Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Seat Concepts 700 seats

Seat Concepts

30 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

Mike

There should be a folded plastic sheet in the package. Easy to miss.

Thank you I found it, would not have noticed that!

• Like 1

OK, for my first post on this site I figured I'd do a quick review of my new Seat Concepts seat.  

I ordered a tall comfort with the low slip cover & carbon sides through the earlier group buy.  First, I really wasn't expecting it to arrive so soon so I was pleasantly surprised when I got the shipping notice, and it showed up at my house a couple days later.

I've installed several of these over the years both on my bikes and for friends and family so I'm pretty familiar with the process.  In my opinion, the one tool that is critical for a proper installation is a decent pneumatic wide crown stapler.  My ancient Harbor Freight stapler has served me well over the years, but unfortunately crapped out at the very end of the front seat installation so I'll hold off until I get another stapler before tackling the passenger seat.  There is something about the compound contours of the T7 seat that made this installation a little more time consuming than others I've done, but the seat cover is made to fit the foam precisely, so if you take your time the final product will look like a factory installation.  An extra set of hands doesn't hurt either.  I had my wife help me and I'd stretch and pull while she stapled.

I did a 3 hour dual sport ride yesterday and never once found myself squirming or moving around to get more comfortable.  Before the new seat I was using an Airhawk on my stock seat and after a while I'd find myself fidgeting and moving around, but the shape and density of the Seat Concepts foam seems to be perfect.  I'd never had a seat with a low slip cover so I thought I'd try it on this seat.  I ride with Aerostich AD1 pants and the low slip cover is like being velcroed to the seat.  I guess that's why they call it low slip, but I'm not used to the sensation of being stuck down like this.  A minor complaint, and certainly not Seat Concepts fault.

So, basically I'm very pleased with the product and give the Seat Concepts seat a big thumbs up.  Be patient and take your time with the installation and you'll be rewarded with a professional looking seat that's a definite improvement in comfort over the stock seat.

• Like 2

Post pictures as you get them installed please. I should have mine on next weekend; Low Comfort. 

10 minutes ago, Barberik said:

Post pictures as you get them installed please. I should have mine on next weekend; Low Comfort. 

me too. Due in by mid-week.

Got my sport touring installed today and I have some feed back.  I'm not a fan of how much I feel the front edges of the seat area on the underside of my legs.  Maybe this will break in, or I'll get use to it.  I'm 6'1" at 192 lbs for reference.  I added more tension as I was installing the cover in those areas to try and bring the front edge of them down a bit.  

There is a lot of interference with my SW Motech rear rack.  It pushes into the rear corners of the seat quite a bit.  This will easily tear through over time.  I may be able to cut some off of the rack for clearance later.  For now I've added three layers of gaffer tape as temporary protection.

Other than that I like it.  Hopefully it'll help undo the damage that the murderous stock seat has done.  My tail bone is still sore.

20201211_190952.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SociallyStunted said:

Got my sport touring installed today and I have some feed back.  I'm not a fan of how much I feel the front edges of the seat area on the underside of my legs.  Maybe this will break in, or I'll get use to it.  I'm 6'1" at 192 lbs for reference.  I added more tension as I was installing the cover in those areas to try and bring the front edge of them down a bit.  

There is a lot of interference with my SW Motech rear rack.  It pushes into the rear corners of the seat quite a bit.  This will easily tear through over time.  I may be able to cut some off of the rack for clearance later.  For now I've added three layers of gaffer tape as temporary protection.

Other than that I like it.  Hopefully it'll help undo the damage that the murderous stock seat has done.  My tail bone is still sore.

20201211_190952.jpg

Hmm. Now that you see it, you can easily pop the staples and shave 1/2" of foam off those rear corners.

Just a heads up for other folks in the US getting their SC kits soon - Harbor Freight has a 15% coupon off this weekend so if you want that pneumatic stapler you can save like $5.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't let you know that for $35 ($5 more) you can get the Arrow brand stapler at Home Depot and it appears to be a little more well constructed. I may try to grab rather than HF brand but my HF receipt says its subject to restocking fee. Plus I don't know how often I'll use this thing so I may be splitting hairs here...

• Like 2

Installed the SC low with rear cover today. Also installed the T7 Rally seat joining kit. Super happy with the results.

63E591D9-7ED5-4153-BD63-17D975B7A8A0.jpeg

7A6B6296-2E5D-4C47-8E6A-5761D91F3101.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HoboHighlander said:

Just a heads up for other folks in the US getting their SC kits soon - Harbor Freight has a 15% coupon off this weekend so if you want that pneumatic stapler you can save like $5.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't let you know that for $35 ($5 more) you can get the Arrow brand stapler at Home Depot and it appears to be a little more well constructed. I may try to grab rather than HF brand but my HF receipt says its subject to restocking fee. Plus I don't know how often I'll use this thing so I may be splitting hairs here...

Which model from harbor freight are y'all using? My kit came in today 😊.

I got my seat installed as well. Took a short ride, i am assuming it will break in a bit. It’s different, not sure if I love it yet will need to ride a bit to know and get used to it.

install was not bad actually, pretty straightforward 

20582517-2D98-4165-8B79-BDD659EBD146.jpeg

E79C83A0-B94C-4FD5-BB1A-895F60FD7E62.jpeg

• Like 2

@tj3089 This $35 one is what I picked up. Actually looks better in hand than the photos led me to believe but again, I'd probably have preferred the name-brand of Arrow for $5 more than what I paid for the Harbor Freight tool. Still, I loaded it up with some T50 staples from my hand-stapler and it seems to fire just fine!

My comfort low and stock p-pad with the RR seat kit to make it a one piece seat. I like it, just wide enough and nice and firm but not too hard.

20201215_183025.jpg

20201215_183033.jpg

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

Installed my low comfort seat this morning. I'm not totally thrilled with how it came out, but that's probably more my fault than the kit. It was my first time covering a seat. 

The seam at the rear of the seat is a little off and I'll probably end up redoing the front, because it's hard to mount the seat now. 

20201217_180510.jpg

20201217_180501.jpg

20201217_090319.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
9 hours ago, tj3089 said:

Installed my low comfort seat this morning. I'm not totally thrilled with how it came out, but that's probably more my fault than the kit. It was my first time covering a seat. 

The seam at the rear of the seat is a little off and I'll probably end up redoing the front, because it's hard to mount the seat now. 

20201217_180510.jpg

20201217_180501.jpg

20201217_090319.jpg

You just need to pull the rear staples out. Reach up and flip the seam down and pull tight/staple. That will clean up the rear seam.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Seat Concepts said:

You just need to pull the rear staples out. Reach up and flip the seam down and pull tight/staple. That will clean up the rear seam.

I'll give it a shot when I re-do the front, I'm happy with it so far. Very nice product and great customer service 👍. Thank you 

7 hours ago, Seat Concepts said:

16 hours ago, tj3089 said:

20201217_180510.jpg

20201217_180501.jpg

20201217_090319.jpg

Did you leave the the fabric pulled through the slot like it was shipped?  I think it’s supposed to be separated, as it doesn’t look like it’ll line up properly. 

I would appreciate someone confirming this as I plan on installing this weekend. I’m assuming the plastic square straps should be cut off too. 

1 hour ago, Barberik said:

Did you leave the the fabric pulled through the slot like it was shipped?  I think it’s supposed to be separated, as it doesn’t look like it’ll line up properly. 

I would appreciate someone confirming this as I plan on installing this weekend. I’m assuming the plastic square straps should be cut off too. 

I installed mine as it shipped and it came out perfect. The only cutting was the trimming  of the seat fabric inboard of the  staples.

7F327EC6-1DA6-409D-B3D7-0755D1B86005.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor

You will not need to remove the pull down if the seat came with one. 

I have the Sport Touring Comfort. 
Mine fit perfectly, seam match up with edge of the seats. 

E6UJm4W.jpg

DGtTWg3.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Love the CF frame cover! Where did you procure that from if I may ask? I know I have seen that logo somewhere....

ACD Frame guard Carbon stickers from our ACD Sponsor here.