Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

Here is a pic with just the rack shown

20201126_074851.jpg

Edited by A A Ron
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:58 AM, JayD said:

I think all the Enduristan stuff looks awesome, but its pricey. For a set of Blizzards and a top Tornado 2 it will be 4-5 times the price of a SW duffel bag with 35/60L storage.

The weight will be carried higher with the duffel bag, and theres more adjustability with the Enduristan setup, but besides this, why shouldnt I just opt for the less pricy alternative?

Im coming from a hard bagged tourer, so please enlighten me with your soft bag knowledge!

I've used both those ,  sw-m 35L & endur Blizz L, imo, there's really no huge benefits w/ either. it's whatever you want to go with. One negative  w/ side bag, if you lay the bike down while riding, bag can/will tear. .

neg. for duffle/tail bag= interferes w/ getting on & off seat.

with each, the stock,provided straps alone didn't secure them tight enough to bike.  i've had to add additional rok straps around them to decrease/elim movement.

10 minutes ago, dao1 said:

I've used both those ,  sw-m 35L & endur Blizz L, imo, there's really no huge benefits w/ either. it's whatever you want to go with. One negative  w/ side bag, if you lay the bike down while riding, bag can/will tear. .

neg. for duffle/tail bag= interferes w/ getting on & off seat.

with each, the stock,provided straps alone didn't secure them tight enough to bike.  i've had to add additional rok straps around them to decrease/elim movement.

Thanks for the response. Thats interesting.

I would much rather have the side panniers and a smaller bag on the top rather than a huge duffel alone on the top. Im leaning towards the lore expensive option.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, alistair said:

Anyone know the difference between the Outback Motoretek asymmetrical and symmetrical pannier racks?

The website says the asymmetrical are narrower 55cm, but it doesn't say how wide the symmetrical ones are.

Anyone got any pictures of them as a comparison?

Also the standard panniers work with both Kriega OS 22 and 32 whereas the X frame are only listed as working with the 32, is that right? Cant see how that would work.

I am looking at the same. The symmetrical looks way too wide. Must be way over 60cm.
My understanding is that you need x frame for both os32/22 if you don’t want to use the kriega os plate. With standard outback pannier frames, you need the kriega OS plate. The x frame gives the support and has the extra bits where the straps go. 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

And you can have them off the bike in 5 minutes and just use the top rack for daily use if you are not carrying luggage... Well designed I think 

Adventure spec advise NOT to use a top case though

On 9/2/2020 at 6:18 AM, Rich TT said:

Hi @dobbi

On the top box side, I have the adventure spec rear rack (super light, strong and the best looking one in my opinion) and a universal givi plate (£20 or something from Sportsbike shop) and I kept my givi top box from my Pegaso and it works a treat. I can still get my rally seat on and off.

I use this for commuting to keep my helmet/gloves locked away, but for fun trips I plan to get the Enduristan L or XL. I will then take them off at night, so not worried about security.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20200813_182311.jpg

Adventure spec specifically say not to fit a top box.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, Teambeer said:

I bought a Givi Monokey plate and mounted it to the OM plate.  Having the extra plate bugs me, but mounting to Givi plate directly to the OM rear rack is a little tricky without blocking seat removal.  I’m trying to come up with a mounting plate that will let me move the plate back far enough and use the three existing mounting holes on the plate.

490AB90F-3071-4048-B6B8-125077225BDE.jpeg

92135756-D1E1-41C1-9285-B38E1E9C52AC.jpeg

Good to see you have tried what I was thinking of. 
I want the Om asymmetrical pannier frames and top rack, but with a top case and soft panniers. You have done a good job, but it just looks off. Look forward to you finding and posting a solution. Cheers

Has anyone installed the Hepco &Becker  C -bow carrier with soft bags on their Tenere 700 ?  Looking for options for next years travel adventures. We travel 2upspacer.png

I’m going with the SW Motech SYSbags, I like the quick release backplate but not too keen on their SLC side racks for the T7. For me they stick out too much.

My plan is to mount their 15L bag on the pillion seat and have a 10L bag either side attached to the 15 when I need more capacity.

I knocked up a carrier rack,  just need to paint it and I’ll post a few pics of the various bag combos next week when I get a break from work.

81307FC8-4D51-4ADA-A050-5FDC81FE8F86.jpeg

On 10/21/2020 at 4:27 AM, AZJW said:

I haven't read all 13 pages of this thread, so this may have been covered already.  Unfortunately,  the plan to run my Mosko R40 bags on my T7 didn't get very far. After throwing them over the seat it's very evident that the R40 was designed for a narrow dual sport vs the wider seat and girth of an ADV.  Pics I've seen of the R80 appear to be a good fit, but unless the newer version of the R40 allows for a wider center section, these aren't going to work very well.

20200903_160603.jpg

The R80’s fit the profile of the bike perfectly 

2ABF7856-B50D-4CD7-AEFF-BC92A39F770A.jpeg

• Like 2

Enduristan Blizzard XL drybags look like a good fit with the Outback Motortek combo rack.  Now I just need to fill them up with camping gear...

IMG_9556 (1).jpg

IMG_9605 (1).jpg

• Like 3

On 11/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, Jalamajohn said:

Enduristan Blizzard XL drybags look like a good fit with the Outback Motortek combo rack.  Now I just need to fill them up with camping gear...

That's fitted with no side rack, correct?    I'm considering that with no tail rack either.

Edited by papab

Correct.  No side racks.  Tail rack not needed.  I can mount these with the straps over or under the handles on the tail rack.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, BAM2002 said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

I added a Touratech rear rack - a tool box. Tusk tank bag and Oxford rear bag . For camping gear I use a Giant Loop - coyote bag. 

2186C8D7-B561-475C-B3CC-AA88C34B3203.jpeg

EDCB3B34-709C-4F12-9208-6FA9E3950E7E.jpeg

Hi

Are you bothered by the blinker to open and access the toolbox? It looks like the back door flips down on the blinker.

• Moderators

Utilizing the Tusk rack, I mounted an EMGO trunk from Amazon for about $65. It doesn't win any style awards, but having used one on my DRZ for dual sport riding,  they are pretty tough cases for what they are. It barely holds a full face Shoei helmet ( no visor), so it isn't very large, but great for short trips where the side cases would be overkill.  Main reason for getting it was the Boss wanted a backrest to feel more secure, so who am I to argue?  😉

20201207_064144.jpg

20201207_064254.jpg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 11/6/2020 at 6:58 PM, BAM2002 said:

Tool box is from 3yTech in Italy.  Very well-made but not big enough for the fuel bottles see the photo below. The fuel bottle is actually longer and wider than the box. I use the toolbox to hold my front axle nut adapter a patch kit and some tire forks .  Plus a few miscellaneous wrenches. I will probably try to mount the fuel bottles high on the front HEED engine guard when that arrives next week. I need to see if I can mount them in a safe place .

Looks nice.

In case anyone is trying to find this,  the company is actually MyTech:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a bike with luggage so pretty new for me. 

I want soft luggage. I will be doing long trips on corrugated roads, lots of vibrations. To me makes sense to have a rack to hold the luggage in this circumstance? Is the non rack soft luggage more for on road trips?

I like the look of rally raid and adv spec from looking at pics, i have to order from over seas for 2 bikes so...is there much practical difference between them in terms of weight and strength and durability? 

I do like the extra exhaust bracing on the rally raid.

I’ve just fitted the Rally-Raid racks and exhaust bracket.

I’d say that the racks are strong, well made and easy to fit and remove.

The luggage fitting choices is vast thanks to all of the holes and slots in the plates.

The exhaust bracket is a very sturdy addition to help prevent the original exhaust hanger being bent.

The only began with the bracket is that it “blocks” the use of one of the strapping slots on the luggage rack.

They look OK, don’t interfere with the indicators, turn signals for you North American’s, and I think that they will be great. 

• Like 1

Has anyone mixed side and rear racks from different manufactures?

I was thinking of getting the Touratech side racks (so I can mount my Mosko Moto Backcountry panniers), with  the SW Motech rear rack which can work with a wide variety of boxes and also accept the ADV rack to use with my waterproof 40lt travel bag. This way I can get the best of both worlds for my setup.    

Touratech Side racks + SW Motech rear might work ... maybe not strate out of the box. But it looks like it is a matter of spacers. So you will have first a spacer for sw motech then the rear rack than a spacer (maybe the one for sw motech side bags will work) then the Touratech Side racks. Maybe cutting Touratech spacers to the appropriate length will work.

See installation instructions of both
https://sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/default/artikelpdf/gpt_06_799_19000_b.pdf

https://shop.touratech.fr/media/manuals/09-632-5555-0.pdf

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, didier said:

Touratech Side racks + SW Motech rear might work ... maybe not strate out of the box. But it looks like it is a matter of spacers. So you will have first a spacer for sw motech then the rear rack than a spacer (maybe the one for sw motech side bags will work) then the Touratech Side racks. Maybe cutting Touratech spacers to the appropriate length will work.

See installation instructions of both
https://sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/default/artikelpdf/gpt_06_799_19000_b.pdf

https://shop.touratech.fr/media/manuals/09-632-5555-0.pdf

Thank you didier. My thought exactly. I have seen both instructions and they have a lot of spacers and I am positive I can find the right combination to make it work. On the other hand they cost a lot of money and if someone had previously done it would be ideal. 

Has anyone fitted Givi aftermarket pannier racks to the OEM rear topbox rack? They look like they should fit as I believe the OEM topbox rack is a Givi item in any case. I'd get the Yamaha OEM pannier racks as well but they seem to be configured for the Givi Cam-Side fittings and I have the Alaska alloy boxes already which are Monokey.

Is anyone using these in the wild. Andy Strapz frames? They look to not stick out a lot, brace the exhaust and they're light. Any massive advantage with adv spec or rally raid over these for soft bags. 

They dont look at sexy, but anything else??

500x500-thumbnail-1580187704.Tenere-700-

Andy Strapz 700 Tenere soft saddle bag luggage set up is narrow, tough and light.

• Like 1

@ MotoCP, i think the rackless 40 fits  perfect  to  the bike. No issues at all. Want to keep the bike as light as possible.

after having seen a Video of  Nerb1 who had broken parts on the plastic side panels due to the weight , i think of mounting the AS side panels. I can easily mount  it  with a 30 ltr center bag as well.

A0DD3BF8-0289-4004-BF4E-AACDFD1ACCFD.jpeg.26d652a577c0edfe559a22261989bdd0.jpeg

E97CF5CD-82AB-4CB4-ACF8-69D0AE5519CE.jpeg

8F3424F4-4F3A-47DF-BFB9-675EA1F37E24.jpeg

• Like 2