Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

2 hours ago, Amani said:

Just put a Tusk top rack on mine and I like it more than I thought I would.

1611884320070-167667064.jpg

Is the height of the Tusk flush with the passenger seat?  How heavy is it?

1 hour ago, Liquidape said:

Is the height of the Tusk flush with the passenger seat?  How heavy is it?

It is pretty flush with the seat height. I can get a pic tomorrow. It is a bit heavy as you would expect but not overly so. I am considering using an Outback Trekker top box around town for security and convenience and then switch to the Mosko setup when I go on trips. I think this will be just enough to support the top box.

12 hours ago, Amani said:

It is pretty flush with the seat height. I can get a pic tomorrow. It is a bit heavy as you would expect but not overly so. I am considering using an Outback Trekker top box around town for security and convenience and then switch to the Mosko setup when I go on trips. I think this will be just enough to support the top box.

20210129_112007.jpg

20210129_111955.jpg

20210129_111943.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bror said:

Hello
Has anyone installed the Enduristan Base Pack on Yamaha OEM Crash bars?
Do they fit well?
Pictures?

707-510x340.jpg

Yes I carry tools and tubes in Enduristan base packs son my Yamaha crash bars.  They seem made for it and also provide some wind/crash protection.  I have used zipties for security in addition to the straps.  For day rides in the dirt I take them off and tie them on my tail rack.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think abaut this bags?

I like it because they have the monokey fitment... The only problem is that they have the same size... 25 lts, why they don't made one with 25 and other with 35...

Screenshot_20210126-193153~2.png

Edited by Lupan

@Lupan I don't consider it a problem to have two bags of the same size. 

Like I showed in this thread, I have the SW Motech boxes which are also equal sized. Ok the one on the right hand side of the bike sticks out a bit more than the one on the left hand side. But you consider that when backing, you just try to pack a bit less in the bag / case that sticks out more from the bike's center and you're good to go. 

This is my personal opinion and I don't consider it to be general truth. I think possible handling problems are not only based on the position of that one box/bag. They generally come from packing too much stuff and riding a bike that's then too heavy, maybe also too top-heavy. But unless you have an Unimog, you can't ride a truck through the mountains - meaning if it get's tricky, try to be as light as possible !

On 1/16/2021 at 3:58 AM, brasscycleworks said:

Has anyone tried the SW motech EVO Cargobag tail bag?

whilst not having tried that specific bag, I can generally confirm that SW Motech bags are ok, since I use one on my other adventure bike: 

IMG_20150630_114353.thumb.jpg.57ee3feea9030c62bcb66ce29f67c980.jpg

IMG_20150630_120447_hdr.thumb.jpg.8bb1708c6f90de9f942891696dd6e5fd.jpg

This is an Evo Racepack. I have already tried to attach it to the T7 which also goes pretty easy. The Cargopack might be better than the Racepack though, because it's flatter by design so you're getting less top-weight.

• Like 3

Ok, and what no you think abaut the bags itself? With the fitment monokey, it's very pratic, one second pop off, and for OffRoad is it safe for the bags?

I'd say the monokey system "can be practical" if you know you'll take them off and put them back on very often. If that's not the case, it only adds weight. 

Most fellows who show bags in this thread say that it's very quick and easy to install them and take them off again, so this might just be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:35 AM, qInvention said:

I've been asked by pm to post detail pictures of my setup, so here they are.

2x45 L Sidecases - Bike is 117cm wide (!)

20200518_141203.jpg

20200518_141235.jpg

Can you tell me what tank bag that is? It looks like it sits great on the T7 tank. 

@Unzy If I remember correctly, it's a SW Motech Enduro. It seems as if it's not produced anymore. I had a quick look at their page and I can only find the Enduro LT, which is smaller I think. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 11:52 AM, Marc said:

I don’t see Caribou Cases discussed on this forum. The S10 crowd uses them quite a bit. It’s a great hard luggage option that is nearly indestructible. Affordable as well.

cariboucases.com

I looked at the Caribou system just last week. I remember when they first came out in the mid-2000's, a quality rear case solution adopted by many adventure riders of the time. The picture of a truck front wheel parked on top of a Caribou case to demonstrate the case toughness always stuck with me. They use Hepco Becker rear racks for the T7. Plus, they have a repaceable break away mechanism that will protect the frame in case of a severe get off.

I'm torn between soft luggage and hard luggage for the T7. I like the idea of soft luggage when unmaintained road riding, but the easily accessible, removeable and hoseable hard luggage for multi-day ride convenience. Ultimately, I decided to try the Tusk large aluminum boxes and racks combo and test them over my wide mix of rides planned for the coming season. I've seen some pics of dented aluminum boxes so durability is one consideration. We'll see if they or I survive my putting the T7 to the test.  :muutt

1 hour ago, dmottv said:

I looked at the Caribou system just last week. I remember when they first came out in the mid-2000's, a quality rear case solution adopted by many adventure riders of the time. The picture of a truck front wheel parked on top of a Caribou case to demonstrate the case toughness always stuck with me. They use Hepco Becker rear racks for the T7. Plus, they have a repaceable break away mechanism that will protect the frame in case of a severe get off.

I'm torn between soft luggage and hard luggage for the T7. I like the idea of soft luggage when unmaintained road riding, but the easily accessible, removeable and hoseable hard luggage for multi-day ride convenience. Ultimately, I decided to try the Tusk large aluminum boxes and racks combo and test them over my wide mix of rides planned for the coming season. I've seen some pics of dented aluminum boxes so durability is one consideration. We'll see if they or I survive my putting the T7 to the test.  :muutt

My two cents...

I have done extensive trips with both hard boxes and Mosko's R80. For longer adv trips, I don't see using hard cases ever again. I have had close calls having leg parts sucked under boxes during get offs. Good boots are a must. The security and convenience of boxes is the biggest plus for me. However, I have smashed one when the bike fell perfectly onto a curb standing still and fully loaded. My compromise at this point is having an Outback Trekker top box for security and grocery trips in town. I plan on removing it for trips.

Using the R80 takes a bit of getting used to all the straps and buckles. Now it is not even a thing. The advantages are not noticing they are there and excellent crash protection. Being so tight to the bike makes a huge difference imo. Also they are bomb proof. I've slid on them and spun the bike on them numerous times and they are unscathed. Totally waterproof as well. I'm sold on soft luggage for off pavement. Have yet to test if they might save the dreaded exhaust hanger in a drop.

Edited by Amani
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Amani said:

My compromise at this point is having an Outback Trekker top box for security and grocery trips in town...

I'm sold on soft luggage for off pavement. Have yet to test if they might save the dreaded exhaust hanger in a drop.

@Amani What size Trekker top box? I usually prefer a waterproof duffle across the seat for longer trips but a top box works well as you say. I have an older Givi V46 or V36, don't know the exact model, that I was thinking of mounting it for similar use.

All:

I just installed the RMATV Tusk rear side rack kit that includes the rear top plate. The rear top plate, along with the rear cross over bar, ties the two side racks together and makes it a robust rack solution that will help protect the rear of the bike, exhaust, signal lights, etc. and feels solid enough to grab ahold of to muscle the bike around. 

Also, I have the B&B Offroad plate holder tail tidy installed:

https://procycle.us/product/2351-license-plate-holder-bb-road-engineering

The Tusk side rack kit rear cross over bar crosses over at the bottom of the B&B plate holder and clears to the outside of it by about an inch. Our moto license plate is about 6" tall and is legible above the cross over bar. 

Edited by dmottv
the rack protects the exhaust too

I use a Trekker with Outback Motortek racks.  I had to modify the OM plate to accept the Trekker but it turned out to be easy.  I also have Giant Loop side bags, but I have been able to get out with them yet.

401007E4-5E92-4678-A41D-F3E048B2275B.jpeg

• Like 1

Mounted a Shad 48L top box off the Tusk top rack...

Shad boxes are nice as they have a hidden latch so no key needed open and close

IMG_20210203_173616083_HDR.jpg

Edited by Inroads

These are for the Givi plo 2145 mk, here in Europe cost around 180€...

The rack must be monokey givi/kappa

I realy think this is a good solution, and its easy to use on and OffRoad, probably i'm going to buy one of these, like i say, the only handicap it's there are both 25 lts, if the left one have 35 it would be perfect to my use... And look better also

Edited by Lupan

On 2/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, dmottv said:

@Amani What size Trekker top box? I usually prefer a waterproof duffle across the seat for longer trips but a top box works well as you say. I have an older Givi V46 or V36, don't know the exact model, that I was thinking of mounting it for similar use.

All:

I just installed the RMATV Tusk rear side rack kit that includes the rear top plate. The rear top plate, along with the rear cross over bar, ties the two side racks together and makes it a robust rack solution that will help protect the rear of the bike, exhaust, signal lights, etc. and feels solid enough to grab ahold of to muscle the bike around. 

Also, I have the B&B Offroad plate holder tail tidy installed:

https://procycle.us/product/2351-license-plate-holder-bb-road-engineering

The Tusk side rack kit rear cross over bar crosses over at the bottom of the B&B plate holder and clears to the outside of it by about an inch. Our moto license plate is about 6" tall and is legible above the cross over bar. 

My top box is 21" w x 16" d x 13" tall. I drilled two additional holes in the tusk rack to fit it.

20210216_150853.jpg

20210216_150920.jpg

20210216_150909.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe (shrug). It fits my jacket but doesn't fit a helmet. It is good for local grocery runs as I do not own a car. Outside town it comes off and gets replaced with a Mosko bag.

• Like 4

On 1/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, JimmyTheHuman said:

Just to show another combo.

Rideadv.com.au Racks

Wolfman Expedition

rack1.thumb.jpg.c568297b4a43be2bc31cddf0b1d99181.jpg

rack.thumb.jpg.f8a20f2e7b81aeeb38468c7d956a5b9b.jpg

Is there anyway you can measure the width of your setup? Torn between Wolfman and Mosko Backcountry set up. Looking for a slim set up but also focused on durability above all else.