Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Luggage options

Rich TT

On 6/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, MGG said:

I think that a high exhaust would allow the panier racks to be much closer to the bike.

I have the OM tail rack but there is no way I am getting OM panier racks, or any other for that mater since they all make the bike as large as a bus. On the plus side, it's going to be easier to pick up with a wide behind.

... crazy idea ... SherpaX, trailtail or similar trailer? ... (just saying)

The SherpaX SuperSized trailer is sweet! I have it myself and use the 35 gallon tote. Can be setup with a 24 or 48 gallon tote as well. Just wish he’d get a hitch for the T7 already. 🙄 I tow it behind my WRR with ease. 

721B0E5D-FCAD-40CF-9296-BFA1A19A03E9.thumb.jpeg.66ae1a1d302055879bcc98ed48513e57.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

S W Motech racks and bags are too wide for me.  This is a picture of a friend’s bike.

I plan on running a good sized soft tank and tail bag....no side cases.

04A44224-348A-4267-BA06-0B00EE3D05F2.jpeg

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, Matth said:

Magadans fitted. I could get all my camping gear in with out loading it on the seat creating up top weight, definitely have a another set, they are soft canvas so very easy to roll the top with pockets front and rear for cooking fuel and water bottles. 

B265A31B-CE15-4F21-9BB4-6A28A9E608CF.jpeg

58B94807-E8BA-4407-A9DF-90F9DDBEC5E0.jpeg

I have some magadan panniers that I haven't really used much yet, tried them briefly on my Africa Twin but never really got a tidy solution to using them neatly.. Lots of strapping and looked a bit saggy and baggy when empty and lots of loose strap end to try and tuck in.. Have you used them for daily commuting when they are ofter empty or half full? 

Yeh empty they gonna flop around but normally i double back a strap on the bottom that pulls them up and supports the bottom really well, they take alot of kit without loading stuff on he seat so keeps weight lower down

Impressed with the stock mono seat rack myself.  Beyond its armor all slipperiness, which was simply solved with some double sided gorilla tape & a couple misfit sander belts. 

There's extra trunk space & a rubber strap under this unit  too. Any racks that mount over the rear seat must come off before the seats can.  No thanks. 

The enduristan or mosko moto rackless systems look like the absolute winners as far as saddlebags go. 

20200704_073539.jpg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matth said:

Yeh empty they gonna flop around but normally i double back a strap on the bottom that pulls them up and supports the bottom really well, they take alot of kit without loading stuff on he seat so keeps weight lower down

Oh yeah, I think they are excellent if you are lucky enough to be on a proper tour when they are constantly loaded, but I'm not lucky, I mostly commute and pop out for a quick blast. 

On 6/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, CAJW said:

Here's my Mosko R40 setup that I'm planning on putting on the T700.  Anyone have pictures of the R40 on your bike using the Adventure Spec side panels? 

20190628_150135_IMG_2892.JPG

Curious to see how well this mounts on the T7. Seems to be the best rackless system available. (Of course the most$$ too) Modular & not too large. Their R80 seems a tad too much for the tenere.

• Like 1

I have used Magadan panniers on a number of european trips and found them to very versatile and easy to use.

I use a 1" strap through the slots in the sides of the front and rear pockets and round the back of the pannier support frame to keep the bags tight to the bike whether full or empty.

Does anyone know if the hepco and becker mini rack is compatible with the T7 rally tail tidy? I don't especially want a rear rack but it may be useful for a bit more luggage room at the rear as well as an anchor point for the rear straps of a giant loop great basin. I like that it's quite light and doesn't have any side rails to get in the way.. 

3 minutes ago, Engineer said:

I have used Magadan panniers on a number of european trips and found them to very versatile and easy to use.

I use a 1" strap through the slots in the sides of the front and rear pockets and round the back of the pannier support frame to keep the bags tight to the bike whether full or empty.

Nice. I have touratech pannier frames on my Africa Twin and really like the ortlieb/touratech endurance click roll top panniers, they are very light, quick to fit and remove, roll up to almost nothing when empty and are good when partially loaded. 

using  the burmot rear rack and  ad spec  pannier racks        the bags   top hook to the burmot lifting rails and bottom to the  adv spec racks     ...slightly higher and furtherback than optimun   but still  i think putting the weight    lower than most loop type  set ups       and certainly narrower than most out there  ...need must i alreardy had the wolfmans  ..set up seems to work ok  clears the exhaust with no sheild   ..secure enough and no paint rub issues   ....it will do for me i think   seems good so far      ..i do find that lifting handle really  usful and will be   handy   i think in a picking up situation     .....  best thing is the bike is  pretty much as narrow as you will get   ..theres no right and wrong    but its a option    that works ok for me   

IMG-20200628-170017.jpg

ssss.jpg

sssss.jpg

IMG-20200623-160756-1.jpg

Edited by minkyhead
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:14 AM, Baggey22 said:

If you could snap a picture of that I'd be eternally grateful. I have an SH29 at the moment, may get a bigger case at some point. 

It took a long time and he forget to give me the spacers, but i was able to get you the pictures:

IMG_20200707_215531.thumb.jpg.9d1c98311bccf18542ef8df584dc6d0f.jpgIMG_20200707_215550.thumb.jpg.d0440a3f17272418982e71e0c34b30bc.jpgIMG_20200707_215622.thumb.jpg.afb66777be8b71a08b6e8e2a097c6195.jpgIMG_20200707_215729.thumb.jpg.919373567c79cfcc085b3fc206ecd8df.jpgIMG_20200707_215741.thumb.jpg.c2bd8449a2266606f946fb888abc0849.jpgIMG_20200707_215807.thumb.jpg.9fa42427934d1765cfd4e1b30086b4c5.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at a rack and hard cases. Should I go with the factory rack and panniers or the SW Mototech? Any advantages to either?

I like the fact I can remove the SW Motech rack from bike with a quick release. Not sure you do that with the factory rack.

Seems like an advantage to not have to put up with a rack hanging out when not on tour.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Bike looks great and the luggage is one of the best for this bike... I think @Rich TTneeds to learn how to commute with soft luggage... Might be a new trend this☺️

Aleks

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Here is what I plan to do when My T-7  gets here. It's my WRR with an ALTRIDER Hemisphere holster system  ,about 40 litres of capacity with 2 x 1.5 litres tool capacity .. I have added a 21"x 4" (ALA KLR ) tube on the left side to hold fishing rod , woodcook stove and other stuff I want to keep low .  If your day tripping I just use the holsters with a dry bag on the seat for extra clothes storage . Very versatile . I'm trying to keep weight low and minimal  while maintaining my tools and some room for safely secured fishing gear . 

image.thumb.png.3b39111ba5e4319759d7d8105231201b.png

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1992-1.jpg

Edited by Adanac Rider
  • Like 1

Mine did fine with a cheap low-tech combo: Enduristan Tornado 2L, Yamaha 38L shad bag, tent and foamie wrapped in a HD garbage bag, and an Enduristan 4H tank bag. 

I ran this for 4 days of 40/60 dirt/pavement over 1300km. Once I figured out how tight I had to get the Rokstraps (tight!), it stayed put really well. No singletrack, but some rough doubletrack. 

20200708_150900.jpg

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 3

if anyone's curious that's how Giantloop MoJavi Saddlebag looks on a bike

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

Edited by kTwenty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, we've now discussed the pro's and con's of nearly every luggage solution on the market and even the homebuilt solutions. 

Some like hard panniers, others prefer soft bags. Some riders only need a few essentials for a couple of days on the bike, others tend to pack their entire household.

We have even seen offroad trailers!

What we've not discussed until now is a question we can no longer ignore: hydration!

Imagine the following: you're on a trip with your buddies, the day comes to an end, you are ready to sit down and have a smoke and a beer. But you have no beer. You don't even know how to professionally transport beer on your bike. Well... not so good.

Fortunately, someone knew that problem would arrive to you sooner or later and they came up with a solution!

1453640939.png

German (Motorcycle) Engineering at its best!

And don't tell me you don't need this kind of equipment 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, qInvention said:

So, we've now discussed the pro's and con's of nearly every luggage solution on the market and even the homebuilt solutions. 

Some like hard panniers, others prefer soft bags. Some riders only need a few essentials for a couple of days on the bike, others tend to pack their entire household.

We have even seen offroad trailers!

What we've not discussed until now is a question we can no longer ignore: hydration!

Imagine the following: you're on a trip with your buddies, the day comes to an end, you are ready to sit down and have a smoke and a beer. But you have no beer. You don't even know how to professionally transport beer on your bike. Well... not so good.

Fortunately, someone knew that problem would arrive to you sooner or later and they came up with a solution!

1453640939.png

German (Motorcycle) Engineering at its best!

And don't tell me you don't need this kind of equipment 🤣

And I thought I've seen everything 😃👌👍

• Premium Member

Being Tenere camping, this weekend, used my MT-09 saddlebags 😀.

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, X Plane said:

Being Tenere camping, this weekend, used my MT-09 saddlebags 😀.

image.jpg

That looks great on the bike. Enjoy the camping. Just come back from two days camping myself with the kids.

• Like 1

I think It's covered with the ALTRIDER Hemisphere Holster saddlebag  

image.png

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 4:10 PM, whisperquiet said:

S W Motech racks and bags are too wide for me.  This is a picture of a friend’s bike.

I plan on running a good sized soft tank and tail bag....no side cases.

04A44224-348A-4267-BA06-0B00EE3D05F2.jpeg

Is that Rick's  setup? Way  too wide for  my  tastes. If  I  run  bags, they will be the Nelson Rigg  Adventure soft bags  that I ran  on my DR650, but haven't found  racks  for soft bags  that I  like  so far. I  am   waiting on the back ordered Outback Motortech rack to mount the Tailpack I used on my DR650. That and my Wolfman tankbag may be enough  for me.

Edited by Fredz43

That is Rick’s bike....too wide for me as well.