Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Welcome to the great USA 2020 Yamaha T7 preorder scramble

Cruizin

Yahtzee😀

6E7BAC02-9AE9-48C8-8643-E7C5B14A66BE.jpeg

• Like 1

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

I got the call. My PDP ordered bike has a ship date of 7/31, straight outa Compton. My dealer may see the bike that day or or early next week. Ontario, CA.

3 hours ago, jetdr21 said:

Mine arrived at dealer today will pick up on Friday.

IMG_1787.jpg

What time are you coming up to pick it up? That is just about the condition I saw it this evening

I will be picking mine  up in the morning.

20200728_163229_HDR.jpg

Edited by Robert Peters

3 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

Just wondering at this point if every single North American Tenere 700 was made on 4/20/20, and this next series of bikes will be the start of a new run.

Time to throw on some Peter Tosh. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Peters said:

What time are you coming up to pick it up? That is just about the condition I saw it this evening

I will be picking mine  up in the morning.

20200728_163229_HDR.jpg

Noonish

18 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

Just wondering at this point if every single North American Tenere 700 was made on 4/20/20, and this next series of bikes will be the start of a new run.

Actually . . . 04/20 = April 2020.   Production month and year.

8EA2AA00-BEDB-45F7-A81E-B0B1046F1AB6.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough
  • Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, Tom McDonough said:

Actually . . . 4/20 = April 2020.

Hey congrats on the Yahtzee! Glad you will be riding this summer. Cheers

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Good news. I called Yamaha regional in Georgia yesterday. Received a call back today. My bike was shipped on the 24, I’m in Maine, but still hoping I will see it by the end of the week.  My dealer also verified this news when I called him. Awesome!

They also said all but 29 preorder bikes have landed in the states and he had a list of those 29 bikes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richarddd said:

Good news. I called Yamaha regional in Georgia yesterday. Received a call back today. My bike was shipped on the 24, I’m in Maine, but still hoping I will see it by the end of the week.  My dealer also verified this news when I called him. Awesome!

They also said all but 29 preorder bikes have landed in the states and he had a list of those 29 bikes. 

Interesting how some get an answer from Yamaha in GA, and some don't get a call back. 😜

Perhaps, this is a similar approach to the first come first serve PDP?

Priority Delivery Program ?   😉

Edited by ADVUSA

Just spoke with Yamaha directly since my dealer says "he has no idea when it will come" anymore and is sick of promising in a couple weeks as he has been for the last 4 months. 

Yamaha says the shop I bought my bike from has 5 bikes being shipped today from Tacoma Wa, which is 2 hours South of my dealer. So in theory, my bike should be there today or tomorrow. I texted my dealer and told him this and he responded "we have no information on any of that happening". 

What a mess. 

On 7/22 my dealer checked the status of my bike (Ship ETA 7/27 Tacoma Warehouse).

On the 23rd it shipped and invoiced.

Tracking status is not being updated . . . Last status 7/25 “enroute  to Chicago Hub”

I requested status updates from the carrier electronically . . . not holding my breath.  I am just glad to get a bike before fall.🤪 

AAA93E54-36A1-4754-8A15-F6BC7118A69B.jpeg

For those of you who have received your pre-orders, did your dealer charge a markup on top of the base price?  What was your out the door price?

47 minutes ago, Ramaka said:

For those of you who have received your pre-orders, did your dealer charge a markup on top of the base price?  What was your out the door price?

• Thanks 1

Picked mine up today!!! Dealer called me when I was 5 minutes away picking up my toy hauler from the RV place. So I just scooted over and hauled it home in the toy hauler! Then did a 50 mile loop of paved and dirt roads. I’m in love. It’s excellent. 
FIRST ONE IN VERMONT! 

80B2C49C-ADFE-4F97-BA0D-0D2C76C5AC08.jpeg

57C462C7-F95D-4925-8990-940AA10F258E.jpeg

• Like 5

Just got a chance to finally see and sit on one in person!!! When I saw it across the room and I quietly outlaid "holy crap there's one!"

Literally first time in person since seeing the phototype years ago. Was driving by a different dealer today from the one I put my deposit down and they had 1 sold, red white sitting there waiting for the person to pick it up. I asked if I could sit on it and they said yes. 

I've owned Id guess 25 bikes in the last 40 years, every single one being single cylinder dirt bikes and enduros. My last being a Ktm 690R that I sold after doing 1,400 miles of mixed and a bucket list is to do a ride to Alaska next year (was supposed to be this year but my bike isn't here yet and the border is closed). This will be my first twin/road oriented bike. 

I will say the seat felt like I was sitting on a couch. PLUSH in comparison to the boards I've sat on since I was 9. But that's were the allure ended. 

It felt very awkward. Heavy. Bug. Gangly. I'm 6' and long torso and the bars felt so far away. I'm so used to sitting up on the tank, riding it high and the bars close. I guess to drop a leg going into berms. This felt like I was way back and the bike just felt massive. Just HUGE and heavy. I knew it would be bigger, as thats what adventure bikes are. 

But I cant help but wonder now if Im making a mistake. I plan on doing more long trips, Alaska....trips to Idaho and Oregon....BC. But the bike feels unnatural. 

Has anybody here had a similar background and rode exclusively dirt bikes and then got on to a big adventure bike like this (and Im aware this isn't even that big in comparison which is why I pulled the trigger on a downpayment). Does it grow on you? 

Or does anyone feel that it is too big and heavy and perhaps under powered for how little HP it has to weight? This is the same HP as my 690 and 120 pounds more. 

Just curious to anyone who's ridden moto bikes and switched to adventure bikes. Just sitting on it felt so unnatural. Wont really know until I test ride it I guess. 

• Moderators

@johnnygolucky  My background is 50 years of dirt bikes, with a few street bikes thrown in here and there, with the last one being a FJR1300.  I'm 6'1 with a 36" inseam so probably a shorter torso than you, but the bike fits me fine.  That coming from a guy with knuckle dragger length arms, so yeah, I like it. Having said that, yes, the tank does feel wider than my Beta or my son's KTM, but they need to stop for fuel every 100 or so miles.  Handling wise, I can appreciate your concern of carrying the weight up high, I had the same concern when I first threw a leg over a showroom model that wasn't available to demo.  Just sitting on it statically, it did feel top heavy when I leaned it over, but I can assure you, the instant you're underway, that feeling goes away.  The rolling balance (no matter how slow) on this bike is amazing!  If it's moving, the weight seems to disappear, with slow speed figure 8's easy to do, except for the lame rear brake.  I use the "drag the rear while doing lock to lock turns technique" and mine has virtually no feel, it's either off or it's on, very poor modulation which I hope will change once the pads bed in or I'll change them out.

Power concerns - I too had them, seeing as my FJR had 135 hp, this T7, what 73?  The torque of this motor is outstanding and while it won't try to throw you off the back like my FJR did, this baby scoots. Riding it on my local roads that I'd previously ridden my other bikes on, I can tell you, this T7 is my new favorite.  The wide bars make handling a breeze, the balance and acceleration are just what I need. Honestly, I don't miss the extra (often unused) horsepower of my big bike as this one has just the right amount of grunt and get up and go for my kind of riding.  Hope my perspective helps, I'm sure other new owners will chime in.

• Like 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, Makis said:

Dealer just called. It’s finally here!! I’m in western NC. I can’t wait to see it in person.

Which dealer? color? I'm down in CLT, so hoping my bike is in that same delivery.

Well, i just booked mine today, dealer said they should have it beginning of sept, lets see 😀 

• Like 2

Got my Black T7 2 days ago the 28th of July. Serial # 998. The bike is huge in my opinion. It is also very tall. I almost dumped it 20 minutes after buying it!!! I've been installing farkles the last 2 days. The engine is amazing. The seat is way too hard IMHO. I will be getting a seat concepts low seat soon after they are released. I ordered a set of Pivot Pegz this morning. I got 20% off using FREEUPGRADE20 code at checkout. All of my farkles are Hepco and Becker. I cannot get the center stand spring installed. Darn it.

Edited by jas340

1 hour ago, jas340 said:

I cannot get the center stand spring installed. Darn it.

Get about 40 pennies. Bend the spring and stuff a penny into the opened-up spring coils. Bend it back the other direction and stuff another coin. Keep doing that until the spring is full of pennies and stretched a bunch.  Hook it on one end and lever it onto the center stand peg w a screwdriver or vice grips. Use a needle nose to remove the pennies. Viola!

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Just got a chance to finally see and sit on one in person!!! When I saw it across the room and I quietly outlaid "holy crap there's one!"

Literally first time in person since seeing the phototype years ago. Was driving by a different dealer today from the one I put my deposit down and they had 1 sold, red white sitting there waiting for the person to pick it up. I asked if I could sit on it and they said yes. 

I've owned Id guess 25 bikes in the last 40 years, every single one being single cylinder dirt bikes and enduros. My last being a Ktm 690R that I sold after doing 1,400 miles of mixed and a bucket list is to do a ride to Alaska next year (was supposed to be this year but my bike isn't here yet and the border is closed). This will be my first twin/road oriented bike. 

I will say the seat felt like I was sitting on a couch. PLUSH in comparison to the boards I've sat on since I was 9. But that's were the allure ended. 

It felt very awkward. Heavy. Bug. Gangly. I'm 6' and long torso and the bars felt so far away. I'm so used to sitting up on the tank, riding it high and the bars close. I guess to drop a leg going into berms. This felt like I was way back and the bike just felt massive. Just HUGE and heavy. I knew it would be bigger, as thats what adventure bikes are. 

But I cant help but wonder now if Im making a mistake. I plan on doing more long trips, Alaska....trips to Idaho and Oregon....BC. But the bike feels unnatural. 

Has anybody here had a similar background and rode exclusively dirt bikes and then got on to a big adventure bike like this (and Im aware this isn't even that big in comparison which is why I pulled the trigger on a downpayment). Does it grow on you? 

Or does anyone feel that it is too big and heavy and perhaps under powered for how little HP it has to weight? This is the same HP as my 690 and 120 pounds more. 

Just curious to anyone who's ridden moto bikes and switched to adventure bikes. Just sitting on it felt so unnatural. Wont really know until I test ride it I guess. 

Please keep us posted on your thoughts after a few rides. I'm in the same boat as far as decades on dirt bikes only and thinking of buying my first multi cylinder bike. Right now I'm riding a 640 ADV and it couldn't fit me any better and I'm having the time of my life on it but maintenance and parts availability are getting me down. I honestly didn't ever see myself riding a twin until the the T7 came out but there's a voice in the back of my head saying I'll regret it.

8 hours ago, albacore said:

Please keep us posted on your thoughts after a few rides. I'm in the same boat as far as decades on dirt bikes only and thinking of buying my first multi cylinder bike. Right now I'm riding a 640 ADV and it couldn't fit me any better and I'm having the time of my life on it but maintenance and parts availability are getting me down. I honestly didn't ever see myself riding a twin until the the T7 came out but there's a voice in the back of my head saying I'll regret it.

I will keep you updated. 

Ultimately Ive got some long trips planned. Lots of pavement. 2,000+ mile trips. To Alaska next year. Idaho this year. I'd like to ride to Minnesota to see family maybe the next year. So I've come to the conclusion that I just need a more road oriented bike for those ling miles. And this is about as small as a Twin gets that can still do fire and forest roads. And the price isn't through the roof. Im only able to have one 1 right now as Im also building a garage this Autumn so I foresee having this bike for long duty, and getting a 500EXC of FE501 for dirt. I had looked at that 640 but I'm with you on the reliability of it. I'd be very hesitant to take that thing up though Alaska, Yukon where there's nobody around if that thing breaks down. This CP engine is proven so for what you and I are coming from, this is about as small as it gets in regard to adventure bikes. It sure did feel huge though sitting on it but the reviews out there speak otherwise. I'll know soon hopefully. 

Asked the dealer for my PRO# in order to track the shipment. Left Tacoma on 7/22, should be here next Monday. Woohoo!

Screenshot_20200731-114754.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1