Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Hah yeah, you know how it is.  I've long used heated gloves and grips, but these are *massively* more effective.  Even at 0C I'm still just wearing summer gloves with heated grips on low, whereas before I'd be busting out the heated gloves as well as the grips on high. Heated gloves are so bulky, though.

I ride all winter, but there's challenges here in Calgary that I didn't have back in Vancouver.  Like absolute *@#$-off cold.  

Also got some studs in for the T7. My Tracer has it's Anlas Wintergrips on already (Really fantastic tires in very low temps and light snow/ice, but just don't cut it in anything more than a light bit of snow), so it'll be my "clear roads" ride, now I've just got to settle on a good set of tires to stud up for snow days.  I missed a whole month of riding last year (stupid February anyways) and damnit, I'm not missing it this year.  

Sadly, choosing tires is extremely difficult, because there's precious little information about offroad tire's grip in cold temps, and when there is anything, it's generally like the Kenda Ice Tire which isn't actually a good tire for ice, it's just a good tire to run big ass ice spikes in.

20211007_213143.thumb.jpg.151db6295d2f3d08d8681243ec7936b2.jpg

They'd work in the stock Scorpions, for sure, but I think I've worn mine down too much already - they need 8mm to screw in to.  

Check out this thread from the Alberta Dual Sport Forum.  Good thread on studded tires by a guy that races on ice.  Canuck riders are crazy.

https://albertadualsport.ca/threads/tell-us-what-type-are-you-studs-all-screwed-up-or-slippy-slide-all-about-studded-tire-and-winter-riding-info.5166/  

Edited by Landshark

On 10/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, Wintersdark said:

Installed my OBR Enduro 3/4 grip mitts, getting ready for winter.  Warm hands are happy hands.

@Wintersdark can you tell me a little more about these? Have you had a chance to ride with them on much yet and did they stay put at highway speed? How was the fitment on the T7’s handlebar set-up?  I have a set of full mitts for my mountain bike, must-have as i ride all winter long. Even with heated grips on the T7, its just not enough when really cold. Plus I’d rather wear thinner gloves too than super thick winter gloves trying to grab at the controls. 

Excellent idea, thanks for sharing! 

3 hours ago, DT675 said:

@Wintersdark can you tell me a little more about these? Have you had a chance to ride with them on much yet and did they stay put at highway speed? How was the fitment on the T7’s handlebar set-up?  I have a set of full mitts for my mountain bike, must-have as i ride all winter long. Even with heated grips on the T7, its just not enough when really cold. Plus I’d rather wear thinner gloves too than super thick winter gloves trying to grab at the controls. 

Excellent idea, thanks for sharing! 

Sure, I've had a few rides in with them both on my T7 and on my Tracer 900GT.  Takes less than a minute to move from one bike to another.  

They don't move at all, even at way above highway speeds (180kph on the way home from work yesterday).   They fit perfectly on either bike and will on basically any bike with handguards.  It's a very simple method to strap them on, but between their weirdly rigid construction and the method of attachment, they don't move around at all.   What's always kept me away from Hippo Hands and their ilk is the fear that they'll get in the way of reaching the controls quickly if I've taken my hands off the bars, but that's not a problem with these.  They remain open and reach juuuuuuust past the grip (like maybe 3/4" rearwards of the handlebar grips) which is just enough to shelter your hands completely but also to remain open and keep those grips readily accessible.   

On the Tracer, at 0C I have the grips on their lowest setting and my thin, light summer gloves.  On the Tenere, my oxford heaters at one or two pips up, and again the thin summer gloves.  Any higher grip settings and my hands get too hot.  

They look silly (particularly on the Tracer) but they definitely work extremely well.  Looking silly is literally the only negative they've got IMHO.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Landshark said:

Check out this thread from the Alberta Dual Sport Forum.  Good thread on studded tires by a guy that races on ice.  Canuck riders are crazy.

https://albertadualsport.ca/threads/tell-us-what-type-are-you-studs-all-screwed-up-or-slippy-slide-all-about-studded-tire-and-winter-riding-info.5166/  

Yeah, there's a bunch of great ice racing options, but for road riding it's a lot more complicated these days.  Many of the winter tires we had available 5 years ago or so are no longer available in Canada (something to do with a banned chemical) so unless you can find old stock still sitting around they're just invisible.   For example, take Heidenau.  Their K60's come in three flavours, but you'll only find the Scout in Canada, not the Silica SIO2 M+S version, which sucks as the Silica version is an amazing snow tire.   The Anlas Wintergrips on my Tracer are also super hard to find now and when you can find them they're insanely expensive.  

The trick is finding a setup that's good on clear pavement *and* snow, which is extremely difficult.  If you just want to ice race, it's pretty trivial and there's a fair number of good options, but if you want to be able to ride on the streets where you may have clear pavement for part and packed ice and snow for the rest, it's significantly more challenging.

Basically, all the major roads in town get plowed early and often, but the side streets never do.  My Tracer with it's Wintergrips is functional in this stuff: 

20191201_174403.thumb.jpg.a52ee8e3fae408157e8124af23cfc5f0.jpg

but any more depth at all (even if it's just humps in between ruts) is a huge problem.  Here, I could handle the ruts, but needing to cross the humps would result in tires getting stuck/just spinning, greatly worsened as it was quite easy to get high centered on snow:

20201229_162917.thumb.jpg.7f1a123a31c859332d8605ff62f8f4c7.jpg

And this kind of thing I couldn't do at any reasonable speed.  

So, to come back to the Tenere:

I'm hoping the Tenere with it's knobbies and studs should step up a bit.   I've got enough meat left on the rear Scorpion Rally STR, so I'll probably stud that up then grab a cheap new front like a Shinko 804 or 705.   I don't honestly know which would be better - the 804's bigger knobbies would be able to push more snow out of the way, the 705's tread pattern should get much better lateral grip...  Probably the 705 for the front at least - I'm unconcerned about the rear slipping sideways, but you really don't want the front doing that on a road with cars about. 

• Like 1

IMG_5188__55029.1544410400.386.513.jpg?c

Get OBR Grip Mitts for warm and dry hands! Our ¾ open design terminates right at the wrist, but still offers full coverage of the hand while blocking the swirling air flow that freezes finger tips ... without impeding access to...

• Like 1

After a 2 day trip in colder weather, I just ordered a set of those OBR grip mitts. My hands/fingers were the only part of me that suffered with temps in the single digits.

5822B837-4C66-4401-8797-12F47BCD0883.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Camstyn said:

After a 2 day trip in colder weather, I just ordered a set of those OBR grip mitts. My hands/fingers were the only part of me that suffered with temps in the single digits.

I have a set of the OBR Adv Grip Mitts. They help. One set for 3 bikes, it's a very cost-effective option.

• Like 4

Two items were backordered for a long time and arrived within a week of each other, and the heated grips could wait till after summer. 

Koso Apollo Heated Grips - I've used Oxfords on the S-10 and generic elements on other bikes. The Oxfords work very well but the controller is a bit chunky and requires some clever mounting. Also, on both sets I've had, the left grip has melted. That is to say - very worn looking and tacky feeling. I think this is a result of parking outside during Las Vegas summers rather than the element overheating.

I like the integrated controller/setting indicator on the Koso better than any other option and at around $120, competitively priced. I made the wiring tidy and plugged into the OEM heated grips plug. First test ride today and they are meeting expectations.

536030806_KosoApolloHeatedGrips.thumb.jpg.835429214902f50ceda193a3658d01bb.jpg

AltRider Windscreen adjuster. It took 3.5 months from order to delivery. Looks like a quality unit and works as advertised, but is a couple of points away from perfect. For one thing, I couldn't find installation instructions on the AltRider website. Granted it wasn't hard to figure out but I'm a read-the-instructions-first kind of guy. Then there's the adjustment mechanism - 4 thumbscrews accessed from the front of the windscreen. Maybe I like to fiddle with settings too much or it's unsafe to adjust your windscreen while riding, but having to stop and get off the bike for an adjustment doesn't curry favor with me. Then there are those thumbscrews with square-head bolts and plastic washers. They work well and are easy enough to use but I'm a little paranoid about losing one. It's not like you can locktite it because they're meant to be adjusted. I scrounged up a couple of spare nut/bolt/washer sets for my tool kit, just in case. I tested 4 positions on a mostly highway (65-70 mph) ride. Found the highest setting to be smoothest, and the screen is well below my sightline (6' tall). In the long run, I'll probably stick with low for slow and high for fast. The differences are not dramatic, but wind noise and turbulence have a cumulative effect on longer rides.

screen in lowest position

1794310904_AltRiderWindscreenRiser-down.thumb.jpg.3fe78e437e8b76e134bb9d0a9a6577a6.jpg

screen in highest position

The wind tunnel guys are probably having a coniption about that big gap. Don't know yet if it bothers me.

308979374_AltRiderWindscreenRiser-up.thumb.jpg.70057ef7b8d9c4491a04a2de94e3d646.jpg

Seat Concepts Comfort Tall seat (Carbon Fiber Sides / Diamante Vinyl Top) - This is the big item, literally and figuratively. I had Seat Concepts on 3 other bikes, so when the group buy came around, I jumped in. The stock seat is pretty good for me, at least for a couple of hours. A little taller for less knee-bend, a little wider for more tailbone support, and no passenger strap that bugs me when I'm scootching around seemed like worthwhile improvements for the cost and wait (4.2 months; order #101104). My first sitting impression with the bike on center stand was that it was too tall. Felt like I was leaning forward more, putting more pressure on my hands. Not being a sportbiker, I'm used to a very upright riding position. With a 34" inseam, I can still flat-foot it. Sitting static is only a small part of the seating story. Turns out the wind pressure on my shoulders at highway speed pushes me back enough to negate the increased hand pressure when still. I often wear knee braces when I ride, so having a little less knee bend was a welcome relief in that department. Bottom line - barely thought about the seat on my test ride, which is kind of an accolade as seats go. My next 4.5-hour transit will be a more telling test.

seat installed

That's an Outback Motortek luggage rack - no interference. 

1536275679_SeatConceptsComfortTall.thumb.jpg.38f819ed8d7b1c22ff9243ed4309baf1.jpg

SC compared to stock

531637160_SeatConceptsComfortTallxstock.thumb.jpg.c87da810c8bc57ad5fe5489e889b224b.jpg

It's a snug fit, at least the first time, but I hear that's expected. (the hanging strap is for my tank bag)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I've been *strongly* considering ordering this seat myself, this or the tall rally.  A little more height is welcome for me (my knee is shot) and while I don't find the stock seat uncomfortable I REALLY hate the break between it and the pillion seat.  That hard lump when you just want to slide back a bit... Ugh.

• Like 1

That early rally seat is my best addition by far. It doubles the comfort/distance, for me anyway. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the review @Wintersdark of the OBR Adv Grip Mitts.  I just ordered a set too.  Looking at this thread a little ways up it looks like they’ve sent several sets out the door from your post! 👍

Between these, the Oxford heated grips and a heated shield for my helmet (not yet ordered), that should be the ticket for me for fall/ early winter riding! 

Edited by DT675

I debated between the SC tall comfort and tall rally, as I found the stock seat very uncomfortable after a couple hours in the saddle. I went with the tall rally, as in pictures the extra width of the comfort seat just looks a little out of place on these bikes. I almost changed my order a few times, thinking I may be making a mistake as in reality, most of my riding is pavement.

First ride with the tall rally seat on Thursday and Friday, did around 500km’s, about 50/50 pavement and off road, about 9 hours total riding time, my longest days on this bike so far. The seat was great, I only started shifting my butt around a few times on the last hour or so of the ride on pavement seeking relief. That’s a massive improvement from stock. Maybe the comfort seat would be even better yet, but maybe not. I’m glad I stuck with the rally seat, as it makes the bike feel even more like a big MX bike ergonomically than it already did, which is one of my favorite things about this bike. I come from a motocross racing background, I’m fairly new to street riding, and I love how this bike feels and handles in a familiar sort of way off-road.

Bought it 🤣

Installed:

• LED Indicators
  • Rally Tail Tidy
  • Rally Bash Guard
  • OEM Radiator Guard
  • OEM Engine Bars
  • Akrapovic
  • Tank & Side Pads
  • Quadlock
  • Screen Protector
  • Kriega Luggage Loops
  • Removed Pillion Foot Pegs
  • Removed Pillion Seat Strap
  • Front Seat Hack (no need to use allen key)
  • Replaced above with Kriega lashing brackets

Still To Do (immediately):

• Camel Anti-Bobble Head
  • Acerbis Handguards
  • Smaller Unbreakable Rear Plate
  • Soft Luggage Solution
  • Tracker Install

It's been a fun day...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dougie said:

You’d better get more biscuits in. You’ll be done by sunrise. 🍺

Got everything else done today except the tracker, as a friend is installing that so I don't know where it is 🤣

Now just need to get out this weekend.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:22 AM, Camstyn said:

I debated between the SC tall comfort and tall rally, as I found the stock seat very uncomfortable after a couple hours in the saddle. I went with the tall rally, as in pictures the extra width of the comfort seat just looks a little out of place on these bikes. I almost changed my order a few times, thinking I may be making a mistake as in reality, most of my riding is pavement.

God, I'm having this same struggle.   I come from the street purely so I'm not accustomed to a thin seat, but I really think the wider comfort seat is going to look kind of weird on the bike, and I'm not sure I'd find a narrow seat uncomfortable.  I know my standards for comfort are very much different from most people (for example, I sincerely don't understand why people find wind pressure while riding fatiguing; just lean on the wind!) so reviews are pretty subjective.  I've got both in my cart right now, and am really struggling with the decision. 

On 10/12/2021 at 3:10 PM, Burnsey said:

Bought it 🤣

Installed:

• LED Indicators
  • Rally Tail Tidy
  • Rally Bash Guard
  • OEM Radiator Guard
  • OEM Engine Bars
  • Akrapovic
  • Tank & Side Pads
  • Quadlock
  • Screen Protector
  • Kriega Luggage Loops
  • Removed Pillion Foot Pegs
  • Removed Pillion Seat Strap
  • Front Seat Hack (no need to use allen key)
  • Replaced above with Kriega lashing brackets

Still To Do (immediately):

• Camel Anti-Bobble Head
  • Acerbis Handguards
  • Smaller Unbreakable Rear Plate
  • Soft Luggage Solution
  • Tracker Install

It's been a fun day...

Hold up, front seat hack?  No need to use allen key?  What's this now?

I really want a one piece seat in the long run, but it'll be months before I can get a SC seat (that lead time, tho!) and I really, REALLY hate needing a tool to remove the seat.  

Edit: Did my own homework like a good forumgoer: 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

God, I'm having this same struggle.   I come from the street purely so I'm not accustomed to a thin seat, but I really think the wider comfort seat is going to look kind of weird on the bike, and I'm not sure I'd find a narrow seat uncomfortable.  I know my standards for comfort are very much different from most people (for example, I sincerely don't understand why people find wind pressure while riding fatiguing; just lean on the wind!) so reviews are pretty subjective.  I've got both in my cart right now, and am really struggling with the decision. 

To be fair,  a lot of riders of a certain height get buffeted to buggery with the original set up. It’s not wind pressure it’s proper battery of the ears. I went with the low “sports” cut down screen so she rides like a naked. Lots of wind on the chest but clean air. Much better. Trail running helps with the miles too.  And squats. Tighten up that butt😁. The taller oem (original)rally seat is definitely a great addition though. Twice as comfortable. And helps getting over the lowered screen too. 🤘🍺

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I think the comfort seats look fine and not ugly or weird.

Fact is you can't see the seat while you are sitting on it and a pretty seat is not of much use if you have to stop riding because your ass hurts.

I would pick function over form every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, williestreet said:

I think the comfort seats look fine and not ugly or weird.

Fact is you can't see the seat while you are sitting on it and a pretty seat is not of much use if you have to stop riding because your ass hurts.

I would pick function over form every time.

I pick function over form every time too; the problem is that I don't know if the comfort seat would actually be appreciably more comfortable for me or not as the Tall Comfort seat is 1.25" over stock while the Tall Rally seat is 1.875" over stock.  I'm 6'4", and have shot knees - the less bend in my legs the more comfortable they are. Also there's a lot of function in a narrow, tall seat when you're grabbing it with your legs.

This'd be so easy if I could just try the two, but alas.

The SC sport touring seat is amazingly comfortable. I rode 4 ½ hours and never felt a bit of discomfort. 

033CBA82-96F6-47B6-9194-C7602FB3C7F6.jpeg

9BEFEC22-A0B1-43B4-AA72-273ABE503B75.jpeg

3F206F18-F9F3-43BC-864C-5C45A23F51B4.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Hold up, front seat hack?  No need to use allen key?  What's this now?

I really want a one piece seat in the long run, but it'll be months before I can get a SC seat (that lead time, tho!) and I really, REALLY hate needing a tool to remove the seat.  

Edit: Did my own homework like a good forumgoer: 

Apologies, I was in bed - good isn't it!

13 hours ago, One Man Trail said:

Fitted Baja Designs S1 lights where the turn signals used to be. 

0C7FF488-05F2-4521-9E8E-C47D0B6EED08.jpeg

5C0CC088-D12F-49FF-944F-F1D4920FE148.jpeg

Hey, that's a really interesting idea.  I suppose for those of us cheap bastards buying $20 ChinaLights, a set of your normal turn signal adapters would do the job to achieve this.  Of course, it would necessitate some other approach for turn signals, but I really like the idea of having auxiliary lights up there and protected.