lot of day rides with off-road sections where I will be carrying a minimum amount of stuff. No camping gear and no empty panniers.

That is how I am starting to do it.  I had (still have) a set of Tusk Excursion soft bags for the bike.  They were good only when full.  Once we would get to the camping spot and I nearly emptied them I had to tie them down completely different than when they were full.  They ended up being a little small and I didnt care for riding around with them nearly empty.

Ive since gone to the SW Motech Pro side carriers with their ABS side cases. Im using these for the overnighters when I carry much more stuff (and we ride less agressive trails), and I can remove them all together when Im doing more aggresive day-trips.  I then just use a tail bag.  The SW Motech Pro carriers remove from the bike in just a few seconds.

• Like 1

So for my big adventure luggage system I've decided on a soft pannier system like the Tusk Highland rackless, assuming they ever come back in stock. I want to get a frame for the back of the bike like the Rally Raid or Adventure Spec soft luggage rack/rear luggage rack. One that can mount a RotoPax water or fuel container, keep the bags out of the rear wheel and muffler, and give me something to hold on too. But not be too obtrusive when the bike is ridden with no luggage. Any ides or preferences here would be much appreciated!

For buzzing around town and day trips I bought a Tusk tank bag, large, Tusk Traverse Pannier Bags (2x12L), and a Sedici 20L dry bag. I'm really chuffed with this setup for small stuff, tools, food, water bottle, extra jacket, etc. The tank bag was the first thing I got and it is very handy. The Traverse bags mounted up easily and seem pretty secure, away from my Camel ADV Rally exhaust and you don't know they are there when riding. Always need some tools and hardware for every ride. The 20L Sedici will keep whatever is in there dry. One thing I don't want to do anymore is ride with a backpack on, my T7 is the donkey now, not me!

7 minutes ago, Husafreak said:

So for my big adventure luggage system I've decided on a soft pannier system like the Tusk Highland rackless, assuming they ever come back in stock. I want to get a frame for the back of the bike like the Rally Raid or Adventure Spec soft luggage rack/rear luggage rack. One that can mount a RotoPax water or fuel container, keep the bags out of the rear wheel and muffler, and give me something to hold on too. But not be too obtrusive when the bike is ridden with no luggage. Any ides or preferences here would be much appreciated!

For buzzing around town and day trips I bought a Tusk tank bag, large, Tusk Traverse Pannier Bags (2x12L), and a Sedici 20L dry bag. I'm really chuffed with this setup for small stuff, tools, food, water bottle, extra jacket, etc. The tank bag was the first thing I got and it is very handy. The Traverse bags mounted up easily and seem pretty secure, away from my Camel ADV Rally exhaust and you don't know they are there when riding. Always need some tools and hardware for every ride. The 20L Sedici will keep whatever is in there dry. One thing I don't want to do anymore is ride with a backpack on, my T7 is the donkey now, not me!

Have you looks at Giant loop round the world Panniers?

Here is my review 

giant-loop-round-the-world-panniers-revi

Giant Loop Round The World Panniers Review: Designed for rugged use locally or internationally, this is premium soft luggage.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:52 AM, Frances said:

Inexpensive solution for day trips and running around town - I just got my Tenere in late Sept 2021 after waiting for months.  I need some luggage for running errands and for day trips, but I did not want to commit to spending a lot of money right now.  Lots of life changes happening and I am not sure exactly how much traveling I will do next year.  I have used Wolfman, Kriega, Mosko, and Enduristan products in the past with varying degrees of success.  Right now I just need something to carry enough for a day trip or when running errands in town.  I found a Chinese company on Amazon that makes some nice bags that I use on my bicycles called Rhinowalk.  I ended up ordering a 10 L  ($33) and a 30 L ($48) bag from amazon and bought the Kriega Tank adapter for $35.  The Rhinowalk bags are a Kriega US copy and they work fine for their intended purpose.  I can use one or both bags.  The 10 L can be used as a Tank bag (with the Kriega adapter), alone on the back, or also strapped on to the 30 L if needed.  I would not travel internationally with these bags, but they are useful and practical for me now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HVNZKPF?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

PXL_20211015_205733667.jpg

PXL_20211015_205750083.jpg

Thanks for the info.

The link to the Amazon product has expired but it's available on Aliexpress for a little less money.

Rhinowalk also do a nice saddle bag that carries up to 28L total for the pair.

About AUD230 for both the saddle bag and 10L bag incl delivery.

It's still available on Amazon for about AUD310 and faster delivery. Depends on your priority.

Edited by Outbacker
add more information

7 minutes ago, Dirtbandit said:

Love these bags so far.

2E918619-5348-432C-8457-BF04FC311ACB.jpeg

How are you protecting the right side bag from the muffler?