Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

On 3/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, brasscycleworks said:

I just got it today, from a mock up install, paint protection is needed in a least two spots(possibly more). Front straps will rub, on the lower portion of the rear cowling (near passenger foot pegs). Clear vinyl sheet 8"x 11" is included. Will post more pics in a day or two. 

How's that bag working out for you?  Found them on sale for 30% off.  Thinking about getting one, or maybe the rearbag tail bag.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bgweed said:

How's that bag working out for you?  Found them on sale for 30% off.  Thinking about getting one, or maybe the rearbag tail bag.

It works very well, I like it a lot. With the 50 liter max volume it suits my travel needs. With this bag I can go on a 2 week trip with no issues, and have all the necessary items with me including tools, spare tubes etc. No camping gear.     

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the price on ebay for overseas products is the total price, or do they add customs, tariffs, etc?

On 5/14/2021 at 12:15 AM, blues bob said:

Does anyone know if the price on ebay for overseas products is the total price, or do they add customs, tariffs, etc?

Depends where you live.

If you’re in the USA then the European prices are that and that’s it. NO Import, Duty or VAT fees are added when ordering from the USA. 👍🏻 I’ve bought dozens of things from Europe, China, Russia, Japan, etc while living in the USA. 

If in Canada you can be hit with a few Duty and Import fees that can add up very quickly. I’m Canadian so I’ve shipped several items back home to friends and family over the years. I’ve also been up there and needed to order items from the USA or Europe a few times and those extra fees are almost always added and just straight up hurt. 

I have imported HUZAR exhaust & Heed Bulk Crash bars just recently into Canada & Mr. Customs Man must have been asleep...no tax/duties. Although a friend had to pay $22 for his Heed crash bars.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 6:45 AM, Seventh Son said:

I just fitted a set of Nelson-Rigg Sierra dry saddle bags onto the new Rally Raid soft pannier racks.  The racks are great and have a nice slim profile with plenty of cutouts for tie-down points.  Very sturdy as well.  The Nelson Rigg bags are great too, and quite a bargain for being under $200 USD.

Nelson-Rigg bags.jpg

RR-2.jpg

@Seventh Son do you have a rear view picture you can post showing the Nelson Rigg bags with your RR side racks?

43 minutes ago, RideID said:

@Seventh Son do you have a rear view picture you can post showing the Nelson Rigg bags with your RR side racks?

Here you go. 

RR - soft luggage racks-2.jpg

• Like 3

These threads can be a bit like oil and tire threads but I do like seeing what everyone else is running.  I think it boils down to what you want the bike to look/feel like and what your uses will be.  

For me, I'm about 95% sure I'm going with a Mosko Reckless 80 system (whenever they come back in stock).  I've had homemade setups with soft gear, homemade setups with hard cases bolted to my bikes, as well as aluminum pannier systems that were mass produced.  I'm really thinking that the sweet spot will be the setup that Mosko has come up with, but if I'm wrong I will go a different direction.

57 minutes ago, Seventh Son said:

Here you go. 

RR - soft luggage racks-2.jpg

Right on, very helpful, thanks very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, advrallymoto said:

These threads can be a bit like oil and tire threads but I do like seeing what everyone else is running.  I think it boils down to what you want the bike to look/feel like and what your uses will be.  

For me, I'm about 95% sure I'm going with a Mosko Reckless 80 system (whenever they come back in stock).  I've had homemade setups with soft gear, homemade setups with hard cases bolted to my bikes, as well as aluminum pannier systems that were mass produced.  I'm really thinking that the sweet spot will be the setup that Mosko has come up with, but if I'm wrong I will go a different direction.

After doing an 8 day 2600 mile round trip camping with the Reckless 80 I’m sold on the system. It’s a little fiddley at first but works well when actually using it.  Absolutely bulletproof and kept everything dry and dust free.  
The beaver tail makes it really flexible. If anything it’s capacity is too big. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liquidape said:

After doing an 8 day 2600 mile round trip camping with the Reckless 80 I’m sold on the system. It’s a little fiddley at first but works well when actually using it.  Absolutely bulletproof and kept everything dry and dust free.  
The beaver tail makes it really flexible. If anything it’s capacity is too big. 

Yeah, one of my initial thoughts was that I wished they'd done a 65L setup.  Seems like that would have been useful to a lot of people. But it's ok, if I have extra room, I can always find lightweight, yet bulky items (like pillows or extra clothes) to take up the extra room that make my trips more enjoyable.

Do gotta keep in mind that there are different configurations of the 80L loadout that can make it different sizes (according to the info from Mosko)...but I haven't used it, so I don't know how those work out in practice.

Edited by advrallymoto

6 hours ago, advrallymoto said:

Yeah, one of my initial thoughts was that I wished they'd done a 65L setup.  Seems like that would have been useful to a lot of people. But it's ok, if I have extra room, I can always find lightweight, yet bulky items (like pillows or extra clothes) to take up the extra room that make my trips more enjoyable.

Do gotta keep in mind that there are different configurations of the 80L loadout that can make it different sizes (according to the info from Mosko)...but I haven't used it, so I don't know how those work out in practice.

Yeah you can remove the 4l Aux pods from the bottom of the legs but they are a pain in the arse to install the first time soooo ah no. You can also leave the 20 l to duffle behind and remove the beaver tail if you want as well. Easier to do. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that looks like a pretty decent set-up. I think it would need to be at least 20L for me though. When i was riding with a buddy, i was a little jealous watching him get in and out of his hard cases so quickly while it took me forever to get into my soft bags with all the straps. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I think that looks like a pretty decent set-up. I think it would need to be at least 20L for me though. When i was riding with a buddy, i was a little jealous watching him get in and out of his hard cases so quickly while it took me forever to get into my soft bags with all the straps. 

Yep, it's hard to beat the convenience of hard cases and the ability to organize so easily since they are rigid.  My buddy has a SuperT with hard cases and I thought the same thing.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DT675 said:

This feeling fades away when you use half an hour and all the tools you are carrying  just to get the damn thing open again after an innocent fall. Or when you're taping the cracked case back together with duct tape.

Of course if most of your riding is something that this kind of mishaps are quite rare, then I'd go for hard cases. So much more convenient.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got and used the new GIVI GRT721. I combined it with mismatched drybags I already had. One is 9.5l and the other 13.5. They suggest using 20l bags, but I have not purchased them yet. The fit took a little while to get right, but once you figure it out, it is solidly strapped to the bike with little to no play. The central straps are unfortunately too short to accommodate the 30l givi rolltop bag. I used a pair of rokstraps to attach it. The GRT721 is inexpensive and allows you to choose bags to go with it, which I found appealing. IMG_20210718_094923.thumb.jpg.aa880f6953d9daa87cb2fdcc80e7ce5b.jpg

IMG_20210718_154832.thumb.jpg.7a72ea17d117c8196b44a07abc1a3682.jpg

IMG_20210718_154840.thumb.jpg.497ddbd4f120d00e02a0cd155008df35.jpg

The only thing to note is that instead of strapping the rear under the tail section as is suggested by GIVI, I connected it to the rear grommets as to avoid putting pressure on the plastics.

IMG-20210718-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.00fc884938d6b420e75685f3425536cb.jpeg

IMG-20210718-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.2fb70613a4a07b559c6b4c09a85bb987.jpeg

I suspect that this will be more than enough for the types of journeys I have planned. Two 20l on side and 30l top for a total of 70l is probably the limit for this harness.

• Like 3

@Stabilo_Boss I really like your set up. It’s very similar to my Tusk set up but looks like your side bags can hold a little more. 

I recently added AUX bags to each of my side bags (via Molle sticks??) so I’m hoping that will round things out nicely. 

5 hours ago, Rickster said:

Has anyone tried the Burmot solution on a T7 yet?

I had the older style bags on my super Tenere, they were fantastic. I talked to the distributor here in the state and my old bags would not fit their new racks without some work. 

I would definitely recommend their luggage, sturdy, waterproof, lockable.

Mike

6 hours ago, Rickster said:

Has anyone tried the Burmot solution on a T7 yet?

Scroll up to my post of May 11th. Camped with them again last weekend. Great system for me.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:17 AM, wncrider said:

Scroll up to my post of May 11th. Camped with them again last weekend. Great system for me.

Sorry… I was meaning the metal Burmot panniers. This would be more of a RTW expedition.

50 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Sorry… I was meaning the metal Burmot panniers. This would be more of a RTW expedition.

Bumot have pictures of hard panniers on t7 on their website. I looked long and hard at that solution for my own long (multi month) overlanding. Decided against hard cases in the end. Fitted bullet proof outback Mototrek asymmetrical pannier frames and rear rack. Have kriega OS 32/22 on the pannier frames (no Kriega plate required due to Outback Mototrek design features) and Lone rider Overlander 48 on the rack. Much narrower than hard cases and much more crash proof. Each bag locked with steel core locks. Couple of Lomo bags on the outback Mototrek full crash bars. Topped off with Mosko Moto Nomax tank bag. Overland ready…once we can travel properly again. Also lowered 20 mm and upgraded rear spring. Actually one thing left to do…new seat solution. Cheers

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 9:16 AM, Rickster said:

I ordered the Bumot hard panniers/rack last year.  The panniers were very nice, but I couldn't get the rack to fit.  I wondered if perhaps the Japanese bike have slightly different luggage hard points than the European-built ones (on which Bumot designed their stuff).  Or perhaps the rack was just that far out of spec.

The USA distributor sent me a return label but advised that if the rack fit on a test T7 that they would not reimburse the shipping cost (they would subtract it from my refund).  I ended up getting a full refund so apparently they repeated the issue.  

The Bumot rack was quite heavy.  I ultimately went with a soft/hard combo of Kriega OS-Base + Givi top box on a B&B Off-road rear rack.  I leave the top box at home if going mostly off road.  I love this setup.

• Like 1

Waiting to give my last passenger their ride (my wife) and then I am installing my solo racks from RideADV.com.au and putting on my Turkana HippoHips Saddlebags for a few days away.  Also have the Duffalo from Turkana.  Great quality and looking forward to putting them to the test.  

Edited by roygilbo
grammar
  • Like 2

I’m not sure why soft luggage is not considered worthy of a RTW trip. Especially the sturdy, removable Bumot stuff. I’m not going RTW but I wouldn’t change my current setup much if I was. 

• Like 1