Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

19 hours ago, OK185 said:

These look quite amazing. Yes they weigh a litte more but fast on off system with a key is a giant advantage. No messing around with straps or the bags shaking around like the rackless systems.

I think these paired with the Ride-ADV luggage rack (which still aren't really available outside of Australia) would be the ultimate solution. And they also cost half as the moskomoto bags.

Sadly at the moment there are no other full size luggage racks that make the bike not 2 meters wide.

rideadv.JPG

Been bugging those guys to get shipping options to USA on those racks. No luck so far...

15 minutes ago, Atomizer said:

Been bugging those guys to get shipping options to USA on those racks. No luck so far...

have bin thinking to fabric a look alike for my self.  ordering a outback motortek x fraim and welding some my self

tough not jet at that point. hoping Ride-ADV opens up world wide.

1 hour ago, CoreCass said:

have bin thinking to fabric a look alike for my self.  ordering a outback motortek x fraim and welding some my self

tough not jet at that point. hoping Ride-ADV opens up world wide.

Nice man, post some pics when your done. And yes, hope they do open up world wide...

This is my take on luggage for the Yamaha Ténéré 700; hard aluminum cases.

I used the original Yamaha rear rack, which is Awesome because it makes moving the bike around, placing the bike onto the center stand etc. So-Much-Easier due to to the two large grab handles.

The original rear rack is made to fit Givi Monokey top boxes.  Givi makes the original top and side cases for the Ténéré 700, so I fitted a Givi Trekker Outback 42 liter top box.

After some modifications with the help of an angle grinder with both cutting and grinding discs, drill bits, files and some black spray paint, the Givi side case rack fits perfect and houses two Givi Trekker Alaska side cases.

All the Givi "stuff" I have installed on the bike, is of very high quality, and is pretty well thought through.

So far I have found that the German items installed is the least well made and engineered, with all items manufactured in China, France, Italy, Japan, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom well ahead in engineering and quality! Times have changed!

• Like 3

@orbsurfer I was just looking at the option to place a Givi V46 top case on my Tusk rear side rack with top plate. I’ve had the case on the shelf for awhile. A replacement Tusk rear top plate, setup for the Givi monokey base similar to what you show on the oem, would be ideal.

The only option I’ve found so far is a Givi E251 universal monokey top case adapter plate to mount on top of the Tusk rear top plate. It seems clunky to have two rear plates, one mounted on top of another. Is anyone aware of any other options? 

I did notice that the V46 top case would have to overhang the bike rear a bit, to allow removal/use of the passenger seat. That is a concern but I see your pictures show a similar rear overhang of the Trekker box. Have you noticed any handling influence as a result? Thanks much. 

• Like 1

No, I have used the Givi Trekker Outback box for a while now, and have zero bad experience with it.

Packing the boxes is similar to packing a large hiking backpack. Place all the heavy items low and close to the body; i.e. place heavy items on the inside of the side cases and towards the front, and leave the lighter items for the top box.

You might be able to just move the three tabs, two mushroom shaped ones and one wedge shaped one, to the existing rack top plate in order to lock the case in place.

It seems like whatever I install on the bike, I have to hit the hardware store for new bolts and do some cutting and painting! 🙂 

Good advice for the packing of gear. I do the same: pack heavy items low, inside and to the front, and light items on top and in the top case. 

My initial impression is the Tusk rear top plate needs to be a bit larger from front to rear to provide sufficient area to simply mount the two front mushroom pieces and the rear wedge piece. The width appears to be sufficient. The side rack with top plate is quite rugged and may support the top case with a light load.

I will try the E251 universal adapter to mount the Givi V46 top case and see if I like how it works. Thanks very much for your reviews and for your response. Be safe.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:07 AM, Darrenheli said:

Has anyone tried a handle bar bag they look handy.

Headphones jack hole on a motorcycle luggage really 😄 Well ok it can be used for USB charging.

I have a similar one from Givi.
t516-2.jpg
It is a nice have but not a must have. You can't put much in it, just some staff like wallet, highway badge, phone(if you don't use it for navigation), maybe some small tools.

It can be a good addition for som rear luggage if you don't like tank bags.

There are two things I don't really like about this design.

- the top zip is not large enough and that makes a small opening. So it is not easy to put larger objects inside.

- the double D rings attachment is not practical. Eventually quick release buckles would be better.

I was looking to do something like that but found it easier to move the mounting tabs to the OM plate.

F5225D39-B863-4333-81A2-6E816E9E8BE9.jpeg

• Like 1

@Teambeer I just read back through the thread and see what you did. A replacement top plate for the Tusk plate that is large enough to accept the Givi mount hardware could work. I believe you have the Outback Motortek plate? I’ll page back and check. The Givi V46 is very similar in shape and size to the Shad 48 that @Inroads mounted. Thanks to both of you for your pics and posts. 

I also have install the Givi plo2145, but like i have the T7 Rally tail tidy, i must put the rear cross bar up side down, like this.

Do you think it would touch the tire when the suspension is compressed?

IMG_20210220_181335~2.jpg

IMG_20210220_183714.jpg

IMG_20210220_181420.jpg

13 hours ago, Lupan said:

I also have install the Givi plo2145, but like i have the T7 Rally tail tidy, i must put the rear cross bar up side down, like this.

Do you think it would touch the tire when the suspension is compressed?

IMG_20210220_181335~2.jpg

IMG_20210220_183714.jpg

IMG_20210220_181420.jpg

I doubt it would but why not test it? Put it on the center stand or a suitable jack, remove a bolt from the linkage and move the swing arm all the way up.

Then you’ll know for sure

Mike

Edited by MikeCMP
Autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, T7norway said:

Which angle do you have on the tail tidy? The EU approved or the less legal one?

There is a mandated angle for a tail tidy in Europe?

Mike

3 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

There is a mandated angle for a tail tidy in Europe?

Mike

T7 Rally has 2 versions. I have the less vertical one and are going to buy the rack that you have.

https://t7rally.com/shop/ols/products/yamaha-t7-tenere-700-tail-tidy

https://t7rally.com/shop/ols/products/yamaha-t7-tenere-700-30deg-tail-tidy-ymh-t7-tnr-7001

Which one have you got? 

Edited by T7norway

Just mounted RR soft luggage racks to accommodate my R80 setup. I am pretty happy with it. No mods necessary with my Tusk top plate. Just a couple spacers that were included with the RR hardware pack. Stoked I have a top box now for in town and the Mosko setup ready for a month or two extended trip.

20210226_145558.jpg

20210226_145532.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, Teambeer said:

I use a Trekker with Outback Motortek racks.  I had to modify the OM plate to accept the Trekker but it turned out to be easy.  I also have Giant Loop side bags, but I have been able to get out with them yet.

401007E4-5E92-4678-A41D-F3E048B2275B.jpeg

Hey mate, I was thinking about pairing a SWmotech rear rack (as it's imo the less bulky rear rack able to carry (easily) a Givi Trekker top case) with Outback's panniers, but I just saw what you did... Can you explain a bit how you've done it? Maybe some pictures will help. I'm definetly going for the Outback combo if it's not too hard to make the Givi Trekker fit on it.

I had purchased the Givi plate to mount to the Outback Motortek top rack, but I couldn’t  find a way to make it fit.  After messing around with several other solutions I realized that I could remove the mounting pieces from the Givi plate, use the Givi plate as a template and install the pieces to the OM plate.  It was easy.  So much easier than anything else I tried.  I don’t know if you can buy the mounting pieces from Givi.

Small Enduristan bags go well on the stock Yamaha crashbars.  Tools and tubes...

IMG_0105 (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Teambeer said:

I had purchased the Givi plate to mount to the Outback Motortek top rack, but I couldn’t  find a way to make it fit.  After messing around with several other solutions I realized that I could remove the mounting pieces from the Givi plate, use the Givi plate as a template and install the pieces to the OM plate.  It was easy.  So much easier than anything else I tried.  I don’t know if you can buy the mounting pieces from Givi.

You can buy the givi mounting pieces from SW Motech

• Like 1

I decided to go with SW-Motech PRO Cargobag tail bag. It fits the bike well, has a capacity of 50 Liters, plenty for me, even for long trips. Quality of build and materials used is excellent. No racks required.

20210305_175007.jpg

20210305_175018.jpg

Edited by brasscycleworks
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, brasscycleworks said:

I decided to go with SW-Motech PRO Cargobag tail bag. It fits the bike well, has a capacity of 50 Liters, plenty for me, even for long trips. Quality of build and materials used is excellent. No racks required.

I have the first gen cargo bag, been on 5 bikes and probably 50k miles on it, still in good shape! 

Was thinking about getting Tusk racks and using boxes I already have (Identical to Tusk) but seems racks are back ordered till May, wondering how that Cargobag is gonna work, does it require paint protection film? (rubs?)