Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

"The Fix" T7 Rear Brake Pedal

Camel ADV

Hi Cory

You already mention a foldable pedal.

What about a dual-height ones? One that you could simply "turn" for switch from street to off-road height.

Something like the one of ducati desert x (I could not find an example)...

It would be more fragile and not foldable, and I don't know how many will sell, so feel free to turn me down.

Thankyou

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DuncMan said:

I'm hoping that I can modify the bracket on my AltRider extended brake pedal. I'll let everyone know if it works and indeed if it's needed as the Camel pedal position may well be different to the stock. 

That would be great. I've been thinking of one of those setups for awhile now. 

• Like 1

I just watched 26 mins of video... on a brake pedal!  And it was good lol!  

Can't wait to get one ordered. Probably a winter order for me. And I think I may succumb to a tail tidy finally, too. Now that Camel has the oem blinker mount version I'll probably go that route too.  I've been monitoring where the mud accumulates on my bike and I'm just not so sure the oem disfigurement is doing much to help me. 

• Like 2

Dang that's fast. Mine arrives today in Texas.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

CORY'S GOAL IS TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Ready for install after UPS delivers today.

Pro Tip: Instead of fiddling around with my big hands to get the clevis cotter pin out from the back side:

1 I fully unscrewed the adjustment screw that goes in the clevis.

2 Removed the master cylinder bolts and pulled the assembly apart to get the adjusting screw out of the clevis

3 I then removed the foot-peg bracket and pulled the cotter pin and clevis pin very easily while it was staring me in the face. 

Edit: Should have looked at the Camal parts the kit comes with first. It comes with a new clevis pins which means the old cotter pin and clevis doesn't need to be removed at all.

IMG_20221107_104837635.jpg.e28fd74ccaf49c2de6643a80541508cc.jpgups_girl_lrg1181683074.gif.85c944838819136a0b19122c1d77478f.gif

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

ups_girl_lrg1181683074.gif.85c944838819136a0b19122c1d77478f.gif

I am anxiously waiting the arrival of lever!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Done.  Brake pedal feel is now how it should have been from the factory IMG_20221107_173000081.jpg.d767b34b1379a6f8e647d92b4268103b.jpg

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Many of you know me and I'm a tad anal with my bikes and installations

Your screws are all different!!

• Haha 2

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Here's my install experience & review from my blog

IMG_3621_25097a5f-2d44-48d9-b113-a5b20a2eee5a_2048x2048.jpg

Cory Hanson @ Camel ADV has a penchant for identifying areas in need of improvement & implementing quality & well sorted bike specific solutions...enter "The Fix" T7 Rear Brake Pedal for the Yamaha Tenere 700, which should fit all current models.  It has been in development/testing for a year  by Camel ADV & in use by RideADV Adventure Tours, an Australian motorcycle tour company with a high mileage fleet of T7s....needless to say, Cory & Greg's crew @ RideADV have subjected it to extensive use & abuse resulting in 23 revisions! The primary goals were to eliminate the long pedal travel & flex + improve pedal return...thereby reducing the spongey feel & sometimes sticky return action that could lead to pre-mature wear of the pads & rotor. 

Camel ADV's product description & videos below, from their website, provide a clear & concise explanation of Cory's analysis of the deficiencies he sought to improve upon of the oem brake pedal function/design & his development journey of "The Fix" T7 Rear Brake Pedal.  He  makes a point of stating that it is not an issue of the oem design being weak or unable to lock up the rear brake or a rear brake master cylinder problem...but rather that his "Fix" is primarily targeted at improvements to brake pedal function/use that many riders may find beneficial, particularly for off-road use that typically sees a more rear brake bias than street riding.   He also notes that this modification may not work for pegs that have been lowered significantly as the brake pedal is limited in it's downward range of motion by the assembly....so do you due diligence to determine if compatible with your set up.

Cory has also tested numerous brake pads in search of improved feel/performance over the oem parts & offers Galfer Semi-metalic pads, of which I am currently using & can attest to their improved braking characteristics....my review can be read elsewhere on my blog here.  Other Camel products that I use & have reviewed can be viewed on  my blog via these links: 

From Camel ADV's website:

Great news, after a year of testing, "The Fix" rear brake pedal is here! You don't have to deal with the Yamaha 700 Tenere's spongey rear brake any longer! The Fix brake pedal addresses all the OEM pedal's issues. Check out our product intro video at the bottom of the page.

"The Fix" Features

• Corrected leverage ratio reducing pedal travel by about half compared to stock
  • Durable 6.4mm thick 304 stainless steel construction
  • Straighter shape to reduce pedal flexing while braking
  • Brass bushings to reduce slop in the pedal main pivot point
  • Grippy, replaceable stainless steel brake tip
  • Offset clevis to correct the master cylinder pushrod angle
  • Black powder-coated finish

*Patent Pending*

100% money-back guarantee. If you still aren't happy with your T7's rear brake after installing "The Fix" send it back for a full refund, no questions asked!

Explanation Video of Development of "The Fix" T7 Rear Brake Pedal

Installation Video of "The Fix" T7 Rear Brake Pedal - a must watch prior to starting the job!

Camels' "The Fix" Rear Brake Pedal UPDATE (Dec 08, 2022)
addressing a few issues that have occurred & upcoming pedal options 

Well done Cory for being so proactive & transparent in quickly communicating with your customers...yet another example of Camel's commitment to quality products & outstanding customer support  👍

Camel's Personalized Packaging is a Nice Touch...Thanks Cory 😀

I took advantage of the pre-sale offering...ordered Oct 26, shipped Nov 03, delivered Nov 7.

20221107_145358.jpg

20221107_145547.jpg

20221107_145644.jpg

Tech Tip: The brass bushing comes pre-greased & wrapped...see install video above for assembly/installation instructions.  NOTE that the 2 black Camel supplied washers install with the raised lip facing inward toward the brass bushing...the larger black + smaller stainless washer on the bolt head side & the smaller black washer on the opposite side. 

20221107_145719.jpg

20221107_152644.jpg

"The Fix" installation on my 2021 Tenere 700

All work done with bike on the side stand.

Tech Tip - alternate master cylinder clevis cotter pin removal method: unbolt the entire bracket assembly & rotate around to permit access to the cotter pin vs trying to remove it while the assembly is still attached the bike. 

NOTE: Brake light switch wiring harness must be released from cable tie strap on the frame by prying the top of the strap up to release it to permit enough slack to rotate the assembly around.

FYI that my 12k km oem brake lever had noticeable stiction & would not return to its full upright position...just as Cory had demonstrated in his video.

20221107_214434.jpg

Tech Tip: put assembly in vice to remove oem brake lever (impact gun or quick pulls on a breaker bar/long ratchet will break lose the oem bolt) & install Camel lever using red loctite on the lever bolt (see below for torque amount). Ensure that lever return spring is installed correctly with the outer end properly situated over the protruding locating tab & that the protruding inner spring inserts into the assembly locating hole.

20221107_215139.jpg 20221107_220702.jpg

Tech Tip: Be sure to install the brake master cylinder off-set clevis the correct orientation to ensure proper alignment of the adjustable master cylinder rod reusing the oem clevis nut & oem clevis washer on the cotter pin side of the clevis pin & position the brake light switch mounting bracket correctly with the tab butted up to the assembly & re-attach the wiring harness securely to the frame tie strap. 

20221107_223254.jpg

Torque Settings for Bolts

Tech Tip: The torque settings for the 7 oem mounting bracket bolts & the brake light activation switch bolt are noted in the pics below extracted from the Camel installation video...use blue loctite.  

NOTE that no torque setting is specified by Camel or in the Tenere 700 Service Manual for the oem 12 mm brake lever bolt that Camel replaces with a 17 mm bolt & spec's red loctite...I suggest using 23 N-m which is the same as the 2 allen head & 12 mm bolts used for the upper part of the assembly bracket....which resulted in almost zero side to side flex & created no noticeable binding allowing the Camel lever to fully return to its upper resting position with far more authority than the oem.

For those that need to know: The oem brake pedal height adjustment 12 mm lock nut torque = 18 N-m & the plastic brake light adjuster switch nut = 7 N-m (which is not loosened during this procedure).

The%20Fix%20Torque%20Settings%20Otside.JPG

The%20Fix%20Torque%20Settings%20Inside.JPG

Install Procedure

As per Camel's installation video start with the upper right assembly bolt, then the 2 lower assembly bolts & hand snug all 3, then the 2 lower frame/assembly bolts (Tech Tip: insert a screw driver for leverage to assist aligning the other hole & insert bolt), then bolt up the brake master cylinder & torque all bolts to spec. 

The AXP Skid Plate  (only the right side front, middle & 2 rear bolts need removed to allow enough free play in the skid plate to access the 2 lower front frame/assembly bolts) & SW Motech Center Stand (right side mounting plate is bolted to the 2 bottom assembly allen bolts + spring & 3rd stand bolt must be removed) added extra steps & time for the install.

Tech Tip: Be sure to adjust the brake lever height to your preference & adjust the brake light switch for proper activation as per the oem instructions below.  I found that the brake light switch adjuster bolt could rotate the adjuster tab when tightening & alter the adjustment a little...minor adjustments/fine tuning can be done by placing a flat head screw driver against the tab & tapping lightly with a hammer in the desired direction.

20221107_232032.jpg

20221108_084003.jpg

Yamaha Service Manual: Adjusting Rear Brake Pedal Height & Brake Light Switch

Tenere%20700%20Adjusting%20Rear%20Brake%20Pedal%20Height.jpg Tenere%20700%20Adjusting%20Rear%20Brake%20Light%20Switch.jpg

Ride Review

Yamaha are you paying attention?! Because this is how the oem brake pedal should have performed...solid & precise with far less movement & flex + positive return action...combined with Galfer semi-metalic pads "The Fix" completely transforms rear brake feel/use. I find that applying & modulating the rear brake, particularly while standing is far easier & more intuitive...although it will take a little unlearning  of the oem "extended travel" set up & acclimation to recalibrate your foot inputs for "The Fix", which is more in line with most other bikes. I believe that Cory & team Camel accomplished their design goals of improving on the oem pedal deficiencies...well Done! However, their is a chink in the otherwise impressive armor with regards to foot interface...

Brake Lever Foot Pad Not Wide Enough

One of the few design misses is the narrower overall width of the brake lever foot pad vs the oem. Camel's cleated foot pad is the same width as the oem cleated portion, but the pivoting portion adds 2 cm (0.8") that is sorely missed by my E width size 47 (12 USA) feet. This forces me to toe in to get a good purchase on the lever with my Pivot Pegz 4 & would only be exacerbated with wider foot pegs.

Positioning of Oem Foot Pad on left vs Camel on Right

20220514_182013.jpg 20221108_084617.jpg

20221108_084839.jpg

Install Wider Camel Street Brake Lever Tip Dec 2024

Camel now makes 2 tips for 'The Fix' Rear Brake Lever: a 35 mm wide Enduru tip that was original fitment & a 57 mm wide street tip...there were times riding off-road when my foot would miss the end of the Enduro tip, so will try the wider version.  I was really hoping for Cory to develop a pivoting dual height tip.

20231129_165623.jpg

20231202_145332.jpg

20231202_145028.jpg

Simple & Inexpensive dual height brake lever mod for oem lever can be viewed elsewhere on my blog here.

20221108_084937.jpg

Wish List

Could Santa Cory consider developing a pivoting & dual height foot pad...pretty please?
Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@DuncManthanks for the info on lowered pegs - I also have Bosley pegs but mine are 30mm down and 20mm back.

I checked with Cory before ordering and will modify the pedal/pad interface to accommodate the lower position and pad angle.  And I will have a slightly more complicated install due to a centerstand, Acerbis frame guards and lower bars that connect to the aluminum bracket, so it might be a few weeks before I have a chance to install it. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

I applied "the fix" today and took her out for a spin. Sweet. For me this balances the bike out. Front and rear brakes are in harmony because they have a similar feel and require about the same rider input to get the same results. I guess that was the biggest problem before, you felt like you knew what the front was doing but not the back. It was always just a problem of control feel and not actual braking capability.

I am pretty surprised that Cory can sell these for this price, it is a really nice product and obviously a lot of of expertise in concept, design and execution went into this. We'll call it Cory's T7 thesis project! The man just loves solving problems...

FWIW I don't feel the need for a larger pedal anymore either. That was one of the early "fixes" that was popular but didn't really fix anything. You knew you were pressing the pedal because it was huge, LOL, but still no feel, too much travel, the slop was still there.  

We really are lucky that Camel ADV has decided to make the T7 mechanically perfect. Yamaha gave us a terrific bike but made a lot of choices to keep the price down. Now anyone with the cash and the will to do it can take Camel ADV "fixes" and make the T7 pretty much perfect.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, DuncMan said:

OK, this will be good news for @DT675 and may interest @Camel ADV Cory as it might give him an idea or two for an extended pedal. Obviously, I haven't fit this to the bike yet but I have gotten used to the larger pedal over time so making that work with "The Fix" has been on my mind. The foot pedal area on "The Fix" is actually a bit smaller than the stock one so even before fitting I'm fairly sure I would want my AltRider extension on there. Fortunately, attaching it was quite straight forward. 

I used one small bolt down through one corner using the existing holes in the plate and using the central bolt that AltRider supplied I simply used two washers as a bracket. Two Nylon locking nuts secured the bolts and its now rock solid and perfectly aligned, the corner bolt seemingly preventing it from swivelling at all. Seems to work and I'll update in the review if I notice anything negative but I don't envisage any problems. I'll also update on how it works in practise once the weather and my work diary clears and I'm able to ride with it.

This is good to know we have some options- thanks.  Also thanks for the heads-up with the lower pegs.  The way I installed my Altrider pegs im down a little lower that stock.  Not sure by how much though, but not too much.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 3:44 PM, Camel ADV said:

There a pile of people on our notification list on the website already and I've had several people asking for a presale option. It seems a bit odd since we don't have pics posted and haven't even posted all the specs/features at this time.

What do you guys think? Do you trust us enough to engage in a pre-sale on a mystery T7 product? 

Coming in late here, but as someone who just found this thread and hasn't gotten to current yet where release details may already be available: based on what you've made to date, I'm 100% on board and would buy right now.  If you say you've fixed it, I believe you.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, Hollybrook said:

@Camel ADV I saw in one of your other comments that the new pedal has the same adjustment range as the OEM one. If that is the case, I'm thinking I can just slot the screw holes in the tip to get the right orientation as I have already lowered the OEM pedal to the height I want. 

I'll let you know when mine arrives and I have some time to play with it. 

I'm definitely interested in this, as I'm running 30mm lowered pegs myself.  I'm not super happy with where my OEM pedal sits, but I've not modified it (aside from normal adjustment) and I've bent it a few times now so... Eh.  

Edit: alright, having finally got caught up, I'm DEFINITELY interested as I hate the squishy OEM rear brakes. As a primarily street rider too, while my street riding almost never uses the rear brake, I'm still accustomed to brakes that are much firmer - the squishy rear has always annoyed me.

I'm very curious is the drag releasing the rear is the cause of @NeilW's brake issues - seems pretty believable.  I went out and checked mine, and while I've not had a drag problem personally, the resistance to returning on my pedal is absolutely noticable.  

I really want one, but am very concerned about not being able to lower the pedal sufficiently for my -30mm pegs.  @Camel ADV as this seems a common thread here, is there any chance of an adapter for lowered pegs?  If it helps and you're interested, I'm in town, and you're welcome to use my T7 to test with significantly lowered pegs.  I'd be more than happy to bring mine to you, buy a lever and adapter sight unseen 🙂

Edited by Wintersdark

• Supporting Vendor
16 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm definitely interested in this, as I'm running 30mm lowered pegs myself.  I'm not super happy with where my OEM pedal sits, but I've not modified it (aside from normal adjustment) and I've bent it a few times now so... Eh.  

Edit: alright, having finally got caught up, I'm DEFINITELY interested as I hate the squishy OEM rear brakes. As a primarily street rider too, while my street riding almost never uses the rear brake, I'm still accustomed to brakes that are much firmer - the squishy rear has always annoyed me.

I'm very curious is the drag releasing the rear is the cause of @NeilW's brake issues - seems pretty believable.  I went out and checked mine, and while I've not had a drag problem personally, the resistance to returning on my pedal is absolutely noticable.  

I really want one, but am very concerned about not being able to lower the pedal sufficiently for my -30mm pegs.  @Camel ADV as this seems a common thread here, is there any chance of an adapter for lowered pegs?  If it helps and you're interested, I'm in town, and you're welcome to use my T7 to test with significantly lowered pegs.  I'd be more than happy to bring mine to you, buy a lever and adapter sight unseen 🙂

We are considering an adaptor to lower the tip for the lowered peg riders. We're in the planning/plotting stage at this point.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

The weird thing is that it has only happened 5x in a year.  Let me put a call out to all T7 owners that have had high wear on their rear pads to check the temperature of their rear rotor when they stop. Theirs may be rubbing and getting hot but not as hot as mine ( and a few others) to cause the fluid to boil and fail the rear brake completely.  For those just hearing about rear brake failure- no I am not riding the pedal and the last time it failed, I had my feet on my Highway pegs for over an hour and then pressed the rear brake and it went to the lower stop. ( Yamaha just replaced my rotor, caliper, fluid and pads since they were so obviously overheated)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

We are considering an adaptor to lower the tip for the lowered peg riders. We're in the planning/plotting stage at this point.

Great idea! 

@Camel ADV Just to put a bug in your ear, how about a fix for the shifter at the same time? 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Great idea! 

@Camel ADV Just to put a bug in your ear, how about a fix for the shifter at the same time? 

What is your beef with the shift lever?

19 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

When you lower your pegs, it is difficult to lower the shift lever to match.  The first problem you run into is that there is a protrusion on the back of the aluminum bracket that the foot peg mounts to, which stops the lever from moving down.  This is fairly easy to remove, even without any disassembly.  For a minor lowering of the pedal, this is sufficient.  If you need to lower it more, the lower ball end of the shift linkage hits the aluminum bracket, limiting the downward travel of the lever.

For now, I have a piece of tubing cable tied to the bottom of the rubber on the shift lever, but it is really not enough.  This winter, I am planning to modify the pedal by adding a plate to lower the folding tip about an inch.  I'll attach a photo in a few minutes.

I am holding down the lever and the ball end is lightly touching the bracket. 

20221109_181217.jpg.79b90581b527260165b85b68d95734b9.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

Can't be lowered enough, particularly not without moving it very far back towards the pegs.  

Us tall riders have many struggles 🙂

Lowered pegs are very popular on this bike, though.  Really helps straighten the legs (less load transitioning between standing and seated) and get you a better reach to the handlebars while standing without needing bar risers which then puts the bars up higher while seated, which is undesirable.

I'd love a shift peg that sits 1" lower then stock, that I could mount the arm in the normal stock position providing maximum forward positioning to allow for the big feet.  

It's frustrating because any lowering moves it towards the footpegs, but tall people typically also have big feet 🙂

• Supporting Vendor
8 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Can't be lowered enough, particularly not without moving it very far back towards the pegs.  

Us tall riders have many struggles 🙂

Lowered pegs are very popular on this bike, though.  Really helps straighten the legs (less load transitioning between standing and seated) and get you a better reach to the handlebars while standing without needing bar risers which then puts the bars up higher while seated, which is undesirable.

I'd love a shift peg that sits 1" lower then stock, that I could mount the arm in the normal stock position providing maximum forward positioning to allow for the big feet.  

It's frustrating because any lowering moves it towards the footpegs, but tall people typically also have big feet 🙂

Hmm, I'm 6'3" with size 13 feet and almost always wear full MX boots. I've never had a problem with the shifter. That's not to say that other like it (clearly lots don't). The issue I find with shifters (almost all bikes) is not being able to get them high enough to get my giant foot under it so the comments of not being able to move the shifter low enough due to big feet confuses the hell out of me!

• Supporting Vendor
8 minutes ago, Bretta said:

Fitted my break pedal last night, excellent bit of gear everything fitted perfect 

image.jpeg.c868956bac36e4f8c05107978e5c910f.jpeg

Excellent, I'm glad you're happy with it!